Strange Bar Closings on Equinox Today in Grand Cayman

helen haywood

2 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Update - so I did get a response from an Executive Representative.  They said it was a government regulation and can not speak to what is happening on other ships.  The rep agreed that it was strange that one and only one bar would be allowed to open.  She also stated that these regulations come from the island sometimes last minute etc.  

Basically I know no more than what we have speculated.  I have to quit wasting my time trying to be informed if I want to avoid GC or Celebrity.

You fought the good fight. Thanks for your efforts on everyone's behalf.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

Update - so I did get a response from an Executive Representative.  They said it was a government regulation and can not speak to what is happening on other ships.  The rep agreed that it was strange that one and only one bar would be allowed to open.  She also stated that these regulations come from the island sometimes last minute etc.  

Basically I know no more than what we have speculated.  I have to quit wasting my time trying to be informed if I want to avoid GC or Celebrity.

Thanks for your time and effort. Something about this situation stinks like a dead fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The Food and Bev manager on Equinox last week (we stopped in GC) told me it was a directive from the government of the Cayman Islands.  I have no reason to mistrust this information.

interesting it seems too be directed at 1 celebrity ship ? nothing like this on boards for other cruise lines or other celebrity ships for that matter..... if in fact it is GC , see them later, the place has forgotten about the income cruise ships bring to their island.

9 minutes ago, jwlane said:

You need to reread this thread.

I understand there was one post about a Costa ship and a couple of other X ships however on FB this last week, the Apex had more than one bar open as did Princess ships.  So if you are implying that it isn't just one ship that does seem to be the case if they are still restricted on the Equinox.

19 minutes ago, horseymike said:

interesting it seems too be directed at 1 celebrity ship ? nothing like this on boards for other cruise lines or other celebrity ships for that matter..... if in fact it is GC , see them later, the place has forgotten about the income cruise ships bring to their island.

No several ships have reported this for Cayman Islands.

I am in GC today. Well, actually on Reflection. Came back onboard with three hours to spare, not because I did not want to have another drink after lunch, I would have been open to it, but because Georgetown simply has nothing going on in that area. There’s an unappealing Sharkeez (chain) and that’s practically the only bar option near the cruise port. A few restaurants far more suited to getting a bite than a drink. There is a microbrewery on the outskirts but it’s not particularly convenient to the port and we were able to sample most of their (good, but not special) offerings at lunch anyway. 

if people aren’t spending their time and money in GC, it’s because this port is so lame once you’ve done the basics like Stingray City; GC should look in the mirror first. They badly need more and better options for people who would like to have a beer or cocktail, or two. 

Also, can confirm only one bar is open on the ship here.

Edited by Shep_Proudfoot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, horseymike said:

Thanks for your time and effort. Something about this situation stinks like a dead fish.

My interpretation is ( based on nothing other than posts here) is that GC government introduced a charge, then Celebrity management made a commercial decision to open only one bar to reduce the costs the charge would impose on them.  Only they know the implications financially had they opened more. I am sure had we been visiting GC at the present time we wouldn’t be bothered with only one bar open, just our opinion. To me nothing stinks, unless I am missing something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C4HCG said:

My interpretation is ( based on nothing other than posts here) is that GC government introduced a charge, then Celebrity management made a commercial decision to open only one bar to reduce the costs the charge would impose on them.  Only they know the implications financially had they opened more. I am sure had we been visiting GC at the present time we wouldn’t be bothered with only one bar open, just our opinion. To me nothing stinks, unless I am missing something.

If you paid for a drink package $$$$$$ and had to wait in a long line at the only open bar on a ship that can accommodate 2800 passengers for a drink you may reconsider your position.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Were 1%, 10% of that 2800 in that "long line"?

That depends, but many people don’t get off the ship at any given port , some more so than others. Especially in a tender port.

Edited by horseymike

10 minutes ago, horseymike said:

That depends, but many people don’t get off the ship at any given port , some more so than others. Especially in a tender port.

I guess it also depends on how many people choose to drink at that time of day.  Did you actually experience long lines waiting to be served?

How many bars are normally open when the ship is in port?  Don't most of the bars not usually open until 4 or 5 on a port day?  

Just looking at my Constellation daily planners from my last cruises.  The pool bar and the sunset bar usually opened starting in the morning.  Sometimes (but not always) one other opened at 1.  But otherwise, they opened at 4 pm or later.  

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess it also depends on how many people choose to drink at that time of day.  Did you actually experience long lines waiting to be served?

We didn't experience any lines since we don't frequent bars during the day.  However, when we choose to stay on board and go to a specialty restaurant for lunch (Sushi on 5) we anticipate having a glass of wine with lunch. Even Michaels club was not offering any adult beverages, unless you were a beer drinker then the cooler was open to help yourself.  I was really tempted to go behind the bar and help myself to one of the open bottles of wine.  This was on Reflection over New Year's.

37 minutes ago, prmssk said:

How many bars are normally open when the ship is in port?  Don't most of the bars not usually open until 4 or 5 on a port day?  

On an S Class ship (I am the OP and I was reporting from Equinox) on a port day Cafe al Bacio would be able to serve alcohol, the Pool Bar, the Mast Bar, the Sunset Bar and the two bars in the Oceanview Cafe would all be open.  As would the Retreat Bar.

26 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We didn't experience any lines since we don't frequent bars during the day.  However, when we choose to stay on board and go to a specialty restaurant for lunch (Sushi on 5) we anticipate having a glass of wine with lunch. Even Michaels club was not offering any adult beverages, unless you were a beer drinker then the cooler was open to help yourself.  I was really tempted to go behind the bar and help myself to one of the open bottles of wine.  This was on Reflection over New Year's.

I can understand that for sure.   Since I can't drink Alcohol and Iain never drinks until evening cocktail time at 7:30PM I guess we won't be impacted.  

A couple years ago we had a similar situation in NYC.   Someone screwed up and didn't get the right license for an overnight in Manhattan.   At least they had a license for Beer and Wine that they could sell at 1 or two bars.    For the 2 days we were there even in Retreat and Bars  all liquor bottles were removed from the selves.   

As I recall I really didn't hear a lot of complaints.

According to the bartenders at the Retreat Pool bar, it is due to "custom regulations." But they said they would go to the pool bar for suite members and get their drinks. Will be interesting to see how it plays out and how many stay on board. Many got off today in Cozumel.

40 minutes ago, Mcgeneseo said:

According to the bartenders at the Retreat Pool bar, it is due to "custom regulations." But they said they would go to the pool bar for suite members and get their drinks. Will be interesting to see how it plays out and how many stay on board. Many got off today in Cozumel.

Great if you are in a suite.

2 hours ago, prmssk said:

Just looking at my Constellation daily planners from my last cruises.  The pool bar and the sunset bar usually opened starting in the morning.  Sometimes (but not always) one other opened at 1.  But otherwise, they opened at 4 pm or later.  

And what about Cafe Al Bacio and the one at the OV?