Escape- Puerta Plata- 2/20/23-port change?

Dzpell3

I’m new to Norwegian and have only done 2 other cruises 7+ years ago (which I had no part in planning) so I’m basically a novice. I’ve seen on other threads that there can be port changes that don’t have to do with emergency situations. From what I’ve checked online there will be 2 carnival cruises in port this day… does this 100% mean that we will not be docking here? What are the other alternatives? Any help is appreciated! 

With two carnival ships you will not dock at Amber cove dock. That said. There is new hope that Taino bay will be used again. The encore docked at Taino bay this week. Therefore your sailing is more likely to dock at Puerto Plata barring any weather issues that could prevent it. The “ban” of Taino bay seems to be lifting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Escape for the Jan 7 sailing.  DR Cancelled with no advanced notice and weather was not an issue.  The intinerary was sold as is going to DR but NCL had not intention on stopping there.  No one noticed until such time that you installed the NCL app and people noticed the port change.  Cust service lines were always long for wht whole sevon days, even on the last day at 11PM the lines were so long they reached the forward elevators.

Shame on NCL for mis-leading people! 

We also missed GSC for weather but that was an obviuos problem and the chances you take when cruise so that one to me was understanble.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lfdemt said:

With two carnival ships you will not dock at Amber cove dock. That said. There is new hope that Taino bay will be used again. The encore docked at Taino bay this week. Therefore your sailing is more likely to dock at Puerto Plata barring any weather issues that could prevent it. The “ban” of Taino bay seems to be lifting. 

Has anyone confirmed the Encore actually stopped in Taino Bay, I read on another site, a person who was on the Encore said they did not stop there and the photo that was posted was a photo from a travel agency site. 

28 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

Has anyone confirmed the Encore actually stopped in Taino Bay, I read on another site, a person who was on the Encore said they did not stop there and the photo that was posted was a photo from a travel agency site. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Real time position on cruisemapper.com showed the Encore in Taino Bay and the Dawn at Amber Cove. 

That doesn’t answer what I asked as cruisemapper is an unreliable third party application 

January 14 sailing on Escape went to Amber Cove, not Puerto Plata. Even the captain, when making his announcements said we were going to Puerto Plata, but nope ... it was Amber Cover. The night before, the cruise director said Puerto Plata. Nope.

40 minutes ago, zqvol said:

That doesn’t answer what I asked as cruisemapper is an unreliable third party application 

I agree that it's not totally reliable in terms of future port schedules, but do you think its tracker showing a ship's position is unreliable?  

4 minutes ago, Envelope21 said:

January 14 sailing on Escape went to Amber Cove, not Puerto Plata. Even the captain, when making his announcements said we were going to Puerto Plata, but nope ... it was Amber Cover. The night before, the cruise director said Puerto Plata. Nope.

both Amber Cove and Taino Bay are in Puerto Plata.  My last cruise skipped Puerto Plata altogether and went to Nassau.  I would have been ok with Amber Cove instead of Taino Bay.  At least it would have still been a stop in Puerto Plata

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree that it's not totally reliable in terms of future port schedules, but do you think its tracker showing a ship's position is unreliable?  

I do think that it is just as likely to show an inaccurate position as it is to show an accurate one.  

26 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I do think that it is just as likely to show an inaccurate position as it is to show an accurate one.  

Based on what?  That’s a serious question, I have no grounding in what they are using. Do you not think it’s AIS?

1 hour ago, Envelope21 said:

Amber Cove is Puerto Plata. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zqvol said:

Escape is currently docked at Taino Bay.  There have been several reports on social media by people on the ship.  You can also look at the escape webcam. As well as that unreliable third party cruise mapper. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zqvol said:

No it isn’t referred to that way 

The two docks are less than 6 miles away from each other. Docking at Amber cove would be a stop at Puerto Plata.  Similar to docking at the Navy docks in Key west being as stop at key west.     Its a heck of a lot closer than docking at most European ports that claim to be Rome, Florence. etc. 

As of this week it looks like Escape will be back to Taino Bay. --it docked there this week as did NCL Encore. Whatever issues there were for NCL looks to be resolved. We are on Escape at the end of February and I'm glad this 'will she won't she' drama is over.

• Like 1