Cadiz Spain - Seville or Gibraltar?

slidebite

Our planned TA cruise is scheduled to port in Cadiz for a day and I'd appreciate the insight of my fellow but more experienced travellers.

As someone who has never been through the strait before, is there anything to see in Gibraltar itself for a few hours? I think the only Gibraltar excursion is basically a "Gibraltar at your own pace" where you explore on your own but I think that's it. There are several other included excursions for elsewhere, and I am thinking, probably incorrectly so that there isn't a ton of "touristy" or sightseeing in Gibraltar if there is only the one excursion but I have no idea.

If you have never been to Seville I would go to Seville.  If you have been before, not necessary.  As for Gibraltar on your own, you can meet the monkeys and go to top of hill and maybe fit in a visit to the caves; that could wait for a future cruise that might actually stop at Gibraltar.

Just me two cents, YMMV.

Marc

• Like 2

If you think this is the only chance you’ll have to visit Sevilla then do that. Cadiz is in its own right a charming city. I would not even consider taking a tour to Gibraltar, went there years ago as a stop on a cruise and was mildly interesting but imo not enough to warrant a special excursion to it

• Like 1

I have been to Cádiz, Gibraltar and Sevilla.  I would prefer Cádiz or Sevilla.  If you have enough time for a thorough (or somewhat thorough) visit, Sevilla would be preferred.  Cádiz, however, would not disappoint...and it is very walkable.

• Like 2

Based on our last visit--Sept-Oct. 2021 when aboard Explorer:  

Recommend Seville's Cathedral & The Reales Alcazares.  This was a 8.5 hour tour (with lunch).  Included was a visit to Spanish Pavilion (site of 1929 World's Fair) and walk through the Old Jewish Quarter.  The Cathedral (largest Gothic-style in Europe) contains a few grams (scientifically authentic) of Christopher Columbus.  The Reales Alcazares complex was evocative.  One Presentation Hall was adorned with contemporary paintings commemorating Columbus' presentation to Ferdinan and Isabella of results from his second voyage to "The New World".  

1.25 hour bus ride coming and going from Port.  This excursion was initially scheduled for 9.5 hours; but, probably due to COVID concerns, the one hour which was originally allocated for "shopping" was deleted.  Just-as-well.  Back to ship in time for changing and pre-dinner cocktails.    

Good weather; excellent Guide; small group of about 18 fellow travelers.  Great lunch in private dining room of local restaurant w/ local wines. 

OBCs well-utilized to pay for same. 

--------

As to Gibraltar:  Last there April, 2017 also aboard Explorer during first segment of a B/t/B, Miami to Venice.  Stop was for 10 hours, more-or-less.  Several tours were offered.  We took a 3.5 hour excursion which included stops at historical WWII sites; and a delightful afternoon Tea at a local hotel co-located with a Botanical Garden.  This is a small British enclave. 

Unique and compressed geography.  Particularly noteworthy was one tour bus stop along the route.  That was before being allowed to cross the commercial Airport's runway.  Waited for a passenger aircraft to take off.  Blink, take one turn, and one is at the Spanish Border. 

GOARMY!

If you have to choose between these three ports to visit, Seville is ahead by miles;  Cadiz is certainly an attractive and interesting place, Gib. is way down - if you actually dock there and have no choice there are a few  interesting things to do, as above, but  it does not compare. Just my opinion of course.

I was on a cruise last year that stopped in Gibraltar, and it turned out to be one of my all-time favorite excursions. Went to the top of the rock at sunrise, enjoyed the views and learned about the history and life in Gibraltar, walked down through where the Barbary monkeys live (which was both entertaining and interesting), and explored some tunnels and learned the history there.  However, if you will have to do this on your own, rather than have a guide to show you where to go and explain things, you're probably better off going to Seville.  Which also is worthwhile.

It all depends on what you value most, I guess.  If it is looking round lovely and old buildings in Spain, definitely Seville.  Gib. certainly has an interesting history, but not a lot of beauty to look at.  I am allowed to say this, being British!

• Haha 1

Seville. If you want to see "Old Spain" you want take the long tour to Seville. Buildings, Architecture, church are amazing. To me one of the best tours in Spain. 

I assume your voyage will take you past the "Rock." Seeing it from the ship is good enough for the first time.

• Like 1