For fans of Seabourn, why?

jjeffjb

For me, most of the true luxury lines (Silversea, Regent, Seabourn, etc.) are equally good and I do not give all of my business to just one. What makes the difference for me in choosing one over another is ship, itinerary and price. When one line has a good deal on an itinerary I want to experience, at a time I want to do it, and on a ship that I really like, I book it. 

• Like 7

The positive conviviality among passengers that we have experienced on Seabourn has been unlike our experience on any other line.  Most of the passengers are super-friendly and are dedicated to enjoying each others' company.  The smaller sizes of the Seabourn ships facilitate this, as does the activity programming on board.  Add in the larger size of the verandah-class cabins, the amenities of the all-inclusive experience, the very good drinks and almost very good food, Seabourn has delivered a better experience than any other line we have tried.  Still trying some new ones, though.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, jjeffjb said:

For those of you who are fans of Seabourn, why do you choose Seabourn over the other lux lines?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

You also asked the same question on the regent board…are you trying to see what’s best for you?

33 minutes ago, nancygp said:

You also asked the same question on the regent board…are you trying to see what’s best for you?

I noticed that too.    All the small 'luxury' lines are very good, but people tend to have favourites because they appeal to their particular way of thinking.  I find Silversea to be a bit too formal in general, including dress rules;  and the Officers didn't mingle much or speak good English, which meant hosted dinners were a bit sticky.    Regent I didn't think the staff on my particular cruise were up to the Seabourn standard, by quite some way (rather bossy eastern European seniors in charge of juniors) but liked the casual dressing, and Seabourn in between with definitely the most convivial atmosphere on board, thanks to generally bright and friendly staff, and ditto passengers.  It depends therefore which suits your lifestyle best.  For me, the casual friendly atmosphere is almost more important than good food and drinks etc.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, jjeffjb said:

For those of you who are fans of Seabourn, why do you choose Seabourn over the other lux lines?  Thanks in advance for your replies.

Give me Regent anytime over Seabourn ....recent 65 day Grand Pacific on Seabourn was simply not what we expected and it would take a lot to get me back on Seabiurn 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, caviargal said:

Have you found this to be the case across multiple Seabourn ships?  We just booked Ovation, and that will be our first with this line.

We have been on the Sojourn and the Quest, both for very long cruises.  The food was quite good, although with some flaws.  We were happy enough to have booked a World Cruise for 2024.  That says something.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nancygp said:

Both Regent and Seabourn seem to offer very similar experiences.  I've cruised on Regent, but it was several years back.  I'm curious as to what entices folks to both lines.

For me, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea offer a similar experience in their regular cruises.  Service levels are pretty much identical though I can do without the butlers on Silversea.  Regent is the more casual, Silversea slightly dressier than Seabourn, though that is changing.  Seabourn has the least interesting food options, to my taste anyway, and I do think Seabourn's ships are beginning to look a little staid compared to the latest offerings from Regent and Silversea.  However, both Regent and Silversea have largely abandoned forward-facing observation decks which is a big no-no for me.  I like to see where I am going without hanging off the side rail. As far as expedition cruises are concerned, which I prefer, Regent is a non-starter and Seabourn (so far) much less interesting than Silversea which has a fabulous programme spread across four ships.  I'm on Silver Cloud for my next trip and then I'm going AWOL with back-to-back cruises on Aranui5.  It's the itinerary, stoopid. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 3

Interesting that several comments mention conviveality and friendly atmosphere.  On Silversea, we have always met people on the first night that became good cruise friends.  On our first Seabourn cruise this past April, we were struck by how the Seabourn regulars were unwelcoming and uninterested in first time Seabourn passengers.  That was our number one takeaway.  Having said that we are booked on another Seabourn cruise in November, with a Silversea cruise in May.  Be interesting to see the differences today and be able to live time compare.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Just saw Aranui5 docked in Papeete.  A most interesting ship indeed.  If the OP doesn't mind a quick hijack, where are you headed, and will you need to help with the cargo loading and unloading? 😃

I'm doing the Marquesas and the Australs.  French Polynesia is my all-time favourite place in the world and while I am upset by some tourist development and by the mean-spirited hotels I CANNOT resist a last hurrah before we get too old to manage the horrendous flights and too poor to manage the expense. I'll let the Aranui crew do the heavy lifting.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I'm doing the Marquesas and the Australs.  French Polynesia is my all-time favourite place in the world and while I am upset by some tourist development and by the mean-spirited hotels I CANNOT resist a last hurrah before we get too old to manage the horrendous flights and too poor to manage the expense. I'll let the Aranui crew do the heavy lifting.  

Be sure to give us a link to wherever you post about your Aranui cruise.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Hi Fletcher.  Is that a back to back/ did you book through an agent?  Looks interesting. 

11 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Hi Fletcher.  Is that a back to back/ did you book through an agent?  Looks interesting. 

I did try booking direct but they immediately started to nickel-and-franc me about house wine being one bottle for four passengers, they would charge €15 each to transfer to the dock etc.  Seabourn/Silversea people enter a different world with Aranui and you keep saying, it's the itinerary.  Small cabins, shower curtain, no stabilisers, no open bar, communal dining, no food choices, no wifi, no caviar . . . well, the caviar thing has never bothered me.  But they still charge (almost) as much as Seabourn.  For UK citizens there might be an insurance issue and then I thought it makes sense to find an agent who fixes everything, including flights, and has a relationship with a Papeete land agent. So we've gone with a UK company called Turquoise who have handled everything well so far.  I've also been in touch with a few UK people who have reviewed the Aranui experience on TripAdvisor and that has quelled my misgivings.  I have been on the brink of an Aranui trip for many years and backed out.  Now I'm booked and paid deposit.  It's Voyages 5 & 6 March 2024 with a 3-night recovery break in between. I've gone for 2024 as I am planning a Seabourn trip in September 2023 when this Marquesas/Australs doubling-up is also possible.  But in 2024 they are revisiting Bora Bora again after dropping it for a few years.  I'd love to see that amazing place for one last time and not stay in any of the hotels. 

It's true of course that luxury lines such as Seabourn and Silversea cruise this area.  And of course there is Ponant's famous Paul Gauguin ship.  But none of these are thorough - they visit one or two islands in both groups and I frankly want to see them all.  And the Aranui is the only game in town.  The reverse is true for Pitcairn.  Aranui does the Pitcairn run 2 0r 3 times a year but they don't go to Henderson or Ducie.  So you need a proper expedition ship for that.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I did try booking direct but they immediately started to nickel-and-franc me about house wine being one bottle for four passengers, they would charge €15 each to transfer to the dock etc.  Seabourn/Silversea people enter a different world with Aranui and you keep saying, it's the itinerary.  Small cabins, shower curtain, no stabilisers, no open bar, communal dining, no food choices, no wifi, no caviar . . . well, the caviar thing has never bothered me.  But they still charge (almost) as much as Seabourn.  For UK citizens there might be an insurance issue and then I thought it makes sense to find an agent who fixes everything, including flights, and has a relationship with a Papeete land agent. So we've gone with a UK company called Turquoise who have handled everything well so far.  I've also been in touch with a few UK people who have reviewed the Aranui experience on TripAdvisor and that has quelled my misgivings.  I have been on the brink of an Aranui trip for many years and backed out.  Now I'm booked and paid deposit.  It's Voyages 5 & 6 March 2024 with a 3-night recovery break in between. I've gone for 2024 as I am planning a Seabourn trip in September 2023 when this Marquesas/Australs doubling-up is also possible.  But in 2024 they are revisiting Bora Bora again after dropping it for a few years.  I'd love to see that amazing place for one last time and not stay in any of the hotels. 

It's true of course that luxury lines such as Seabourn and Silversea cruise this area.  And of course there is Ponant's famous Paul Gauguin ship.  But none of these are thorough - they visit one or two islands in both groups and I frankly want to see them all.  And the Aranui is the only game in town.  The reverse is true for Pitcairn.  Aranui does the Pitcairn run 2 0r 3 times a year but they don't go to Henderson or Ducie.  So you need a proper expedition ship for that.

No Fletcher,it's the ship.😀

Fletcher - look forward to your report on Aranui. Have looked at it previously and ended up deferring back to old faithful Paul Gauguin. We have been lucky enough to do the Marquesas many times but not the Australs. Hopefully the weather will be good for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 10:34 AM, Fletcher said:

However, both Regent and Silversea have largely abandoned forward-facing observation decks which is a big no-no for me.  I like to see where I am going without hanging off the side rail. 

Hello Fletcher - sorry a little late to the game here, but just off the Silver Dawn and she has a very nice & quiet forward facing observation library just above the bridge.  And above that is an outside deck.  The library was a great spot for forward thinking.....just fyi

On 12/30/2022 at 9:48 PM, jjeffjb said:

I am currently on Encore in a Signature Suite, on our first Seabourn cruise. We were expecting to be impressed and I have to say they have failed that test. Don’t get me wrong it’s very good but considering we’re in an expensive suite we’ve not felt valued. 

Previously we’ve sailed in the Haven suites with NCL and I have to say they appreciate you and look after you far far better than Seabourn have. When we booked we were told we’d be offered a bridge tour & get a personal visit from the hotel director, we’re now on day 25 of 28!

No priority booking for the grill, no free laundry, no concierge, no butler etc etc. We noticed many cabins were given mid way cruise feedback forms, we did not receive these, perhaps they’re only interested in past passengers?

Last night was a Valentine’s dinner in the main restaurant, what a disaster! Forty five minutes wait to take the order and then massive waits for the food and between courses, I even had to fetch water myself after three attempts! There seems to be many new staff on board. 

Lastly, speaking to fellow passengers, those who have sailed with Seabourn before have all said the product has diminished.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

49 minutes ago, waldorf said:

I am currently on Encore in a Signature Suite, on our first Seabourn cruise. We were expecting to be impressed and I have to say they have failed that test. Don’t get me wrong it’s very good but considering we’re in an expensive suite we’ve not felt valued. 

Previously we’ve sailed in the Haven suites with NCL and I have to say they appreciate you and look after you far far better than Seabourn have. When we booked we were told we’d be offered a bridge tour & get a personal visit from the hotel director, we’re now on day 25 of 28!

No priority booking for the grill, no free laundry, no concierge, no butler etc etc. We noticed many cabins were given mid way cruise feedback forms, we did not receive these, perhaps they’re only interested in past passengers?

Last night was a Valentine’s dinner in the main restaurant, what a disaster! Forty five minutes wait to take the order and then massive waits for the food and between courses, I even had to fetch water myself after three attempts! There seems to be many new staff on board. 

Lastly, speaking to fellow passengers, those who have sailed with Seabourn before have all said the product has diminished.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Spending money on a larger suite on Seabourn or even Silversea for that matter does not get you any special treatment as it does on a mass market ship that sails with thousands more passengers.

You will receive the same service as those poor people that have had to suffer living in a standard veranda suite.

Have you been to see the Hotel Director and raised your concerns?

It does seem strange to sail for twenty five days and then come on a cruise forum to complain.

I have heard from others who are on the same cruise as you and they seem to have had a very different experience to you.

Hoping  your last two or three days are monumental.

Happy sailing 

Edited by Mr Luxury
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Luxury said:

Spending money on a larger suite on Seabourn or even Silversea for that matter does not get you any special treatment as it does on a mass market ship that sails with thousands more passengers.

We now realise that, although it’s not what we had expected.

You will receive the same service as those poor people that have had to suffer living in a standard veranda suite.

Have you been to see the Hotel Director and raised your concerns?

No, we were waiting for the promised visit!

It does seem strange to sail for twenty five days and then come on a cruise forum to complain.

Not so strange, my first visit on here & thought I’d respond to a post.

I have heard from others who are on the same cruise as you and they seem to have had a very different experience to you.

Well I’m on the ship & I’ve spoken to many more than you have, perhaps you can put them in touch and we can compare notes. 

Hoping  your last two or three days are monumental.

Happy sailing 

Thank you for your sincerity.

• Like 1