January cruisers please report on changes - true and false

phoenix_dream

Lots of speculation and rumors about what may or may not have changed as of January 1.  The extra lobster charge has been confirmed.  To my knowledge nothing else has.  Can someone onboard since January 1 weigh in on what is rumor versus what is true?

Rumors about cutbacks in the evening buffet, reduction in MDR offerings, reduction in classics menu, inability to order off MDR menu in Blu to name a few.

What changes have been put into place as of January 1?

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2

The room service charge has showed up on Celebrity's FAQ so I think we can confidently say that will be in place on all ships very shortly (by mid-January according to an article I read).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The room service charge has showed up on Celebrity's FAQ so I think we can confidently say that will be in place on all ships very shortly (by mid-January according to an article I read).

correct.  Forgot about that one.  People have posted photos showing it on their app so I would agree that is confirmed.

Perhaps it might be easier for you to tell us what you do not think has been confirmed?  That might be a shorter list.  X is raising prices and trying to save money.

The only one that I can recall that was not real was a no show fee perhaps for the MDR.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

I posted on another thread that EQ had reduced evening buffet. There was pasta, pizza. salad, and several main and side dishes. No grill and no stir fry. but there was ample food Also afew deserts and ice cream. Looked pretty good to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 39august said:

I posted on another thread that EQ had reduced evening buffet. There was pasta, pizza. salad, and several main and side dishes. No grill and no stir fry. but there was ample food Also afew deserts and ice cream. Looked pretty good to me.

As long as they have pasta and salad then I am good to sail!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Have you scanned any previous posts?  Seems to be dominating the discussions.

Exactly my point.  And much of it rumor, speculation based on what Royal is doing, or unconfirmed.  Sometimes people will experience something on one ship and just assume it is an across the board Celebrity change when it was in fact just a decision of that specific ship/sailing due to supply issues or onboard management decisions.  

I am trying to hear 'from the horses mouth" as the saying goes what has actually been confirmed by those sailing this month.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This has also been confirmed. Someone posted an emailed reply from Celebrity in another thread.

Do you trust Celebrity customer service to always be accurate?  I certainly don't based on many other posts of incorrect information being given.  Not saying it's wrong.  Just saying can someone actually on January sailings confirm.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

no one has reported that, rumor or otherwise

It was discussed on this site a month or two ago and at that time at least one cruiser said they personally experienced it.  Hoping it was perhaps limited to just that particular cruise if no one else has experienced it.  

46 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This has also been confirmed. Someone posted an emailed reply from Celebrity in another thread.

There was also a report of someone who spoke to someone from the corporate office that contradicted that e-mail.  

Just now, Salt Lifer said:

It was discussed on this site a month or two ago and at that time at least one cruiser said they personally experienced it.  Hoping it was perhaps limited to just that particular cruise if no one else has experienced it.  

I am only aware of this being a possible change on Edge class ships and do not know if it has been confirmed for all Edge class ships.  When we booked the Ascent a week or so ago we still had the option of early or late dining (in addition to anytime).

16 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I am only aware of this being a possible change on Edge class ships and do not know if it has been confirmed for all Edge class ships.  When we booked the Ascent a week or so ago we still had the option of early or late dining (in addition to anytime).

We are on Beyond in February and were confirmed 6pm Select Dining. Question is (and I started a thread today) where has Celebrity booked us? 1 themed restaurant for the whole cruise or rotating themed dining rooms?

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This response from Celebrity seems pretty definitive with regard to the reduced OVC offerings for dinner (click on the item and it should take you directly to the post, but if not it is post #471:

See also post #467 in that same thread where a poster talked to someone at the corporate office who said no final decision had been made.  Because of the contradictions between the two, I don't think we have confirmed anything with regard to the dinner buffet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canada17 said:

We are on Beyond in February and were confirmed 6pm Select Dining. Question is (and I started a thread today) where has Celebrity booked us? 1 themed restaurant for the whole cruise or rotating themed dining rooms?

IF they are still doing fixed dining, you will be assigned to one dining room, same table for the entire cruise.  The part I don't know is if they truly have eliminated fixed dining on all Edge class ships.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Canada17 said:

No more fixed seating dining on ANY edge class ship. It's all anytime dining, just walk up or see if you can get reservations in the cruise planner. 40% of the tables at any given hour are available for prebooking in the cruise planner. The remaining 60% is walk up. This was confirmed by the Restaurant Matre D', Restaurant hosts,  and Guest Services on the Beyond on the 10/26/22 sailing. It is a PERMANENT change. Do let ANYONE tell you otherwise. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Do you trust Celebrity customer service to always be accurate?  I certainly don't based on many other posts of incorrect information being given.  Not saying it's wrong.  Just saying can someone actually on January sailings confirm.

Of course not, but when the response in question is carefully worded and includes a sample menu, it didn't originate from your everyday customer service rep.

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

See also post #467 in that same thread where a poster talked to someone at the corporate office who said no final decision had been made.  Because of the contradictions between the two, I don't think we have confirmed anything with regard to the dinner buffet.

LOL, "no final decision has been made" is what corporate says on Wednesday to the person that they already know they will fire on Friday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

We are on Equinox right now.

I used to love the fresh made stir fry at Oceanview at lunchtime.  Both times I’ve been there at lunch, only prepared foods are available. Next time, I will ask but the ingredients are not set out.  🤷🏻‍♀️

In Blu, we have been told by multiple wait staff that they will get whatever we want from MDR menu (without being asked).

Forgot to mention, charge for room service is showing on X app on board as follows.  
“Room service is available to guests 24 hours a day, with the exception of the first day when room service is available at 5 pm, and the final evening at 1 am. All orders placed between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am have a service charge of $ 4.95 per delivery.” 

On issue of more expensive premium vs classic drink packages. the drink menus (and prices) on-board do not appear to have been changed for awhile.  So not sure whether upgraded and significantly more expensive drink packages make sense while drink prices on-board have not been increased commensurately.  🙄

Edited by Islander500
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I will board the constellation next week and will do a live thread. I will report exactly what is available each night in the dinner buffet.  Is there anything else you specifically want to know? 

I would be interested to hear what the cutbacks are in the main dining room.  Someone on The Beyond now reported a reduced menu. 
Hope you enjoy your cruise & thank you !  

• Like 2