Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well I don't embarrass easily.

Having said that I am more concerned that I will overdress than underdress.  I would not want to be one of a few wearing a suit in the MDR on dress up night amongst a group wearing shorts.

we can coordinate. i will get in line at 645 and you take the 730 shift 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, hcat said:

no shorts in mdr for dinner is still the code  ..not hard to follow.  

The OP posed the question because people who have spoken to Celebrity directly in recent days in regards to the reductions at OVC have been told (or at least one person has who reported back here) that when they mentioned dress code they were told shorts were okay to wear in the MDR but not pool wear, i.e. bathing suits. I'm assuming OP wanted to know if the policy onboard had thus been modified. Only passengers onboard right now could tell us that. I'm going to guess that it is too soon for an update to have been made to dress code language in the daily planners or wherever else it appears, but I'm also going to guess that based on all the hullabaloo these OVC changes have caused that hosts will also not be turning away guests in shorts going forward unless of course the OVC goes back to its non-reduced status. This appears to be an evolving policy.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

I stole this from another thread , this poster posted what I’ve always thought

When the bar was lowered for gala night dress requirements — possibly in response to post-cruise surveys and complaints from those who couldn’t enter the MDR without proper attire — the catalyst for cause and effect was initiated.  If you can’t be bothered to dress special, we can’t be bothered to serve special.  Personally, I prefer that the F&B budget be spent on quality beef and lamb — because I am not a lobster person — but if the passenger is going to insist on lowering standards then the cruise line will oblige.  

I didn't realize that the lack of a jacket and tie to eat a meal automatically means the company needs to give lesser service, especially when they are not lowering prices commensurately (and are actually in fact increasing them). Just because customers aren't stuffed into ridiculous monkey suits and gaudy gowns doesn't mean they are heathens who will pick their teeth at the table, belch loudly or ignite food fights.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, drevil0208 said:

Not sure if this what it has always said but this is directly from Celebrity's website.  "Should feel comfortable' is not a requirement.  The only dress code is what it says after "Note" where it says t-shirts, swimsuits etc. are not allowed.  Even for Evening Chic it says "Should feel comfortable".  Nowhere at all does it say shorts are not permitted.  This has been confirmed by Celebrity employees telling people the same. So go to town and wear shorts and ignore the Dress Code Police that patrol this board!

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. 

What you quoted says very clearly that shorts are not allowed in the evening 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

The OP posed the question because people who have spoken to Celebrity directly in recent days in regards to the reductions at OVC have been told (or at least one person has who reported back here) that when they mentioned dress code they were told shorts were okay to wear in the MDR but not pool wear, i.e. bathing suits. I'm assuming OP wanted to know if the policy onboard had thus been modified. Only passengers onboard right now could tell us that. I'm going to guess that it is too soon for an update to have been made to dress code language in the daily planners or wherever else it appears, but I'm also going to guess that based on all the hullabaloo these OVC changes have caused that hosts will also not be turning away guests in shorts going forward unless of course the OVC goes back to its non-reduced status. This appears to be an evolving policy.

I agree with your thoughts here.  And I agree with others too that if Celebrity has made changes (dress code allows shorts in MDR, reduced buffet offerings) as of Jan 1, then they simply need to communicate this broadly.  Before people pack and board the ship.  Not too much to ask really.   We are going out next week and we will communicate back here for Equinox.  

As for me, I always bring long pants for dining.  Nobody wants to see my ugly legs while they eat!😁

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

There were guidelines last week on the Millie. Seriously, do shorts belong in a dining room at dinner? You are not at home. What would you wear to a nice restaurant?

I've been to James Beard nominated restaurants where the bill for 2 people was north of 300. I would assume that fits the "nice restaurant" category. I wore shorts and a black t-shirt. This dress code thing is passé. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I agree with your thoughts here.  And I agree with others too that if Celebrity has made changes (dress code allows shorts in MDR, reduced buffet offerings) as of Jan 1, then they simply need to communicate this broadly.  Before people pack and board the ship.  Not too much to ask really.   We are going out next week and we will communicate back here for Equinox.  

As for me, I always bring long pants for dining.  Nobody wants to see my ugly legs while they eat!😁

We were on the Millie on Jan 3rd. There was still a dress code in the MDR. The sign was still there. Men need to put on their big boy pants and get over it. What woud your Grandmother say?

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Oh, for joy another endless thread on dress codes, sitting back with my popcorn to enjoy the show.🍿

I do love the dress code threads - much better than the latest pictures of the salami in the OVC!

• Haha 3

I honestly do not understand the issue here.  The OP has never posted any proof whatsoever, no documentation, of the supposed chatter about a relaxation in the dress code.  Without a doubt, shorts at night are "not permitted" as per Celebrity's site.  And I hope it stays that way.   

https://www.celebritycruises.com/blog/what-to-wear-on-a-cruise

Celebrity Cruises’ dress code for smart casual is fairly flexible, though there are some restrictions. T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps, and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurants at any time. In addition, shorts and flip-flops are not permitted during the evening hours.

14 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

I honestly do not understand the issue here.  The OP has never posted any proof whatsoever, no documentation, of the supposed chatter about a relaxation in the dress code.  Without a doubt, shorts at night are "not permitted" as per Celebrity's site.  And I hope it stays that way.   

I agree that there is no proof. Yet.....What someone says on the phone is not proof. I do believe that it may be relaxed or enfocement of no shorts ignored. So I await actual onboard reports. I don't care if shorts are permitted or not. Been on cruise lines where it is permitted and has had neither a negative or positive effect on me. It was what it was. It is silly to be bothered by people wearing shorts in the MDR. I have been at tables where someone was wearing shorts and I did not even notice until they stood up at the end of dinner.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 6

23 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Even HAL allows shorts in the mdr (although the policy states pants).

"Allows" is a loaded word.  Is saying that "shorts are allowed" the same thing as saying "wearing pants is not (always) enforced"?  To me, there is a difference.

Just because HAL does not stop someone from wearing shorts, does that necessarily mean it is "allowed"? Or just that whoever was fronting the entrance didn't want the hassle of saying no?

At any rate, I will never understand all of the angst around this issue. Why do people have such a hard time just following the guidelines that clearly say shorts are not "allowed" in the MDR in the evenings? I just can't wrap my head around the idea that some travel without pants -- really?? -- and that their cruise would be completely ruined if they had to make the choice between wearing a pair of pants for a couple of hours to eat in the MDR or not wearing pants and compromising for what's available at the buffet. It would be a different matter if the buffet was fully closed, as was initially (and somewhat hysterically) reported.

There is a choice -- very few of us get 100% of what we want, 100% of the time. Even on vacation....  

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

@cruisemom42 that’s fair. Allow is not the best word. Tolerates? In the very least we can agree that HAL does not enforce their no shorts policy consistently.  

I don’t understand how you are drawing the conclusion that someone’s cruise would be “completely ruined”wearing pants. I haven’t read that on any of these threads. What I have read is that people appreciate a choice and when given a choice it appears many choose more relaxed attire in a more relaxed setting. People may choose not to sail celebrity again, but that is entirely different than a “ruined” cruise. 

You may not be able to “wrap Your head around”

someone not packing pants but here is personal testimony. Before I left for this cruise, I packed DH for our three month trip to Maui.  I only have 2 days between debarkation and aloha so i needed to pack us both. I did not pack him a single pair of pants. Didn’t pack any for myself either. Three months where we will dine in establishments that make the MDR akin to an Applebees, none requiring pants. It happens.

If we were sailing on celebrity I would have packed only one pair knowing that we had the option of a fresh, hot, made to order healthy meal from the buffet most nights. It appears that option has been removed. If the current menu for OVC is as limited as initially reported the lack of fresh, hot, made to order, healthy choices will drive us to the MDR every night. It wouldn’t “ruin the cruise”, but DH will insist I select cruise lines that do offer choice for future adventure. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

I read this thread (and others like it) and continue to be amazed at how so many seem to feel what others wear impacts their own dinner experience.  We I dine out, I care about the person/people sitting across from me at my table, and the quality of the food and service.

I can't think of a time I  can specifically say "I like that restaurant; the food and service were impeccable, but if only that guy 4 tables away dressed nice it would have been a great night."

I also find it hard to believe that people who pay the money to go on a Celebrity cruise depend upon the dress of others in the room to make them feel like they are getting their money's worth.

I am not sure what I am missing here.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

@cruisemom42 that’s fair. Allow is not the best word. Tolerates? In the very least we can agree that HAL does not enforce their no shorts policy consistently.  

I don’t understand how you are drawing the conclusion that someone’s cruise would be “completely ruined”wearing pants. I haven’t read that on any of these threads. What I have read is that people appreciate a choice and when given a choice it appears many choose more relaxed attire in a more relaxed setting. People may choose not to sail celebrity again, but that is entirely different than a “ruined” cruise. 

You may not be able to “wrap Your head around”

someone not packing pants but here is personal testimony. Before I left for this cruise, I packed DH for our three month trip to Maui.  I only have 2 days between debarkation and aloha so i needed to pack us both. I did not pack him a single pair of pants. Didn’t pack any for myself either. Three months where we will dine in establishments that make the MDR akin to an Applebees, none requiring pants. It happens.

If we were sailing on celebrity I would have packed only one pair knowing that we had the option of a fresh, hot, made to order healthy meal from the buffet most nights. It appears that option has been removed. If the current menu for OVC is as limited as initially reported the lack of fresh, hot, made to order, healthy choices will drive us to the MDR every night. It wouldn’t “ruin the cruise”, but DH will insist I select cruise lines that do offer choice for future adventure. 

I'll take your word for it; just seems really outside my own realm of experience. I wouldn't want to wear shorts on a plane. Or risk being somewhere where there is unseasonably cool weather (whether that is an artificial indoor climate or outside), and so on. 

But even if so, surely not more than a small minority do this? What of all those who travel to cruises from cold climates?  What about cruises that are not tropical/subtropical in nature?

In a sense, I do wish Celebrity would conduct a real, scientific poll --- not one where promoters of either extreme are more heavily weighted.

9 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I read this thread (and others like it) and continue to be amazed at how so many seem to feel what others wear impacts their own dinner experience.  We I dine out, I care about the person/people sitting across from me at my table, and the quality of the food and service.

I can't think of a time I  can specifically say "I like that restaurant; the food and service were impeccable, but if only that guy 4 tables away dressed nice it would have been a great night."

I also find it hard to believe that people who pay the money to go on a Celebrity cruise depend upon the dress of others in the room to make them feel like they are getting their money's worth.

For starters, some of us dine with other people "across the table" that we don't know.  As a party of one, I often arrive at the MDR and ask to share. I have no way of knowing who that person across the table will be.

Also, I think most would agree that something appealing to the eyes is a good thing. Have you heard the expression "We dine first with our eyes"?  Isn't a beautifully plated and presented meal served on fine china more appealing than a sloppy pile of food on a paper plate? 

Yet somehow we are not allowed to apply this to the appearance of others without being called some kind of snob or crotchety old person that's out of touch.

I'm not afraid to "own" that seeing men's hairy legs and toes kind of grosses me out. If that makes me odd, then so be it. I also don't need to see your armpit hair or any nose tufts.

But truthfully my bigger issue is why everyone has to push the envelope. Graciously acceding to the wishes and policies of others is basically what "good manners" is all about, and "good manners" is what allows 3,000 people to coexist on a (relatively) small space like a cruise ship. Don't be a chair hog = good manners.  Don't break into the queue = good manners. Following the guidelines set by the ship is a way to ensure we all know what to expect and what is expected of us.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I think what you may be missing is that others may have a different set of criteria for a good dining experience.  I agree that the people, food, and service are important but for me the environment is also important - is it quiet or noisy, well lit or romantic lighting, and yes, is it a formal or informal setting.  I don't think it is so much a matter of getting your money's worth but whether the experience meets the expectations.  Celebrity needs to clearly communicate what the dress code is and then enforce it.  If they want to get rid of the dress code fine, then we can all make our own decisions.

When entering a Celebrity's MDR, the atmosphere is classic, elegant, and upscale. The staff is dressed to impress. As well as the food and service. Save your shorts for McDonalds. Better yet, READ the dress code for a cruise line before booking. Maybe Celebrity does not fit into your wardrobe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sun bum said:

When entering a Celebrity's MDR, the atmosphere is classic, elegant, and upscale. The staff is dressed to impress. As well as the food and service. Save your shorts for McDonalds. Better yet, READ the dress code for a cruise line before booking. Maybe Celebrity does not fit into your wardrobe.

Well said.

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For starters, some of us dine with other people "across the table" that we don't know.  As a party of one, I often arrive at the MDR and ask to share. I have no way of knowing who that person across the table will be.

Also, I think most would agree that something appealing to the eyes is a good thing. Have you heard the expression "We dine first with our eyes"?  Isn't a beautifully plated and presented meal served on fine china more appealing than a sloppy pile of food on a paper plate? 

Yet somehow we are not allowed to apply this to the appearance of others without being called some kind of snob or crotchety old person that's out of touch.

I'm not afraid to "own" that seeing men's hairy legs and toes kind of grosses me out. If that makes me odd, then so be it. I also don't need to see your armpit hair or any nose tufts.

But truthfully my bigger issue is why everyone has to push the envelope. Graciously acceding to the wishes and policies of others is basically what "good manners" is all about, and "good manners" is what allows 3,000 people to coexist on a (relatively) small space like a cruise ship. Don't be a chair hog = good manners.  Don't break into the queue = good manners. Following the guidelines set by the ship is a way to ensure we all know what to expect and what is expected of us.

I will venture to say that worrying about the appearance of other is highly judgmental.  Adding in hairy legs, armpit hair and nose tufts, talk about a stretch.  Some people like conformity, some like just plain good people not matter how they dress or what others think about, just ask Dolly Parton.

• Like 3