So what's the OceanNow feature like?

Suskies

We are on the 3/22 CB Panama Canal cruise. What is your experience using the OceanNow feature of the app, especially to order food? What is the menu like--limited or pretty extensive? What can we order beyond food & beverages? Thank you!

My favorite feature!! 

I'm not onboard (hopefully someone who is will add a screenshot). I order food, beverages, merchandise, amenities (hangers, pick up trays, masks, etc). Food menu is extensive enough (appetizers, sandwiches, snacks, pizza, desserts think some items from specialty restaurants but haven't ordered those). The beverages I order are the same as IC but also have cocktails, wine, and beer. Love the loaded fries & Key Lime. Others say its not 'real' key lime pie but that dessert is heavenly! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tried to use this feature to order drinks on my first Medallion cruise and the drinks were never delivered (although Ocean Now said they were delivered).  I’ve never even opened Ocean Now since.  For me, it is easier to walk up to the nearest bar and interact with the bartender.  Or to walk to the International Cafe or the buffet/grill.

But I also never use room service.  To each his/her own!!

• Like 2

It *generally* works very well as far as food delivery to wherever you are located on the ship.  Like @Mike45LC we've had a couple of instances where the order screen showed as being "delivered" when it was never received...we would just order again and/or go to the bar.  It depends on what you may have ordered as far as food; some items available to order are basically "room service" type items that are not available at the bars.  In which case...just give it another shot.  We try to take the stance of "we're in no hurry...we're on vacation!"  You'd be surprised how that attitude can help!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It *generally* works very well as far as food delivery to wherever you are located on the ship.  Like @Mike45LC we've had a couple of instances where the order screen showed as being "delivered" when it was never received...we would just order again and/or go to the bar.  It depends on what you may have ordered as far as food; some items available to order are basically "room service" type items that are not available at the bars.  In which case...just give it another shot.  We try to take the stance of "we're in no hurry...we're on vacation!"  You'd be surprised how that attitude can help!

I agree, sort of.  My one experience was in Day 1 of our cruise and we stopped briefly on a deck with loungers during our first exploration.  Waited 30 minutes after we ordered drinks, while I was impatiently wanting to continue my ship tour.  

I am often too “busy” with things to do to be willing to wait.  So going to the bar is my preference.

3 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I agree, sort of.  My one experience was in Day 1 of our cruise and we stopped briefly on a deck with loungers during our first exploration.  Waited 30 minutes after we ordered drinks, while I was impatiently wanting to continue my ship tour.  

I am often too “busy” with things to do to be willing to wait.  So going to the bar is my preference.

I would probably have done the same thing given that situation!

For me, Ocean Now is a game changer; I absolutely love it.  I don't like to wait in line, and with Ocean Now I no longer need to. I think it's the best thing any cruise line has implemented ever!

I have had every one of the problems with it that other posters have mentioned, and even still, it's not enough to make me dislike it. If my order says "delivered" when it wasn't, I just order again. Never even remotely tempted to go directly to a bar to get a drink or go to the International Cafe to pick up a coffee. I really appreciate service, and I'd rather wait for my drink sitting down than standing in a line. Really, really hate lines ;)

And you can get food delivered! No making my way up to the pool deck to get tome french fries only to discover a really long line to get them. No other cruise line does this that I am aware of, and for me, it really sets Princess apart. I hope they never get rid of it.

Edited by macandlucy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2023 at 8:00 AM, Ombud said:

Tip: if you click on the light bulb icon on the OceanNow screen the screen turns green and the server can find you

I never noticed the light bulb. 

How will a green screen help the server find me? Are they walking around looking for green screens?

Confused. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:
On 1/4/2023 at 4:00 AM, Ombud said:

Tip: if you click on the light bulb icon on the OceanNow screen the screen turns green and the server can find you

I never noticed the light bulb. 

How will a green screen help the server find me? Are they walking around looking for green screens?

Confused.

The icon is on the upper right corner of the screen when the server has arrived in your area. Then if you hold your phone up, they can see it.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The icon is on the upper right corner of the screen when the server has arrived in your area. Then if you hold your phone up, they can see it.  

It means that you have to keep looking for them. If they would only have an audible indication when the item is on its way, it would help. 

19 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I don't look for them, they look for me

I just tried it. 

I find it's just a easy to wave at them when there on the way.

I still wish they had a bell go off where they left the kitchen. 

On 12/31/2022 at 2:02 PM, Mike45LC said:

I'd have probably done the same but I think you'd find better success trying again.  Sample size of 1 isn't very indicative of how well it actually works overall, albeit like anything else - not perfect. 

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@MissP22Yeah, and when the MC heads are adding that notification could they PLEASE add one when you get a chat from another cruiser?? (Not expecting either to happen)

I gave up with the lack of not being notified  and switched to WhatApp for texting. 

• Like 1