The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday December 28th, 2022

rafinmd

Today is Holy Innocents Day, National Download Day, and National Call A Friend Day

The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need tomorrow. Robert Tew - Writer

Meal Suggestion for today - Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
Drink of the Day - Ruby Sparkler
Wine of the Day - Aveleda 2020 Alvarinho (Minho) Portugal
Destination of the Day - Split, Croatia

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 12/29

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 12/29

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/30

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Ushuaia, Argentina eta 01/04

Rotterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caic eta 12/29

Zaandam

Bridgetown, Barbados 08:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida eta 12/29

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Auckland, New Zealand - 17:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Hobart, ETA 12/29
Capture1.JPG.ccab5bc6cd9d0b00a1eac3113601b1e6.JPGCapture2.JPG.23f917334c5b051aaed9da7fec214c3a.JPG

Roy for @richwmn

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It's supposed to warm up to 3°C (37°F) this afternoon, the snow will start to melt.

An interesting collection of days.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, but I'm going to make a turkey pot pie with the leftover turkey.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be tasty too.

We've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 24

Ruby Sparkler cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Sauza® 901® Tequila
1 part fresh Grapefruit Juice
1/2 part Lemon Juice
3/4 parts Simple Syrup
8 Raspberries
1 Lemon Wheel

Instructions
In a mixing glass, muddle five raspberries. Add remaining ingredients and shake. Strain before serving over ice in a highball glass. Garnish with skewered raspberries and a lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 6.52.32 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

A cold start today but it will warm up this afternoon to a point where I'm within cardiac guidelines this afternoon for walking outdoors.  Calling a friend is always a good idea, and some downloads are very useful but care must always be observed.  Holy Innocent's day commemorates Herod's slaying of all babies in the Holy Land after Jesus' birth.  I like the Tew quote but have never been to Croatia.  I'm not a fan of casseroles but today;s suggestion sounds interesting.  My alternative is Chilled Guanabana Soup and Penne with crisp Pancetta, my first dinner on MS Ryndam December 28, 2014.

Today’s care list:

Cruising-along DH with chemo reaction
Seasick Sailor’s friends with covid and Allen with bad cold
From the rotation:
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard LocoLoco
Eurodam

edam1228.thumb.JPG.9ee7feefa2aba764e2bf1
and Rotterdam in Everglades

rdam1228.thumb.JPG.6ef107ad249678d20b5bf
Happy Anniversary SusieKIslandGirl
Kwanzaa (to Jan 1)
Welcome home Cruisin Terri
7 days for ger_77 (Rotterdam 1/4 to 1/25)
6 days for Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam 1/3 to
1 day for crystalspin, Vict0riann, and sailingdutchy(1/31) (Koningsdam 12/29 to 1/7/23)
1 day for Gail&Marty (Zuiderdam to 5/12/23)
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2),  Kazu and Av8rix (Koningsdam  to 1/7), Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25),  indaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

@Cruzin Terri will you be back in your home tonight?

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good afternoon from a wet 44°F North East coast of England.

Many thanks Roy for compiling today's daily reports and lists.

Interesting days.

I don't necessarily agree with today's quote.

Today's food sounds nice.

Split like most ports in Croatia like Dubrovnik are lovely ports.

We visited Split in November 2013 on Royal Caribbean Splendour of the seas sailing from Venice.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Graham.

Screenshot_20221228_115410.jpg

Screenshot_20221228_115435.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily - Roy/Rich! It is already 42 here this morning and the sun has lightened the Eastern sky. 

Roy, thank you for doing triple duty! I appreciate your efforts. I still do not know if I am dealing with a cold or a sinus issue, but if I do not have real cold symptoms by tomorrow night - I will know. I am going to stay close to home today, too. Looks like Bindi walks for me. 

My neighbor shared these with me. 😎

5B17D26B-3F67-4EFF-B1FD-6232D0C21569.jpeg.2172702d51515060aeabbc2514d88969.jpeg

5D3378FE-3382-48C4-890E-039375E42173.jpeg.7036783c481d50a58a8f124fe5b662af.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! 

Get well & stay well everyone!

Aveleda 2020 Alvarinho (Minho) Portugal

This white wine sounds interesting. I would love to taste it. It does not sound sweet, but I have never experienced this grape/wine before. I found it on a couple online distributors with prices starting at $10.99.

Winemaker Notes

Pale yellow with hints of gold. Discreet aromas of grapefruit, white peaches and white flowers. On the palate this wine is incredibly structured and smooth, revealing more prominent notes of orange zest, pineapple and orange blossom.

Critical Acclaim

WE90 Wine Enthusiast

Alvarinho at its ripe and creamy best, this is bright with apple fruits that give the wine freshness. The mineral texture adds a touch of steeliness and complexity to a white that is very ready to drink. Best Buy

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 7

Good morning from the Volendam, rough seas and cloudy on our way to Turks and Caicos.  We are enjoying our time aboard already. Right now wifi is working. While we were in the upstairs boarding lounge a young man came in with a huge amount of equipment bins and requested to board because he was a technician. We said hope he was an internet technician.  All great other than a hiccup with my RA medicine needing refrigeration.  Medical center opened at 4 so I had to request an wine ice bucket from our stewards to stash it since it was out of refrigerator since 10. No fridge in our ocean view.  

@lindalerLinda I sure hope they can find your missing Luggage forwarding bags.  

We ate in Canaletto last night.  Since I am 4 Star this cruise I pre booked most dinners in specialty restaurants to avoid the crowding in MDR.  Much self serve in Lido and I have spotted about 5 people wearing masks on this very full ship.  Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine.  Have a wonderful day! 

IMG_20221227_174545434.jpg

IMG_20221227_174558373.jpg

IMG_20221227_181254245.jpg

• Like 29

Good morning friends!  After a long night's sleep I am feeling able to handle the chores we have for today, like laundry and grocery shopping (maybe).  We also have to pay our property taxes this week and always do that in person to make sure the US mail doesn't fail us.  😄  It's about 27F but we're expecting sunshine and mid 50's for our high temp today.  Sure beats the single digits we've had in the past week while visiting family. 

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor posting the Daily for Rich @richwmn.  Great job!  Also thanks for the Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers were said before I got up to do my treadmill work.  I like the three days of celebration and the chicken and broccoli casserole sounds like a good one.  Cheers for the many CC members on a cruise ship or preparing for it.  Also for all the good health reports coming in.  On to the port of the day!

Split, Croatia is a beautiful place to visit, in fact the whole country is.  Here is a link to Rich's post from the previous posting in case you would like to go back and copy/paste your photos from back then.

We visited Split on a 2017 3 week Mediterranean cruise on Westerdam.  The last time Split was port of the day I had a hair appointment and couldn't post photos until later in the day.  Therefore I only posted a few that others hadn't already posted.  Here are my photos from then.

Here's the infamous esplanade called the Riva where we crossed paths with a Michigan Wolverine (DS is a U of M graduate and faculty member).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIF2xpy-rYIb0PzOZYyn7OI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946156

A photo of Gregory of Nin, a famous bishop.  He's 28' tall but he looks so much taller due to the angle I took this photo.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJs9yIt8PAYwxLMv-CcI0Rc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946485

Rubbing his toe is supposed to bring you good luck!

Diocletian's Palace and Peristil Square.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXML-PRaMMdWXHPSO3Trjm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946385

This is the Oculus, a hole in the roof of the Imperial audience hall of Diocletian's Palace.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVISW6IYwO-kWjCEmlewyUwo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946443

Leaving Split later that day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJcXNCUy67-tm6AOgE6qbiZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946554

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKL-KuaKy2A2r9NYtCZyn2a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503946549

It was an awesome stop on our Mediterranean cruise.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning from the Volendam, rough seas and cloudy on our way to Turks and Caicos.  We are enjoying our time aboard already. Right now wifi is working. While we were in the upstairs boarding lounge a young man came in with a huge amount of equipment bins and requested to board because he was a technician. We said hope he was an internet technician.  All great other than a hiccup with my RA medicine needing refrigeration.  Medical center opened at 4 so I had to request an wine ice bucket from our stewards to stash it since it was out of refrigerator since 10. No fridge in our ocean view.  

@lindalerLinda I sure hope they can find your missing Luggage forwarding bags.  

We ate in Canaletto last night.  Since I am 4 Star this cruise I pre booked most dinners in specialty restaurants to avoid the crowding in MDR.  Much self serve in Lido and I have spotted about 5 people wearing masks on this very full ship.  Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine.  Have a wonderful day! 

IMG_20221227_174545434.jpg

IMG_20221227_174558373.jpg

IMG_20221227_181254245.jpg

Glad all is well so far, except internet.  It worked most of the time during the Amazon cruise.  I agree that most people do not wear masks on the ship even though the Captain pleads with people to wear them.  At least he did during our cruise.  It depends on the rising cases of Covid I guess.  We wore ours but thankfully no one chastised us for taking care of ourselves.  DH would have ripped into them!  LOL

Oh no on @lindaler's bag going missing!  Surely it will be located before the Grand SA&A.  It's sounding like Air Tags might be a good idea in the future if they can't do a better job of handling them.  Thank you for posting today from the Volendam, Nancy.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is 37 degrees out with bright sunshine.i  would love to go outside but need to wait until I am walking with a cane.The recipe sounds interesting  but I am busy making twice baked potatoes  to go with roast chicken tonight.The executive  chef and I are looking for something  for the vegetarians to have.I find just doing this much to be tiring so will rest while the potatoes  bake.

We have not been to the port and I am not sure  I agree with the quote. Thanks to all who post pictures. 

@cunnorl, I am glad someone voiced a complaint  about the bus driver. Over the years I heard similar  horror stories  from my patients using wheelchairs.I am, however,so glad you are enjoying your cruise.

@RedneckBob,  that picture is gorgeous!

We are waiting for a new aide to arrive  today.Fingers crossed.

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 25

Good morning, everyone!

We are on a warming trend here in mid-Michigan with temps up to 40F and a bit of sun peeking through the clouds today.  Last night we had a gorgeous sunset.  Today we are planning to go down to Frankenmuth, a 40 minute drive from here.  Bronners is a Christmas store open year round and we're hoping we can pick up some deals.  We want a tall tree for the living room for next year.  We are debating whether to eat linner (late lunch, early dinner) at the Bavarian Inn or Zehnders while we are there.  Right now it sounds like way too much food to me.  

Today's meal is a great one.  You can make it in advance and have it on hand for a busy evening.  It is warm and comforting for a cold winter night.  And, it is really easy.  You can substitute left over turkey for the chicken.  You can substitute riced cauliflower for the rice.  It is very versatile.   https://thecozycook.com/broccoli-cheddar-chicken-and-rice-casserole/

1626232813_chickenandbroccolicasserole1.thumb.jpg.7af2b2c89a7ff511220ce6af3f01444c.jpg

You can also add in other vegetables.  Make it your own!   https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/one-pot-cheesy-chicken-broccoli-rice-casserole/

1216078314_chickenandbroccolicasserole2.thumb.jpg.a472318ebf39bd325523f4ff58b0310a.jpg

Here is a version that is keto friendly (low carb).  Basically, you leave out the rice.  I'd probably add in zoodles or riced cauliflower to help bulk it up a bit.  https://www.maebells.com/broccoli-chicken-casserole-keto-low-carb/

1863170167_chickenandbroccolicasserole3.thumb.jpg.64a474d20001d120a8fae234cf77d233.jpg

This last one does not use a canned creamed soup to make the sauce.  I think I'd like that better as I'm not a fan of canned soup.  It also helps cut down on the amount of sodium in the dish.   https://www.wellplated.com/chicken-broccoli-rice-casserole/

2087133836_chickenandbroccolicasserole4.thumb.jpg.7e3d96e6a085069a2a3e8a5634385ca3.jpg

So, use up some of that leftover turkey in a great creamy, cheesy casserole and pop it in the freezer for late January, early February.   

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.   

• Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I don't recall hearing about Holy Innocents Day, but in catechism class at school, I remember the story of Moses being hidden in a basket in the reeds.  Strange, the things we remember from our childhood.  DH is always downloading things and I keep telling him to stop or we'll end up with a virus.  I think I'll call a friend today, thanks for the reminder.

We had snow again overnight - about 4" of the stuff came down.  Fortunately, it's light and fluffy, not wet, heavy, heart-attack snow.  DH has to go back to the denturist for  a re-lining of his plate this morning, so we'll have to get the little snowblower out to clear the driveway.  I noticed our back patio was shoveled clear, so at some time during the day, the folks from the Crocus Co-op  for people with mental health disabilities must have arrived and made it accessible for us.  Bless them!

Well the suitcases are out on the spare bed, and I've started going through the clothes to see what gets packed and what stays home.  The carry-ons are on the floor, so Sochi has been inspecting them inside and out to see if there's room for her to come along.  She doesn't go on the beds, so whatever luggage is there is safe from her long hair.  I'll have to make sure to use the lint brush on the inside of our carry-ons, though, as she's sure to have left her calling cards in both of them.

@lindalerOh, I hope they are able to locate your luggage . . . I can't imagine how you're feeling.

I like today's menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for broccoli - I could make it with cauliflower, provided I had chicken on hand.  Unfortunately, I don't even have turkey, as we left all the leftovers with our family in Calgary, rather than toting it home with us.  DH mentioned we hadn't had salmon for a while, so we'll be having baked salmon with rice pilaf and mixed vegetables at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially for those in the path of the storms.  Cheers to all with celebrations in their life.  Be well, stay safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Thank you for the Daily Report.  I really want to get out of the house today.  I have gift cards for a bookstore, so I've told dh I want to go there.  I have a lot of books on my TBR (To Be Read) list that I already have in my library, so I really should read those first. I also need to go to either Walmart or Costco, but I don't really want to go to either of those stores until the kids are back in school.

• Like 21

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounded good and @dfish confirmed it with pictures and recipes, thank you for sharing.  Last night I picked up River’s meds and I picked up some half priced Reese’s and earned $5 for my next visit.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.aef6b06dad42c2b0d0aeb842ae8d42bb.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 11

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We are on a warming trend here in mid-Michigan with temps up to 40F and a bit of sun peeking through the clouds today.  Last night we had a gorgeous sunset.  Today we are planning to go down to Frankenmuth, a 40 minute drive from here.  Bronners is a Christmas store open year round and we're hoping we can pick up some deals.  We want a tall tree for the living room for next year.  We are debating whether to eat linner (late lunch, early dinner) at the Bavarian Inn or Zehnders while we are there.  Right now it sounds like way too much food to me.  

Today's meal is a great one.  You can make it in advance and have it on hand for a busy evening.  It is warm and comforting for a cold winter night.  And, it is really easy.  You can substitute left over turkey for the chicken.  You can substitute riced cauliflower for the rice.  It is very versatile.   https://thecozycook.com/broccoli-cheddar-chicken-and-rice-casserole/

1626232813_chickenandbroccolicasserole1.thumb.jpg.7af2b2c89a7ff511220ce6af3f01444c.jpg

You can also add in other vegetables.  Make it your own!   https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/one-pot-cheesy-chicken-broccoli-rice-casserole/

1216078314_chickenandbroccolicasserole2.thumb.jpg.a472318ebf39bd325523f4ff58b0310a.jpg

Here is a version that is keto friendly (low carb).  Basically, you leave out the rice.  I'd probably add in zoodles or riced cauliflower to help bulk it up a bit.  https://www.maebells.com/broccoli-chicken-casserole-keto-low-carb/

1863170167_chickenandbroccolicasserole3.thumb.jpg.64a474d20001d120a8fae234cf77d233.jpg

This last one does not use a canned creamed soup to make the sauce.  I think I'd like that better as I'm not a fan of canned soup.  It also helps cut down on the amount of sodium in the dish.   https://www.wellplated.com/chicken-broccoli-rice-casserole/

2087133836_chickenandbroccolicasserole4.thumb.jpg.7e3d96e6a085069a2a3e8a5634385ca3.jpg

So, use up some of that leftover turkey in a great creamy, cheesy casserole and pop it in the freezer for late January, early February.   

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.   

Thanks for the chicken/broccoli casserole recipes.  Looks like comfort food to me!

We used to enjoy a trip to Frankenmuth to Bronner's while Midland residents.  It was a big hit when twin and/or Mom came to visit.   Who doesn't like Christmas stores and Bronner's is the king of them all.   World's Largest Christmas store!  Have a great time.

• Like 20