Our 1st cruise on Silversea Singapore to Hong Kong Jan 5, 2023

ronrick1943

Would you mind sharing what suite you are in? Is that setup in every suite? We have not sailed Silversea before but are booked to do so in November and trying to find out as much as we can about the experience.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

No. You tell your Butler what you want.  Everything is customized to your desire.

So you can get that many bottles provided in your suite?

Many lines limit you to 2 bottles of your choice which are replenished once drunk but it seems that’s not the case on Silversea?

I’ll pass on the alcohol free gin!
I’m guessing that doesn’t count against any quota 😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

Would you mind sharing what suite you are in? Is that setup in every suite? We have not sailed Silversea before but are booked to do so in November and trying to find out as much as we can about the experience.

Thank you

Don’t really know, but I understand you can ask for what you want from any suite.

4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Whew!  I’d say so.  No need to go to an actual bar with all that.  Are you able to take it with you upon disembarkation?

Hello, happy to see you are reading this—Just a guess but once they bring it to your room it’s yours.  We’re from the US which allows you to bring two bottles back duty free.  But really it would be just to heavy.  This is what they set up—-we don’t drink alcohol, but when having guest before dinner it’s needed.  We do the same at home.  If you look at the photo you’ll see a  Traqueray 0.0 Alcohol Free Gin that we purchased at the airport.  Also the ship has a poor quality of Alcohol free wine, they need to upgrade in this area.  Surprisingly a number of people on board don’t drink alcohol.  With these prices Silversea needs to look into this.

• Like 1

Last night we ate with a nice couple we met on are flight to get here.  We ate dinner at The Grill (Hot Rocks).  We had a great time, it’s a fun way to spend the evening.  The service was good and the main to be honest wasn’t the best of meats.  I know the meat wasn’t prime and maybe not even choice.  Silversea needs to up grade in this area (all restaurants on the ship).  Hey, we had great company at dinner and it was a nice evening.  Yes I’d eat again at The Grill in the evening.

One thing, make sure you don’t get your sides until you are about half way done cooking your steak or your sides are going to be cold-unless you like them cold………..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

So you can get that many bottles provided in your suite?

Many lines limit you to 2 bottles of your choice which are replenished once drunk but it seems that’s not the case on Silversea?

I’ll pass on the alcohol free gin!
I’m guessing that doesn’t count against any quota 😂😂😂

No it doesn’t, we brought the 0.0 ourself since we don’t drink and they don’t offer it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

Thank you

Sorry I didn’t answer your question about the suite—it’s the Owners Suite, since we don’t tour that much we like the extra room in the suite.

• Like 1

This morning we had breakfast in Atlantide, Great service and a great breakfast—egg’s benedict don’t perfect for me and two egg’s over easy also do perfect with crispy bacon.  We’re going to go off the ship this after and have lunch——-really if your in Thailand you have to have phad thai (it’s spelled two different ways) I’ll go with this one until we see the menu.

If we eat a big lunch (what are the chances of that in Thailand, about 100%. ) So dinner will be light and yes I hate that since it’s already paid for).

13 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

The service was good and the main to be honest wasn’t the best of meats.  I know the meat wasn’t prime and maybe not even choice.  Silversea needs to up grade in this area (all restaurants on the ship).

Great thread thanks.  How would you compare the quality of the steaks to Regent?  We've have good experiences at P7 but felt the quality of the steaks there and at CR was far from Steakhouse quality.  Honestly on our last Regent cruise we felt we were probably eating the same steaks as NCLH.  Rack of Lamb & Veal Chop Milanese (SM) was always great, Lamb Chops not so much.

8 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Great thread thanks.  How would you compare the quality of the steaks to Regent?  We've have good experiences at P7 but felt the quality of the steaks there and at CR was far from Steakhouse quality.  Honestly on our last Regent cruise we felt we were probably eating the same steaks as NCLH.  Rack of Lamb & Veal Chop Milanese (SM) was always great, Lamb Chops not so much.

It’s the same here on Silversea, the other meats are great, we had Veal Chop Milanese which was way better than Regent.  WE haven’t tried Lamb yet but will.  The steaks just aren’t good, hard to cut, tough, and really pretty tasteless on this trip (Silversea).  We’ve had them a few times and plan to try it again.  One would think The Grill here would be fabulous- but they are not.

PS: Service has gotten much, much better now.  Still can’t say enough on how well run The Art’s Cafe is—and the snack type food wonderful.

• Like 2

Good to hear about the other meats.  Hopefully the steaks will improve.   Sounds like your overall experience has.

We're seriously considering a SS Mumbai to Hong Kong (Singapore) cruise which probably includes many of the same ports you are visiting.  Any feedback on the excursions would be greatly appreciated.  My recollection of prior feedback (Fletcher) was many of the ports are a long distance from the sites and it can be hot.  The feedback may have been applicable to different ports.  I review the thread.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Good to hear about the other meats.  Hopefully the steaks will improve.   Sounds like your overall experience has.

We're seriously considering a SS Mumbai to Hong Kong (Singapore) cruise which probably includes many of the same ports you are visiting.  Any feedback on the excursions would be greatly appreciated.  My recollection of prior feedback (Fletcher) was many of the ports are a long distance from the sites and it can be hot.  The feedback may have been applicable to different ports.  I review the thread.

Thanks.

Honestly we don’t do many tours,  The first port we had a tour book (Koh Samul) was canceled do to rough seas.  The 2nd port was( Lael Chabang) we did this on are own, didn’t go to Bang Kong stayed near the ship at a beach town.  We’ve been to Bang Kong many times.  Next is Vietnam and we have booked a few tours / 1st time in Vietnam.  Sorry not very helpful.

10 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:We’ve been to Bang Kong many times.  Next is Vietnam and we have booked a few tours / 1st time in Vietnam.  Sorry not very helpful.

Is that anywhere near Hong Kok? lol

Hopefully Silversea has upped their game for Vietnam. The tours we had (and included before SS included excursions on all cruises) were poor. 

Of the three ports, only the caves in Halong Bay was worthwhile from our perspective. Hopefully the choices have improved.

Last time I went to Koh Samui there was no airport, though construction had, started unlike previous visits. Arrival was by ferry with a risk of pirate boardings on the overnight trip! I loved my backpacking days! lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Is that anywhere near Hong Kok? lol

Hopefully Silversea has upped their game for Vietnam. The tours we had (and included before SS included excursions on all cruises) were poor. 

Of the three ports, only the caves in Halong Bay was worthwhile from our perspective. Hopefully the choices have improved.

Last time I went to Koh Samui there was no airport, though construction had, started unlike previous visits. Arrival was by ferry with a risk of pirate boardings on the overnight trip! I loved my backpacking days! lol

I hope they are good too.  Like said we don’t take many tours but Vietnam will be the exception.

Rather than tell you about the day, I’m just going to give some general thoughts about different parts of the cruise.

Today—Wi-Fi,  The ship is half empty, 300 total and on a sea day forget about using it.  With what we pay to cruise I see no reason what’s so ever why it’s so bad.  Not just me but others have said the same………..

47 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Today—Wi-Fi,  The ship is half empty, 300 total and on a sea day forget about using it.  With what we pay to cruise I see no reason what’s so ever why it’s so bad.  Not just me but others have said the same………..

Which cruise line(s) would you say provide a superb Wi-Fi product to SS at a comparable value?

Sounds like your cruise is going well but not great. We are due to sail on an upcoming Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. Has Silversea announced how they are going to handle the pre-flight Covid testing in Hong Kong for passengers returning to the US after the cruise? Also, have there been any reports of Covid infections onboard?

Good report.  As you know, George and I sail on both Regent and Silversea, and a little on Oceania.  We find the beef on Silversea to be severely lacking in quality.  George has had a few pretty animated discussions with the chef on this as what they call "prime" clearly isn't.  Word to the wise--do NOT even try the hamburgers. 

5 hours ago, JBMK said:

Sounds like your cruise is going well but not great. We are due to sail on an upcoming Singapore to Hong Kong cruise. Has Silversea announced how they are going to handle the pre-flight Covid testing in Hong Kong for passengers returning to the US after the cruise? Also, have there been any reports of Covid infections onboard?

They say they will be giving test at the dock terminal for everyone, even if you are staying.  The test is good for 3 days.