Help with New England/Canada please

hollon

I want to go on a new england/canada cruise in October,   I need help with a good itinerary?  Boston, Maine, Quebec.

Also, Norweigan Escape (Bigger ship - never cruised NCL), but i do enjoy rccl's oasis class. Rccl would be Serenade of the Seas (smaller) But, we are going for the itinerary.

thank you

We are considering a Canada/NE cruise in 2024. Have you checked the Departures Boards for this info? I think there are separate groups for Boston, Cape Liberty/Bayonne NJ, and Baltimore. We would also be going for the itinerary and think a smaller ship would be perfect for this type of cruise. We sailed on Radiance in Alaska, which is a "sister ship" to Serenade and really enjoyed it. Lots of windows to soak in the view.

• Like 1

October should be a good month to go - weather in Boston and Maine will be cooler than you may be used to but not horrible.  If you go early in month, you may see more foliage.  Boston is a great walking city, plenty to see and do.  Stay a few days before or after to enjoy it to the fullest.  

There are a few options...

Quebec to New York- small ship for sure (Jewel has been doing it now), and you get to see some ports in the St. Lawrence that can only be gotten on that itierary.

Baltimore north- small ship due to home port.

New York north- variable ships we were on Anthem many years ago, but it's now a second ship

Boston north- used to be a smaller ship, but we were just on the Voyager - which I guess is small these days.

The itineraries are all the same, though- Portland, Halifax, Sidney, St John.  The cruises from New York and Baltimore may stop in Boston, too.  No more Bar Harbor.

thank you, what are yalls favorite.

8 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We are considering a Canada/NE cruise in 2024. Have you checked the Departures Boards for this info? I think there are separate groups for Boston, Cape Liberty/Bayonne NJ, and Baltimore. We would also be going for the itinerary and think a smaller ship would be perfect for this type of cruise. We sailed on Radiance in Alaska, which is a "sister ship" to Serenade and really enjoyed it. Lots of windows to soak in the view.

yes, it's just so overwhelming, well at least right now 🙂     I'm bringing people who have not cruised before, so want the schedule to be really nice

1 hour ago, hollon said:

thank you, what are yalls favorite.

yes, it's just so overwhelming, well at least right now 🙂     I'm bringing people who have not cruised before, so want the schedule to be really nice

To us, one of the best cities to visit is Quebec City.  We stayed there for 3 nights before our cruise. 

And it will also include Boston on the way down, let alone a stop in New Brunswick.  

It's a longer cruise, but a really good one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

PEI and overnight in Quebec were the highlights of our cruise.

OTOH, I could do without Sydney and St. John....

Cape Liberty to Quebec on Vision of the Seas

what was sydney and st john like? That you didn't like? 

25 minutes ago, hollon said:

First, let me say that we're Israelis, and our interests may vary from those living in US, like the display in Lunenburg, NS, or the tides ... We've seen those in Normandy.

There was nothing of interest for us in those stops, but they are on the way anyhow.... and took it into consideration.

Our "interesting" part of the itinerary included Boston, where we roamed Beacon Hill, Charles Park and Quincy Market; Newport, where we visited several mansions; Bar Harbor -- Acadia Park/Jordan Lake and Cadillac Mountain; Halifax -- Peggy Cove and the Botanical Garde;, PEI -- private tour of Cavendish, Red beach, Rustico, Confederation Bridge, etc. (not including Anne of Green Gables).

1 hour ago, hollon said:

If you like to wander around small town north America- they are ok.  The Market area in St John is nice.

But if that's not enough, you will have to take an excursion.  Neither are particularly tourist centric cities.

23 hours ago, hollon said:

I want to go on a new england/canada cruise in October,   I need help with a good itinerary?  Boston, Maine, Quebec.

Also, Norweigan Escape (Bigger ship - never cruised NCL), but i do enjoy rccl's oasis class. Rccl would be Serenade of the Seas (smaller) But, we are going for the itinerary.

thank you

You may also want to consider Celebrity Cruises. Celebrity also offers an excellent NE/Canada cruise. Did one in September 2019 (14 nights) and September 2022 (12 nights). 

We've done the NE/Canada on Anthem out of NJ one time in Oct and loved it.  We're booked for this fall on Jewel to do the NJ to Quebec City (NB) and Quebec City to NJ (SB) this Oct into Nov.  Jewel (Radiance class like Serenade) is a great ship to do this itinerary on as there are so  many places to  sit and watch out windows.   This will be our first time going north of Nova Scotia and can't wait.  There is lots to see in all the ports so it's nice we get to do them twice.  Although, Boston isn't on the itinerary and I'm waiting to see if Bar Harbor stays.

Point to note whether you stay on the coast or go through the St Lawrence.  Sailing to/from Quebec City is very beautiful during fall colours and I recommend a full aft on a Radiance class ship as they have sort of wings that keep the balconies from being as windy.  Full aft gives you panoramic view along the river transit.  QC is full of fun stuff and lots of history.

All of the Maritime Canadian ports are small town compared to Boston so bear that in mind in terms of what to do and what to expect. A lot of history, much cultural heritage.  Concur with the post about early October for best colours.  Around Canadian Thanksgiving is usually peak colours (second week October).  September is usually most sunshine and clear weather in Halifax area.

Great beer, wonderful celtic music,  all things apples (Nova Scotia), francophonie heritage all through the Maritimes not just Quebec, old british forts, lots of handicrafts.   Spectacular scenery.  Lobster Lobster Lobster and all kinds of great seafood.  Enjoy!

be warned regardless of month etc u could miss the tender ports or even the dock ports.   in sept we missed RI, Maine, and halifax. 3 out of 5 stops!  crazy weather. thankfully princess gave us 35% FCC , unsure if other lines would have.