Hotel before a cruise

bebe81

Hi all,

I looked everywhere but wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

Here's just a bit of my situation:

We were flying out of YYZ on Dec. 23  to MIA but our flight got delayed twice and I called the hotel twice to let them know what was happening. By 9:30 pm our flight got cancelled. As soon as we got out of the plane as we were told to do this. I called the hotel as soon as we could and they charged me one day because it was considered a no-show. At what circumstances/situations should I get a refund? I talk to head office of IHG group and they basically said too bad so sad we have to charge you one night. Should I book a hotel through the cruise line from now on? I didn't do it this time because it was $500 CAD a night. 

Some guidance and insight for our next cruise!

Thanks!

I would think only travel insurance would reimburse you.  Being it was Christmas season hotels are very expensive.  Usually you can only cancel with no penalty 24 hours in advance.

I think the other option is reading about the APPR (Air Passenger Protection) but not sure if they’d cover the hotel part, but it’s possible.  Did you get compensation from the cancelled flight?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

I would think only travel insurance would reimburse you.  Being it was Christmas season hotels are very expensive.  Usually you can only cancel with no penalty 24 hours in advance.

I think the other option is reading about the APPR (Air Passenger Protection) but not sure if they’d cover the hotel part, but it’s possible.  Did you get compensation from the cancelled flight?

No we didn't we were filed our claim with AC. We got a rebook flight the next day.  I just think under these circumstances, we should be allowed to be refunded. From now on, I will asking about their cancellation policy. 

Thank you!

Why should the hotel be on the hook for this? Their terms and conditions on refunds or cancellations are clear. This is one of the reasons for trip insurance- to reimburse you for money lost due to covered reasons. The only way you could likely get a reimbursement from the airline is if you booked your hotel through them and the airline cancelled the flight.

And there is no way I'd pay the exorbitant rates for a hotel booked thru the cruise line. Not sure the cruise line would cover you in this situation either. Again, that's what trip insurance is for.

• Like 3

see if your CC has any insurance that may cover the hotel

Most hotels will charge you if you do not cancel by 6pm  the day of arrival  sometimes it is 4 pm

it is usually noted in the booking

If you had trip ins try them if not lesson learned

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bebe81 said:

called the hotel as soon as we could and they charged me one day because it was considered a no-show. At what circumstances/situations should I get a refund? I talk to head office of IHG group and they basically said too bad so sad we have to charge you one night. Should I book a hotel through the cruise line from now on? I didn't do it this time because it was $500 CAD a night. 

Thanks!

Unless you are high status with IHG you won’t have any pull with regard to reimbursement.  You could try requesting a free night credit but you will need to bring your negotiation skills.  

Cruise line accommodations typically come with airport-to-hotel and hotel-to-cruiseport transfers.  In certain circumstances it could be a wash, and would be most beneficial if you are an inexperienced traveler.  You would need to review the terms and conditions of the cruise line’s hotel & transfer offer in order to determine their refund policy under similar circumstances. 

• Like 1

Most hotels these days require you to cancel 1 day before, some 2 days before, and some even more days before.  There had been many last minute cancellations before, and the hotels cannot hold rooms, especially during times of high demand.

Booking hotels through the cruiseline would get high rates, and you don't get loyalty points because it is booking through 3rd party, but for delayed/cancelled flights the cruiseline may be able get something back, or not.

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

see if your CC has any insurance that may cover the hotel

Most hotels will charge you if you do not cancel by 6pm  the day of arrival  sometimes it is 4 pm

it is usually noted in the booking

If you had trip ins try them if not lesson learned

I agree - do you have basic travel insurance through your CC for trip interruption? 

18 hours ago, bebe81 said:

Hi all,

I looked everywhere but wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

Here's just a bit of my situation:

We were flying out of YYZ on Dec. 23  to MIA but our flight got delayed twice and I called the hotel twice to let them know what was happening. By 9:30 pm our flight got cancelled. As soon as we got out of the plane as we were told to do this. I called the hotel as soon as we could and they charged me one day because it was considered a no-show. At what circumstances/situations should I get a refund? I talk to head office of IHG group and they basically said too bad so sad we have to charge you one night. Should I book a hotel through the cruise line from now on? I didn't do it this time because it was $500 CAD a night. 

Thanks!

If there’s any delay in flights ever caused by weather always contact your hotel directly and alert them before their no pay deadline. Most will extend it. You could call the hotel itself. Sometimes they can help. Another thing you can try is make a claim for the cost through your credit card company. Or trip interruption on your travel insurance. Or the airline itself. I gather you had to pay to sleep in Toronto. I’d definitely submit claim to the airline. It cost us 465.00 ovegnight at yyz when this happened to us last February and the storm wasn’t nearly as bad. We were compensated with 25% off flights. But at their posted rate. Crazy  🤣 

• Like 2

I would definitely check out your Trip Interruption insurance coverage as they should cover it for weather delays. We have the TD Infinite Visa card and they covered two hotels during the ice storm in Toronto in April 2018 or was it 2017. Anyway we were travelling to Honolulu, had to overnight in Halifax, missed our nonstop YYZ-HNL flight, then had to overnight in YVR. TD insurance was excellent as they covered my hotels due to the all the weather delays. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tango99 said:

If there’s any delay in flights ever caused by weather always contact your hotel directly and alert them before their no pay deadline. Most will extend it. You could call the hotel itself. Sometimes they can help. Another thing you can try is make a claim for the cost through your credit card company. Or trip interruption on your travel insurance. Or the airline itself. I gather you had to pay to sleep in Toronto. I’d definitely submit claim to the airline. It cost us 465.00 ovegnight at yyz when this happened to us last February and the storm wasn’t nearly as bad. We were compensated with 25% off flights. But at their posted rate. Crazy  🤣 

We didn't stay overnight in Toronto, we were one of those people that had to fight to get rebooked for the next day or a red eye to catch our boat. What was crazy about the whole situation was some people got rebooked right away once the flight was cancelled. I'm perplexed. Our flight was not cancelled due to weather and to be honest there was no reason why they just "explained" the tow truck wasn't big enough to get off the tarmac.  We were told twice it was a delay and twice I told the hotel directly it's delay and by the 3rd time AC decided to cancel the flight and with the unknown of getting a flight or not, I told the hotel we were not coming. 

But lesson learned and I'm ok with that. Trip cancellation insurance all the way!

@Tango99 that's crazy, I'm crying for you!! That's like resort price!!!

@Travelexpert35 that's good to know about TD since I'm with TD anyway!

@canadianbear no compensation whatsoever, it was a very chaotic night at YYZ.

Thank you all! I will definitely be doing buying trip ins. for the next trip!

Edited by bebe81

2 hours ago, wtrcruise said:

the airlines should be the ones to reimburse this not the hotel

Huh?  The airlines won't reimburse anything.  Whether you're flying home, booked a $40 roach motel, or booked a $50,000/night presidential suite, the airlines won't be on the hook for anything you booked at your destination.

13 hours ago, wtrcruise said:

the airlines should be the ones to reimburse this not the hotel

I think you are thinking about a case if they were flew them somewhere, then cancelled their connection and rescheduled to the next day. That is not the case here. 

You need to try and put AC on the hook for this. On their website go to "Customer Support" and then click on send us an email under "Customer Relations". Under "Flight Delays" file an expense claim and indicate that you expect compensation.

Last month our flight was delayed 6 hours and we missed the hotel shuttle cutoff. I submitted a claim for our $25 taxi to the hotel. They responded after 3 days that they wouldn't pay for the taxi but as a goodwill gesture they gave me a $100 flight voucher good for 3 years. Go figure.....

Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deepcman said:

You need to try and put AC on the hook for this. On their website go to "Customer Support" and then click on send us an email under "Customer Relations". Under "Flight Delays" file an expense claim and indicate that you expect compensation.

Last month our flight was delayed 6 hours and we missed the hotel shuttle cutoff. I submitted a claim for our $25 taxi to the hotel. They responded after 3 days that they wouldn't pay for the taxi but as a goodwill gesture they gave me a $100 flight voucher good for 3 years. Go figure.....

Let us know how you make out.

@deepcman Between them losing our luggage and my husband having an infection while on the cruise, we are filing claims after claims. I missed this one! Thanks!

Honestly, our primary concern was getting on the ship on time! All the other claims and forms were being filled out after our trip except the one at MIA about our luggage claim which I filled out! Thank so much for guiding me!