Puerto Plata

lfdemt

Why doesn't NCL just admit that they are not using the Taino Bay Dock with the larger class ships and be proactive in allowing their guests to research and book in alternate ports???  Taino bay port schedule has  NCL Escape, NCL Encore and NCL getaway on the schedule for the month of January.  The current sailing of the Escape wasn't able to go to Puerto Plata since Amber cove was full with carnival ships.  They subbed in Nassau.  Escape was on the Nassau dock schedule at least 3 days before the sailing took place and yet guests were not informed until they were already onboard.  Amber cove dock recently updated January to include escape, encore and getaway on any itinerary that there wasn't already two ships at the amber cove dock.  I have strong feelings that the scheduled docking at Taino Bay for the escape on the 30th is going to be either canceled or routed elsewhere like the current sailing, since there isn't room at Amber Cove.   Why doesn't NCL just make the change early and be done with it?  Stop selling the cruise as a Dominican Republic cruise.  There are more conflicts in February and March that stand a good chance of being changed.  Give the guests some time to plan for a different port if that's the plan.  Or is it being done this way to avoid people trying to change ships or dates.  Feels a bit like a bait and switch.  Come sail on this Dominican Republic cruise that we have zero intention of actually going to Dominican Republic. (and yes I know the contract says they can change ports at will, I feel like that is more acceptable when its unpredictable  due to weather or rough seas  and not something this predictable). 

• Like 5

I guess I didn't want to talk about amber cove and Taino bay so much as why NCL won't tell the guests of the change up front.  The other threads are about the docks themselves so I guess I thought this one was different but sorry to have bothered you. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

I guess I didn't want to talk about amber cove and Taino bay so much as why NCL won't tell the guests of the change up front.  The other threads are about the docks themselves so I guess I thought this one was different but sorry to have bothered you. 

Hey, I loved your post.  And I feel the same.  

• Like 6

It is interesting yes on why they are not informing pax. Too much work? Afraid of cancellations? Afraid people will not book their shorex at the substitute port but book something by themselves? I don’t know. 

But I know that although they have the legal right to do it, it sucks. What is legally right is not always morally right. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, lfdemt said:

But you are talking about Taino Bay and Amber Cove.

Mostly because changing a cruise ship port of call is a lot harder than deciding to pull into a different Motel 6 along the highway. Securing a dock is one of many step including clearing the stop with the local government, clearing the stop with the US government, local security, local agent to manage shore side, contracting with local vendors to provide shore excursions, hiring a local pilot, etc. etc. etc. It is not done until it is done. Until then, you are going to the DR or spending the day at sea. 

We called at Taino Bay after the Escape incident last year. It is still a viable port,,, just have to make a decision on whether the weather will permit docking (which is done closer to cruise time).

FWIW, I am scheduled to call at DR shortly,,, so I also have a vested interest. 

Edited by BirdTravels

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But you are talking about Taino Bay and Amber Cove.

Mostly because changing a cruise ship port of call is a lot harder than deciding to pull into a different Motel 6 along the highway. Securing a dock is one of many step including clearing the stop with the local government, clearing the stop with the US government, local security, local agent to manage shore side, contracting with local vendors to provide shore excursions, hiring a local pilot, etc. etc. etc. It is not done until it is done. Until then, you are going to the DR or spending the day at sea. 

We called at Taino Bay after the Escape incident last year. It is still a viable port,,, just have to make a decision on whether the weather will permit docking (which is done closer to cruise time).

FWIW, I am scheduled to call at DR shortly,,, so I also have a vested interest. 

You can say that all you want. But they don’t even try to dock at Taino bay. And while they might have used it right after the accident. They haven’t used it in a long time. I think as do a lot of people that they are not allowed to by their insurance company or by company policy.  So they switched every docking this month to Amber cove from Taino bay that they could. The dates that they can’t dock at amber cove they don’t even try at Taino. So why not just say that and tell the guests on the escapes January 28th sailing that they are not going to Puerto plata.  

• Like 4

I'm on the Getaway cruise that left on 1/8.  On December 20th they took away the Dominican Republic and replaced it with a sea day.  They also took away the morning in Antigua and that knocked out what I wanted to do that morning (there's an island that has tortoises but the boats to that island only run in the morning).   They claimed both changes were due to environmental reasons.  From December 20th until whenever they stopped selling our cruise in January, they continued to market the trip as visiting the DR and having a full day in Antigua.  They never told people booking after December 20th about the itinerary change.  

Someone mentioned trying to contact the media about this on our roll call:  

has 

It could be tough getting the media to cover this because technically NCL has the right to change the itinerary, but once they do that and continue to market a cruise as visiting somewhere they cancelled it raises questions about the company.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More evidence that it’s not the weather but something about the policy/politics. 

Wonder if the seas is at Taino Bay today.  So Royal has docked their mega ships there but NCL just won’t even try. 

• Like 1

We are cruising this Sunday on the Encore.  I love NCL and hope to say that when i return.

I hesitantly check my email every day for an itinerary change notice because I want to know. Yes, the terms and conditions, BLAH BLAH BLAH! We know they can do whatever they want due to the T&C. It doesn't change that NCL has changed and NCL IS canceling shows, ports, changing drink packages, etc. AND All  at our expense after we have paid for cruises that were sold to us with different shows, ports, drink packages, etc. I will fill out a comment card while onboard (if I remember). It is blatantly obvious that it is not weather. I have tried asking questions on here about a couple of changes since we were last on the Encore and you pretty much just get rude responses and ZERO help from the keyboard jockeys. 

We didn't book any excursions in DR or GSC because it is constantly changing. It is frustrating. I know I will have a great time no matter what is on board and no matter where we go. I was excited about the DR and now question if we will even be there and check the port calendar daily. It has changed but we are still on it so my fingers are crossed. 

Just know you aren't alone in your frustration. NCL's marketing has change to focus on gaining  new cruisers and away from retaining their customers and it shows. 

• Like 3

Do they never substitute Puerto Plata with GSC? Our Joy cruise stops at GSC on the sailing before, on our sailing we are (supposed) to stop in Puerto Plata. We have already had Grand Cayman cancelled and replaced with a sea day so do not want another!

While I hope they do not cancel DR on my cruise in 10 days I really hope that they don't make it a sea day.  I had been going with one of the two Western Caribbean itineraries instead of the Eastern because of the 4th stop.  I'd prefer to make the stop at DR because I have never been there and have been to San Juan a few times.

2 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

While I hope they do not cancel DR on my cruise in 10 days I really hope that they don't make it a sea day.  I had been going with one of the two Western Caribbean itineraries instead of the Eastern because of the 4th stop.  I'd prefer to make the stop at DR because I have never been there and have been to San Juan a few times.

NCL will use the Amber Cove dock at Puerto Plata if it is available If you are sailing on the Escape it is scheduled for Amber Cove on Jan 23rd so that sailing should be fine.  If you are on the Encore that is scheduled at Amber Cove on Jan 27th so again that should be good.    If you are supposed to be in Puerto Plata  on the Escape on Jan 30th you are not good, there is no room at Amber Cove and will most likely be a change to the itinerary. 

23 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

But I know that although they have the legal right to do it, it sucks. What is legally right is not always morally right. 

Does NCL do anything that is along the lines of moral or ethical? Not while Frankie boy's at the helm!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Do they never substitute Puerto Plata with GSC? Our Joy cruise stops at GSC on the sailing before, on our sailing we are (supposed) to stop in Puerto Plata. We have already had Grand Cayman cancelled and replaced with a sea day so do not want another!

Not knowing when you are sailing, I can't answer very surely.  But GSC and Puerto Plata are not close enough to make a swap unless there is a sea day next to it.  The escape itinerary starts with a sea day and then Puerto Plata, so they have time to switch that around and do Nassau (which is close enough to the home port to make in a night) and then the sea day to get to the next port in time.  

• Thanks 1

When we sailed on Prima recently we had a stop scheduled in Costa Maya. We never docked with the announcement early in the morning that the seas were too rough.

Anyway later that day I asked a bartender if the restaurants with specific sea day menus and availability would be open? Is today a port day or sea day now? He just looked over my shoulder and saw us moving at sea, "it's a sea day, sir."

13 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

Not knowing when you are sailing, I can't answer very surely.  But GSC and Puerto Plata are not close enough to make a swap unless there is a sea day next to it.  The escape itinerary starts with a sea day and then Puerto Plata, so they have time to switch that around and do Nassau (which is close enough to the home port to make in a night) and then the sea day to get to the next port in time.  

1st of May sailing. April 15th sailing stops in GSC. Ah I see thanks. I wish they would just remove PP entirely then and replace with something else.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:41 PM, lfdemt said:

Why doesn't NCL just make the change early and be done with it?  

That is a great question! "Feel free" to disregard the chatter from blind loyalists.

The reality of the situation is that if they announce changes prior to final payment, then the guest has an opportunity to cancel their cruise, which adversely impacts the financial health of the cruiseline. Better said, the cruiseline is only looking out for one person - hint....it isn't you, the customer. Especially NCL, which over and again, casually makes post-final-payment-date itinerary changes in the name of port congestion, green initiatives, etc. Ports of call are merely a suggestion on NCL.

Future bookings for us, if at all, will happen very last minute so we can mitigate some of the uncertainty surrounding the vacation product that NCL offers -

is this entree an upcharge?

is my cruise going to Puerto Plata or not?

does anyone know if we get water with the bev package?

is crown royal included in the drink package?

Is Syd's band playing this week?

Can you get a soup and salad instead of an appetizer with the new dining plan rules?

The fact that many families invest thousands of dollars in this vacation experience is not lost on us.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 3

On the 1/8 

3 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Unfortunately, on the 1/8 getaway sailing they not only cancelled the DR and replaced it with a sea day, but they took away the morning in Antigua and claimed both changes was for environmental reasons.  Unfortunately, the excursion we wanted to do in Antigua only runs in the morning, so for our family we lost 2 days.  So I don't know that NCL taking away one stop is going to keep them from taking anything else away.  On the 1/8 sailing, they cancelled the DR and Antigua's morning on 12/20 and kept advertising and selling the cruise as going to the DR and never told anyone (even people who called to book directly with NCL) about the itinerary changes.

This is a new one. Someone in our cruise group March 25th escape. Said they called and were told we would be docking at la romana. Which is on the other side of the island. Not sure the validity of that.