Athens Pre-Cruise Places To Stay?

Cruise Man

Although I could give you a recommendation on the hotels that we've stayed at (namely, Athens Lodge, Odeon, and Hotel Byron, each of which was wonderful), I think that this depends on your travel style.  There are hundreds of hotels in Athens catering to every class of traveler.  Just look through a travel sites, such as booking.com to find a hotel that suits you and reserve it.

On 1/6/2023 at 11:53 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Athens Gate hotel -- have recommended it many times, always great reviews. They are close to the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum, Plaka, etc.  Great views from many rooms and rooftop bar where breakfast is served.

Hi cruisemom42. Been following your reviews and recommendations for a while. We are cruising TA in Apr 2024 ending in Athens. We have never been to Athens, or Greece for that matter, so will check out this hotel for post cruise stay.

Another "money is no object" recommendation would be the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We had a spectacular stay there and the rooftop restaurant has some of the most spectacular views of the Acropolis. They also have a fantastic outdoor rooftop pool on the other side of the restaurant. It's part of the Luxury Collection so you can redeem Marriott points on what can otherwise be a pricey stay. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 5:54 PM, Treasure Hunter said:

We are staying at the Niche Hotel with a view of the acropolis and walking distance of the old town restaurants.

We are looking at this hotel too. Do you know anyone who has actually stayed there? I'm going on location, price and reviews.

On 1/6/2023 at 4:45 PM, jwlane said:

If money is no factor, the Hilton is a fantastic property.  Hotel Attalos is a great rate, great location choice.

I believe the Hilton is closed (for the past year) for major renovations.  It may reopen late in 2024 as the Conrad Athens.

But sticking with your theme "if money is no object" than we would suggest the Grande Bretagne.  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 5:05 PM, princeton123211 said:

Another "money is no object" recommendation would be the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We had a spectacular stay there and the rooftop restaurant has some of the most spectacular views of the Acropolis. They also have a fantastic outdoor rooftop pool on the other side of the restaurant. It's part of the Luxury Collection so you can redeem Marriott points on what can otherwise be a pricey stay. 

Hi, I am staying there pre-cruise in April. The pictures on line look lovely.  And I want to thank you again for your help about the TWA property🙂.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am staying there pre-cruise in April. The pictures on line look lovely.  And I want to thank you again for your help about the TWA property🙂.

You have some fun hotels booked for your trip. Make sure to grab a drink on the roof in Athens and then another one in the TWA Constellation at JFK. Enjoy!

On 2/3/2023 at 7:34 PM, Crazy planning mom said:

We stayed at the Ava Boutique Hotel in.a suite.

It was fabulous and very close to the Acropolis.  https://youtu.be/bm48H8gTjjU

We stayed here several years ago and loved it - very well located and comfortable. We will be back in Athens in January '24 and definitely will be staying here again.

• Like 1

Stayed a few years ago at the Hilton precruise- great view from the rooftop restaurant and post cruise at Grande Bretagne( used points) 

Both were lovely but I preferred the location of GB. Close to many restaurants, shopping , and great service. 

You cannot go wrong with either. 

On 2/5/2023 at 4:20 PM, Lois R said:

The Grande Bretagne is one of those things that should be experienced. They also have a breakfast on their rooftop terrace. It's another chance to soak in the views but not inexpensive. (I seem to recall it included champagne...)

I also like the bar off the lobby (Alexander bar, I think?) with a tapestry of Alexander the Great.

• Like 3

On 1/6/2023 at 10:53 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Athens Gate hotel -- have recommended it many times, always great reviews. They are close to the Acropolis and Acropolis Museum, Plaka, etc.  Great views from many rooms and rooftop bar where breakfast is served.

Cruisemom42, I have a friend going and she's looking at this hotel. Can you tell me where this is located (is there a specific area of the city that this hotel exists, if that makes sense) and can she expect that if she takes a taxi from the airport to this hotel, it's going to be a fixed price of 38 euros, as someone mentioned on a prior post? Also, I'm assuming she can either have the hotel get her a taxi to the port or she can arrange something with one of the taxi companies also mentioned on other threads? Since you seem to know this hotel well,  I'm hoping you can give me some guidance for her.  Much appreciated!

24 minutes ago, texasparalegal said:

Cruisemom42, I have a friend going and she's looking at this hotel. Can you tell me where this is located (is there a specific area of the city that this hotel exists, if that makes sense) and can she expect that if she takes a taxi from the airport to this hotel, it's going to be a fixed price of 38 euros, as someone mentioned on a prior post? Also, I'm assuming she can either have the hotel get her a taxi to the port or she can arrange something with one of the taxi companies also mentioned on other threads? Since you seem to know this hotel well,  I'm hoping you can give me some guidance for her.  Much appreciated!

The hotel is located very centrally, it would be considered to be located in the Acropolis (Akropoli) area; it is about half a block from the Akropoli metro stop, a block or two from the Acropolis Museum (and across from the museum is one of the entrances to the Acropolis itself). It is also very close to the Plaka.  The hotel should be eligible for the fixed rate taxi.  Just be sure your friend mentions it to the driver upfront. (And note that a premium is charged for very late or very early arrivals).

I have arranged at least twice with the hotel desk for a taxi, either to the airport or to the port; they are happy to oblige and IMO you are less likely to get a driver who tries to cheat you on the meter, as they have a preferential relationship with the hotel.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

The hotel is located very centrally, it would be considered to be located in the Acropolis (Akropoli) area; it is about half a block from the Akropoli metro stop, a block or two from the Acropolis Museum (and across from the museum is one of the entrances to the Acropolis itself). It is also very close to the Plaka.  The hotel should be eligible for the fixed rate taxi.  Just be sure your friend mentions it to the driver upfront. (And note that a premium is charged for very late or very early arrivals).

I have arranged at least twice with the hotel desk for a taxi, either to the airport or to the port; they are happy to oblige and IMO you are less likely to get a driver who tries to cheat you on the meter, as they have a preferential relationship with the hotel.

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I really appreciate this.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:58 PM, dock said:

Stayed a few years ago at the Hilton precruise- great view from the rooftop restaurant and post cruise at Grande Bretagne( used points) 

Both were lovely but I preferred the location of GB. Close to many restaurants, shopping , and great service. 

You cannot go wrong with either. 

You can go very wrong with the HIlton since it no longer exists (mentioned this another post).

Hank