Allure's Central Park plants, some dead due to freezing. Will plants be replaced?

swdke

18 minutes ago, swdke said:

I've seen some videos on YouTube where they show quite a few dead plants due to a recent freeze.  Wondering if RCCL would promptly replace?

Close to 20,000 potted plants on each Oasis Class ship. Easy to pop out and replace barring supply chain issues. 

44 minutes ago, swdke said:

I've seen some videos on YouTube where they show quite a few dead plants due to a recent freeze.  Wondering if RCCL would promptly replace?

This is a good video showing the freeze damage.  He says that crew told him it could take up to 3 months to get it all back to being lush and green.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Close to 20,000 potted plants on each Oasis Class ship. Easy to pop out and replace barring supply chain issues. 

They're not actually in pots -- they're planted in the dirt.  So some effort is required to dig up the dead ones and replace with new ones. 

18 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Oasis class was never built for cold climate...yes it can get damn cold in Texas....guess someone forgot about that when they moved an Oasis class ship to Galveston during the winter months.

Galveston doesn't normally get quite THAT cold though, does it?  Galveston is a 9b zone area, and Miami is a 10b/11a zone area, so not a huge difference.  And Port Canaveral is a 9b/10a zone area, so virtually identical to Galveston.  It was just an exceptionally cold weather front that moved through that week.

Hopefully they're putting thought into what plants to put in, choosing some that are a bit more cold tolerant than what was there before.  

• Like 3

T

30 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Galveston doesn't normally get quite THAT cold though, does it?  Galveston is a 9b zone area, and Miami is a 10b/11a zone area, so not a huge difference.  And Port Canaveral is a 9b/10a zone area, so virtually identical to Galveston.  It was just an exceptionally cold weather front that moved through that week.

Hopefully they're putting thought into what plants to put in, choosing some that are a bit more cold tolerant than what was there before.  

There is a HUGE difference between south Florida and Galveston. Heck I live in Central Fl and it's a huge difference between south FL just 3 hrs south of us. Now go to North FL/Panhandle...pretty much same plane as Galveston and it frequently drops down into the 20-30's in winter. All you need is one hard freeze or even a good frost and it raises havoc on the landscape. Here in central FL we get several frosts and freezes every winter....but that doesn't happen in South FL. Port Canaveral probably escapes most of these issues due to fact that they are right on the Atlantic and even just a few degrees difference can make a big difference. I have boarded in Tampa where temps were just at Freezing.

Edited by bajathree

22 minutes ago, bajathree said:

There is a HUGE difference between south Florida and south Texas. Heck I live in Central Fl and it's a huge difference between south FL just 3 hrs south of us. Now go to North FL...same plane as Galveston and it frequently drops down into the 20-30's in winter. All you need is one hard freeze or even a good frost and it raises havoc on the landscape. Here in central FL we get several frosts and freezes every winter....but that doesn't happen in South FL. Port Canaveral probably escapes most of these issues due to fact that they are right on the Atlantic and even just a few degrees difference can make a big difference.

USDA hardiness zones are USDA hardiness zones.  They take all of that into account.  

I take it you've never done any gardening, or you'd know about the zones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I find the idea of plants/trees on a ship just weird, except maybe a potted plant in a solarium. Likewise the lawn on the top deck of some X ships.

When I am at sea, I want to see the sea and sky, not things that grow on land.

Agree on wanting to see the sea and sky while sailing - and nothing beats the sound of waves.  But IMHO, one of the most peaceful and relaxing venues in which to enjoy the sky is Central Park.  Grab a drink at Vintages or the Trellis Bar (or both), get seat under the stars, listen to the music, and sit back exhale and enjoy! 

• Like 6

I live within an hour of Galveston.  Though temperatures there are usually a little more moderate over the highs and lows of my area, both pretty much have a shot at one or two “bad” freezes a year (and many years with none).  Those events last a day or two at most…the ship just happened to be in the area on one of those rare occasions when the freeze met their day in port and the water near it.

Edited by TexasRon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

T

There is a HUGE difference between south Florida and Galveston. Heck I live in Central Fl and it's a huge difference between south FL just 3 hrs south of us. Now go to North FL/Panhandle...pretty much same plane as Galveston and it frequently drops down into the 20-30's in winter. All you need is one hard freeze or even a good frost and it raises havoc on the landscape. Here in central FL we get several frosts and freezes every winter....but that doesn't happen in South FL. Port Canaveral probably escapes most of these issues due to fact that they are right on the Atlantic and even just a few degrees difference can make a big difference. I have boarded in Tampa where temps were just at Freezing.

I agree - I live in Miami-Dade County and there is a big difference between our weather and the Orlando and Florida Panhandle weather which gets colder and colder as you head north. 

• Like 1

I am curious if this will make Royal rethink an Oasis ship here during the winter. I think every winter in the Houston area it will get below freezing at some point, now that just depends on will it be below freezing the day the ship happens to be in port or get lucky when it is out at sea. I am not sure if Royal learns that every season they will have to replace the trees and bushes if they will continue with an Oasis class ship. Maybe they will switch to a ship like Anthem or Odyssey if they want a large ship there.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, md80fan said:

I am curious if this will make Royal rethink an Oasis ship here during the winter. I think every winter in the Houston area it will get below freezing at some point, now that just depends on will it be below freezing the day the ship happens to be in port or get lucky when it is out at sea. I am not sure if Royal learns that every season they will have to replace the trees and bushes if they will continue with an Oasis class ship. Maybe they will switch to a ship like Anthem or Odyssey if they want a large ship there.

You would think that RCI would have considered the issue in the first place. 

• Like 1