Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

With the reduction of entrees in the OVC for dinner, people have been contacting X.  Some of the responses they have gotten back encourage them to go to the MDR and indicate they can go in shorts, etc.  Just not pool clothes.  Is there a dress code for the MDR in the evenings?

Edited by NMTraveller

Yes, there is a dress code, no shorts, ripped jeans or pool wear at dinner. If you want to wear shorts, go to the buffet. Signs are clearly posted regarding dress code and you will be turned away. 

Don't embarress yourself, dress appropriately.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Yes, there is a dress code, no shorts, ripped jeans or pool wear at dinner. If you want to wear shorts, go to the buffet. Signs are clearly posted regarding dress code and you will be turned away. 

Celebrity has been contacting people who are calling about the OCV reductions saying that they CAN wear shorts in the evenings in the MDR.  So therefore the reason for my post.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 8

On our Reflection cruise in November 2021, one of the ladies in my group did not know about the Celebrity dress code.  It was her first-ever cruise and her sister failed to let her know about dress codes and other details of cruising on Celebrity.  She didn't pack any pants or a skirt.  After speaking with the Matre' D, she was allowed to wear shorts in the MDR.  No one complained, but I can guarantee she will not make the same mistake again.  

Personally, I love to dress for Chic Evenings and casual smart for all of the restaurants!  BTW, if you don't want to dress for Chic Evenings, the dress code in all Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Celebrity has been contacting people who are calling about the OCV reductions saying that they CAN wear shorts in the evenings in the MDR.  So therefore the reason for my post.

There were guidelines last week on the Millie. Seriously, do shorts belong in a dining room at dinner? You are not at home. What would you wear to a nice restaurant?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

There were guidelines last week on the Millie. Seriously, do shorts belong in a dining room at dinner? You are not at home. What would you wear to a nice restaurant?

Not sure if this what it has always said but this is directly from Celebrity's website.  "Should feel comfortable' is not a requirement.  The only dress code is what it says after "Note" where it says t-shirts, swimsuits etc. are not allowed.  Even for Evening Chic it says "Should feel comfortable".  Nowhere at all does it say shorts are not permitted.  This has been confirmed by Celebrity employees telling people the same. So go to town and wear shorts and ignore the Dress Code Police that patrol this board!

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, drevil0208 said:

Not sure if this what it has always said but this is directly from Celebrity's website.  "Should feel comfortable' is not a requirement.  The only dress code is what it says after "Note" where it says t-shirts, swimsuits etc. are not allowed.  Even for Evening Chic it says "Should feel comfortable".  Nowhere at all does it say shorts are not permitted.  This has been confirmed by Celebrity employees telling people the same. So go to town and wear shorts and ignore the Dress Code Police that patrol this board!

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Under notes. AND you are guided to the daily program for correct attire.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just now, drevil0208 said:

Good call.  Totally missed that.  🤦‍♂️

I don't want you to be embarressed!

We were on Seabourn one time and had just gotten back from a shore excursion. We went to the bar for a cold drink. The bartender came our from behind the bar, which was quite a walk and quietly wispered to us that shorts were not allowed in the bar after 5:00 PM. Needless to say, we did not make that mistake again.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Under notes. AND you are guided to the daily program for correct attire.

Thank you, sometimes we do not 'read' the full text and only take away the points which support our goals and desires...

Guilty as written... LOL

bon voyage

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

What type of shorts are we talking about?

I assume proper Bermuda shorts would be fine.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I forsee the policy relaxing due to the reduction of the oceanview cafe' options. I will be on the Connie later this week and can report back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

What type of shorts are we talking about?

I assume proper Bermuda shorts would be fine.

No, not even on a Bermuda sailing...

I have witness a few men try and could not get past the M 'd... even with tie and jacket, as I thought about doing it as well...

bon appetit and bon voyage

30 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Seriously the nonsensical stuff out of one’s control to feign indignation about 🥱

35 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I'm honestly a little surprised that someone who lives in the Florida Keys would make that post!  No snark intended, but as a lifelong South Floridian, I am so used to vacationers dining at nearly all levels of  restaurants in very casual attire.  We tend to care about how we dress when go to dinner...but it's impossible to go to a nice restaurant without seeing some in shorts, team jerseys, ballcaps, even flip flops.  My impression is that the Keys are even more that way.

We have done Caribbean cruises with friends from up north, and they tend to have that "I'm on vacation, so I will wear what I want" mentality.

I've just gotten used to it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I'm honestly a little surprised that someone who lives in the Florida Keys would make that post!  No snark intended, but as a lifelong South Floridian, I am so used to vacationers dining at nearly all levels of  restaurants in very casual attire.  We tend to care about how we dress when go to dinner...but it's impossible to go to a nice restaurant without seeing some in shorts, team jerseys, ballcaps, even flip flops.  My impression is that the Keys are even more that way.

We have done Caribbean cruises with friends from up north, and they tend to have that "I'm on vacation, so I will wear what I want" mentality.

It is true, we do mostly live our lives in shorts, but we also been taught how to dress in certain circumstances. The sign says no shorts, so you respect that. I was not allowed on the heliport because I did not have closed toed shoes. Next time I will bring some.

We have tourists who will come to church in shorts. You would never see a local do that.

I would believe we are alike. We know what to wear and when we should wear it. THEY might not care, but I do. That is the way I was raised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Keys Kathy said:

It is true, we do mostly live our lives in shorts, but we also been taught how to dress in certain circumstances. The sign says no shorts, so you respect that. I was not allowed on the heliport because I did not have closed toed shoes. Next time I will bring some.

We have tourists who will come to church in shorts. You would never see a local do that.

I would believe we are alike. We know what to wear and when we should wear it. THEY might not care, but I do. That is the way I was raised.

18 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I have to tell an "I'm on vacation" story. It was the Apex ladies room and it was busy. A women came out off a stall, another went in and came right back out and pointed out that the first women had not flushed. Her comment was "I am on vacation" to which the second women replied "so am I, flush the d*** toilet! Everyone stared at her until she did. 

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, drevil0208 said:

Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours.

Maybe you didn't actually read what you posted - says right there, "shorts are not allowed in the evening hours"

And proof please, about what you're claiming about Celebrity responding to people's inquiries that the dress code has basically all gone down the tubes?  Cuz I can't believe it.

I think time will tell, I was prepared to wear a suit on my upcoming cruise..but if the story's are correct about the degradation of the Celebrity experience...What's the point of dressing up?? Again "If" the story's and reports are true...Why dress up for a "RC or Carnival"Experience!!

Just now, mpdog42 said:

I think time will tell, I was prepared to wear a suit on my upcoming cruise..but if the story's are correct about the degradation of the Celebrity experience...What's the point of dressing up?? Again "If" the story's and reports are true...Why dress up for a "RC or Carnival"Experience!!

DH wears slacks and a polo shirt most evenings. During formal night, he has his tux and I have my gown. In Dec, I think he was the only man in a tux.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Seriously the nonsensical stuff out of one’s control to feign indignation about 🥱

Am sorry you are upset about the post.  

Seems sad to spend so much energy on whether one can wear shorts to the MDR for dinner.  Cruising and thing things that made cruising special are rapidly going away.  

If all the long time cruisers that post (and lurk) here go away the Celebrity can save all that free laundry and have younger people who are happy with doing whatever they like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1