Awful State of Ocean View Cafe for dinner

Arubamoose

Just now, jean87510 said:

What department is GR? 

Guest Relations--

It's where you get change for tips, borrow a pen because there are none in the room anymore, make " nonsense " complaints ( food in the buffet ), and stand in a long line on the last day of the cruise behind the people that remove the Gratuities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

This thread is "way over the top "--- absolutely gone " crazy "!!

( Please , I get it, you don't have to tell me " So, stop reading , etc "-- )

Is ANYONE " really "going to cancel or stop cruising with any specific Cruise line because of the friggin food in the Buffet ? 

( Getting " taken to the cleaners " in the Spa for $347 (US) is another thing )!!

Here's what Pinboy would say if he were working in GR and someone complained about the selection or food quality in the Buffet:

" Sorry 'bout that--- I'll mention it to the F&B Manager--- No, he/she is not available at the moment ( they are always in a meeting)---No, I am not able to provide a complimentary dinner in Murano and refund $1000 due to your disappointment---- Yes, I agree that they used to have etc, etc and you were looking forward to it------ But , Did you book this F'KEN cruise because of THAT "??

The next day--- Pinboy would be on a flight back to Canada.

Definitely.  I am seriously considering cancelling my upcoming cruise over the decrease in quality and quantity of food.  This thread has been extremely helpful in gathering information and making an informed decision.

Because X certainly hasn’t been very communicative with the changes.

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Definitely.  I am seriously considering cancelling my upcoming cruise over the decrease in quality and quantity of food.  This thread has been extremely helpful in gathering information and making an informed decision.

Maybe Celebrity is really doing us a favor by encouraging us to look at other cruise lines or vacation options.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

We aren't from Missouri so we'll wait and make our decision based on our own experiences.  Other than that this thread has helped take away some of the shock factor we may experience for our March Apex cruise. We won't be cancelling our October Eclipse cruise either. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I am seriously considering cancelling my upcoming cruise

LOL-----I get it---

I'm "seriously considering" cancelling my Golf membership because last time my hamburger was overdone, the fries were cold, and I lost $ 2.50 that day after missing a 2 ft putt on the 18th hole------- but in the end---- won't.

Looking forward to what you decide---- I'll give 200/1 that you -------won't cancel your upcoming cruise.. 

( No offence intended --- No " Don't decide or tell me what to do " post necessary--- It's all in fun )

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We aren't from Missouri so we'll wait and make our decision based on our own experiences.  Other than that this thread has helped take away some of the shock factor we may experience for our March Apex cruise. We won't be cancelling our October Eclipse cruise either. 

You may want to at least revisit your decision on the Eclipse cruise after you return from the Apex.

On this thread I have been accused of: being judgmental; being an inexperienced cruiser; being one who questions people's morals; living the Suite life; being wealthy with money to burn. All this derived from my comments regarding the “Awful State of Ocean View Café for dinner.” Okay, if you say so. Based on this, I can now comment as another person and Spif has graciously allowed me to use his/her writing stick and writing space.

The state of the OVC is not awful. The offerings are plentiful and more than adequate, even with half the venue closed. Unfortunately, the food in all venues is not always consistently as tasty as we would like it to be. There is the occasional off-putting meal that arrives at the table. A sign of the times, perhaps, but I can remember those occasional moments many years ago, not just recently.  

Despite the present, and the past, my money is on the X factor. I am still comfortable spending my money – in advance - where I can adapt and enjoy. I certainly do not need Celebrity to inform me that the OVC will be modifying the four-bean salad to three beans only during my sailing. That sounds ridiculous, I know, but no more so than other comments on this thread.

As you can tell I agree with Spif. There are those among you who vehemently disagree with both of us. You are not wrong. You have a different opinion. I’ll not judge your motives or your economic status because of those differences. With that said, folks with upcoming X cruises (we have 2), may our experiences meet our expectations and not necessarily in the same way. I, for one, will enjoy whatever comes my way. And, I will make my thoughts known, both positive and negative, at the right time and to the right place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Guest Relations--

It's where you get change for tips, borrow a pen because there are none in the room anymore, make " nonsense " complaints ( food in the buffet ), and stand in a long line on the last day of the cruise behind the people that remove the Gratuities. 

On our September Summit cruise I got a pen from the CC host. I swear it's made from the TP cardboard core. 

001.JPG

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-----I get it---

I'm "seriously considering" cancelling my Golf membership because last time my hamburger was overdone, the fries were cold, and I lost $ 2.50 that day after missing a 2 ft putt on the 18th hole------- but in the end---- won't.

Looking forward to what you decide---- I'll give 200/1 that you -------won't cancel your upcoming cruise.. 

( No offence intended --- No " Don't decide or tell me what to do " post necessary--- It's all in fun )

I loved all of my past Celebrity cruises, but I am seriously considering cancelling my February cruise and I am looking elsewhere for my future cruises.  It's not just the change in quality and quantity (choice) of food, it is also the changes in other areas (beverage packages cost and conditions, nickle diming dining, etc).    The lack of communication of these changes is problematic too.  

If Celebrity replaced cabin beds with cots, would you be ok with that?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Good luck because apparently the Park Cafe on one of their luxurious amusement parks ships is no longer offering potato chips and they got a nice long thread on their boards about the travesty.

Well that cures me from ever cruising on Royal, but wait there are more reasons than just the chips.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

And now there is a thread on RCI too

suddenly buffets are hot topic instead of chair hogs

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Most of the changes I've seen across the lines so far have not been a big deal to me.   However, I do not like what I saw in the OP's video.   Despite advice to the contrary, I'm not interested in making do.    I've advised my travel consultant (Mrs Ldubs) to take Celebrity off the consideration list until we hear more about the issues.  Hopefully folks on current Celebrity cruises will weigh in on status of the OV.  Surely there are CC members on current cruises to confirm what is happening.  

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

You may want to at least revisit your decision on the Eclipse cruise after you return from the Apex.

Non-refunable fare. No way will we cancel. October, possibly things could be different (?). 😍🍷  I just asked my Magic 8 Ball and it said," cannot predict now". Plus we like the itinerary. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

So they “doctored” the video.  Really? Come on.  Are you from the Celebrity “misinformation” Department?

Someone's head is planted firmly in the sand if they're trying to discredit the video.  Blind loyalty is blind.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

I loved all of my past Celebrity cruises, but I am seriously considering cancelling my February cruise and I am looking elsewhere for my future cruises.

I have two upcoming cruises booked--both with Celebrity. I am not considering cancelling either one and will undoubtedly have a great time on both. However, the last 8 or so months have changed my view focusing solely on Celebrity. First there was a comped Carnival Cruise that I truly enjoyed, followed by insane Retreat pricing that gave me a nudge to look elsewhere. Now with clearly visible cutbacks to food quality that leave me wondering where else they've cut that isn't so obvious, the door has been swung wide open.

To that end, Celebrity has very quickly gone from the top of my list when I look to book cruises to around a tie for 5th with a bunch of other mass market lines. It's truly staggering to me that they could make such a precipitous drop in such a short timeframe. I may not be your average Joe from Schenectady but I'm sure there are plenty just like me.

I'm excited to try MSC Yacht Club, Oceania, and Azamara among others. They now get my first look. In addition, it's been a long time since I've sailed Princess or Royal and I've never tried HAL--Celebrity falls back into that pack. To be honest, I find all this liberating. Change is good.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

This thread is "way over the top "--- absolutely gone " crazy "!!

( Please , I get it, you don't have to tell me " So, stop reading , etc "-- )

Is ANYONE " really "going to cancel or stop cruising with any specific Cruise line because of the friggin food in the Buffet ? 

( Getting " taken to the cleaners " in the Spa for $347 (US) is another thing )!!

Here's what Pinboy would say if he were working in GR and someone complained about the selection or food quality in the Buffet:

" Sorry 'bout that--- I'll mention it to the F&B Manager--- No, he/she is not available at the moment ( they are always in a meeting)---No, I am not able to provide a complimentary dinner in Murano and refund $1000 due to your disappointment---- Yes, I agree that they used to have etc, etc and you were looking forward to it------ But , Did you book this F'KEN cruise because of THAT "??

The next day--- Pinboy would be on a flight back to Canada.

To answer your question: YES

Combined with other things, of course, but the dismal state of the buffet is a very significant factor.  When we enjoy, and look forward to quiet, casual, al fresco dinners at the Sunset bar, knowing that the cruise line is serving a worse selection than my kid's college dorm becomes a factor that is significant to our decision. 

When other lines offer far superior options, both at the buffet and other restaurants, our dollars are spent elsewhere. 

• Like 10