No App support for tablets

Married90

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with this issue.  Bought some small tablets to use with our Library -Libby app.  Disappointed that I can't use the RCL Or Celebrity apps. Cannot use Waze, either.

23 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

If you know a techy person you could side-load the app on the tablet.

I have loaded many things that were designed for the phone platform and installed them on android devices that say it is not supported. 

How do you side load? I checked the Google Play Store on my phone and the X app is there. When I checked on my tablet it is not offered. I currently have it installed on my tablet from when it was previously offered and it functions properly (both Samsung devices) but the app has not gotten the latest updates. The phone app has options that aren't offered on the the tablet app.

5 minutes ago, YensidCA said:

I would search YouTube / Google for - How to sideload apps on an android tablet

You need to jump thru a few hoops but it is possible. 

Thanks, I'll do that. I don't know why that didn't occur to me!

On 1/5/2023 at 11:47 AM, Charles4515 said:

I think they don't want to spend the money. Almost everyone has a smartphone. That is not the case with tablets and most tablets are iPads not Android tablets. What runs on an iPhone will run on an iPad without modification. There is only one hardware maker. So Celebrity only has to test iPhone code when new OS versios are released. It is only incidental that their code runs on iPads because the same code works although it is obviously a phone app running not a tablet app. On Android the Android phone code does not incidentally work because there are multiple hardware makers. They have made a corporate decison only to support phones. 

One more cut back by Celebrity Corporate, next will the wi-fi only work on phones and not laptops and tablets?

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

One more cut back by Celebrity Corporate, next will the wi-fi only work on phones and not laptops and tablets?

It does not cost more to publish to both but it would come down to testing. I work in IT and when we publish a new app we get everyone possible to test as there are so many flavors out there. 

This is an android problem only. Just think of how many different devices there are but with apple they are all the same. 

As much as everyone would like to think Celebrity is out to get you - no.  It has to do with Android vs IOS.  With Android there are so many platforms that the cost to try to test EVERY tablet that the app could be deployed on is enormous.  And, it just simply would not work on every tablet (think how many website issues they have now on Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc) - multiply that across every tablet manufacturer.  That's the issue.  It's not that they are out to get people with poor eyesight and are targeting only millennials.  It's simply a matter of keeping the app up to date and the inability to test properly - and it is not only Celebrity - many companies struggle with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YensidCA said:

If you know a techy person you could side-load the app on the tablet.

I have loaded many things that were designed for the phone platform and installed them on android devices that say it is not supported. 

yea, I already found the APK and will load it up this weekend.  That is far and above what 99% of people can do though... 

23 minutes ago, Married90 said:

yea, I already found the APK and will load it up this weekend.  That is far and above what 99% of people can do though... 

Absolutely an over-generalization. It's only above what 99% of people who can't be bothered to spend a few minutes learning how to do it can do. Sideloading APKs is quite easy, as a number of folks on here have already pointed out.  They just took the time to learn how to do it.

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

That is not technically possible.

In any case they are not blocking tablets they just don't update the code. Some reported that it works on Android 11. So code has to be rewritten to work on Andriod 12 as Android 12 broke the app. They update Android every year and are now in Android 13. If they wanted to support tablets on Android they need to test their app on devices during the beta period. The evidence seems to be they have decided not to. A buseness decision.

49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That is not technically possible.

In any case they are not blocking tablets they just don't update the code. Some reported that it works on Android 11. So code has to be rewritten to work on Andriod 12 as Android 12 broke the app. They update Android every year and are now in Android 13. If they wanted to support tablets on Android they need to test their app on devices during the beta period. The evidence seems to be they have decided not to. A buseness decision.

Just to be clear, per X thay no longer will support ANY tablet Android or Apple.   This is not an android issue.   

3 hours ago, YensidCA said:

This is an android problem only. Just think of how many different devices there are but with apple they are all the same. 

Completely and 100% incorrect.   Per X they have dropped all table support for both android and apple.   

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Absolutely an over-generalization. It's only above what 99% of people who can't be bothered to spend a few minutes learning how to do it can do. Sideloading APKs is quite easy, as a number of folks on here have already pointed out.  They just took the time to learn how to do it.

You are right.   I am 99.9% certain 99% of people can be brain surgeons also if they just take the time to learn how to do it...

1 hour ago, Married90 said:

You are right.   I am 99.9% certain 99% of people can be brain surgeons also if they just take the time to learn how to do it...

Also a silly generalization. There is clearly no relationship between neurosurgery and learning a simple procedure that takes a few minutes online. You obviously underestimate yourself.

6 hours ago, Straughn said:

And let’s face it, Celebrity is focusing on the age group that lives their lives on their phones. They aren’t interested in those of us who still remember dial telephones and huge desktop computers. They don’t care that our eyesight isn’t as good as it once was and therefore hard to read the small print on phone screens,  or that using the tiny keyboard to type is hard for older hands. The emphasis on marketing, use of the app to check in and on board, and now not supporting tablets are indicators that they want to appeal to the millennials and younger. 

I'm 58 and love the app.  I find it easier to make the font bigger on my phone rather than squinting at small print or fumbling for reading glasses.  My MIL is 86 and loved checking in with her phone recently on a cruise in Florida.  She told us she was very happy to be like her grandchildren and using her phone for things.  This system has nothing to do with marketing to millennials.  It's adapting to the current times.  It's why we go through training at our jobs to keep up with the latest software and technology.  I remember dial phones, VCRs, pay phones.  I also remember trying to decipher Drs notes, fellow nursing notes, trying to track down patient records.... 

I loaded the app on my iPad and it goes through a routine, but supplies no information, nothing to click  into.  It merely lists the date of my cruise and says "customizing the app, it's worth the wait".  Of course, it's not because it doesn't do anything, but flash, ship name, dates of cruise, and then, "expanding your horizons, shaking your martini, stocking your minibar, arranging your excursions, confirming your dinner reservations,  starting your turndown service, good things take time,  chilling your champagne." Maybe it does more when you're on the ship or closer to boarding date. 

1 hour ago, Married90 said:

Just to be clear, per X thay no longer will support ANY tablet Android or Apple.   This is not an android issue.   

I said in one of my posts that the reason the app worked on iPads was incidental. The code for iPhone apps will work on iPads. The developer does not have to do anything. But it is clearly an iPhone app designed for phones as it does not run full screen on a iPad. All Celebrity has to do is test their apps on iPhones betas each year, maybe make some code change for the iPhone app for the next OS version and it will incidentally run that way on an iPad. There is no guarantee that will be the case in the future and Apple has forked the iPhone OS from the iPad OS. It clearly is not supported on iPads. It runs without active support. 

Edited by Charles4515