Bringing snacks

6 hours ago, hmatt said:

It’s been a few years since we have been to Australia, can’t 

remember if Australia allows snacks from America to be 

with us in our luggage. Snacks such as crackers, nuts and

candy all in their wrappers from the store. 
Hoping Covid isn’t giving everyone problems!

thank you

Debbie

As long as the nuts are not raw or in the shell.  Roasted peanuts, for instance, are okay.  And I will repeat for emphasis, even though candy is allowed, always declare you have food on your incoming passenger card.

14 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

Aussie supermarkets (I think the closest to your hotel would be the Coles Wynyard and the Woolworths Metcentre ones at Wynyard Railway Station) sell pre-mixed coffee selections by Jarrah.  Another option is the Asian supermarkets in/near Chinatown (near Central Railway Station) - they may have what you currently use.

Thank you.

Is Wynyard Railway Station and Central Railway Station within short walking distance from the Four Seasons Hotel?  I prefer not to take transportation if at all possible.

37 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.

Is Wynyard Railway Station and Central Railway Station within short walking distance from the Four Seasons Hotel?  I prefer not to take transportation if at all possible.

You could start from your hotel and do the following:

Walk along George Street to Metcentre (273 George Street). It is an easy 450 metre (less than a third of a mile) walk from the Four Seasons. Woolworths is down an escalator. Metcentre is a connected to the station complex and Coles is above the station.

Walk from Wynyard Station to Town Hall Station (800 metres or about half a mile). There is a Woolworths here and nearby you can find Citi Super Asian Supermarket at 580 George Street (I have not been here myself but it does appear to be open) and Miracle Asian Supermarket downstairs in the World Square Complex at 644 George Street (there is also a Coles Supermarket here).

Walk from Town Hall to Chinatown via George Street, Liverpool Street and Sussex Streets (about 1.1 km or three quarters of a mile) to the Chinatown area. Some supermarkets around here are Tong Li Supermarket 79 Quay Street (south end of Chinatown), Thai Kee IGA Supermarket in Market City, Hay Street (above the city markets 'Paddy's Markets' which are open Wed - Sun) and New Yen Yen Supermarket 8 Quay Street.  There are many more but I can't be sure which are open and if they have what you need, but they are always interesting.

The walk back to the Four Seasons from Quay Street is about 2.4 km (1 and a half miles).  This Quay Street has nothing  to do with Circular Quay (near your hotel) but for the now gone quays and jetties to the west.

You could walk about 450 metre (less than a third of a mile) to Central Station and catch a train back to Circular Quay or catch the light rail along George Street.

16 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Could someone comment on how similar New Zealand is to Australia about bring in food, medications, etc.?

Pretty much the same. Commercially processed and packaged foods all okay (except meats and other high risk items - definitely don't bring in honey) but rule of thumb is declare everything on your incoming passenger card, that way if something is deemed not allowed, it will be taken off you but you won't be fined. I write a list of anything edible that I have in my possession and usually reading the list is enough for bio security.

As regards meds, for prescription meds bring in original packaging showing dispensary prescription label or doctor's prescription note. Over the counter, everyday common items (painkillers, sea sickness etc) are fine, in reasonable quantities, ie not a suitcase full. Be aware that some meds available over the counter legally overseas such as medicinal cannabis are not allowed. If you have anything like that prescribed, just declare it.

In summary, Declare, Declare  Declare, and you won't be fined.

Edited by Jean C

52 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Pretty much the same. Commercially processed and packaged foods all okay (except meats and other high risk items - definitely don't bring in honey) but rule of thumb is declare everything on your incoming passenger card, that way if something is deemed not allowed, it will be taken off you but you won't be fined. I write a list of anything edible that I have in my possession and usually reading the list is enough for bio security.

As regards meds, for prescription meds bring in original packaging showing dispensary prescription label or doctor's prescription note. Over the counter, everyday common items (painkillers, sea sickness etc) are fine, in reasonable quantities, ie not a suitcase full. Be aware that some meds available over the counter legally overseas such as medicinal cannabis are not allowed. If you have anything like that prescribed, just declare it.

In summary, Declare, Declare  Declare, and you won't be fined.

This is great info!  Thank you.  I have cough candies with medicinal ingredients of menthol and eucalyptus essential oil; non medicinal ingredients including honey and corn syrup. Standard and generic brands, OTC.  These should be declared?

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you.

Good answer above. Also, the concierge desk at Four Seasons is usually legendary. They will give you a walking map and might be able to offer some closer alternatives.

17 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Could someone comment on how similar New Zealand is to Australia about bring in food, medications, etc.?

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/bring-send-to-nz/bringing-and-posting-items-to-nz/check-if-you-can-bring-or-send-an-item-to-nz/

The fine for undeclared prohibited items is a bit cheaper in N.Z. at $NZ400.00, plus confiscation.  

34 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

This is great info!  Thank you.  I have cough candies with medicinal ingredients of menthol and eucalyptus essential oil; non medicinal ingredients including honey and corn syrup. Standard and generic brands, OTC.  These should be declared?

Yes, declare them to be on the safe side but I'm sure they'll be okay. Honey lozenges/candies will be okay (cooking process will have killed any nasties) but be diligent and declare anyway. From memory the NZ declaration card is a lot more specific now about what needs to be declared.

Many moons ago I was on a flight returning to NZ and there was an announcement saying dairy items couldn't be brought into NZ, chocolate contained milk so was not allowed. That was so incorrect as regards chocolate! As we walked down the aisle to exit the plane we passed seat after seat with discarded chocolate on it, enough to make a chocoholic weep 😪

I refer to Jean's post above. When we have entered Aust with food items I have a list showing the items and where they were obtained. The items were in my hand luggage for inspection as needed, but each time, the Quarantine Officer simply looked at the list and said it was all OK. There were no meat items or honey.

5 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Yes, declare them to be on the safe side but I'm sure they'll be okay. Honey lozenges/candies will be okay (cooking process will have killed any nasties) but be diligent and declare anyway. From memory the NZ declaration card is a lot more specific now about what needs to be declared.

Many moons ago I was on a flight returning to NZ and there was an announcement saying dairy items couldn't be brought into NZ, chocolate contained milk so was not allowed. That was so incorrect as regards chocolate! As we walked down the aisle to exit the plane we passed seat after seat with discarded chocolate on it, enough to make a chocoholic weep 😪

That experience would have made me weep!

1.  OK, I looked up the NZ Passenger Arrival Card. Two categories I think would be relevant:  1. Animal or animal product (but honey cooked into the candies?) and 2. Medicines (are these candies medicines because they have "Medicinal ingredients?) See my post 32.

Declaring is the best idea for sure.

2.  Is it OK to put to non-prescription items like aspirin, tylenol, gravol (seasickness med) in labelled tiny plastic bags to save room?  The original pill bottles are huge and take up so much room in luggage!

8 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I refer to Jean's post above. When we have entered Aust with food items I have a list showing the items and where they were obtained. The items were in my hand luggage for inspection as needed, but each time, the Quarantine Officer simply looked at the list and said it was all OK. There were no meat items or honey.

I did just that in Australia several years ago.  I had no honey-containing cough candies at that time an certainly no food. The Quarantine Officer said the same to me then as to you.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

You could start from your hotel and do the following:

Walk along George Street to Metcentre (273 George Street). It is an easy 450 metre (less than a third of a mile) walk from the Four Seasons. Woolworths is down an escalator. Metcentre is a connected to the station complex and Coles is above the station.

Walk from Wynyard Station to Town Hall Station (800 metres or about half a mile). There is a Woolworths here and nearby you can find Citi Super Asian Supermarket at 580 George Street (I have not been here myself but it does appear to be open) and Miracle Asian Supermarket downstairs in the World Square Complex at 644 George Street (there is also a Coles Supermarket here).

Walk from Town Hall to Chinatown via George Street, Liverpool Street and Sussex Streets (about 1.1 km or three quarters of a mile) to the Chinatown area. Some supermarkets around here are Tong Li Supermarket 79 Quay Street (south end of Chinatown), Thai Kee IGA Supermarket in Market City, Hay Street (above the city markets 'Paddy's Markets' which are open Wed - Sun) and New Yen Yen Supermarket 8 Quay Street.  There are many more but I can't be sure which are open and if they have what you need, but they are always interesting.

The walk back to the Four Seasons from Quay Street is about 2.4 km (1 and a half miles).  This Quay Street has nothing  to do with Circular Quay (near your hotel) but for the now gone quays and jetties to the west.

You could walk about 450 metre (less than a third of a mile) to Central Station and catch a train back to Circular Quay or catch the light rail along George Street.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such detailed information!!  Greatly appreciate it!!  Will print out your directions to take with us.

23 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for the link and everyone's information.  To be safe, I will throw away my snacks before getting off the plane.  I have one day in Sydney before getting on my cruise, I will go to the supermarket in Sydney to buy the individual package snacks (to bring onshore to snack during my cruise excursions).

Probably the best course of action if you're the least bit concerned.  Unless you really did want to have your 5 minutes of fame via an appearance on Border Security?   

4 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Probably the best course of action if you're the least bit concerned.  Unless you really did want to have your 5 minutes of fame via an appearance on Border Security?   

I will pass.  😊

Thanks to information from Wombat706, we decided we will not bring any food or snacks (nothing can be more safe than not bringing anything at all). We will just go to the supermarkets to get all the things we need for the cruise and on shore excursions.  Also can buy some Australian snacks, nuts, coffee, etc. to bring home.  Our cruise disembark at our home city, less than 30 minutes to drive home.  Can bring back as much goodies/souvenirs as we want (from Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti, and Hawaii).  ☺️ 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

2.  Is it OK to put to non-prescription items like aspirin, tylenol, gravol (seasickness med) in labelled tiny plastic bags to save room?  The original pill bottles are huge and take up so much room in luggage!

There would be no problem with non-prescription items in plastic bags in your check-in bag. I have to mention that on one cruise my husband insisted on taking a large container of fish oil capsules - too much trouble to count out what we would need for a 47 night cruise. There was quite a lot over when we returned to Aust. This was picked up when our luggage was X-rayed so we had to open the bag and explain what these little capsules were. Of course, that job was left to me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is it OK to put to non-prescription items like aspirin, tylenol, gravol (seasickness med) in labelled tiny plastic bags to save room?  The original pill bottles are huge and take up so much room in luggage!

It might cause problems and delays. They only have your word that the anonymous pills are what you say they are, and not MDMA or something. They may get crushed in the plastic bags, and some medications are meant to be swallowed whole.  Isn't it worthwhile to just buy smaller size bottles especially for this trip? I know they cost more, but it's nothing compared to the overall cost of the trip.

Edited by cruiser3775

1.  OK, I looked up the NZ Passenger Arrival Card. Two categories I think would be relevant:  1. Animal or animal product (but honey cooked into the candies?) and 2. Medicines (are these candies medicines because they have "Medicinal ingredients?) See my post 32.

Anonymous pills can be a potential hassle, especially in quantity.

Rather than taking them out of big bottles, we just travel with blister strips. The branding is on the strips, and they don't take up much weight or space.

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Probably yes - or leave them at home and when you get to NZ go to any local corner diary (store) or supermarket or pharmacy and buy some Kurols - they are dirt cheap and the most effective throat lozenge you will ever use. They are often by the till rather than on the shelves Kurols Original - 85gm packs | Lollies NZ 

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, buchhalm said:

I suggest you stay well clear of bringing anything containing meat/fish/poultry. And HONEY!

Most commercially packed snack foods will be OK.

DECLARE ANYTHING you stick in your mouth. Simple as that.

If it is on the declaration they will not fine you in case the items are not allowed.

Dont declare it, and they CAN issue steep fines.

Though there isn't a spot to declare many foodstuffs. Unless what a passenger is bringing in fits into one of the categories the answer will be 'No'. 

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 3.30.06 pm.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Honey in candies is fine, honey in a jar hasn't been processed, ie is a raw product, and there's a chance it could contain an unwanted pest or disease that could affect our own honey industry.

I'm sure you'll be okay with an everyday amount of asprin, Tylenol etc. Mature passengers in particular can pretty much be guaranteed to travel with a collection of different meds, they probably won't bat an eyelid. Relax, be sensible and enjoy your trip.

On another recent journey back to NZ we got talking to an elderly couple in the departure area who brought mandarins in their hand luggage to eat before the flight.  I said to my companion that if it had been me, I would have kept them in a plastic bad completely separate from my hand luggage to avoid the sniffer dogs detecting fruit smells in my hand luggage on arrival. Sure enough when we arrived in NZ the dogs targeted them, they were pulled aside and they had their bags checked 🥴

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jean C said:

On another recent journey back to NZ we got talking to an elderly couple in the departure area who brought mandarins in their hand luggage to eat before the flight.  I said to my companion that if it had been me, I would have kept them in a plastic bad completely separate from my hand luggage to avoid the sniffer dogs detecting fruit smells in my hand luggage on arrival. Sure enough when we arrived in NZ the dogs targeted them, they were pulled aside and they had their bags checked 🥴

Those NZ dogs are very well trained and have good sense of smell. We had apples in my bag and ate them at Melbourne airport before flying to NZ. When we arrived in Auckland a dog came up to me 3 times. I was very confused until the border force person asked me what I had carried in the bag during the last few days. When I mentioned the apples she rewarded the dog, but did not even search my bag. i must look honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1