No App support for tablets

Married90

Got the wife a new Samsung tablet for Xmas to replace an old one running something like V7 android software….  Tried to download the celebrity app and found it says not supported.  The new  Tablet is running Android 12 same as my phone which has the app on it.   Tried contacting Celebrity and was told they no longer support the app on any tablet ( android or apple) only phones.   Funny, it runs fine on my IPad….  Basically they said “go pound sand”.    Is the app working on anyone else’s android tablet? 

I also can't get the Celebrity app on my Samsung 7 tablet.  The only one available is in Korean.  I got the new tablet to help with check-in, etc.  I sure hope something will be developed.  It worked fine on my old tablet.

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Both the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean apps work on my iPad. 

But they are not running on iPads as iPadOS apps they are running as iOS apps. Celebrity does not have an iPadOS app. So with some future version of iPadOS the Celebrity app may stop running since Celebrity does not have an iPadOS app. Really it is Celebrity’s decision whether to have an app on tablets. It costs money to support an app. Android is more difficult to support on multiple devices. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

I read the same comments on the RCI board. Seems that people cannot load the app on some new tablets. No longer supported.

Or old tablets. I was able to install the Celebrity and Royal apps on my Android tablet last year but not this year. 

11 hours ago, jelayne said:

The OP is seeking info on android tablets.

Sorry - the title was not specific.  

Also got distracted by this statement

"Tried contacting Celebrity and was told they no longer support the app on any tablet ( android or apple) only phones. "

While to app still works on my older Tab S7 Android tablet, I noticed on my new S22+ Samsung phone the dining and drink menus no longer show up is this something new? The menus still show on the tablet app.

Edited by terrydtx

13 hours ago, Married90 said:

Got the wife a new Samsung tablet for Xmas to replace an old one running something like V7 android software….  Tried to download the celebrity app and found it says not supported.  The new  Tablet is running Android 12 same as my phone which has the app on it.   Tried contacting Celebrity and was told they no longer support the app on any tablet ( android or apple) only phones.   Funny, it runs fine on my IPad….  Basically they said “go pound sand”.    Is the app working on anyone else’s android tablet? 

Did your wife try using Samsung Smart Switch app when setting up her new tablet? That may alleviate the need to download the app from the Play Store. The app works fine on my Samsung S7 Tablet.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

While to app still works on my older Tab S7 Android tablet, I noticed on my new S22+ Samsung phone the dining and drink menus no longer show up is this something new? The menus still show on the tablet app.

I have a new S22 Ultra phone and the app works perfectly. I just checked and the menus show on both my Samsung tablet and phone.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

Did your wife try using Samsung Smart Switch app when setting up her new tablet? That may alleviate the need to download the app from the Play Store. The app works fine on my Samsung S7 Tablet.

Yes but from her old tablet which the android OS was too old for it to load...

1 minute ago, Married90 said:

Her phone is a motorola...

I just checked the Google Play Store on my phone and it shows up. I checked on my Samsung S7 tablet and it's not there. I don't know why they would do that!

20 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I have a new S22 Ultra phone and the app works perfectly. I just checked and the menus show on both my Samsung tablet and phone.

I fixed the issue by remembering to go into the app settings on my phone and delete the cache under data storage. It works perfect now.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I get that, but why is a total mystery!

I think they don't want to spend the money. Almost everyone has a smartphone. That is not the case with tablets and most tablets are iPads not Android tablets. What runs on an iPhone will run on an iPad without modification. There is only one hardware maker. So Celebrity only has to test iPhone code when new OS versios are released. It is only incidental that their code runs on iPads because the same code works although it is obviously a phone app running not a tablet app. On Android the Android phone code does not incidentally work because there are multiple hardware makers. They have made a corporate decison only to support phones. 

Edited by Charles4515

And let’s face it, Celebrity is focusing on the age group that lives their lives on their phones. They aren’t interested in those of us who still remember dial telephones and huge desktop computers. They don’t care that our eyesight isn’t as good as it once was and therefore hard to read the small print on phone screens,  or that using the tiny keyboard to type is hard for older hands. The emphasis on marketing, use of the app to check in and on board, and now not supporting tablets are indicators that they want to appeal to the millennials and younger. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Straughn said:

And let’s face it, Celebrity is focusing on the age group that lives their lives on their phones. They aren’t interested in those of us who still remember dial telephones and huge desktop computers. They don’t care that our eyesight isn’t as good as it once was and therefore hard to read the small print on phone screens,  or that using the tiny keyboard to type is hard for older hands. The emphasis on marketing, use of the app to check in and on board, and now not supporting tablets are indicators that they want to appeal to the millennials and younger. 

Yes. They expect passengers  will  carry their  phone around the ship. Most people are not going to be walking around with their tablet. 

• Like 1