Pre Paying DSC

gmbhardy

1 minute ago, gmbhardy said:

If you pre pay your daily service charge can you request it back at the end of the cruise?

I don't know the answer, but it's so funny, I had a similar thought when looking to book with another line.

There's a standard 'Sail Away' rate offered, and a rate that includes drinks, wifi and gratuities. I did wonder if the service wasn't up to scratch and I wanted to adjust, would I be able to?

With all the cuts in service I am not prepaying mine and will have it removed. Its pure profit for the line.

Unless they can show me spreadsheets with cost allocations showing how it is directly paid out to the employees I want no part of it. I am paying enough to go on a cruise. Cruising was much simpler in the 90's. You would just get on the boat, show up to eat when you were told, and didn't have a rulebook as to specialty dining limits. You simply said you wanted 3 or 4 filet minions and extra lobster and they gave it to you. When you brought your own rum to a bar, they were nice and gave  you free coke and ice to water it down. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

I wonder why people who complain before even getting on their cruise bother to cruise.

Why do you want to get back your few dollars that you pay for gratuities?  There are so many people who work behind the scenes to make your cruise a joy.  They are galley staff, waiters, stewards even your laundry staff.  Yes, your laundry staff.  The majority of the people who serve you are working on the ship for 8 or 9 months, 7 days a week with little time off.  I doubt that you would be able to handle that.

There maybe some things you may not like on a cruise but does that mean you must punish everyone for an indiscretion?  

If you think NCL, or any cruise line for that matter, is trying to screw you at every turn go elsewhere.  Try going to a resort or just a nice city  and stay at a hotel, buy your own meals and drinks, take your own  transportation to wherever you want to go and see how much you SPEND!

Those of us who are able to go on cruises are very blessed especially when we look at what is happening in many places in the world.

Enjoy your cruises and enjoy your life.

happytotravel

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

and a rate that includes drinks, wifi and gratuities

That may be a UK thing.  In the US the cruise line is not offering gratuities as part of the initial rate offered during booking, but you can select to pre-pay gratuities during booking or at final payment.

The gratuities you might be thinking of as being included are the gratuities for the beverage and dining package, which are included in the fares for you folks and added as a line-item for us in the US.

12 hours ago, HowardK said:

With all the cuts in service I am not prepaying mine and will have it removed. Its pure profit for the line.

Unless they can show me spreadsheets with cost allocations showing how it is directly paid out to the employees I want no part of it. I am paying enough to go on a cruise. Cruising was much simpler in the 90's. You would just get on the boat, show up to eat when you were told, and didn't have a rulebook as to specialty dining limits. You simply said you wanted 3 or 4 filet minions and extra lobster and they gave it to you. When you brought your own rum to a bar, they were nice and gave  you free coke and ice to water it down. 

Wow. Can't believe your logic. The crew works extremely hard to make your vacation a great vacation. And you don't want to pay for gratuities??

Then, don't cruise!!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

If you pre pay your daily service charge can you request it back at the end of the cruise?

Why would you????

The crew works sooooo hard to make your cruise a happy and memorable experience.

Like I suggested to someone else...

Then don't cruise!!

13 hours ago, HowardK said:

Do you also stiff all of your waiters because they can not produce a spreadsheet on how they share their tip with their bus boys and kitchen staff??? Or is it pure profit to the waiter who stiffs all of the hard working behind the scenes peeps in a restaurant?

1 hour ago, cruiseat50 said:

I really wish that the cruise lines would just raise the rates to include the dsc so then the crew wouldn't be stiffed when cheap-_ _ _ people have them removed.

I too wish businesses would actually pay their employees a competitive wage that allows them to live and not pass the salary requirements on patrons.

Part of the reason I loved Sandals so much was the only tipping allowed even was for the butler.

Cruise lines love to play games hiding the true total cost though. Royal you can't even see the drink package and such prices until after you book as an example.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

I too wish businesses would actually pay their employees a competitive wage that allows them to live and not pass the salary requirements on patrons.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this would work. Could you explain?

If the cruise line upped the crew's wages, where would this additional money come from if not "passed on to the patrons"? No matter what, every single dime of every single employee's salary comes from the businesses patrons.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this would work. Could you explain?

If the cruise line upped the crew's wages, where would this additional money come from if not "passed on to the patrons"? No matter what, every single dime of every single employee's salary comes from the businesses patrons.

And many of the people who currently complain about the DSC and say that it should be included in the fare will suddenly find that they can no longer keep taking that discount by removing the DSC and will complain that their cruises are now more expensive. 🙂

• Like 2