Silhouette LIVE (1/12) w/ Side by Side: A Royal Week on Celebrity and MSC

GenerationX

So happy to follow this S2S with you!  We are doing S2S in May, MSC YC to NCL Suite (no Haven on the ship).  I am curious about the move between the ships, as I am worried about that.  I know that we can hop a cab, but we will have an infant with us and no car seat.  I was thinking about walking, but have been unable to find how far it is between terminals.  I think that MSC is Terminal J pending their new terminal completion---was that true for you?  And did X come in at the RCL terminal or another one?  Trying to get a feel for distance, since the new NCL terminal is next door to the RCL terminal at POM.  Appreciate any insight.

And enjoying your review!

2 hours ago, hopeless holiday booker said:

Hi.  Sorry to ask again but did you go to any of the shows and what were they like or does anyone else know?

Unfortunately I did not go to any of the shows. I think there was reserved seating for yacht club, but it always seemed like such a crowded mad house even trying to get into the theater that I felt overstimulated the couple of times I was going to go (even getting down there 15 minutes early) and gave up.

It turned out there was live music every night in the yacht club so I decided to just do that instead.

If anyone has first hand experience feel free to share, but I noticed that when I mentioned seeing shows to veteran cruisers they said I wasn’t really missing anything on Divina but that the new ships had more/better entertainment venues, but some of them with a small upcharge to get in.

• Thanks 1

While I’m waiting for my connecting flight home, a back in time report on my day yesterday: 

After having such a late night of pizza, I decided to sleep in a bit and then have breakfast poolside.  

The yacht club pool area has a buffet for breakfast and lunch with a small selection of additional items available cooked to order.

At breakfast there’s a fresh omelette station and they can also do pancakes, waffles and French toast to order.  As I was sitting for breakfast, I saw the captain and his cousin (who I’d cabana’d with the day before) finishing coffee and they waved me over for introductions!

The current captain of Divina is a very nice British gent named Chris Pugh. While we were chatting, he mentioned that his previous cruising career included time as an officer on The World (the residential cruise ship that I’m trying to convince Jeremy that we should live on when we retire).  He seemed genuinely interested in my impressions of my first MSC cruise and, in particular, how I was finding it in comparison to Celebrity.

After breakfast (don’t sleep on those fresh made pancakes btw, they’re really good and you can have them topped with various fruits, whipped cream, etc. if that’s your style), I decided not to trouble Kevin and just made my own way down to leave the ship.  There wasn’t as much of a crowd going off the second day so late in the morning so the line wasn’t very long.

When I got off I headed over to the waiting area for the yacht club golf cart where there was lounge seating and one of the butlers had cold still or sparkling water available while you wait for a cart.  The wait wasn’t very long because when myself and one other yacht club guest walked up, the butler immediately radioed for a cart and said it would be there for us in 2 minutes.  Right around that time one of my friends from the cabana group the day before also arrived and invited me to join them for their second day of cabana party!

As our golf cart was arriving I noticed my assistant butler rushing up to the cart (yes, two there are for each yacht club stateroom: master and apprentice).  

In evidence that the superior service being given in yacht club wasn’t just for me:

Apparently one of the other yacht club guests really likes to drink champagne with a bit of chambord, but chambord isn’t usually stocked in the bar at the ocean house restaurant. So Martin got a bottle from the ship and was sending it over to the restaurant for the day so the guest could have his favorite cocktail during his beach day.

On our golf cart ride, as we crossed the yacht club bridge, our driver stopped and started pointing down at the water.  There swimming around in the ocean inlet and popping his head up was a huge beautiful sea turtle!

When we got to the beach, it was a much hotter day so I decided to take a dip in the ocean before we started in on the cocktails. As I made my way into the water the life guard gave me a warning about doing “the stingray shuffle” and not going in too deep because a large stingray had been swimming around in the area all morning.  I had no idea there’d be so much sea life right off of such a busy island. I should’ve brought my snorkel gear.

About lunch time, as I was a couple of cocktails deep and singing along aloud to Rupert Holmes’ “Escape” (aka the pina colada song) with my cabana mates as it was being piped out of the island speakers, my eye caught two figures dressed in long pants with white shirts and epaulettes walking our way.  It was the yacht club director Raffa and Captain Pugh! 

As they approached I stood up and said “Sirs, whatever it is, I assure you I didn’t do it!”

Captain Pugh chuckled and put his hands up and replied “Well I didn’t do it either!” 😂

It turned out my zenith equivalent cabin mate had a lunch date with the captain at ocean house with a few other VIP guests.  

On this second day we had a different (and I think much better) cabana butler, Rakesh and he let us know when we settled in that since the restaurant was open for lunch, we could have anything on that menu delivered to the cabana complimentary, which was my lunch plan.

I certainly didn’t think I was worthy of lunch with the captain as a bottom of barrel, welcome level MSC loyalty club member (I tried to do their status match application to my Elite status on Celebrity but the website was such a pain I gave up). 

However Captain Pugh looked at me and said “Ms. Claypool would you care to join us?”  I definitely would have picked a different outfit than a purple and pink flamingo bikini and tourist shop-purchased swim cover up for my first time ever getting to dine with the master of a vessel I’m sailing on.  But I figured it was not an invitation to turn down!

Even with a couple of rum punches in my system I was initially a nervous wreck, but lunch turned out to be so much fun!  Captain Pugh is so down to earth and approachable.  

I was still conscious though of trying not to look like an unsophisticated American.  I mean there I was tipsy, in a bathing suit, beachside in the Bahamas and yet on my best charm school manners trying to make sure that my shoulders never touched the back of those casual beach club patio chairs and keeping mindful of balancing the imaginary book on my head. 😂

Anyhow, let me tell you about the ocean house food.  Ocean House is a yacht club exclusive dining venue and there’s no extra charge for it.  I think this restaurant may be the one of the best perks of sailing in yacht club.  All of the seafood tasted fresh and well seasoned.

The only thing I didn’t love was the salad, but that was only because it was good, not great and had to compete with the octopus, ceviche, mahi mahi and the surprise lobster roll (which I didn’t order but the chef wanted us to try).

By this point in the cruise I was trying to slightly ease back my carb intake so I just ate the lobster salad out from between the bun but I thought it was better than the (still good) lobster roll that I had at the Porch (a specialty upcharge restaurant) on Silhouette.

After lunch when we returned to the cabana, we saw that Rakesh had left us some chilled fruit skewers (I guess I retract my previous statement that they aren’t offered). A few minutes later he came down from ocean House carrying a surprise…coconut cocktails made from coconuts picked fresh from trees on the island that morning!

Pics of the island fun below.  I’ll be heading to flight #2 soon, but sometime this weekend I’ll finish up my report on my last night onboard and share final thoughts on my amazing 8 night vacay.

E0E88A32-401A-4D08-8B6D-E57C935B5E1B.thumb.jpeg.38266ae7237d386e0a9e1eb478b0e98d.jpeg

654809D4-DC27-44CB-979A-AA9EFB15AFA0.thumb.jpeg.de3fa4257ac503393980be7fe102c50f.jpeg

897E9318-CF7B-442C-8311-03EB8FDAFD1F.thumb.jpeg.dac2b2d304bc0872d8e4dda13dc99b5f.jpeg

CE7CC7DC-8522-4849-9580-B4EC10732856.thumb.jpeg.9dea2390eebd282cf281a58cb3b81d66.jpeg

B8A17FC8-202F-49A1-9CDF-EE830CCE8576.thumb.jpeg.925cf64b865d781cb7f4a34295f2a682.jpeg

52AEA58C-A212-4A20-8B5A-106E1CCE9B5A.thumb.jpeg.3516591a8fbd6a47d4116c6a6320f8e9.jpeg

908BD2D8-A35C-4260-A7E7-FBF1069919DA.thumb.jpeg.f3b71e822e55ac96084c6065af004bb9.jpeg

26BEB9E2-A45B-4E0E-AFEE-079DEA2958E9.thumb.jpeg.8db15068cb748644d5e3c3c97dbd0fc1.jpeg

B0A0ADB6-214D-4862-BC27-CE423FF1A28F.thumb.jpeg.cea85d0f765465f16fe7598c37b67c56.jpeg

B8D3C92B-14CA-41BF-8491-3F044458AC79.thumb.jpeg.06f3cf554a03381728daeb92e92f835c.jpeg

930F5737-54F4-43E4-878F-CE16873B400C.thumb.jpeg.613c5e145c887aba97067ec16cb69681.jpeg

9D593DDB-17EB-4774-8914-C333039D4ED8.thumb.jpeg.4bb344c348f8842305d8e12714c79a60.jpeg

8054CF3C-E6CC-4889-A9EA-D490CDD2C4D8.thumb.jpeg.4d6204526aeed8a55a9303ba05d9ace2.jpeg

7E0F094A-E02E-4791-94B8-2A416D0DE6B5.thumb.jpeg.3eebf6d9b0e02f36c27aa2aea9e92e79.jpeg

7ED8D79D-AB06-4326-95C8-CB7480823FD8.thumb.jpeg.19354932b28f1dbf59bfa7cf876c4e59.jpeg

345CE935-7082-4064-9753-83B947B45C66.thumb.jpeg.b475277a7994d90fc9d5c015cace7914.jpeg

C9ECE2FB-50EC-4B6D-A095-03222A47843E.thumb.jpeg.735cbe5fa54b080369ab73a37788241e.jpeg

1D698F92-D05E-47A1-A8D9-EB8C4AF0A5AC.thumb.jpeg.2b1a8d73a431870d1e8d55b9fef5a66e.jpeg

27BA897E-AD89-4500-BC59-0B84719B5E1C.thumb.jpeg.806b0ea399e45028bfa8fe8f465b0dcc.jpeg

63BD29BE-4AC0-48F9-B0F6-6AB3203EB907.thumb.jpeg.559d083af87cfa7e8aa39f986de6d814.jpeg

F0F3334C-F1C0-46D8-84C9-88A6328D3623.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Ok, Charla, I'm sold on MSC Yacht Club thanks in no small part to your review. Truth be told, you probably had me at "cheese cart" on night one. I just mentioned it to my wife and she asked when are we going? 😎

Safe travels home!

• Like 3

Thank you so much for your review Charla.  I'm sure you are unhappy your holiday is over, but I am even more so....  For the past couple of years this has been my only form of cruise entertainment and I loved reading your reviews every day.  Love your pictures and your style of writing.  Have you ever thought of writing a book ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Unfortunately I did not go to any of the shows. I think there was reserved seating for yacht club, but it always seemed like such a crowded mad house even trying to get into the theater that I felt overstimulated the couple of times I was going to go (even getting down there 15 minutes early) and gave up.

It turned out there was live music every night in the yacht club so I decided to just do that instead.

If anyone has first hand experience feel free to share, but I noticed that when I mentioned seeing shows to veteran cruisers they said I wasn’t really missing anything on Divina but that the new ships had more/better entertainment venues, but some of them with a small upcharge to get in.

Thank you.

On 1/13/2023 at 7:19 PM, Linda W. said:

Penner Ash is one of my favorite Pinots! In my opinion they’re one of the best out of Willamette Valley.  It has that signature Pinot light body but it’s also a little jammy on the finish which I really enjoy.

It wasn’t available by the glass so I had to purchase the whole bottle, but got a 20% discount on bottle purchases with the premium beverage package.  

I like that if you do buy a bottle and don’t finish it, the somm can either send the rest to your room or have it put in dining room wine storage and send it to your table at whatever restaurant you’ll be dining at the next night.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Thank you so much for the polite and respectful discourse on different perspectives on an issue!  

It’s so sad to me that being able to have a candid, yet respectful discussion of one’s differing opinions has become so rare these days. Especially online.

I am so sorry to hear about your stroke, but so glad that you made in through in a situation where it sounds like many don’t. I hope that your recovery continues well and that the doctors are able to quickly give you some answers so that you are back on deck at sea sipping an ice cold glass of Pinot Grigio very soon!

In fact, please let me know when you do get back out to sea and if our itineraries ever cross, Jeremy and I will  treat you and your husband to a bottle of a good Pinot Grigio on us and we can all toast and celebrate your return to health and travel!

Thank you so much.   You are so sweet!  Hubby and I went out to University of Pennsylvania yesterday.  Some additional testing demonstrated a "hole" in between the chambers of my heart that may be the culprit causing my stroke.  I am scheduled this Thursday at University of Pennsylvania Hospital for surgery to have this hole closed.  Good vibes and positive healing thoughts (and prayers if you are so inclined; if not, no problem) are gladly accepted.  And I will continue to follow your adventures, and if our paths do ever cross, I will hold you to your offer of a good bottle of Pinot Grigio!

• Like 14

On 1/15/2023 at 7:21 PM, tcmagnum said:

I am thoroughly enjoying your live review.

Specifically your ‘go with it attitude’!!
We are less than 3 weeks out from our ten day cruise on the Connie and can’t wait.

I’ve been trying to stay away from all the doom and gloom posts.  

Concerning MSC…Have you ‘matched’ to your level with Celebrity?
We we’re on the Seaside on one of the last cruises before the ‘shutdown’.

Best pizza on a cruise ever!!!
We found out fast we don’t like the huge ships.

Have a great rest of your amazing trip!!!
And Thank You so much for the upbeat/funny/informative review!!!!

Thank you! I did try to do the status match a few weeks pre cruise, but the website was being tricky and I gave up. I decided it wasn’t worth investing the time unless/until I knew whether I’d even be interested in sailing MSC again after this cruise.

Knowing what I know now,  I’ll definitely be giving it another go!  Enjoy your sail on Connie!

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 2

Glad you  had a great cruise and the Caps lunch as a nice bonus. 

I bet you will be a repeat cruiser with them and have brought them many new fans,.

Looking forward to your next reviews!

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Thank you! I did try to do the status match a few weeks pre cruise, but the website was being tricky and I gave up. I decided it wasn’t worth investing the time unless/until I knew whether I’d even be interested in sailing MSC again after this cruise.

Knowing what I know now,  I’ll definitely be giving it another go!  Enjoy your sail on Connie!

Definitely do the status match.  I signed myself and my two traveling companions up and we are now entitled to a Voyagers Club discount (not a huge discount but every little bit helps!).  Since we are Zenith on Celebrity we were given Diamond status on MSC, which does come with a few perks.

I know exactly what you mean regarding the website.  While I had no problem whatsoever doing the status match for 3 of us, when I check pricing on the sailing that we are interested in (just so I have a ballpark figure of what we will have to pay for 2 Yacht Club balcony suites) I keep getting different pricing all throughout the day.  I find it very hard to fathom that the pricing changes that frequently all the time.  It's a difficult website for sure.  I'll let my travel agent deal with all these pricing discrepancies on Monday....LOL

Edited by jcpc

Well everyone, for the first time in 8 days, I’ve had really disappointing food and service experiences.

The presentation of my short rib dinner on the flight home last night was appalling and the pasta for the Mac and cheese clearly was not made fresh daily.

When I ordered my usual morning latte, the  (albeit devastatingly handsome) server took almost 20 minutes to bring it. Almost like he had to go up the road to a donut shop for it and there was no cute heart design in the foam or piece of biscotti on the side.

The behavior of other suite guests in the lounge also leaves much to be desired.

Nevertheless, while I’m sipping and pouting, I’m going back through the review and making note of a few things I still need to report on and trying to respond to questions that I missed.  I can’t believe we’re at 16 pages 😮 so if I do still miss something, please feel free to remind me and ask again.

8D29B133-9279-4AC8-B361-A7EBB2D9DB0F.thumb.jpeg.627dcae7355805bdc5d2c0d93d6f09d4.jpeg

810F9A57-645B-4AC5-8FAF-DF1CCFE073D2.thumb.jpeg.f5ef4a2af9e937647ea2c6ecda3d681e.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 12

Thank you so much for another fabulous review!  What a great trip along with you and likely the closest I’ll get to being in a suite 😉 thank you for taking the time to share through your vacation!