WiFi calling on provided internet

twonpcb

Does anyone have experience while sailing with Celebrity at using the provided WiFi to make WiFi phone calls?  I’m not sure how well this works.  I have a husband who calls his aging father every morning.  I want to make sure the connection is fast enough that he can still make that call.

On premium wi-if, calling, generally works well. However, if the overall Wi-Fi signal is poor, it will not. Usually that means there will be a period of a few hours where calls will not work.

I do not believe you could call at all on the basic Wi-Fi.

Harris

Denver, CO

I agree that you will probably need to upgrade to the premium for Wi-Fi calling to work. I have found it to be a very good and reliable way to keep in touch with people and seldom have any difficulties with it.  

That being said I would be hesitant to tell anyone that I will call every day at a specific time because that might be a moment where the Internet is not working. So rather than saying “I’ll call you every day at 10” I would recommend that he say “I will call you every day at some point during the day “

I don't know about the standard internet, but I can tell you that wifi calling is not 100% reliable even with the premium wifi. I've had calls calls go dark for short periods or cut off altogether. 

If you need something you can count on all the time, including when not in port, you might want to see if your cellular provider has a "cruise package" or something similar that allows use of the ship cellular and ports for a flat fee. It may be less expensive than upgrading to premium internet.  AT&T has such a plan. 

I used it daily on my last Solstice Mexican Riveria B2B.    One recommendation is that if you are on a call find a nice place to sit down.    I usually am out walking laps and found that I would get disconnected a number of times when the phone failed to hand off to the next router.