New to Royal, what is a Key?

DB2VA

1 minute ago, DB2VA said:

I am not new to cruising, but someone mentioned about buying a key for their cruise and don't know anything about it. 

The Key Guests will enjoy the following exclusive and special amenities during their cruise vacation: 

• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1*
  • Carry-on bag drop off in the Main Dining Room with stateroom delivery**
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring the Chops Grille® menu***
  • Private time at onboard activities**** including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore
  • VIP access at shows in the Main theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70 (all guests must have a reservation in order to qualify)
  • VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet – 1 package per paying guest
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive á la carte breakfast and choice departure
  •  

Usually runs about $30 per person per day, everyone in the cabin must purchase, seems pretty worthless unless you would purchase a voom package.  Family of four on a seven night cruise would cost about $800

• Like 2

Hi,

This is another way for RCI to make money.

It may be good for some, especially new cruisers but anyone who is Diamond+ and above gets a few of these perks anyway.

I suppose it depends on your circumstances, so...

Lets break it down some factors...

Since the pandemic, you now have a arrival time given to you that you are advised to stick to and I have now done 4 cruises and can tell you that from arriving at the terminal it has been less than 15 before boarding the ship. Much, much faster than before! So no bonus there!

I always have a carry on bag that I take to lunch on the first day. It has a change of clothes just in case the luggage doesn't arrive in time before going to dinner. It also contains a towel and swimwear in case I want to have a swim after lunch (as I now can complete the muster drill upon boarding, so do not need to rush about at 4pm getting ready anymore). So don't need that service!

I would love a Chops grill at lunch, but I would have had a big breakfast at the hotel before leaving for the ship and always have My Time Dinning for around 6pm so would simply get on board and go to the WJ and have lunch there at my own pace.

There is plenty time to climb the wall or go on the flow rider. Remember these are both outdoors so depending on the weather, they may be closed for H&S reasons, so your private reservation could be cancelled if windy or rough seas.

It is always nice to get off the ship first at ports of call and make the most of the day there. However, if you have booked a trip through RCI then you would normally meet in say the Theatre and make your way down to the tenders with a guide, so you already get priority departure here.

VIP access to shows is nice. Anyone D+ or above currently gets this and this depends on which ship - some let you enter 40 minutes before and choose your own seat (if not already reserved) and others have a dedicated area such is in the middle section of balcony.

I would normally chose a seat at the front for a band for the music and go in the balcony if its a comedian, so I can escape without becoming part of the show.

You have to think here about your family and certain things like little kids that suddenly need the loo and require an adult to go with them only to return to find that the next kid now wants the loo too, and so on!. Better to be at the back than at the front in this case - even more so if its comedy night! From what I have seen most Key seats are in the first 5 rows.

VOOM! Again Diamond upwards get at least a free day of this each. I give mine to my wife who may use it to check on the grandkids from time to time. Personally myself, I am on holiday and have gone away from my normal world to enjoy a break, so I am not really interested in what's happening back home as I cannot do anything about it. 

However, I suppose in this new generation of kids being practically handcuffed to a device for whatever reason, if it keeps them quiet, then $30 a day maybe worth it I suppose. Although why some kids today can't simply go and enjoy all the things a cruise ship has to offer. They don't know it, but they have never had it so good. There was nothing like this when I was a kid.

A nice meal on debarkation day. Would be nice, but a lot of people have to get up early to get off asap to catch a flight etc so a quick rush to the MJ and off they go is all they can manage.

We always try to stay over for a day or two in the final port so are not in a rush, but you still have to be off by say 9am at the latest if taking off your own luggage. I have tried MDR breakfast, but it is slow in they seem to get your order wrong (almost like they no longer care). Best bet here is the WJ where you can eat what you want/need.

As I say, it depends on your circumstances, but any top tier C&A member probably would not bother with this and any family that did would be paying a great amount. If only the internet to keep the kids happy is the reason, then surely a better option would be to find other things around the ship for them to do to keep them happy.

As you can tell, its not for me!

For me, I could use the money saved on this to help fund another cruise instead!

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I get that The Key isn't particularly beneficial to those that are higher in the Crown & Anchor ranks, but many of us don't get those privileges yet.   I'm still Platinum - after this cruise I'll be close to Emerald but not quite there.  At an average of 7 nights per cruise I still have about 18 cruises to go before I'll reach D+.  Since I'm averaging a cruise a year that means it's going to be a while before I hit that status point.

We bought the key for our next cruise.  At the time it was on sale and virtually the same price as the internet.  Could we have saved money by sharing a 2 device internet package? Probably. But there were benefits to us for The Key.  I typically don't eat breakfast, and we almost never bother with the speciality restaurants so the Chops lunch is something different for us. Private activity time? Meh, may or may not use.  Reserved space at shows?  We'll almost certainly be making use of that.  Debarkation breakfast?  Awesome, we usually stay in the port city for a day or two after anyway so we're in no rush to get off the ship.

So yes, it definitely does depend on each individual and their particular circumstances to decide whether it's worth it for them or not.

• Like 1

To piggyback what @Amberle3 said.

The way I look at it is that it gives you a couple loyalty perks and a couple suite type perks.

I don't think it's worth it for us, but we did it once. It was a anniversary cruise for my in-laws. My MIL enjoyed the reserved section at the shows and that sort of thing. And she felt a little special. So that was nice.

But like what has been said before, if the difference between key and the VOOM plan is close enough in price, then maybe.

But purely on it's own, no, I don't think it's worth it.

My son and I have purchased The Key for our upcoming cruise. I was on the fence but finally decided it was worth the $60 upcharge we paid compared to getting a 2 device internet package (I need to be able to text him because I know he will want to walk around on his own).

The perks that made it worth the money for me was lunch in chops (I hate boarding day in the windjammer), the ability to drop off our carry-on luggage (we are light packers and only bring a carry-on so I don’t have to walk up and down the hallways looking for my luggage and stressing out), and the private hours at the activities (this is a sold out cruise and the activities are a priority for my son).

I can see how it wouldn’t be worth it for people sailing 4 to a cabin or not interested in the activities but I do think it can be worth it in some cases. 

22 minutes ago, dateacher said:

How do you sign up for it?  I don't' see it on the app.

You can find it in your cruise planner on the website.  I don't think it can be purchased through the app

It's listed under VIP passes 

1117867332_ScreenShot2023-01-21at10_49_58AM.thumb.png.b84e68d19b75040fe720d0fe5fc60db3.png

Edited by Tree_skier

41 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

You can find it in your cruise planner on the website.  I don't think it can be purchased through the app

It's listed under VIP passes 

1117867332_ScreenShot2023-01-21at10_49_58AM.thumb.png.b84e68d19b75040fe720d0fe5fc60db3.png

The top heading now says, "VIP Passes". Just a few weeks ago it was "The Key".

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, SteamboatCruiser said:

We will be on the Harmony of the Seas and would really like to know what the perks really are!  

You might have priority access during the skating session(s). Some perks may not be confirmed until you are on board.

We are on Anthem for 12 nites.   We are Diamond level and staying in a Grand Suite so I just can't figure out the internet bene's for us, coming from Celebrity (where Suites have EVERYTHING) I really would like to be clear on internet for us on this cruise.

I think that would be the only part of the Key we would benefit from?

Since Internet is less than the Key, any guidance?