Our 1st cruise on Silversea Singapore to Hong Kong Jan 5, 2023

ronrick1943

IT’S TIME TO GIVE SILVERSEA A TRY…Singapore here we come!

This will be are first Silversea Cruise on the Spirit, we’ve cruise many times on Oceania, Regent, Sea Dreams with a few others mix in.  We’re looking forward to cruising on Silversea even with all that’s

going on today.

Before we start this journey, I hope you understand that any comments, feelings we have about this cruise are how we see and experience the cruise.  Everybody has a different opinions and may not see it the same way.  Please remember what we write during this trip is only our opinion as we see it.

The Ports aren’t that important to us, but we do love Asia.  We’ll take a few tours-but the ship experience is much more important, that is why we cruise.  We’re not demanding, but expect what we pay for to be as good as Silversea promise’s.  Every cruise line is different so we won’t be comparing them, this cruise will be about what we experienced doing this cruise.

Today we’re off to the airport here in Palm Springs, a small airport that is easy to get around.  We’ll be flying a short hop up to San Francisco spending the night at the Grand Hyatt SFO.  Flew up on United with a 3 hour delay (they said ground traffic control), good crew and luggage waiting.  Staying at the The Grand Hyatt SFO is your normal airport hotel, expect you walk a few hundred yards to a train taking you to the hotel lobby within a few minutes.  Actually it’s really better than just your normal airport hotel, great service, and a nice restaurant with “really good food”.

After spending the night we’re back on the train to United’s G gates.  We got to the airport early, checked in, walked over to Clear for security check, taken to TSA pre check and off to the Polaris lounge for breakfast.  Nice lounge, but they don’t meet the promise-not only poor presentation, but really mediocre food.

Now we’re off to the gate, stopping at a mini store for some Gatoraid for the flight.  We’ll be flying on the 787-9. Nice business class section, the section is a bit to big but the cabin is nice, seating is 1-2-1.  We have the 3rd row center, better seat when traveling as 2.  The crew is pleasant and service excellent.  Food is nothing to write home about or talk about……However we did bring a few snacks, like caviar (why not) and a few select cheeses for the trip to supplement the meal service.

Over all it was a nice 10 hour flight, we arrived in Honolulu- that’s right Honolulu.  Something happened to the controller radar in the Philippines airspace and we had to turn around and land in Honolulu.  We were within 7 hours of Singapore.  This effected 200+ flights in and around Asia.

United did a great job, until the second problem accrued and we had another day delay.  United did a so-so job at best.  However the ground staff did an excellent job.  Once back on the plane (3 days later) the United crew “outstanding”.

We landed in Singapore and it took all of 15 minutes from plane to luggage- and our luggage was in are hands within minutes (really).  Our car service (Blacklane)  excellent-in the JW Marriott South Beach in about 25 minutes.  Hotel check in fast and efficient, in our suite within 5 minutes.  It’s morning now (Jan 4), we had breakfast (no charge) at the “The Beach Road Kitchen” (Marriott Restaurant).  One of the nicest breakfast buffets, only complaint too large of a selection of foods (variety of foods from Asia) but good quality, great presentation and service.  Tomorrow we board the Spirit, we planned 4 nights in Singapore before the cruise-but we’ll settle for 1 1/2 days (Stuff happens, we got here and that’s what is important).

We’ll write again once on the ship………

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
fixed small font size
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Sure glad I flew the same flight a day after you. I spent a lovely NYE at the GH SFO. I’m SFO based so don’t have to try too hard to come up with an excuse to stay there. Always gets a trip off to a good start. 

I’m at the Andaz Singapore. It’s an easy MRT ride from the airport. Helps if you know where the station complex door to hotel building is. Great breakfast buffet of mixed cuisines. 

Looking forward to your views I did a similar cruise to this in 2018 on the Shadow, which had the advantage of sailing up the Saigon river. I expect you’ll have a coach in from the coast?

Glad you arrived safe and sound, all be it late. It serves as a reminder things can and do go wrong and why it’s good planning to schedule to arrive early at the embarkation port. I suspect panic set in!

Hope China doesn’t raise the bar for your arrival in Hong Kong after they’ve complained about testing requirements for its citizens and threatening retaliation to foreign nationals arriving in China. Fingers crossed for you.

We made it to the ship, easy drive (with driver).  You drive up, someone is right their to get your luggage.  Go up stairs to a waiting area until your group is called.  To me it was very organized and very fast.  They kept the groups small going though the check-in.  They started at 2:00PM and we were sitting in then Arts Cafe by 2:30PM.  Arts Cafe, service excellent- food very good. Suite was ready about 3:45PM, Butler came in about 20 minutes later to introduce him and see what we needed.  Dinner was at La Terrazza, early dinner and only had 2 courses.  The charcuterie board was nicely done and very good, however the salad we had next was tasteless at best.  The main course was Veal 

• Like 1

For some reason the full post didn’t get posted.  

The main course was Veal Milanese was very good.  WE didn’t have dessert so I can’t comments on that.  We were seated, place are drink order.  A few minutes later the waiter came up to get the dinner order—-we said we’d like to wait until after we enjoy the beverage service.  After all we’re in no hurry and want to enjoy dinner.  Other than that, the service was very good.

It’s now the 6th, breakfast was taken at La Terrazza.  Started out nicely, service was pretty bad.  It is a buffet, coffee was serviced- but no checked for refills, no took away dirty/used empty  plates of the table.  We returned to are suite—decided to go for some coffee at Arts Cafe, again service was outstanding (Compared to La Terrazza-it was superior, in fact so much better than La Terrazza the Arts Cafe should be training the waitstaff at La Terrazza.  In Arts Cafe “BOYKE, waitstaff couldn’t do enough for you with a great smile added on………Our Butler “Marlon” and Assistant “Nelson” really caring, knowledgeable and does his job really well….From the looks of it so far, this cruise should be good, time will tell.  Should you have any question just ask.

Just an add on:  Silversea on the Spirit they are showing “Safety For Everyone - Covid”, They have mask, sanitizer bottle’s and ask you to have separation between people when walking.  They also have hand sanitizer areas at the entrance to each restaurant.  Mask aren’t required, but most people we see are wearing them when walking around the ship.  You also got a testing kit on your bed when you arrived in your room.  Below photo from room desk.

1E9BD240-C598-4DA2-94DB-9A6DEBC91C05.jpeg

Lunch at Seishin: Nice place, small but looks great.  As I’ve been told Dinner may not be worth the extra, try lunch which we did.  Service was friendly and good——the Sushi and Sashimi wasn’t really that good, I don’t expect Novu—-But I expect better than I can buy at the grocery store, honestly my Ralphs and Von’s have better Sushi and Sashimi.  I’m not trying to be negative, but just telling you what I think about the food.  I think if Silversea is going to have a speciality  restaurant they should do it right or not at all.  Again staff was very good, but we won’t be back again for this dining spot.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Seishin for dinner was our favourite spot on the Spirit. The food was absolutely superb and it is a world of difference from lunchtime. It’s worth checking out the menu, it was absolutely worth every penny of the upcharge.

Thanks, the upcharge is no big deal—lunch was just not up to par, we may try it now.

Took a nap late this afternoon, the bed is really comfortable.  Nice linen’s, crisp and pressed.  To my surprise caviar was set up in the living room.  Nicely done by Marlin the Butler.  The caviar was really much better than I thought it would be, from the presentation to taste.  I’d give it 10, really………..B367EC92-531D-4D08-971C-C273A62146B8.thumb.jpeg.f91a4e818381dfb9b571acc37964f361.jpeg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Disappointed to see the heightened Covid precautions.  I wonder if it's across the fleet or just the Spirit as it is headed for China.  

Don’t know but personally I think it’s a good idea.  Better a little safer than sorry.  They did require you to have your vaccination certificate or test before you could get on the ship.  Also they spayed your carry on items.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Also they spayed your carry on items.  

Guess they mean business...can't have those carry ons multiplying unexpectedly!

Glad you're having a fun time so far.

• Haha 8

Tonight is formal night, we ate at Atlantide.  I’m really not the formal type, but I put on my dark suite and tie—most people did dress nicely.  A few no tie’s for men and some not so formal dresses for women.  No one was stopped, very one was seated which is OK with us.  But everyone looked good no matter what.

The Service again outstanding, the wine steward in are section was really good with personality plus and knew what he was talking about (FRANCISCO was his name).  The room itself was very inviting and had a nice look.  Once again the food was disappointing, the steak didn’t even look like a nice Ribeye and had no flavor at all. I had lobster which wasn’t bad, but not great without butter.  The steak frites were lukewarm, not crispy at all (mushy inside).  And what’s with this “are you ready to order” mintues after you sit down.  We stopped at the Art’s Cafe for coffee, again friendly remembering what coffee we liked.  I beginning to think the Art’ Cafe is the best organized group in food service on the ship.  If judging Atlantide I’d give service a 8 and food a 3.  Another thing - they know we don’t like to be seated on those bench type for 2, but they try that first and we just say no that is unacceptable.  It’s not like they are hurting for tables, they only have around 300 guest.

Unfortunately if the food continues to be off thoughout this cruise, we’ll be canceling are cruise Lima to Fort Lauderdale in December- we still have time before we loss a lot of cash.  It’s on the new Nova and we’re looking forward—however if the food doesn’t improve on the Spirit, we don’t want a repeat of this cruise.  After all food is an important part of the cruise to us.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

As a matter of interest what time are you going to dinner?

About 7:30PM, why?  It’s should be good no matter what time you go……….It has been the first few days, but that shouldn’t matter  either.  But we are giving it a chance- we have 11 days to go, we’re hoping for improvement.  I have to repeat myself, the Art’s Cafe really has it together, staff and food.

Tonight we’ll try Hot Rocks tonight.  

I’ve had some different experiences to ronrick1943. 

Embark: I had signed up for 2pm embark and showed up somewhat before 2. Assigned to group 8. 2:45 started process. On board 3:15 not without difficulty due to torrential downpour and slippery deck etc. 

Masks: very few are wearing masks and there are no requirements to do so. They are readily available should one wish to have one. 

Dinner service: in contrast have had very long waits to have our order taken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Today is Jan 7th, I know I mentioned we cruise to cruise and touring isn’t that important-but we do take one now and then or just walk around.  This we stopped for coffee at the Art’s Cafe since we really didn’t have time to eat a full breakfast.  Service was outstanding again, it got crowded because nothing else was open-but they got it done and everybody got what they needed.  Back to they suite and get ready for the Jeep Tour of KOH SAMUL in Thailand.  The Captain comes on and we have to park two miles off shore taking the little boats to the island.  Weather getting pretty bad, not wroth taking the chance as the wakes are getting bigger.  The Captain finally decides to cancel the port and move on—it’s not going to get better, but worse.  Really the Captain made the right choice as I see it—and kept making announcements keeping everybody informed.  That’s a very good thing in my book.

So it was off to La Terrazza for a buffet breakfast.  This morning food was good for a buffet and the service very good, cleaning off dirty plates fast, getting refills of coffee.  No complaints this morning, hopefully this will be the standard for the rest of the cruise.  Today we’ll try the buffet lunch and The Grill for dinner.  Up date you later………….

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I’ve had some different experiences to ronrick1943. 

Embark: I had signed up for 2pm embark and showed up somewhat before 2. Assigned to group 8. 2:45 started process. On board 3:15 not without difficulty due to torrential downpour and slippery deck etc. 

Masks: very few are wearing masks and there are no requirements to do so. They are readily available should one wish to have one. 

Dinner service: in contrast have had very long waits to have our order taken. 

We must have gotten just before you, it didn’t start to rain until we got on the ship.  When we walk around the ship we see quite a few people wearing mask and take them off once seated.  This morning at Art’s Cafe just about everybody was wearing when they entered.  That’s funny (not really) you have to wait to order and we’ve asked them to slow down.  Have a great cruise.

Just a question, what do you think about the food?

We had lunch today at the pool deck 9 (The Grill), Service for outdoor seating was like a restaurant-someone actually walked you to your table.  Service it’s was very good and friendly, the food mainly sandwiches, salads was really good.  The weather got better so the pool itself was pretty crowded, and pool lounges were available if you wanted one.