Perry Grant

lulabelle

When we talked with him in March, he mentioned that Royal Caribbean does not like the use of his electric keyboard. They wanted only piano to be used in the Schooner bar. One of the reasons he was not renewed.

He is definitely a character and normally wouldn’t be my “cup of tea” but get some alcohol in me at night and I could spend some good time in the Schooner bar with him.  He had some unique parts of this show that I haven’t seen on other ships, like the “knockers” or “positions, positions everyone”.  

The show is dang near identical each night, which did get repetitive by day 4 or so.

I don't think his flamboyance is the issue. He selects someone from the audience (normally a woman) and asks about where she lives, the # of bedrooms, if the kitchen includes stainless steel appliances, etc. Some people may not be finding it "funny," but rather insulting or denigrating. 

42 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

r and normally wouldn’t be my “cup of tea” but get some alcohol in me at night and I could spend some good time in the Schooner bar with him.

They should have had him in a different venue. We spend a lot of evenings in the Schooner Bar probably would have complained if we had to put up with him every evening. 

His show is that last show I would want to spend any time watching. We came across him a few years ago and watched as he intimidated and bullied a woman in the audience. No funny and certainly not entertaining. 

• Like 2

We saw him on a 12 night cruise and every night he performed, the Schooner Bar was packed. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but you'll never find an artist that is, and he manages to fill his venue every night. While his act is a bit repetitive, I have never had so much fun watching an artist on a ship before. I thought he was hilarious 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mets07 said:

I don't think his flamboyance is the issue. He selects someone from the audience (normally a woman) and asks about where she lives, the # of bedrooms, if the kitchen includes stainless steel appliances, etc. Some people may not be finding it "funny," but rather insulting or denigrating. 

On my January cruise, he usually picked men. Young ones...

4 minutes ago, toad455 said:

On my January cruise, he usually picked men. Young ones...

OK. It was the opposite on my cruise and I can understand why some were offended. I hid in the back and did not stay long.  

15 hours ago, Kezzie62 said:

His show is that last show I would want to spend any time watching. We came across him a few years ago and watched as he intimidated and bullied a woman in the audience. No funny and certainly not entertaining. 

We saw him on Celebrity years ago. He was rude and insulted people. To me if that’s the only way to get laughs then he really has no talent especially if his shows are the same over and over. Two couples left his show early and he heckled them. We also left early and he did the same. Guess he can’t deal with people leaving his show. I’m guessing there were more after us unless they were afraid to get heckled.

He also had a following on Celebrity which I never understood. There are so many other funny entertainers to see.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We saw him on Celebrity years ago. He was rude and insulted people. To me if that’s the only way to get laughs then he really has no talent especially if his shows are the same over and over. Two couples left his show early and he heckled them. We also left early and he did the same. Guess he can’t deal with people leaving his show. I’m guessing there were more after us unless they were afraid to get heckled.

He also had a following on Celebrity which I never understood. There are so many other funny entertainers to see.

Some people I guess enjoy watching people being bullied and think it is funny. When people leave he keeps denigrating them to the audience when they are gone. I thought it was creepy. But he does have a fan group. And they watch that same show that he does over and over~~~over and over. I don’t know about on Royal but on Celebrity he had followers who booked to attend his shows. 

• Like 1

IMO he is funny.  Bullying?  No- if you walk out during his show, he sometimes makes a "funny" comment.  Since the ships have so many people over 60, he is fun to watch!  So much better then CATS!  Wish he performed on the Oasis of the Seas.

I believe he is a great performer and gives his all to his show- 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Bullied? Hardly. It's sarcasm. All he says when people leave is "return, return".

That is definitely not all he said when I saw him in 2015. Maybe they told him to tone it down? He was very rude. It’s sad when a comedian has to make so much fun of people. Sure, a wise crack here or there is fine, but when it’s obvious the person is uncomfortable and not laughing along with him then he needs to change. Even we were uncomfortable watching him do it so we left.

We saw Perry Grant on a HAL ship in 2001. He was the piano bar musician and he was fabulous every night.  I believe that is how he started getting a following.I guess he became a main stage act?  Too bad that his humor became uncomfortable.

He used to say, "I'll sing any Judy Garland song, but don't ask me about Barbra!"   He was a lot of fun as the piano bar person and made the cruise even more memorable.

We saw him on the Anthem on an 11-day cruise and we stopped in to see him almost every night. 

Bullied, now why would anyone even think that? He may not be everyone's cup of tea but are we all so thin-skinned these days that we can't laugh at ourselves sometimes? And, he certainly has a following as the Schooner Bar is filled every night he performs. Name me one other entertainer on any ship that can say that.

Ourselves, we found him hilarious.

Cheers

Len

• Like 2