The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday December 28th, 2022

rafinmd

4afc4f69c42aad2eeb7c0247c168200b.jpg

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  

We are still under a boil water warning.  I went up to Walgreens yesterday to buy some bottled water, and from the look of the place, they were one of the businesses that had broken pipes, there were air dryers on every aisle, up and down the store.  All the fancy  polish on the floor, was gone, water stains pretty much every where.  But they were open for business.

Then Donna called on her way home and brought us at least 30 bottles of water.  Today I will have to shower in tan water, but I have bathed in ponds in Maine,  I guess I can do tan water.  The news finally had a tiny blip about the water situation- "some people in Dekalb County have to boil water".  Yup that was it.  

The weatherman did announce that we will not have anymore below freezing temperatures for the rest of the week.  We wont have to let the faucets drip tonight!  Off to do some grocery shopping and find breakfast.  

@lindaler I hope the lost luggage shows up.

db44bee410694c8116be636639eca466.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

Good morning! Fresh homemade tamales for breakfast. So mucho bueno! Kind of a gray 42 degree morning out there with temps forecasted to reach 62 degrees.

We took advantage of son visiting and did a major clean out of our attic. Son wanted his old bunk bed, model trains etc and while we were at it we threw a lot of stuff away. We now have about six bins of recycling waste so it will take a few weeks to get rid of all. Neighbors without full bins have volunteered to help.

Lunch on the bay at Lulu’s is still on the schedule.

I’m running out of MeMe’s so will need to do some searching.

Roy thanks for the report and care list and all who contribute.

@lindalerI do hope your lost luggage is found soon.

image.jpeg.53d5d2f352604b985e34f634716adfe5.jpegimage.jpeg.5aef449bc6ed8da143c32234e3fa64b3.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Haha 8

@dfishenjoy your trip to Bronner's.  It has been on our to do list.  My DH and I would drive through on our trips to and from Maryland but with a 2 day drive with 2 cats in the back it never worked out.  Walked through Lido this morning it was packed and 50% self serve.  We will be eating breakfast in there going forward.  Cold coffee in MDR and patty sausage that looked and tasted like  Beyond Meat.  They have my favorite Swabian Rye bread in the Lido.  Nancy

• Like 20

Good morning from sunny, breezy and warmer, 47F, central Texas.  I don't think we got below freezing last night; the first night since last Thursday.

Three good days to celebrate.  Since DH had a software company, we have always been careful about down loads.

The Robert Tew quote is interesting, and I think some struggles do help us be stronger going forward.

The meal looks good, but will save it for another time.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  

We have been to Split twice.  Once on Prinsendam in 2016, and once on Veendam in 2019, our last cruise in Europe.

@lindaler  Linda, how awful to have your luggage go missing.  I hope they find it and get it to you soon.

@RedneckBob  Beautiful picture.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope you start feeling better soon.  As a Texan who has lived in the north for several years, I can appreciate both memes.

@smitty34877  Terry, that's good news that you are able to cook, and know when to rest.  🤞  Hoping the new aide arrives today and is a good fit for Tana.

@marshhawk  Annie, glad you got some bottled water, and I hope they get the problem fixed soon.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I bet you're happy to get the attic cleaning and straightening out of the way.  I did that a year or so ago, and now can find things and can move around the attic.  I'm still waiting for the DDs to come go through their boxes, which are now most of the boxes.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is 37 degrees out with bright sunshine.i  would love to go outside but need to wait until I am walking with a cane.The recipe sounds interesting  but I am busy making twice baked potatoes  to go with roast chicken tonight.The executive  chef and I are looking for something  for the vegetarians to have.I find just doing this much to be tiring so will rest while the potatoes  bake.

We have not been to the port and I am not sure  I agree with the quote. Thanks to all who post pictures. 

@cunnorl, I am glad someone voiced a complaint  about the bus driver. Over the years I heard similar  horror stories  from my patients using wheelchairs.I am, however,so glad you are enjoying your cruise.

@RedneckBob,  that picture is gorgeous!

We are waiting for a new aide to arrive  today.Fingers crossed.

Have a great day everyone. 

Thanks. Just lucky we were home and was not asleep 😀

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from sunny, breezy and warmer, 47F, central Texas.  I don't think we got below freezing last night; the first night since last Thursday.

Three good days to celebrate.  Since DH had a software company, we have always been careful about down loads.

The Robert Tew quote is interesting, and I think some struggles do help us be stronger going forward.

The meal looks good, but will save it for another time.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  

We have been to Split twice.  Once on Prinsendam in 2016, and once on Veendam in 2019, our last cruise in Europe.

@lindaler  Linda, how awful to have your luggage go missing.  I hope they find it and get it to you soon.

@RedneckBob  Beautiful picture.

@cat shepard  Ann, I hope you start feeling better soon.  As a Texan who has lived in the north for several years, I can appreciate both memes.

@smitty34877  Terry, that's good news that you are able to cook, and know when to rest.  🤞  Hoping the new aide arrives today and is a good fit for Tana.

@marshhawk  Annie, glad you got some bottled water, and I hope they get the problem fixed soon.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I bet you're happy to get the attic cleaning and straightening out of the way.  I did that a year or so ago, and now can find things and can move around the attic.  I'm still waiting for the DDs to come go through their boxes, which are now most of the boxes.  🤣

Lenda

Thanks. Very lucky to be at the right place at the right time.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Lenda

We also were able to gain back another closet!😁

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 10
  • Haha 4

We were in Split on October 14, 2016, on Prinsendam, and again on August 8, 2019 on Veendam.  The difference in the crowds between the two visits was amazing.

These are random pictures from 2016, when we walked through the old walled city.  The first three are from our walk along the wall to the entrance to the old city.

DSC08240.thumb.JPG.b4b148aa2588d42d7af4b10c031f089a.JPG

DSC08241.thumb.JPG.05354bbd3083650441413ccc5cff401f.JPG

DSC08242.thumb.JPG.bf52f37261bab8bc22ec321c0961e8fd.JPG

Entering the walled city

DSC08243.thumb.JPG.82931e966bdf82d8e719a52ebddda820.JPG

Some pictures from our walk through the city.

DSC08250.thumb.JPG.a96095eb721ccf6994c95eba0e9a0720.JPG

DSC08252.thumb.JPG.7b29ec2548d5d8225a763d8d6b55cf08.JPG

The shopping arcade that is under part of the walled city

DSC08255.thumb.JPG.1b0e3486f6fc83b5611604fa8c5def54.JPG

I took one picture of the same place on both visits, and they show the difference between the crowds in summer and in fall.  The first is from 2016.

DSC08247.thumb.JPG.0fdf08a26f6a02e77723188932b3ae13.JPG

DSC07679.thumb.JPG.a589b5ead188af7336e7dad2ae368a0c.JPG

In 2019, at the recommendation from a friend, we visited a specialty Museum.  To get to the museum we walked along the side of the walled city and then along the street in back of the wall.

DSC07663.thumb.JPG.d3b12ee57c72e88e9336ae91be76e7f1.JPG

DSC07666.thumb.JPG.4e7d9c93eeb2f7500d2c097d9bdd2c06.JPG

DSC07668.thumb.JPG.e1e2c929de725563d9a2b1f1d61fb964.JPG

DSC07671.thumb.JPG.d30c2365594be4025c6b213171c60b9a.JPG

The Froggyland museum.  As you can see from the sign, the stuffed frogs, set in various scenes are more than 100 years old and were real stuffed frogs.  It was interesting, but I'm not sure worth the 10 Euros admission.  We were not allowed to take pictures inside.

DSC07673.thumb.JPG.525e9ad75f40942c44a2927b13656446.JPG

After Froggyland, we continued on the back street until we could turn along the wall and enter the old city.

DSC07677.thumb.JPG.edb371028d7222923adf952d1140bb45.JPG

We found a back street with some interesting ruins.

DSC07682.thumb.JPG.3bde7c0290fffd0e407fd3158df3fd4d.JPG

DSC07683.thumb.JPG.451bdc3ae2bdc47753b19ea5fdc660d6.JPG

DSC07688.thumb.JPG.c7ae15cbca733996ae4e4bfad77100f5.JPG

DSC07691.thumb.JPG.78e370bca7383976a5165ebe377acb1f.JPG

Our walk back to Veendam, which was the smallest of several ships in port, and docked the furthest  from town.

DSC07692.thumb.JPG.34f92334acec84349c45bea045e4e093.JPG

DSC07694.thumb.JPG.de644f65644e9c41c718f4d950b2f9f7.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good morning to all. Temp here is currently 32F and we are having a light snow mixed with some rain. That will probably freeze later. And snow is supposed to get heavier by mid afternoon. We shall see. I plan to go shovel a path for little Naughty dog since he is not happy right now. Since it is cold and wet, I will devote today to working on clearing out a file cabinet that has lots of stuff in it I no longer need to keep. And laundry including a throw rug that seems to getting blessed by the Chi. Also need to make a few phone calls that will probably mean being on hold for some time. Better bring out a good book.

From the shelter side, I have not heard if Mama dog has had her pups. Our Thrift Store Manager is in the last week of employment (she is retiring and looking forward to it) and wouldn't you know... she has Covid. Her husband had it about a week ago. Drat.

Susan

• Like 19

Thank you Rich, double-thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

We are watching with bated breath for our cruise in three weeks on the Carnival Legend. Sue noticed on the Carnival FB page that there were heating issues for the staterooms on last week's cruise aboard the Legend. Passengers were complaining of staterooms being 52 degrees with no heat, stewards giving them extra blankets, and needing to walk around with coats on in the public areas! What was really bad was the passengers were told that the Legend was not equipped with heat.

I can't believe that there isn't heating equipment onboard. Disturbing if the senior crew is not forthcoming with the reason for no heat. The Legend sails during winter from Baltimore which is a cold region.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Back home. Safely. Thankfully.

Sunday's 4.5 hour drive downstate can only be described as hellish. It took 50% longer than usual on snow packed, icy state highways and interstates none of which had even one clear lane to reach my DH's son's.

I should have turned back. That would have been wisest. But, I kept thinking that my DH's sister (DSIL) likely won't be with us much longer and who knows what or whom my dear DH will remember by next Christmas. So, I kept white knuckling it.

We arrived late to DH's son's but had a nice Christmas afternoon and evening with him and his wife's extended family including five kids ages 3-13. Such unbounded energy!

After a restful night, we left Monday for a much easier 2 hr drive to my DSIL's. My DH and his sister had a sweet visit. They reminisced a lot about farm life, the one room school they attended, and growing up. My DH didn't remember much but he eagerly looked at pictures DSIL had ready to share and she sweetly answered, "I didn't know that" to his confused stories.

Yesterday, was our 4 hr drive home. It felt much longer despite decent roads as my hands and shoulders (and probably my mind, too) were remembering the horrid Sunday drive. 

But, I'm glad I managed the trip. It was an important visit. DSIL is clearly weaker, less mobile, and has less 'fight' than at our last visit. The tears shared as we left told more than any of us wanted to say aloud...

But, I'm going nowhere near the car today! Today, I've self-prescribed resting, reading -- and catching up with The Daily -- as my most strenuous activities. Dinner will be something found in the freezer.

Until caught up, I send my 🙏 and my 🎉 to those on the lists. And, to you all I wish a great end to 2022 and a wonderful start to the approaching new year.

-Melisa

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Sunday's 4.5 hour drive downstate can only be described as hellish. It took 50% longer than usual on snow packed, icy state highways and interstates none of which had even one clear lane to reach my DH's son's.

I should have turned back. That would have been wisest. But, I kept thinking that my DH's sister (DSIL) likely won't be with us much longer and who knows what or whom my dear DH will remember by next Christmas. So, I kept white knuckling it.

We arrived late to DH's son's but had a nice Christmas afternoon and evening with him and his wife's extended family including five kids ages 3-13. Such unbounded energy!

After a restful night, we left Monday for a much easier 2 hr drive to my DSIL's. My DH and his sister had a sweet visit. They reminisced a lot about farm life, the one room school they attended, and growing up. My DH didn't remember much but he eagerly looked at pictures DSIL had ready to share and she sweetly answered, "I didn't know that" to his confused stories.

Yesterday, was our 4 hr drive home. It felt much longer despite decent roads as my hands and shoulders (and probably my mind, too) were remembering the horrid Sunday drive. 

But, I'm glad I managed the trip. It was an important visit. DSIL is clearly weaker, less mobile, and has less 'fight' than at our last visit. The tears shared as we left told more than any of us wanted to say aloud...

But, I'm going nowhere near the car today! Today, I've self-prescribed resting, reading -- and catching up with The Daily -- as my most strenuous activities. Dinner will be something found in the freezer.

Until caught up, I send my 🙏 and my 🎉 to those on the lists. And, to you all I wish a great end to 2022 and a wonderful start to the approaching new year.

-Melisa

@HAL SailerGlad you are home safely.... and that you got to make that trip, as stressful as it must have been. Relax and rest now.

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@Cruzin Terri will you be back in your home tonight?

We are staying in Jacksonville tonight.  We have no idea if the furniture is back in the house yet.

I don’t expect to stay there for a few more days or even a week or two.  The only thing I know is that the work is done.  Not sure of anything else.  Will let you know when I know.  Not before tomorrow.

Terri

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

-Melisa

Melissa, glad you mage it safely. Relax. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  It’s a dreary day, very cloudy and supposed to rain or drizzle all day. Our highest temperature for the day is long gone and going down to the 40’s this evening.

I have an appointment with our PCC on Friday. I still haven’t decided which cruise to book.  Not much else going on here. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll remember Holy Innocents day; I'm often downloading something but always scan for viruses. I will call a friend today. Interesting quote. The meal looks good, but I'm going out for Indian food later. I'll pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Split.

It's 40 and the sun is shining! The snow and ice are melting finally. I had trouble getting to sleep last night (maybe due to the big Mexican meal I had and the strawberry margarita, my first alcohol in months), but finally got a good night's sleep. I'm going with BFF for Indian and meeting another friend there.

@SusieKIslandGirl Happy Anniversary!

@ottahand7 That meal looks good. I'll have to plan around my refrigerated RA med when I travel.

@RedneckBob Great sunset picture.

@lindaler Sorry to hear about missing bags!

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the great pictures from Split.

@smitty34877 Try not to overdo it, and get lots of rest if you can. I hope the new aide arrives today and is a good one.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I've ordered from Bronner's but never been there. I'd like to go for the German food in the area too.

@marshhawk I hope the water issue is fixed soon. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely pictures from Split. 

@Heartgrove That sounds awful on the Legend; I can't believe she doesn't have heat.

@HAL Sailer I'm glad you got home safely after that scary journey. Nice that DH had a good visit with DSIL. 

@bennybear Thanks for the excellent photos.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all!

It's a cloudy morning, 41F but not raining at least for the moment.  It has come down so hard the last few days, I worry about flooding in other areas.

All good days today.  I guess Rich was a day early when he called me yesterday from Cozumel after spending the afternoon with a mutual friend.  It was good to catch up with him.

I'll pass on the meal, but would probably like the wine and drink.  We finally finished up the turkey last night, I'm feeling like some beef tonight lol.  

The anti-nausea meds seem to have worked for DH, no problems this time -- yay!  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor including him in the care list.

We have been to Split at least twice, in 2019 and 2021.  The first time we went to Omis and took an amazing river cruise.  The last time we just wandered around Old Town Split and had a very nice day then too.  Like all of Croatia, it's a beautiful and unusual port.

Photos from Omis and the river boat cruise in 2019:

We took a tour to the town of Omis and took a riverboat ride through the gorgeous canyons along the river.  The photos really don't do it justice, I remember thinking I'd love to do that tour again!

Omis

1265634423_Omisalley.thumb.jpg.8d591d16c014c15834385196c20a6888.jpg

1520557314_Omistown.jpg.0839e77c070fa69df6f6813d0353be4d.jpg

Where we started the riverboat ride through the canyons

1596854435_riverboatride.jpg.5e1e55ecd4452cdc90c576e969f38bd0.jpg

Can you see the person ziplining?  

1473503655_ziplining.jpg.a8ddde05ad69081a9aaebcfa4705f1e2.jpg

boating.thumb.jpg.1409f0ad5855e53179f59c0b702f9690.jpg

And of course the cats....so many I wished I could take home!

Omis.thumb.jpg.deda6e9a97bc290fa9c7c8b3c6ec8af5.jpg

Omis from Split.jpg

And the last time we were there (last year) we walked around Old Town Split and had another very nice day.

Gorgeous evening skies over Spllit

1492466243_eveningskiesoverSplit.jpg.8500c5d6b9297f2cbd396411447c90f3.jpg

Bell Tower in Old Town

1941702358_BellTower.thumb.jpg.04189fdf6541df78242b54f748f1a9e5.jpg

652162119_GladiatorsSplit.thumb.jpg.619ce5ecb741d447573589bd290e9b99.jpg

Diocletian Palace

1671985297_DiocletianPalace.jpg.ffa91f06d884a4f0a3d585b06a33f92c.jpg

Entrance to crypt

1339034157_entrancetocrypt.jpg.52bb273040a84b6fa39a3d755c576703.jpg

crypt.jpg.78c07910e3cf9c1095b0ac829a9e676d.jpg

Cathedral of Domnius

1023181604_CathedralofDomnius.thumb.jpg.dac994e607b5e0507c506e6ad71d3d79.jpg

Cathedral ceiling

2051478594_Cathedralceiling.jpg.b5ef234ed519eada155f1874f4d574ce.jpg

Cathedral.thumb.jpg.d3dabc495592a764119a84b8f748a7be.jpg

This kitty was such a hoot.  At first I thought he/she was hungry and begging for food (he/she "talked and talked" to me) but then I saw a bowl of food nearby. 😉  

843047815_talkativekittyinSplit.jpg.7c632fb447ef02ed29efbf372f475b4e.jpg

The Green Market

1060958852_GreenMarket.jpg.53684b864d3b4a4a30de681e5f6851aa.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

-Melisa

I am glad you made  it but it certainly sounds like awful driving.Take care today.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, double-thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

We are watching with bated breath for our cruise in three weeks on the Carnival Legend. Sue noticed on the Carnival FB page that there were heating issues for the staterooms on last week's cruise aboard the Legend. Passengers were complaining of staterooms being 52 degrees with no heat, stewards giving them extra blankets, and needing to walk around with coats on in the public areas! What was really bad was the passengers were told that the Legend was not equipped with heat.

I can't believe that there isn't heating equipment onboard. Disturbing if the senior crew is not forthcoming with the reason for no heat. The Legend sails during winter from Baltimore which is a cold region.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Jack, I hope they get the heat issues fixed by the time you board the ship.  I can't understand why a ship would be built without heat, and think that was bad information.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning to all. Temp here is currently 32F and we are having a light snow mixed with some rain. That will probably freeze later. And snow is supposed to get heavier by mid afternoon. We shall see. I plan to go shovel a path for little Naughty dog since he is not happy right now. Since it is cold and wet, I will devote today to working on clearing out a file cabinet that has lots of stuff in it I no longer need to keep. And laundry including a throw rug that seems to getting blessed by the Chi. Also need to make a few phone calls that will probably mean being on hold for some time. Better bring out a good book.

From the shelter side, I have not heard if Mama dog has had her pups. Our Thrift Store Manager is in the last week of employment (she is retiring and looking forward to it) and wouldn't you know... she has Covid. Her husband had it about a week ago. Drat.

Susan

Susan, be careful shoveling a path for Monty.  Sorry the Thrift Store manager has covid and during her last week before retiring.

-Melisa

Melisa, glad you made it home after your nerve-wracking drive.  It was good that your DH and his sister had a good visit.  Get some rest and relaxation.  In the future, I'm sure you will cherish the memories of your visit with DSIL.

26 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We are staying in Jacksonville tonight.  We have no idea if the furniture is back in the house yet.

I don’t expect to stay there for a few more days or even a week or two.  The only thing I know is that the work is done.  Not sure of anything else.  Will let you know when I know.  Not before tomorrow.

Terri

Terri, safe travels today and tomorrow.  It's good that most of the work is complete, and you will be back in your house soon.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning to all from the Koningsdam at sea.

Hoping everyone is having a good day and the weather has started to co-operate for everyone flying or travelling 🤞 

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them 🙏🏻 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1