Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

On 1/16/2023 at 11:17 PM, MissP22 said:

My guess is that it's a convenient place to leave it otherwise where would they store it? Either on the table, on the floor or sit on it. 

Maybe they could leave it in the cabin. Why do you need to have a hat with you at night unless you're Bob Dylan or Charlie Chaplin (for example).

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Maybe they could leave it in the cabin. Why do you need to have a hat with you at night unless you're Bob Dylan or Charlie Chaplin (for example).

You're assuming that they're wearing a cap for sun protection.

Just maybe, they have a scalp condition that they're uncomfortable with and wish to cover it up. Which would rather see?

Different Scalp Conditions + Their Symptoms And Treatments – SkinKraftimage.jpeg.1732d22bea4141c0b35221a90e80b862.jpeg

36 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just maybe, they have a scalp condition that they're uncomfortable with and wish to cover it up. Which would rather see?

Different Scalp Conditions + Their Symptoms And Treatments – SkinKraftimage.jpeg.1732d22bea4141c0b35221a90e80b862.jpeg

I'm very understanding of people's medical conditions and so would have no problem with what you suggest - my adult daughter has been bald for most of this year (brain tumour).

I doubt very much medical is the reason for most of the dinner hat wearers though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I have a friend who is a bit self conscious about his baldness.

16 hours ago, MissP22 said:

After all these years I'm still looking for all those extreme under dressers that posters keep talking about, and have still yet to see one. 

The worst I've seen are people in casual clothing on formal nights and those dreaded shorts on casual evenings. 

Same here! Where are those barefoot, swimsuit clad, raggedy cutoffs clad, pajama clad diners? 

Edited by 1965
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

The dress code states very clearly that shorts and ball caps are not welcome in the dining room. That is not a suggestion. 

The so-called "dress code" is indeed only a suggestion. It is not a demand nor a requirement. The key word in what you are quoting as your argument is "SHOULD". It is not "MUST". Why do some of you have such a hard time understanding that simple, inarguable fact????

FYI: I follow the SUGGESTED dress code. Because I want to. Not because I have to. And I don't give a darn what anyone else wears. I am too confident a person to let what someone else wears ruin my dinner. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

In those early days of flying, only the rich could afford to fly. Only after the Boeing 707 jet plane was introduced in the mid 50s, with it's much lower operating costs, could the average passenger afford it. Until then, people did dress up to travel on planes. 

Here is a photo of a Boeing Stratocruiser 1951 for example. 

Interior passenger compartment of a Boeing Stratocruiser c.1951

Air Travel in Every Decade

Great pics.  Shows how much flying has changed.  Those wide aisles and comfortable seats are all part of a long past, bygone era.

The flip side of that with cruising, today’s cruise fares are less expensive (adjusted for inflation), with nicer cabins and amenities, with better entertainment than the first one I took on the SS Norway back in the ‘80s.  We (the then Mrs and I) had a ton of luggage because we had to pack gown(s) and a tux.  Dress shoes (as well as casual shoes), a suit for those “non-formal” evenings, endured cigarette smoke….EVERYWHERE, etc, etc.

Today’s cruise is a much better experience, all the way around.  Dress as you like.  See top notch entertainment, go do dinner without billows of smoke throughout the room, in a more comfortable cabin than our first one, dressed way more comfortably, etc.  And, I can bring everything I need in a roll aboard and a back pack when flying to the port.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I must have missed the whole “dress up to fly” trend.  I’ve flown over 2 million miles (and counting) and never experienced that.  But, flying is as common as catching a bus.  I would imagine in the 50s, maybe even the 60s, it was more of a unique way to travel, given what I’ve read about aviation travel in the “early” days.

As a kid, I prefectly remember picking outfits for flying. It wasn't necessarily luxury clothing, but it was thoughtful.

Im a comfort flying person too but lately its out of control. I mean people look like they just rolled out of bed and walked out the door. Brush your hair at least!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LMADAMS91 said:

In our entire cruising history, we have dined in the MDR almost exclusively. In that time, my dining experience nor that of my husband or family, has been impacted negatively/positively by what someone else is wearing. We usually stick to the suggested dress but the older I get and the more I cruise, the less I want to drag a bunch of extra clothes with me. My dress won't affect our experience and what someone else wears, as long as everything is covered appropriately, won't affect our experience. There are so many other things to focus on while on vacation; what the people sitting at the next table are wearing isn't one I want to waste time on. 

Me neither.  Never seen barefoot people in any of the dining venues (health code issues, as well as safety hazard if one were to injure themselves by cutting their tootsies).  I’ve never seen bathing suits in an MDR.  I’ve never seen T-Shirts, PJs, etc in the MDR, either.  I believe we’re lead to think this is somehow a chronic issue that must be dealt with immediately, while it’s really a non-issue.

Taken 20+ cruises on 5 different cruise lines.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It isn't any ones business why someone elects to wear at hat of any style in the MDR. That's between the staff member in charge and the person wearing the hat, if the staff member even cares. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 1965 said:

Same here! Where are those barefoot, swimsuit clad, raggedy cutoffs clad, pajama clad diners? 

On the Pacific several years ago there was a woman who walked up to the lobby bar for coffee drinks every day in bare feet and I was amazed no one stopped her. Recently there was a live from thread from a woman on a canal cruise who talked about sending her husband down to get coffee on his pajamas also she went on deck to witness the first locks in her pajamas and talked about going back to her cabin to shower and put clothes on

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Great pics.  Shows how much flying has changed.  Those wide aisles and comfortable seats are all part of a long past, bygone era.

The flip side of that with cruising, today’s cruise fares are less expensive (adjusted for inflation), with nicer cabins and amenities, with better entertainment than the first one I took on the SS Norway back in the ‘80s.  We (the then Mrs and I) had a ton of luggage because we had to pack gown(s) and a tux.  Dress shoes (as well as casual shoes), a suit for those “non-formal” evenings, endured cigarette smoke….EVERYWHERE, etc, etc.

Today’s cruise is a much better experience, all the way around.  Dress as you like.  See top notch entertainment, go do dinner without billows of smoke throughout the room, in a more comfortable cabin than our first one, dressed way more comfortably, etc.  And, I can bring everything I need in a roll aboard and a back pack when flying to the port.

Great post! ❤️ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

The so-called "dress code" is indeed only a suggestion. It is not a demand nor a requirement. The key word in what you are quoting as your argument is "SHOULD". It is not "MUST". Why do some of you have such a hard time understanding that simple, inarguable fact????

FYI: I follow the SUGGESTED dress code. Because I want to. Not because I have to. And I don't give a darn what anyone else wears. I am too confident a person to let what someone else wears ruin my dinner. 

The point is that many have been turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts. The poster’s brother-in-law would be wise to pack pants if eating in the dining room is important to him. No one can predict whether the dress code will or will not be enforced on any ship on a given night. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

No one can predict whether the dress code will or will not be enforced on any ship on a given night. 

What you don't have a Magic 8 Ball or a Crystal Ball that can provide an answer. 🤣 I have a  Magic 8 Ball that will be 53 years old this Christmas. 🎱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RE: Hats in MDR

Watch any old movie where pretty much all men wore hats. Now find even one where a man is wearing a hat while eating in a restaurant. I very much doubt you will even find one where a man is wearing a hat while eating anywhere - including private residences. Manners used to be important. It's sad that is apparently no longer the case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

The point is that many have been turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts. The poster’s brother-in-law would be wise to pack pants if eating in the dining room is important to him. No one can predict whether the dress code will or will not be enforced on any ship on a given night. 

Oh I agree that he should pack at least a pair of long pants, even if it's just jeans.

That being said, since the return from the Covid shutdown, there are more & more ships that now accept shorts as acceptable attire on casual evenings, even though it's not indicated in their write-ups. 

If the guy finds out that shorts are good to go, then he'll be a happy camper, if not he can always to to the buffet.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LMADAMS91 said:

In our entire cruising history, we have dined in the MDR almost exclusively. In that time, my dining experience nor that of my husband or family, has been impacted negatively/positively by what someone else is wearing. We usually stick to the suggested dress but the older I get and the more I cruise, the less I want to drag a bunch of extra clothes with me. My dress won't affect our experience and what someone else wears, as long as everything is covered appropriately, won't affect our experience. There are so many other things to focus on while on vacation; what the people sitting at the next table are wearing isn't one I want to waste time on. 

Please don’t dilute the conversation with realistic and accurate obcervstions!!😃

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

There you go again with yet another flawless display of logic!!

4 hours ago, memoak said:

On the Pacific several years ago there was a woman who walked up to the lobby bar for coffee drinks every day in bare feet and I was amazed no one stopped her. Recently there was a live from thread from a woman on a canal cruise who talked about sending her husband down to get coffee on his pajamas also she went on deck to witness the first locks in her pajamas and talked about going back to her cabin to shower and put clothes on

Is there more to your story? It just kinda quits. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, CeCe_ said:

From what we see, most people dine in MDR respect some level of "smart casual" attire on non-formal nights.  I doubt jeans are even allowed in MDR with the exception on the embarkation nights.  

Though we don't wear them We've seen plenty of jeans. I'll admit that I've not seen shorts at night. We cruise in Club Class, so I can't say about the other DR's.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:05 PM, Potstech said:

Nice jeans are acceptable in the MDR as long as they are not torn.

We've seen nice "pressed" jeans with a white shirt(dressy) along with a tie & vest on formal nights.It looked fine to us.