Flights by Celebrity - Recommended itinerary cutting it close?

Ducky_01

Anyone have experience using Flights by Celebrity? Booked direct with Celebrity for 07 May 2023 / Italy, Croatia, Greece departing Rome Civitavecchia to take advantage of a "£99 Flights to EU" offer. Would've preferred to use a TA, but she waited ages with Celebrity and neither could find this offer available. In the end, when I booked direct thru Celebrity and added flights, I was then able to qualify for this offer. Maybe a bug in the system? Only thing is: the flight itinerary didn't show airline details, there was only one option, and it has arrival at 1:35 to Rome (FCO), ship departs 5:00. My research says it takes 45min minimum to get to Civi port. And that's best-case through Rome traffic. Will we have enough time to get from FCO to port? If not, why did Flights by Celebrity suggest this itinerary? Equally worrisome is that I don't yet have flight confirmation, though Celebrity confirmed a PNR exists on their end. If this turns out to be an issue, will Flights by Celebrity help to rebook? I'm worried obviously about missing the departure, but thought peace of mind was the point of booking your flights directly with Celebrity in the first place. Tell me please if I'm over-worrying.

Edited by Ducky_01
Clarify itinerary. Big = bug

5 minutes ago, Ducky_01 said:

Anyone have experience using Flights by Celebrity? Booked direct with Celebrity for 07 May 2023 / Italy, Croatia, Greece departing Rome Civitavecchia to take advantage of a "£99 Flights to EU" offer. Would've used a preferred TA, but she waited ages with Celebrity and neither could find this offer available. In the end, when I booked direct and added flights, I was able to qualify for this offer. Maybe a big in the system? Only thing is: the flight itinerary didn't show airline details, there was only one option, and it has arrival at 1:35 to Rome (FCO), ship departs 5:00. My research says it takes 45min minimum to get to Civi port. And that's best-case through Rome traffic. Will we have enough time to get from FCO to port? If not, why did Flights by Celebrity suggest this itinerary? Equally worrisome is that I don't yet have flight confirmation, though Celebrity confirmed a PNR exists on their end. If this turns out to be an issue, will Flights by Celebrity help to rebook? I'm worried obviously about missing the departure, but thought peace of mind was the point of booking your flights directly with Celebrity in the first place. Tell me please if I'm over-worrying.

Even though it is mostly highway driving, not going through Rome proper, still way to close for comfort to me.  Account for possible flight delay, getting luggage etc.  I might chance an early A.M. arrival but I'm far more comfortable being there one day early.  Good luck with this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way too tight for my tastes, too.  I don't know if this is possible, but I would call Flights by Celebrity to see if they can put you on a different, earlier flight, and if so, how much extra that would cost.  If the flight arrives on time, and you have no trouble retrieving your luggage, and no trouble getting a taxi or car service, great.  Maybe you get to the port by 3:00 pm.  But if there is any hold up on arrival time, getting luggage, or getting a taxi, you could be in trouble.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1

As other suggested way to tight.    Celebrity in most port have a all aboard time of 1-2 hours prior to the scheduled sailing time.   This is often mandated by the country's requirement when the final manifest must be filed.

I know that even on B2B's we have a all aboard time about 90 minutes prior to sailing.

We used a similar promo some years ago, and it was the first time we had ever arrived and departed on the day of a cruise.Everything went very smoothly.

I have checked my old files and the plane arrived at FCO around 13-15.

Celebrity staff were waiting they directed us to leave our cases and the coaches 

were waiting out side the airport. We were on board by 3-30 and it all went well.

please also remember that you are using Flights by Celebrity and most passengers will be sailing and if there are any delays they will hold the ship or should do.

IMHO you will be fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, swigso said:

We used a similar promo some years ago, and it was the first time we had ever arrived and departed on the day of a cruise.Everything went very smoothly.

I have checked my old files and the plane arrived at FCO around 13-15.

Celebrity staff were waiting they directed us to leave our cases and the coaches 

were waiting out side the airport. We were on board by 3-30 and it all went well.

please also remember that you are using Flights by Celebrity and most passengers will be sailing and if there are any delays they will hold the ship or should do.

IMHO you will be fine.

That is the Coronation weekend?? Bank holiday??

Celebrity are possibly trying to organise a charter although they used BA a lot for flights ex LGW/LHR

The very fact he has posed the question, indicates to me he is not comfortable with the timings. 

To arrive at FCO by noon with clock changes, would require a flight to depart LGW/LHR by 0900.

I have done it successfully in the past but doubt I would repeat given the airport disruption in the UK last spring/summer. 

If vacation time and budget permits, I would add on 3 days to the trip for a pre-Rome city break.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

If you are flying from Gatwick I think you might be on the Vueling flight at 0955 arr 1335. Either that or they plan to charter an aircraft which they have done before. I am a worrier and wouldn't arrive the same day or would want the first flight of the day with an airline that had multiple flights in case it went wrong. If the flight is delayed the good thing is that in the UK we have a decent amount of consumer protection. Also it's likely that there will be a lot of Celebrity passengers on the flight so they will probably allow you some wriggle room. If you are like me and it will niggle at you and stop you looking forward to the holiday then call up Celebrity again and ask them if you can go the day before or change the flight. Let us know how you get on. The £99 flight offer is good but not if it stresses you out for the next four months.

If you don't want to or can't travel the day before, there are BA flights out of Heathrow at 0605 (arrives 0945) and 0655 (arrives 1030). Either of those should be OK, but I'd be tempted to book the earlier, so that the later one could become a back up option in case of delays getting to the airport.

Edited by barbette165
missing word

Thanks everyone, I hadn't even thought of the possibility of a charter!  Perhaps that's why they confidently made that available as a same-day departure option? It would also explain why the flight details are vague. (Thing is: there were no other options available on their website that I could tell, so I either would have had to leave a day earlier - not ideal - or not use FBC at all).  I called FBC today for more information, they said they'd look into it and get back to me.  So I'll hold off for now, but hope they don't leave me hanging for too long as I would like to sort this out @john1970 it must be a Surrey thing!  It's exactly as you describe - niggling at me, and end of the day, not worth the £99 flight offer if too stressful.  Will keep everyone posted, thanks.

Edited by Ducky_01
  • Like 1

So.. I called Celebrity again today and they reassured me that the booking was valid, and because it was via FBC they are coordinated to arrive on time.  Also, provided I also book transfers with Celebrity, they will ensure we'll get to the ship in the event of delays.  This isn't a problem, as I planned to do so anyways.

The lack of flight details on my Reservation was an unrelated matter: turns out, the Flights department did not pass this info along to Bookings.  All sorted, for now.