Florence and Pisa excursion

Tikka234

Happy New Year, were on Med cruise in May looking at excursions, anyone done the Florence and Pisa excursion either guided or non guided it lasts 10/10.5 hrs.

We port in La Spezia . On both we get free time in Florence, never been to Italy before is there much to do in Florence? 

Any advice welcome 

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Happy New Year, were on Med cruise in May looking at excursions, anyone done the Florence and Pisa excursion either guided or non guided it lasts 10/10.5 hrs.

We port in La Spezia . On both we get free time in Florence, never been to Italy before is there much to do in Florence? 

Any advice welcome 

Thanks

Florence is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.  Must sees are the Ponte Vecchio, Uffizi Gallery, Cathedral of Santa Maria and David (the last of these will have a massive queue so if you go on the do it yourself tour book a skip the line entry with a time to suit you before you travel - for my part visiting David is my main reason for going to Florence so this is essential!).  Florence offers good shopping and wonderful specialities in food, however it is crowded and there are lots of students.  It is truly a stunning place.

Pisa is a small university town.  The Field of Miracles where the tower is actually is a small area with the Leaning Tower, the Duomo, the Baptistry, and the Monumental Cemetery in it. Apart from this there are some shops facing towards it.  Climbing the Tower is possible but it is usually not included in ship excursions and the queues are long.  Most excursions there are short and include around an hour or so to photograph the Field and the buildings. Hope that helps.

Be aware coaches are not allowed into the enclosed walls and park outside. You are then transferred on a small land train to inside the walls.

If it is a choice of a full day in Florence or a stop in both personally I would choose Florence every time but understand if you've never visited Italy that you may be drawn by the idea of the leaning Tower.

A couple of pictures of the buildings in the Field taken in June this year. We took an afternoon trip which took in a visit there followed by a cruise along the river.

20220621_151144.jpg

20220621_151220.jpg

20220621_151254.jpg

I would agree with MB regarding Florence however your likes may be different, if you visit both in the same day you will spend a considerable time on the coach, fine if you enjoy watching the world go by. We visited from Livorno which is quite close to Pisa and spent a lot of time on the coach, OK we have seen Pisa, when we next do a med cruise we will go to Florence for the day. Not that it really matters but the tower doesn't lean as much as it did due to the underpinning.

• Like 1

We’ve done this trip and loved it. Pisa for us was a real pinch me moment and we’ve been back a second time and it was still special. Florence is beautiful and a lot too see but I wouldn’t miss out on Pisa if you’ve never been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would agree with MB regarding Florence however your likes may be different, if you visit both in the same day you will spend a considerable time on the coach, fine if you enjoy watching the world go by. We visited from Livorno which is quite close to Pisa and spent a lot of time on the coach, OK we have seen Pisa, when we next do a med cruise we will go to Florence for the day. Not that it really matters but the tower doesn't lean as much as it did due to the underpinning.

Very good point on the time on the bus. Florence, even going direct, is 2 hours from La Spezia cruise port - it is over 160km away. Pisa is, if I recall correctly about 85km so half the distance and time.

30 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

Great post by Megabear2 - but I would add, in case you are wondering, looking

at the photos, it is only the tower that is actually leaning!

I thought it was the leaning Duomo, or perhaps MB sampled the Chianti on the bus.🥳😂

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 4

We have done this one, but to be honest it was a disaster .... it wasn't the excursions fault, but the weather was apocalyptic and we were totally soaked. The thunder and lightening at Pisa was frightening!!!!! To be honest, I am not a fan of Florence -- have been a few times and for some reason i just don't 'get it'.  

• Like 3

I haven’t done this but I was booked on a cruise that was cancelled that was to call at La Spezia. 
I looked at the Pisa and Florence tour and thought it was a long way on the coach and thought it would be an extremely hot and tiring tour in a city.

So - just a different take we were going to do the trip to Pisa with a visit to a winery for wine tasting after 😊

If there's a tour taking in Pisa with the river cruise to the park where you can see the deer it's very nice, but I did that with Celebrity. You can see the racehorses train there as well.

If you feel that the journey to Florence and Pisa might be too long have you considered maybe the Cinque Terre which is extraordinarily beautiful and easy to do from La Spezia?

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

If there's a tour taking in Pisa with the river cruise to the park where you can see the deer it's very nice, but I did that with Celebrity. You can see the racehorses train there as well.

If you feel that the journey to Florence and Pisa might be too long have you considered maybe the Cinque Terre which is extraordinarily beautiful and easy to do from La Spezia?

We did a DIY trip to Porto Verne from La Spezia. A walk around to the ferry terminal.  We never tire of Florence., but a couple of trips to Piza was enough.

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Have done the trip from Livorno and at Pisa we walked  to The Field of Miracles. Also when arriving in Florence the coach will drop you a good way out which again is a fair walk into the square. 

Are you on Arvia  in May? 

Yes 14th

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

We have done this one, but to be honest it was a disaster .... it wasn't the excursions fault, but the weather was apocalyptic and we were totally soaked. The thunder and lightening at Pisa was frightening!!!!! To be honest, I am not a fan of Florence -- have been a few times and for some reason i just don't 'get it'.  

Absolutely likewise.  Love culture/arts/photography etc but not Florence.  Think Venice/rome etc are stunning

• Like 1

Portovenere is indeed lovely, we were on a ship which anchored and tendered in, and the stop for Florence was Livorno, from which you can go to Lucca; not too far and a lovely city.  From La Spezia it is a lot nearer than Florence also, though less well known so there might not be an excursion there.

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Portovenere is indeed lovely, we were on a ship which anchored and tendered in, and the stop for Florence was Livorno, from which you can go to Lucca; not too far and a lovely city.  From La Spezia it is a lot nearer than Florence also, though less well known so there might not be an excursion there.

Lucca was available on Princess from La Spezia in July and I believe they use the same companies within Europe as P&O.  Ot was extremely popular and sold out on our cruise, understandably because its beautiful. You've probably gathered I'm a huge fan of everything Italian ...

Just a word to the OP. Not sure if you have any mobility or fitness measures to consider but Lucca being medieval is a walk uphill.  Florence also could entail a fair amount of walking.  Portovenere does involve some uphill walking with steps to the church. Pisa is mainly flat unless you decide to climb the bell tower!

The coastline around the area you are visiting is rocky with steep cliffs which is why it's so dramatic and world renowned for its natural beauty.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Just a word to the OP. Not sure if you have any mobility or fitness measures to consider but Lucca being medieval is a walk uphill.  Florence also could entail a fair amount of walking.  Portovenere does involve some uphill walking with steps to the church. Pisa is mainly flat unless you decide to climb the bell tower!

Lucca is a medieval village on flat land.  The only climbing is if you decide to walk the city walls.