Bringing snacks

Re medications, get a signed letter on letterhead from your doctor, listing your meds. I have done that for years and produced it at times instead of opening up the big plastic bag of 💊.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Those NZ dogs are very well trained and have good sense of smell. We had apples in my bag and ate them at Melbourne airport before flying to NZ. When we arrived in Auckland a dog came up to me 3 times. I was very confused until the border force person asked me what I had carried in the bag during the last few days. When I mentioned the apples she rewarded the dog, but did not even search my bag. i must look honest. 

This is amazing! Very informative and helpful. Thanks!

14 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Though there isn't a spot to declare many foodstuffs. Unless what a passenger is bringing in fits into one of the categories the answer will be 'No'. 

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 3.30.06 pm.png

Thank you for posting the form. Packaged dried coffee is not on the list and doesn't fit into one of the categories; then, I guess it is okay.

48 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you for posting the form. Packaged dried coffee is not on the list and doesn't fit into one of the categories; then, I guess it is okay.

You mentioned that your preferred coffee product is a mix (coffee/creamer/ sugar) - the creamer is probably milk (dairy) based, so if you do bring it, declare it (tick yes to number 6) just to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wombat706 said:

You mentioned that your preferred coffee product is a mix (coffee/creamer/ sugar) - the creamer is probably milk (dairy) based, so if you do bring it, declare it (tick yes to number 6) just to be on the safe side.

I agree with the comment, but I am pretty sure your coffee/creamer mix would be OK. Chocolate could also be considered a milk product - it is quite OK.

1 hour ago, Wombat706 said:

Oh, didn't think of that.  Thank you for pointing it out.  That is okay, to save the hassle, I will not bring my coffee.  I will try the Jarrah coffee.  If I like it, before going to the cruise terminal the next morning, I will go back to the supermarket and buy more to bring back to the U.S. 

14 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Those NZ dogs are very well trained and have good sense of smell. We had apples in my bag and ate them at Melbourne airport before flying to NZ. When we arrived in Auckland a dog came up to me 3 times. I was very confused until the border force person asked me what I had carried in the bag during the last few days. When I mentioned the apples she rewarded the dog, but did not even search my bag. i must look honest. 

While cruising, a friend used to vigorously polish his apple each morning on his wife's hip. It took a few days of the quarantine beagle singling her out until the penny dropped.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Oh, didn't think of that.  Thank you for pointing it out.  That is okay, to save the hassle, I will not bring my coffee.  I will try the Jarrah coffee.  If I like it, before going to the cruise terminal the next morning, I will go back to the supermarket and buy more to bring back to the U.S. 

The Jarrah coffee comes in a few varieties (eg French Vanilla Latte, Brazilian Cafe Latte, Salted Caramel Latte and Swiss Cafe Mocha) but probably not all will be available in 1 store.  Nescafe and Moccona also do sachets of premixed coffee varieties (also, Coles and Woolworths have their own brand of sachets).

Also, I have heard that some people use coffee to mask the odour of more questionable substances 😮

Many foods are OK to bring into Australia, but the form is asking if you are bringing them in, not if you think they are ok - questions 6 and 7 would encompass almost all foods (coffee is a seed, chocolate may contain dairy, cakes and cookies probably contain multiple items).

As the form says, if unsure answer YES, you will be asked about the items and if they are ok, you are on your way with said item/s. If not ok, they will be confiscated and you are on your way. 

If you answer NO, and are then pulled aside (and there is every chance if you are carrying something not declared, you will be) you will go through a full bag search, the item/s confiscated and you will probably incur a fine.

The form is a legal document, our customs and quarantine rules are strict for very good reasons.

16 minutes ago, Wombat706 said:

The Jarrah coffee comes in a few varieties (eg French Vanilla Latte, Brazilian Cafe Latte, Salted Caramel Latte and Swiss Cafe Mocha) but probably not all will be available in 1 store.  Nescafe and Moccona also do sachets of premixed coffee varieties (also, Coles and Woolworths have their own brand of sachets).

Also, I have heard that some people use coffee to mask the odour of more questionable substances 😮

Many foods are OK to bring into Australia, but the form is asking if you are bringing them in, not if you think they are ok - questions 6 and 7 would encompass almost all foods (coffee is a seed, chocolate may contain dairy, cakes and cookies probably contain multiple items).

As the form says, if unsure answer YES, you will be asked about the items and if they are ok, you are on your way with said item/s. If not ok, they will be confiscated and you are on your way. 

If you answer NO, and are then pulled aside (and there is every chance if you are carrying something not declared, you will be) you will go through a full bag search, the item/s confiscated and you will probably incur a fine.

The form is a legal document, our customs and quarantine rules are strict for very good reasons.

Disclaimer I am not a big coffee drinker, but really like a couple of those Moccona ones I really like, the Vanilla Latte is probably my favourite.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Disclaimer I am not a big coffee drinker, but really like a couple of those Moccona ones I really like, the Vanilla Latte is probably my favourite.

That is what I take away with me, hot water and you have a decent brew.

6 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

No, that is incorrect. The ABF site notes specifically that some foods can be brought in without declaring them - chocolate and confectionery and (some) roasted coffee are included:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/goods-without-declaring

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

No, that is incorrect. The ABF site notes specifically that some foods can be brought in without declaring them - chocolate and confectionery and (some) roasted coffee are included:

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/goods-without-declaring

Thanks for that - I stand corrected 🙂

You can bring up to 10 kilograms of commercially prepared and packaged chocolate or confectionery into Australia (that's a lot of chocolate). 

However, the list of what food you do not have to declare is still limited to only a few things and I still advise that if you are unsure answer YES.

cheers

On 1/9/2023 at 11:47 AM, boeckli said:

Following on from boeckli's post, a page lower down in the above link shows details about individual types of food.  Commercially packed cookies are fine https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/list-of-items

Edited by lucymorgan
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

I always declare that I have food if I have anything consumable. I agree with you about the dairy mixture in the coffee sachets that were mentioned. I prefer to overdo the caution and tell them, when the customs officer asks, exactly what I do have rather than make an error.

Years ago I went to the US. Bought three tiny packets of chewing gum for my kids as a novelty. Didn't declare having 'food' because who thinks of chewy as food?? Case was searched and I got a loud lecture from the customs officer and was told I could have been fined. Lesson certainly learnt.

I also take photocopies of the prescriptions of the relevant medications I'm carrying and pack them in the suitcase with the meds.

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I always declare that I have food if I have anything consumable. I agree with you about the dairy mixture in the coffee sachets that were mentioned. I prefer to overdo the caution and tell them, when the customs officer asks, exactly what I do have rather than make an error.

Years ago I went to the US. Bought three tiny packets of chewing gum for my kids as a novelty. Didn't declare having 'food' because who thinks of chewy as food?? Case was searched and I got a loud lecture from the customs officer and was told I could have been fined. Lesson certainly learnt.

I also take photocopies of the prescriptions of the relevant medications I'm carrying and pack them in the suitcase with the meds.

I'm sorry but maybe I missed something on the thread.

Are you saying gum is a food item in the Australia declaration document?

I understand the basic concept of "if you can eat it, declare it" but I honestly would not know what line item to mark yes on the declaration form for gum (I chew Nicorette gum for too long now but that is a different story). Would I mark line item 6, 7, or 8 for that gum?

Thank you,

John

18 hours ago, Wombat706 said:

Thank you for all your information and warnings.  I read so many posts that stated the "declare" line can be very long, which is why I said I don't want the hassle.  So, it is better if I don't bring any food items, so nothing to declare.

Is there only 2 "types" of line, one for "Nothing to Declare", and one for "Items to Declare"?  For example, even if I only have a small bag of ginger candies (for motion sickness) or just one prescription medicine (Lipitor for cholesterol),  I need to mark "yes", then go to the "Items to Declare" line?

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

s there only 2 "types" of line, one for "Nothing to Declare", and one for "Items to Declare"?  For example, even if I only have a small bag of ginger candies (for motion sickness) or just one prescription medicine (Lipitor for cholesterol),  I need to mark "yes", then go to the "Items to Declare" line?

Sorry, I haven't flown back to Australia since before Covid.

But from memory, the initial 'declare' line moves pretty fast as it is just an officer/s asking 'what you are declaring' and they decide to either send you through the green channel and you just walk out or they send you for further inspection. Hopefully, someone else can clarify the current process.

• Like 1

That was my experience recently in Sydney., Everyone filtering past a few customs officers and being directed to the exit or to the checking stations. Some in the checking stations directed through very quickly with only hand luggage checked.

Sorry for asking so many questions, just want to make sure what I need to do so not to have problem through Custom or have all my luggage thorough inspected and all messed up.

1. The form in post#48 (Aussieflyer) I need to download it from some website or it will be given to me on the plane?

2.  If I marked "yes" to any of the questions, I need to go to the "declare" line?

3.  All the items I declared "yes", I need to take it out and put it in my carryon before getting to Custom?

I usually bring many different kind of OTC medicine (since I have a 27 days cruise).

4. If I have some OTC medicines (for allergy, upset stomach, headache, joint paint, etc.) and 2 prescription medicine , do I check "yes" on item #1?

5. If I bring one bag of ginger candy (each candy individual wrapped) and 1 bag of pre-mixed coffee (each small package individual packaged), do I check item #7?

Thank you!!

9 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I'm sorry but maybe I missed something on the thread.

Are you saying gum is a food item in the Australia declaration document?

I understand the basic concept of "if you can eat it, declare it" but I honestly would not know what line item to mark yes on the declaration form for gum (I chew Nicorette gum for too long now but that is a different story). Would I mark line item 6, 7, or 8 for that gum?

Thank you,

John

I agree with you. I do not consider gum a food item. It is not consumed. Following this suggestion, then all vitamin supplements would also be considered food. They are actually consumed whereas gum isn't. There is no way gum can be food.

13 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Sorry for asking so many questions, just want to make sure what I need to do so not to have problem through Custom or have all my luggage thorough inspected and all messed up.

1. The form in post#48 (Aussieflyer) I need to download it from some website or it will be given to me on the plane?

2.  If I marked "yes" to any of the questions, I need to go to the "declare" line?

3.  All the items I declared "yes", I need to take it out and put it in my carryon before getting to Custom?

I usually bring many different kind of OTC medicine (since I have a 27 days cruise).

4. If I have some OTC medicines (for allergy, upset stomach, headache, joint paint, etc.) and 2 prescription medicine , do I check "yes" on item #1?

5. If I bring one bag of ginger candy (each candy individual wrapped) and 1 bag of pre-mixed coffee (each small package individual packaged), do I check item #7?

Thank you!!

1. The incoming passenger card will be given to you on the plane.

2. If you mark 'yes' to the food or wooden articles line, the officer who checks you form will direct you to a Quarantine Officer. This is different from 'something to declare'. The Quarantine Officers will NOT search through your luggage unless they are suspicious.

3. It is better to have the item in your carry-on bag if you can, or at least, easily reachable in your check-in bag just in case they want to look at it. The items most likely to be checked are wooden items, checking for wood borers. The suggestion of having the items in your carry-on is simply to save you time in case they want to inspect something.

4. They will not be interested in OTC medicines or prescription medicines. The items covered in #1 are illegal drugs.

5. Ginger candy - bring as much as you like. The whitener in Pre-mixed coffee is probably non-dairy so you would not need to declare it. If you are unsure, then declare it. When you tell the officer they will just wave you through.

Most important - DON'T STRESS OVER THIS. There are only problems if people try to smuggle in salami or some Asian foods that might be carrying animal or plant diseases that are not present in Australia.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

1. The incoming passenger card will be given to you on the plane.

2. If you mark 'yes' to the food or wooden articles line, the officer who checks you form will direct you to a Quarantine Officer. This is different from 'something to declare'. The Quarantine Officers will NOT search through your luggage unless they are suspicious.

3. It is better to have the item in your carry-on bag if you can, or at least, easily reachable in your check-in bag just in case they want to look at it. The items most likely to be checked are wooden items, checking for wood borers. The suggestion of having the items in your carry-on is simply to save you time in case they want to inspect something.

4. They will not be interested in OTC medicines or prescription medicines. The items covered in #1 are illegal drugs.

5. Ginger candy - bring as much as you like. The whitener in Pre-mixed coffee is probably non-dairy so you would not need to declare it. If you are unsure, then declare it. When you tell the officer they will just wave you through.

Most important - DON'T STRESS OVER THIS. There are only problems if people try to smuggle in salami or some Asian foods that might be carrying animal or plant diseases that are not present in Australia.

Thank you so much for your explanations!!

In your explanations, you said items in #1 covered illegal drugs and not OTC medicines or prescription medicines.  If I am only bringing OTC and prescribed, do you still need to check #1?

12 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Thank you so much for your explanations!!

In your explanations, you said items in #1 covered illegal drugs and not OTC medicines or prescription medicines.  If I am only bringing OTC and prescribed, do you still need to check #1?

No. You do not. It is only illegal stuff that is of interest to the authorities. They don't care how much OTC and prescribed meds you bring in. It won't be what is regarded as commercial quantities anyway - just what you need plus some extra leeway in case your return home is delayed.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

No. You do not. It is only illegal stuff that is of interest to the authorities. They don't care how much OTC and prescribed meds you bring in. It won't be what is regarded as commercial quantities anyway - just what you need plus some extra leeway in case your return home is delayed.

Thank you.