Our 1st cruise on Silversea Singapore to Hong Kong Jan 5, 2023

ronrick1943

20 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Tipping is always a tough subject but for us in Australia we have been upset by the Americisation of our and our Asian neighbours culture. 
Tipping has never been part of our culture as we pay workers a decent wage. We travel extensively in Asia and have done so for the last 50 years. For the first 20 - 25 years there was virtually no tipping on our travels. Nowadays nearly universal.

In the USA we do follow your customs and have always tipped. Remember our first trip to San Francisco well. Service exceptional so in 1981 our tips there were usually 25%.

On top of that we have greatly differing opinions on food. The pizzas in our opinion are not good. We had difficulty finding good Asian food. The problem was that the restaurants would make it to American tastes.

So there are always going to be differences of opinion.

That’s what I said at the beginning of this post, opinion is all about one thinks—I don’t expect people to agree—I’m just stating my opinion period.  I believe tipping is OK, and when someone in Asia (since people mentioned that)doing job that we know is low paying—why not give a little extra.

I don’t want this post really to be about tipping, sorry I added that to my post.

Let’s talk dress code!  My opinion Regent and Seabourn have it rigth-just an opinion.

Let’s talk reality on Silversea Spirit….It’s really acceptable to me, but (yes a but).  The other night was Formal, we ate at La Dame.  We were the only men wearing jackets though out dinner.  All the other took them off the minute  they walked in to La Dame.  We was white jeans (5 pocket) during the evening.  Now on Informal and Formal nights you don’t need a jacket as long as you don’t go to the 4th floor.  But a few people din’t wear jackets and some women wearing pants but not dressy at all.

That’s just the way it is in reality, not what people say…….I’ll close with you should be nicely dressed going to any dinner without a jacket if that’s your wish——your table doesn’t affect my table.

Remember just an opinion of mind and a little reality of what’s going on around the ship.

• Like 2

We come from a non tipping culture, thankfully as yet untainted by our cousins across the pond. Our rule of thumb on tours and guides is: Good tour and knowledgeable guide, we tip. Poor tour but good guide, we still tip, with a poor guide we don’t tip. @ronrick1943you have to remember its personal and cultural.

As a long standing SS cruiser the quality of the beef has been a bugbear of mine since before the Pandemic. It used to be a bit hit and miss, but generally good. Since 2021 the quality has been average to poor with one or two examples of bloody awful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

We come from a non tipping culture, thankfully as yet untainted by our cousins across the pond. Our rule of thumb on tours and guides is: Good tour and knowledgeable guide, we tip. Poor tour but good guide, we still tip, with a poor guide we don’t tip. @ronrick1943you have to remember its personal and cultural.

As a long standing SS cruiser the quality of the beef has been a bugbear of mine since before the Pandemic. It used to be a bit hit and miss, but generally good. Since 2021 the quality has been average to poor with one or two examples of bloody awful.

I agree with you—but when your someplace other than your county & culture-you need to think about it.  After all you may not haggle on the price in your county, but you do in other cultures………..

One more thing about tours.  We took another tour last night (Dinner & Show).  It was an extra payment for this tour from Silversea.  Have to say outstanding from check in to the end.  We started at the Hotel Majestic for the show (very good, something you wouldn’t at home) and dinner (really nicely done, eat food).  Silversea used small vans (8 to a van, van could have handled 12).  Silversea had a young lady as the Host (I didn’t get her name), she was great, made sure everything happened as planned, made sure you were having a good time.  Best part see wasn’t in your face, I believe she was sincere and a prefect person for this job.  I’m thinking to tour with Silversea you need to use the extra cost tour (my opinion only).

• Like 1

Just an opinion, the Silversea Wi-Fi is really is not working as it should be………….I don’t work, so I don’t understand how those that work during a cruise get anything done.  I’m using it to update friends during the cruise and spending just to much time to download anything.

This is very interesting reading as I am on The Dawn now and booked on Spirit for April. Spirit was my 1st SS cruise in 2017 and this is now my 11th.

I know food is a hot topic and not sure why it varies so much from ship to ship.

I have had pizza twice on my cruise and found it excellent.....wonderful crust. May not be what others enjoy but I know food is also subjective.

I have had 2 steaks this cruise and found both cooked to my liking and both quite flavorful and tender.

Does Dawn get a better cut than Spirit?

I don't know. 

Anyway, sorry to read the op is not happy with the food part of their cruise.

Lois I should not worry too much.  Everyone is entitled to their view.  However, we went on Spirit three times in 2022 and we loved it.   It is currently our favourite ship though our next SS cruise is on the Dawn.   On the other hand we also went on Seabourn Encore last year and thought the food on there not nearly so good.  I had my worst steak ever and the service was not nearly as good.

Look forward to Spirit as we are looking forward to Dawn.  I just wish Dawn had Indochine!,

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I  sailed Spirit in 2021 out of Lisbon and had a fabulous cruise😀

Ironically, Idochine does nothing for me.

Different strokes😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the reply. I  sailed Spirit in 2021 out of Lisbon and had a fabulous cruise😀

Ironically, Idochine does nothing for me.

Different strokes😀

Lois, it’s gotten better, but the Spirit doesn’t have the same product as other ships in the fleet of Silversea.  Really things should be company wide so you don’t have the hit and miss.  I haven’t cruised on Silversea so I really can’t say what is different-just what is on this cruise.  But I have heard from regular Silversea cruisers that they have seen cutbacks.  I can say the service is outstanding, the people that work this ship makes a difference.  They really do need too work on food and presentation.

• Like 1

Meats.....the kicker is that on two Celebrity cruises food was no problem.  We bounce between SS and SB past twelve months.  I don't book these cruises expecting good food.  The culinary highlight of last Muse sailing was a grilled cheese sandwich at the patio.   Best food item on recent SB: navel oranges delivered daily to suite.

Many years ago on Whisper.  We ordered

Pork, chicken, and beef thru room service.

Neither of us could discern between the three regarding taste, texture, and smell.

Things that bug me, go unnoticed by most.  Much easier to laugh watching people enjoy their whatever makes them so happy.    

2 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Lois, it’s gotten better, but the Spirit doesn’t have the same product as other ships in the fleet of Silversea.  

Can you clarify what do you need? Is Spirit better or worse than other SS ships?

5 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Can you clarify what do you need? Is Spirit better or worse than other SS ships?

This is my first cruise on Silversea so I can’t say——However I personally (my opinion only) wouldn’t cruise again on Spirit again.  But others people would.  That said I’m booked and looking forward to the new Nova cruise we booked.  What would I need?  Better food, continuity in service thought out the ship, and making the buffet more appetizing in the way they display food.  But keep in mind that’s my opinion-others don’t care about those things, I do.  

• Like 1

I’m also wondering if it is a location issue in terms of supply.

Asia is not a grazing area, meat is often sent in from Australia and after our drought a few years back, prices for meat are eye watering.  Think around $60US per kilo for fillet….  Imported that becomes a ridiculous amount.

I have asked on previous cruises about particulate things and been told, we can’t stock that in that segment as there is no supply in the area.

Rocking back to our first SS cruise and the lobster was literally flown in from Maine to Copenhagen, but in those days, lobster would only be available on formal nights and there was no alternative dining other than La Terraza.  

I appreciate that SS is not the line it was in 2006, and yes, there are things that RCL have certainly downgraded.  However, my big thing is the staff service, which other than an issue of ageism on my last cruise, has always been amazing.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:41 AM, ronrick1943 said:

Service:  Actually service is pretty good, everyone does their best.  Our Butler is outstanding as well as his assistant.  The suite is kept spotless, if you ask them for something - it happens.  I believe the staff is the high point of this cruise.

Food: Which really should be a high point is hit and miss.  Some really nice meals and others not so great or even good.  Today at breakfast for example ordered an omelette (good), but they forgot the toast and hash browns.  Ron ordered waffles, and they were not even crisp, in fact they were cool to the touch.  Sure they correct it, but it shouldn’t happen on cruise ship like Silversea.

Did you actually order “omelette, toast and hash browns” or just expect the accompaniments to be included?  You may have ordered this breakfast on other occasions.  I ask as I would have to return the meal if the latter two items were included.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, ronrick1943 said:

The bus itself was nothing special, Regent had smaller buses and more deluxe (comfortable).  But that maybe because of Vietnam.

What surprised me was very few people tipped the driver or Tour Guide—really now.  If you can afford this cruise, you should be-able to tip these people.

I happened to have re-read information about one of my upcoming S/S cruises.  It states that gratuities for tour guides and bus drivers (not just the ship’s crew) are included in the all-inclusive fare.

6 hours ago, mancunian said:

I am puzzled if this is your first cruise on SS how you think the other ships in the line are better,

I never said they were better, I said each ship has a different policy on purchases.  That was backed up by a few Officers on the ship.  Some have better offerings than others.  Like I said in my opinion I won’t cruise The Spirit again from my experience.

41 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Did you actually order “omelette, toast and hash browns” or just expect the accompaniments to be included?  You may have ordered this breakfast on other occasions.  I ask as I would have to return the meal if the latter two items were included.

Yes I ordered what I wanted - just didn’t get what I ordered.  The other day I asked for a 1/2 sandwich, the bread was about an 1” thick and the meat was so thin you couldn’t taste it. But I did get what I ordered that day………

34 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I happened to have re-read information about one of my upcoming S/S cruises.  It states that gratuities for tour guides and bus drivers (not just the ship’s crew) are included in the all-inclusive fare.

Really…………didn’t see that.

4 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

I’m also wondering if it is a location issue in terms of supply.

Asia is not a grazing area, meat is often sent in from Australia and after our drought a few years back, prices for meat are eye watering.  Think around $60US per kilo for fillet….  Imported that becomes a ridiculous amount.

I have asked on previous cruises about particulate things and been told, we can’t stock that in that segment as there is no supply in the area.

Rocking back to our first SS cruise and the lobster was literally flown in from Maine to Copenhagen, but in those days, lobster would only be available on formal nights and there was no alternative dining other than La Terraza.  

I appreciate that SS is not the line it was in 2006, and yes, there are things that RCL have certainly downgraded.  However, my big thing is the staff service, which other than an issue of ageism on my last cruise, has always been amazing.

Couldn’t agree more about the service, even people that need training really try.

Thanks for reading, I’m going to try to close this now with a few general comments.

First I did enjoy the cruise, the service from most everyone that works the ship did an outstanding job.

I really do think management really needs to take a look if Silversea wants to be called a Luxury Line they need to know what’s happening on every ship they own.  When advertising a product you need to be consistent across the line.  If you promise a luxury experience, that is what it should be.  

The special request for service doesn’t exist,  we filled in a few items never to hear from the ship if they have the item or not.  A simple call or visit to explain the reason would be nice.

The food on the ship was generally good, no great or exceptional.  We don’t eat a lot of meat, but Silversea does not service Prime as they state in the menu.  The Seishin sushi is a joke, they really should not have that experience if they can’t execute the service.  La Terrazza was our favorite, but not got a little tried after awhile.  La Dame was my far the best with a $60.00 surcharge it should be, but it wasn’t exceptional as it should have been.  Sorry but the “Buffet’s” were OK, but nothing to exciting.  Better display of food at lunch would be nice.  Still by best place was the Art’s Cafe over all.

The shows, The singers were good and it was enjoyable.  Think Silversea could spend a little more to give them more to work with.

Tours, unless you pay extra for a tour I wouldn’t go.  That’s just my opinion, I prefer the extra pay or private personally.  Tours are way to long with a lot of unnecessary stops with short look around time.

Spa was good, make your appointments as soon as you can.  Price is high, but one would except that on a ship.

Last some of the perks you are suppose to get in some suites, you don’t get.  Not a real problem but you should be asked if you want that perk or not.

That’s it, like I said before I (personal  opinion) wouldn’t  cruise on Spirit again,  But am looking forward to the Nova in December.

• Like 6

One last thing, we just had lunch at the Grill.  Ordered a Salad with a chicken breast. WE even mentioned that the chicken breast is on the anywhere menu.  We got a salad with 3 small chicken strips (overcooked at that).  We told them we order a whole chicken breast, not strips,   They brought over a chicken to show us they cut the strips from breast.  Remember this was are lunch, one chicken breast and salad—-simple?  IZ know what I wrote above, but I thinking Silversea isn’t for us.  We’ll be talking to are TA about maybe canceling the Nova.  

Really, Silversea has a big problem in the food area, which may not be important to you-but it is to us.  Wish you all great cruising.

• Like 1