Best places to view Panama Canal passage?..

mmsoko

On the Coral years ago going through the Canal, we viewed from front of ship.  Can’t remember which deck but seems we had to pass though some “crew only” doors.

Is there a similar viewing area on the Caribbean?  

Where else would you suggest for viewing?

tyia

35 minutes ago, Parrottdizes said:

Go to the promenade (deck 7, outside ) walk to the front of the ship....there will be some stairs, go up them to deck 8.......and continue to the bow ( front ) of the ship. The image below is taken from that area.

Panama Canal Caribbean Princess  5 9 2022  IMG_6538 lum.jpg

Sorry, but that image could not have been taken from deck 8 bow, as that location is below that mast.  You were probably on the observation area above the bridge.  I will try to post a pic of the bow…

C2A259E0-47D5-40C5-8D88-E3D18A1CF5A6.jpeg

• Like 3

My suggestion is be at the bow when you go under the Bridge of the Americas and when you enter the locks. As you traverse the locks walk about the ship.  Go to the back, front up high and low to get all perspectives.  Go to the lowest outside deck to touch the side of the lock!

• Like 2

There is also a web cam at the lock ( I am speaking about the old lock but the new lock probably has one also) you can inform your family and friends when you will be going through and they can watch you.  Some people on your ship held up signs for their friends and families at home. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

There is also a web cam at the lock ( I am speaking about the old lock but the new lock probably has one also) you can inform your family and friends when you will be going through and they can watch you.  Some people on your ship held up signs for their friends and families at home. 

First, Caribbean will transit the new locks, so there will not be any touching the side of the lock.  The picture I posted above is a capture of the webcam at Agua Clara locks.  The cams can be found here:

https://multimedia.panama-canal.com/

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Sorry, but that image could not have been taken from deck 8 bow, as that location is below that mast.  You were probably on the observation area above the bridge.  I will try to post a pic of the bow…

C2A259E0-47D5-40C5-8D88-E3D18A1CF5A6.jpeg

You are correct, the image is from the observation deck above the bridge. Thanks for the correction.

This image is from deck 8. 

Panama Canal Caribbean Princess 5 9 2022  IMG_6508 lum.jpg

1 hour ago, Parrottdizes said:

You are correct, the image is from the observation deck above the bridge. Thanks for the correction.

This image is from deck 8. 

Panama Canal Caribbean Princess 5 9 2022  IMG_6508 lum.jpg

What deck leads to the observation deck above bridge?

We were on the Emerald back in December, went up to the Riviera deck (deck17) at the end of the corridor is a door that leads out to the observation deck over the bridge. Assume since the Caribbean is a sister ship it is the same. Also, you could walk to the forward end of the Pomade deck, climb the stairs to deck 8 and watch from there. We watched going through the first lock from deck 17, the middle lock from the Pomade deck near the middle of the ship and the third lock from the aft on the Pomade deck. Get three different perspectives that way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Friscoonetwo said:

We were on the Emerald back in December, went up to the Riviera deck (deck17) at the end of the corridor is a door that leads out to the observation deck over the bridge. Assume since the Caribbean is a sister ship it is the same. Also, you could walk to the forward end of the Pomade deck, climb the stairs to deck 8 and watch from there. We watched going through the first lock from deck 17, the middle lock from the Pomade deck near the middle of the ship and the third lock from the aft on the Pomade deck. Get three different perspectives that way.

Riviera is Deck 14 on the Emerald Princess.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:49 AM, mmsoko said:

On the Coral years ago going through the Canal, we viewed from front of ship.  Can’t remember which deck but seems we had to pass though some “crew only” doors.

Is there a similar viewing area on the Caribbean?  

Where else would you suggest for viewing?

tyia

My viewing suggestions: I have Not done the panama canal on the Caribbean princess, but the island princess. My suggestion is to view the locks and the bridges from your balcony if you have one,any open deck ,front of the ship ,back of the ship ,sides of the ship &  multiple points throughout the day.

• 1 year later...

We are on the Emerald Princess now and will be sailing through the Panama Canal later in the week. I want to go out on the observation deck above the bridge but I want to know what time they open the doors to allow access to this area?

27 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

We are on the Emerald Princess now and will be sailing through the Panama Canal later in the week. I want to go out on the observation deck above the bridge but I want to know what time they open the doors to allow access to this area?

Early, I went up just after 6AM and the chairs were already half full when we did it on Emerald at Christmas time

Edited by mrell345
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

Looking at full transit on Island Princess - any recommendations regarding port or starboard balcony? (or any other recommendations in general?)  TIA

There are 2 locks side by side.  You have a 50-50 chance on being on the correct side.  I was fortunate and luck was on my side.

Coral Princess

South to North transit

Coral took the left locks.  I was on the "correct" side.

I could see the small boat hook up the freighter in the lock next to us.  I could watch everything that I could not see from my balcony.

Then I moved about the entire ship hitting every open observation deck.  DO NOT stay on your balcony during the full transit.  I did that once...rookie mistake.

I have, somewhere, an awesome photo of being eye to eye with one of the workers in that hidden crew only area when the lock "sank".

42 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There are 2 locks side by side.  You have a 50-50 chance on being on the correct side.  I was fortunate and luck was on my side.

Coral Princess

South to North transit

Coral took the left locks.  I was on the "correct" side.

I could see the small boat hook up the freighter in the lock next to us.  I could watch everything that I could not see from my balcony.

Then I moved about the entire ship hitting every open observation deck.  DO NOT stay on your balcony during the full transit.  I did that once...rookie mistake.

I have, somewhere, an awesome photo of being eye to eye with one of the workers in that hidden crew only area when the lock "sank".

Very cool. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated! 

There is (was?) a restaurant by the locks that we dined at on a land vacation about 10 years ago or so.  We watched the locks move and water go up and down and watched vessels pass.   I am super excited about passing through on the ship.  I haven’t seen anyone who has done it have any regret. 

• Like 1