New Cruiser... wondering about Port cancellations 🤷‍♀️

MommaShandy73

I would start by asking on the NCL board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/64-norwegian-cruise-line/

There are many reasons a port may be canceled in advance...too many to list here, and I am sure I don't know them all. If you were sailing to Grand Turk, the port there was built by Carnival Corp, and their ships get first priority. Not saying that was the reason...but maybe. The pier only takes two ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you read your cruise contract.  The part about cancellations basically says that they can cancel. modify or switch the order of ports or port times for any reason whatever or even cancel the entire cruise and there is nothing that you can do about it.  Sometimes they can get a good offer for a complete ship charter and cancel the entire cruise.  Doesn't happen all that often although more so now than it used to be because of staffing issues.  As LHT29 said on the  previous post if you can't handle this uncertainty a land trip is a better alternative.  

DON

Hi, yes... read the contract.  Understand the rules.  Didn't say anything about not being able to handle the uncertainty.   Just asked if anyone knew why it was cancelled and if T/C was having issues before I book that flight/land package that LHT29 suggests. 

Thanks tho.

6 hours ago, MommaShandy73 said:

2/27 NCL...DR & Turks/Caicos cruise booked and they have cancelled the Turks/Caicos port... how do I find out why? Wondering because it's the reason we booked this trip...

Welcome to CruiseCritic.

Unfortunately, the itinerary can be changed for any reason, or for no apparent reason (that is, the reason might not be shared with the passengers).

As LHT28 suggested, IF there is a place that is *really* important to you, you should either fly there specifically (or perhaps find a cruise that ends there, if that's possible; that's far less likely to get changed, but even that can happen, especially if there is political unrest), or just keep in the back of your mind that you might need to plan a second chance to get there.

Yes, it can be *very* disappointing, regardless of the reason.

So try to enjoy whatever itinerary the cruise ends up with, including extra sea days if that's what happens.

GC

18 hours ago, MommaShandy73 said:

2/27 NCL...DR & Turks/Caicos cruise booked and they have cancelled the Turks/Caicos port... how do I find out why? Wondering because it's the reason we booked this trip...

Cruise ship stops are canceled often enough that you really don't want to book solely because of a particular stop on the itinerary.  

As for reasons, I've mostly been given e-mails from the cruise line about them when cancellations have happened to me.  If you booked through a travel agent, they might have received it instead - in which case they would know and be on the hook for telling you.  But sometimes the cruise lines never disclose why they're changing or canceling their stops.  They don't have to.

21 hours ago, MommaShandy73 said:

Are you sure NCL is scheduled for Grand Turk, January and February has only Carnival Corp. ships. https://www.grandturkcc.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 5:01 PM, Charles4515 said:

Carnival Corp built the dock and port area on Grand Turk so it would be unusual for other cruise ships to be schedualed. 

We have been there several times on non Carnival ships

Maybe other lines are not willing to pay the fees now ???

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Oceania but pre covid  so things may have changed

Other cruise ships than Carnival Corp have called there but that has been rare. Most calls are Carnival Corp. Carnival Corp did build it. I  googled  that to check my memory. 

” The Grand Turk Cruise Center is the only cruise port in the Turks and Caicos, and the $50 million complex was opened by Carnival Cruise Lines in 2006.”

10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Other cruise ships than Carnival Corp have called there but that has been rare. Most calls are Carnival Corp. Carnival Corp did build it. I  googled  that to check my memory. 

” The Grand Turk Cruise Center is the only cruise port in the Turks and Caicos, and the $50 million complex was opened by Carnival Cruise Lines in 2006.”

yes  they did build it  but I guess they rented the space to other lines in the past

Like Mahogany Bay in Roatan we were there  on Oceania but it was built by Carnival corp

I am old but my memory is still intact 😉

Guess Carnival is not sharing the ports  they built now

So a little research. Grand Turk was on their original itinerary and has been replaced with Bermuda. Been to Grand Turk about 4 times not sure why anyone would choose a sailing  just for Grand Turk but both the original and modified 11 day itinerary rt from New York in February (Brrr) have plenty of other ports. I don't think it was a cruise that most would choose for any one port. Bermuda in March is odd as it won't be all that warm there then. Pleasant but not beach weather.

Possibly NCL made the change because Grand Turk requires vacination?

On 1/19/2023 at 7:56 AM, runner15km said:

Are you sure NCL is scheduled for Grand Turk, January and February has only Carnival Corp. ships. https://www.grandturkcc.com/Port-Schedule.aspx

Hi!  This is probably why our stop there was cancelled.  Have had this cruise booked since January 2022, so changes are expected.  Thanks! 

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We have been there several times on non Carnival ships

Maybe other lines are not willing to pay the fees now ???

Just had friends port there on Princess.  I am guessing the docks are already booked by Carnival and not available on our dates. 

2 hours ago, MommaShandy73 said:

Just had friends port there on Princess.  I am guessing the docks are already booked by Carnival and not available on our dates. 

Funny no sports for  the winter season for other lines  just Carnival Corp ships

same with their port in Roatan