Looking for someone currently on Edge (1/3/23) that can confirm/deny scaled back dinner buffet??

BermudaBound2014

Our Apex cruise on the 14th has a 10:00pm departure from San Juan.  We typically don't eat dinner in the OVC.  However, we planned to do so in San Juan as we would be coming back late from a tour.  It will be interesting to see if the offerings are as skimpy on a late port departure day, knowing how many people will not be dining in the MDR.    

4 minutes ago, twincheryl said:

Not naive enough to think a few of us can change this scale back of Oceanview, but maybe at least a little will be different instead of a lot!

But if more and more people write in then the 'few of us' becomes larger and larger.  That is how you get their attention, not by quietly walking away. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Arubamoose said:

I didn't catch the woman's name because I was in shock.  She thanked me for my loyalty as an Elite member and hoped that the changes would not be as drastic as reported.

A nice pat on the back ...

A please stay with Celebrity callback.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 1/6/2023 at 10:27 AM, Homosassa said:

This whole thread and at least one other, is based on unconfirmed rumors or very limited observation.

Would a phone call from the Executive Office be enough confirmation?

I sent an email last night to Ms. Lutoff-Perlo expressing my displeasure at some of the changes being sprung with no notice and that as a brand new Celebrity customer this was leaving a bad first impression. Surprisingly, I got a phone call today from her office (one of her assistants, but she gave me her name, title, and direct phone number, followed up by an email from the Executive Office). 

The gist of the phone call was that yes, the items being offered in the OVC are being cut back fleetwide for a variety of reasons including cost, waste, and staffing. The sample menu that was shared in an earlier post is indeed representative of those changes according to the assistant.

I was asked to please call her back after our 1/22 Reflection cruise to follow up with my impression of the selections offered. She indicated they are eager to feedback from first-time Celebrity cruisers who are moving up from other lines, which I found quite interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 1/3/2023 at 8:56 PM, nikel said:

Not only that, the odd time you come back from a shore excursion and are either too tired or don't have the time to change to make it to the MDR.  You just want something fast from the buffet.

Exactly.

Plus, we are not big eaters.   We can't do MDR every night.   Sometimes, we just want a quick bite for dinner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Would a phone call from the Executive Office be enough confirmation?

I sent an email last night to Ms. Lutoff-Perlo expressing my displeasure at some of the changes being sprung with no notice and that as a brand new Celebrity customer this was leaving a bad first impression. Surprisingly, I got a phone call today from her office (one of her assistants, but she gave me her name, title, and direct phone number, followed up by an email from the Executive Office). 

The gist of the phone call was that yes, the items being offered in the OVC are being cut back fleetwide for a variety of reasons including cost, waste, and staffing. The sample menu that was shared in an earlier post is indeed representative of those changes according to the assistant.

I was asked to please call her back after our 1/22 Reflection cruise to follow up with my impression of the selections offered. She indicated they are eager to feedback from first-time Celebrity cruisers who are moving up from other lines, which I found quite interesting.

Exactly the same as my email and call yesterday!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, leia01 said:

We have been pleased with the food on Silhouette in both Luminae and OV for breakfast and lunch. Tonight we just checked out the OV to see what was available and again the options were limited. Salad, Dai, stir fry, curry, beef stew, rice, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, and carrots, pizza, pasta, cheeses and an assortment of breads and fruit were available. A soup option was also available.  No carving stations or create your own stir fry stations were open. There was also no fish or grilled items. Everything looked and smelled delicious but it was just not what we wanted. Celebrity cruises have been a favorite of ours. 

1 hour ago, Chardonnay Char said:

What is "Dai" that is edible?  I looked it up and the definition I saw said: "Wet nurse

Lol!  It’s a Chinese dish with spices and vegetables/beef I haven’t tried it so I can’t give an opinion on its taste. 

Just want to thank everyone that wrote emails to the corporate office and let them know we are not happy with the changes in the ocean view cafe.  The sad part is that we know the various cruise lines must make changes due to cost! But to completely wipe out the ocean view with only one station is just a slap in the face.

Next will be our coffee on 5!

• Like 3

Just a thought but maybe this is an attempt to get people back into the MDR because so many people are using the excuse that I never go to the MDR (and require only once a day cabin service) so I am going to remove the daily service charge…

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Just a thought but maybe this is an attempt to get people back into the MDR because so many people are using the excuse that I never go to the MDR (and require only once a day cabin service) so I am going to remove the daily service charge…

But everyone says only like 14 people go to OVC for dinner? 

I honestly think the most egregious tip removers are the ones that draw attention to themselves all cruise and are loud and demand the most services. Then they go and take it off at 11pm last night. 

I have friends that ONLY do specialty dining; they take off the tips day 1. Says they are not double tipping the whole ship. They make a point. But where do they eat for breakfast and lunch?? 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote. Feel free to copy/paste/butcher. 

I wrote to two other emails that bounced back, but both of these addrsses appear to have went thru.

lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com  

ExecutiveOffice@celebrity.com 

Good afternoon Ms. ________,

While I understand that scaling back on services offered is inevitable in the current financial climate, the menu posted on Cruise Critic of the new evening buffet options is extremely disappointing. The drastic reduction in offerings means that choosing the buffet for dinner is sadly no longer an option for us. 

There must be a better way to serve passengers who do not seek the formality of the Main dining room every evening. The Ocean view café' appeals to those with children, those who wish to dress casually, and those who seek a much quicker meal so they may fully enjoy other activities onboard.  

One suggestion I have is to add back one made-to-order station each night. It could rotate with the theme. The pasta station is excellent, as is the stir-fry and fresh grill. Offering one made-to-order selection each night, along with a more complete garden salad bar, will allow guests who choose the buffet a significantly higher quality dining experience.

I am sailing on the Constellation next week and am asking those in charge of these difficult cost savings decisions to consider my suggestions. It's one thing to reduce offerings, it's entirely another to make the reductions so drastic that opting for the buffet at dinner is no longer a viable.  

I love Celebrity. In fact, I was married onboard the inaugural sailing of the Zenith in April of 1992!! I understand that times are difficult for the industry, but hope that Celebrity can find a way to make the Ocean View Café' dinner reductions more palatable.

Thank you for any consideration you may grant this request.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, leia01 said:

Lol!  It’s a Chinese dish with spices and vegetables/beef I haven’t tried it so I can’t give an opinion on its taste. 

Correction. The hilarity continues. The Dal was again on the OV buffet today. I had my glasses on so I could see clearly. 🙃

Dal is an Indian dish made from lentils not a Chinese dish as I understood it to be. I tried it. Mildly spicy, nice over white rice. 
Thanks for the chuckles and sorry for

the misrepresentation. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just in case you aren't following the other thread here is an update.

Post #193 is the email I wrote last night (feel free to copy/paste/delete). I received a call back this morning from Adela Mormeneo (the exectutive office email above).

She was very pleasant. To my surprise she forwarded my suggestions directly to the Ship (I'm sailing on Constellation next week). She mentioned the name of the person on the ship but I didn't write it down. She asked me to contact her upon return for additional feedback. At least they are listening. I will report what occurs onboard.

I'm retired, but when I was working I often asked my team to come to me with possible solutions for every problems/issues they brought. It wasn't always possible, but more often than not, my employees provided suggestions that were both practical and easy to implement. A win/win.

I hope that Celebrity finds my suggestion of adding back in one fresh, made-to-order station each evening (along with a true garden salad bar) both practical and easy to implement. I'll see in a few days.

• Thanks 1

Elite plus on X. We have never eaten in the dining room…not once. We either eat at the buffet or order off the regular main dining room menu And have a delivered to our room. 

anybody know if you can still order off the MDR menu and have it delivered to your room?

14 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Sorry but didn't read all 7 pages...

Is this impact only to the "dinner" buffet?  They aren't cutting back the lunch offerings are they?

Dan

Yes this is the dinner.  But it appears that they are making cuts to MDR menus as well. 

19 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Sorry but didn't read all 7 pages...

Is this impact only to the "dinner" buffet?  They aren't cutting back the lunch offerings are they?

Dan

There was a recent report that the grill station was alsoclosed for lunch. Did you see the dinner menu posted? I would not really call that a buffet, at all. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

....anybody know if you can still order off the MDR menu and have it delivered to your room?

I can't get confirmation either, but I'll let you know next week. I plan to do a live thread with the offerings.

You are aware that Celebrity added a room service charge of $9.95 per delivery (plus gratuity) at the same time they reduced the Ocean View Cafe offerings???