Coral Princess

You just do a dummy booking. But it's irrelevant if they are sold or not at this point in time. People cancel at the last minute - which is how we managed to get a really good cabin for the Round Australia cruise last October, a week before departure date.

I put in a lowish bid for a minisuite for our upcoming Grand cruise in March. All the minisuites are currently sold so we'll see what happens.

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You just do a dummy booking. But it's irrelevant if they are sold or not at this point in time. People cancel at the last minute - which is how we managed to get a really good cabin for the Round Australia cruise last October, a week before departure date.

I put in a lowish bid for a minisuite for our upcoming Grand cruise in March. All the minisuites are currently sold so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the info. I have been speaking to our TA. He recommends staying in the cabin we are in because it has a fully-covered balcony.

34 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for the info. I have been speaking to our TA. He recommends staying in the cabin we are in because it has a fully-covered balcony.

Depending on the itinerary that can be very important on Coral. Afternoon sun on an uncovered balcony makes for a very hot cabin and the air-con on Coral doesn't always cope with that.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Depending on the itinerary that can be very important on Coral. Afternoon sun on an uncovered balcony makes for a very hot cabin and the air-con on Coral doesn't always cope with that.

It is a cruise to NZ. We like a covered balcony.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is a cruise to NZ. We like a covered balcony.

And no worries about the rain either, nice to sit out on a covered balcony in the rain.   As for catching the sun you can always proceed up to the 'Melanoma Deck'  if you are a sun worshipper like myself.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

And no worries about the rain either, nice to sit out on a covered balcony in the rain.   As for catching the sun you can always proceed up to the 'Melanoma Deck'  if you are a sun worshipper like myself.

As long as the rain is vertical not slanting into the balcony, which has happened to us a few times. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

That is the downside to the auction process. You are bidding for a guarantee cabin, not a specific one. The same has always applied, but for complimentary upgrades of which not all were good.

True. I have heard you do get a chance to turn the offer down if it's somewhere you don't want to be. 

I carefully checked the deck plans before deciding to bid on a Grand minisuite. 😁

56 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

True. I have heard you do get a chance to turn the offer down if it's somewhere you don't want to be. 

I carefully checked the deck plans before deciding to bid on a Grand minisuite. 😁

I am not even sure they tell you a cabin number, just which bid was successful. At least those I have bid on for Majestic are all in pretty specific locations. Currently in a mini, and bidding for club class and a couple of the suites.

I am thinking of bidding for a premium balcony (up from a BD balcony). Can anyone tell me if premium balconies are categories B1 and B2 (sounds like Bananas in Pyjamas!)? Are the balconies covered? I probably should ask which decks have covered balconies.

Edited by Aus Traveller

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am thinking of bidding for a premium balcony (up from a BD balcony). Can anyone tell me if premium balconies are categories B1 and B2 (sounds like Bananas in Pyjamas!)? Are the balconies covered? I probably should ask which decks have covered balconies.

Yes, the Bananas in Pyjamas are premium balconies. Caribe deck, partly covered. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The ship is fully booked. I am in the process of putting in a fairly low bid. It is unlikely to be successful because it will depend on someone cancelling. Nothing to lose.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The ship is fully booked. I am in the process of putting in a fairly low bid. It is unlikely to be successful because it will depend on someone cancelling. Nothing to lose.

That's what I thought when I put my Grand minisuite bid in.

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I had one of those on Coral in Sept, C333.  Given the poor weather as you would know Julie, it was a good choice, albeit a little pricey, but I booked quite late.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But how do you determine what that is? Especially if others have the same idea.

Given time, there is sure to be a site devoted to logging successful bids.

As to outbidding, if $150 is considered a reasonable bid, bid a number like $156. No guarantees, but you will pip anyone bidding $150. The downside is that these are not silent auctions. If nobody else bids, you still pay your price, not the minimum price.