Why not Hawaii? The South Pacific?

The Doctor's Lady

25 minutes ago, The Doctor's Lady said:

Does anyone know why Celebrity doesn't cruise to Hawaii or the South Pacific? We're planning a trip there and having to consider other cruise lines against our will.

Why do you think they don't? If you do a search on their website it's right there. 

Celebrity does indeed to Hawaii and the South Pacific.  Most of the cruises are at then end of the Alaska Season for Trans-pacific West bound and again in April when the ships leave Australia for the Alaska season. 

I've booked a number of these cruises and have another booked for April 2024.  

If I'm not mistaken they have also had a couple trips to and from Hawaii.   The problem is the compliance with the Jones act that require a stop at a distant foreign port.    They use to slip in Ensanada with a drop stop but that practice was ended   They now often do it by sailing out of Vancouver.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

All those cruises are one way, I’m guessing the poster was looking for round trip. Many years ago they did round trips, we did it twice, once on the Infinity and one on the Mercury.

I did the same but that was when they were playing games with the Jones Act and would do a drop stop.   Drop anchor but not even let passengers off in Ensanada.  The government cracked down on it and it is now not a possibility.

I also had a cruise once, I believe Millennium that was San Diego to Honolulu but you checked in at San Diego and then they had to bus us to Ensanada -   What a mess took us over 10 hours mostly stuck at the boarder.

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

All those cruises are one way, I’m guessing the poster was looking for round trip. Many years ago they did round trips, we did it twice, once on the Infinity and one on the Mercury.

The OP also mentioned South Pacific and those cruises are certainly NOT round trips!

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did the same but that was when they were playing games with the Jones Act and would do a drop stop.   Drop anchor but not even let passengers off in Ensanada.  The government cracked down on it and it is now not a possibility.

I also had a cruise once, I believe Millennium that was San Diego to Honolulu but you checked in at San Diego and then they had to bus us to Ensanada -   What a mess took us over 10 hours mostly stuck at the boarder.

Celebrity did RTs from  San Diego to Hawaii for several years on the now long gone Century.  We did one in 2012.  The ship overnighted in Honolulu and if my memory is correct (and it may not be) also did an overnight in Lahaina.  Some folks actually did them B2B so San Diego back to San Diego and then did the route again.  To comply with the PVSA the ship did a four hour stop in Ensenada.  Passengers were allowed to leave the ship.

This route seemed popular and generally sold out.  In 2012 we booked about four months before the sailing and had very few choices regarding staterooms.  I've always wondered why they were removed from Celebrity deployments.  

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We did something like that when we took a repositioning cruise to Seattle to start the Alaska season. We flew into San Diego and got bussed to Ensenada, as the ship was coming from Hawaii and ending there. We were lucky, the ac and toilets worked. Some of the other buses had trouble with one or the other, or both. Of course, San Diego was our first port.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Never heard of that, thanks for sharing.  And I thought the Alaska ships going out of Seattle spending only 4 hours in Victoria (no other foreign ports) was bad

14 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

OT:   Finally found this site. (You've posted a chart like this on a few threads...) 

Question - Have you actually booked cruises with them??

Congrats on finding the site, it's a great searching tool especially if you want to see multiple cruise lines.  No, I don't use travel agents

• Thanks 1

I just today, cancelled the first cruise on the above site shown (but not booked with them).  We just booked the May 1, 2024 one, Honolulu to Vancouver with Celebrity.  Yes these are all one way cruises and maybe the OP is looking for a return.  Actually Celebrity had a return last year in April (Vancouver to Honolulu and back).  We were on the first leg.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Never heard of that, thanks for sharing.  And I thought the Alaska ships going out of Seattle spending only 4 hours in Victoria (no other foreign ports) was bad

It was years ago.  When I looked it was about 2011.  Basically they were pretending to make a stop at a distant foreign port.   Was common on the Hawaii  out of San Diego or the return.  

They replaced that with what was described above.   They dropped off passengers in San Diego and sailed empty to Ensanada where the bused new passengers joined the ship.   I was on the Millennium Oct 22, 2012 when they did this for the first time.    What a mess.   Our driver got lost in Ensanada and couldn't find the ship.   They finally had to send another bus to guide us to the port.

Edited by Jim_Iain

We are booked on two of the one-way cruises between Honolulu and Sydney this year.

In case the one-way nature is the issue for the OP,  there is a South Pacific cruise that is not a one-way, but a round trip out of Sydney, visiting New Caledonia, Fiji, Tonga, and Vanuatu on the 6th of April. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

It was years ago.  When I looked it was about 2011.  Basically they were pretending to make a stop at a distant foreign port.   Was common on the Hawaii  out of San Diego or the return.  

They replaced that with what was described above.   They dropped off passengers in San Diego and sailed empty to Ensanada where the bused new passengers joined the ship.   I was on the Millennium Oct 22, 2012 when they did this for the first time.    What a mess.   Our driver got lost in Ensanada and couldn't find the ship.   They finally had to send another bus to guide us to the port.

What was the pretend distant port?  The nearest one, if you want to go one way from California to Hawaii or back is Fanning Island, about a day and a half sail from Hawaii.  (And figures heavily in a fascinating book by Vincent Bugliosi.).

7 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

In 2012 we booked about four months before the sailing and had very few choices regarding staterooms.  I've always wondered why they were removed from Celebrity deployments

We were on a spring 2012 cruise on Century.

We joined the ship in Hawaii and it was advertised as finishing in San Diego.

However, we all had to get off in Ensenada and were bussed to San Diego, I think on about 32 coaches, some of which were impounded at the border, as they weren’t road worthy.

We had to get off the bus at Tijuana and walk through customs with hand luggage  and then reclaim our luggage which had been put on the pavement.

We were then taken to the airport for a flight to SanFrancisco, which was an internal flight. As we took off, we saw the ship below us in port.

it was obvious from comments on the ship when we were sent letters a few days before debarking, that many passengers didn’t know about these arrangements, even though they were US citizens. I spoke to our UK travel agent on our return, who knew nothing.

I also heard that the cruises were stopped, due to the size of the newer S class ships, so many ports would be tender ports. We did indeed over night in Maui.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dlh015 said:

OT:   Finally found this site. (You've posted a chart like this on a few threads...) 

I have booked many with them.  I found a great agent and stick with him.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dlh015 said:

The site shown is my go to for research. I want to say for 20 plus years. Never booked with them. I have a great TA that has helped us over the 20 plus years.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Doctor's Lady said:

Does anyone know why Celebrity doesn't cruise to Hawaii or the South Pacific? We're planning a trip there and having to consider other cruise lines against our will.

The Eclipse is there now, you can follow along on the roll calls - this whole season, Eclipse has been in Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific islands then on to Hawaii and eventually to Vancouver, mid-May - then, their Alaskan season begins.  This is the first season that this part of the world has re-opened to cruise travel - though they still have strict testing restrictions for back to back passengers, imposed by the local governments, which other itineraries have dropped.  

5 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

I have booked many with them.  I found a great agent and stick with him.  

I had an absolutely fabulous agent with a different agency who left because of COVID.  No bookings, no money.  Didn't blame her in the least.  Been there - I used to be a travel agent - 9/11 did me in - so I was very sympathetic.  They switched me to another agent who basically ignored me with a booking that I had with four other couples on a Viking two week river cruise.  Left them in a flash after that.

I had used the above agency on occasion when they had great group space rates.

I now found a great agent with them.  He returns my emails promptly.