Sky Princess - Can you answer few questions about this ship?

llarsen

Hi,

We will be sailing on the Sky Princess next month.

We have taken around 20 cruises between 1989 - 2016, but we paused cruising for many years while we started seeing Europe on land vacations.

The only Princess ships we have sailed on were Tahitian Princess, Grand Princess and Crown Princess.

Boy, things have changed!

I don't even know what is "included" in a cruise anymore.

This time we booked "standard" cruise fare without any perks, upgrades or beverage package, so I'm not sure what food is free besides the MDR and Buffet.

I've seen "Chocolate Journeys" mentioned on this board. Is this just the name of some chocolate desserts they serve, or a specialty item available somewhere?

What is the difference between Alfredos Pizzeria and Slice? Alfredos looks like sit down, do you need reservations and are they both "included" at no charge?

What is the difference between World Fresh Marketplace and International Buffet? Are they both "included" at no charge?

What is the Pastry Shop? Is a station with desserts at the buffet and is it "included" at no charge?

Is Salty Dog Grill "included"? In one place I read it was included and another place saw a menu with prices.

Is the Retreat pool and regular loungers (non cabana) "included" at no charge?

This ship looks beautiful and I'm sure we will enjoy it. 

I just don't want to enter a pool area that is no open to us and would like to know where to pop in for a snack or grab something to eat.

Also considering adding the New Grounds Coffee Package.

Thanks so much!

24 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

We will be sailing on the Sky Princess next month.

We have taken around 20 cruises between 1989 - 2016, but we paused cruising for many years while we started seeing Europe on land vacations.

The only Princess ships we have sailed on were Tahitian Princess, Grand Princess and Crown Princess.

Boy, things have changed!

I don't even know what is "included" in a cruise anymore.

This time we booked "standard" cruise fare without any perks, upgrades or beverage package, so I'm not sure what food is free besides the MDR and Buffet.

***** Buffet, MDR, lido deck grill and pizza, Alfredo's, International Cafe, Room service. 

I've seen "Chocolate Journeys" mentioned on this board. Is this just the name of some chocolate desserts they serve, or a specialty item available somewhere?   ****** Just the name if done desserts in the MDR. 

What is the difference between Alfredos Pizzeria and Slice? Alfredos looks like sit down, do you need reservations and are they both "included" at no charge? 

**** Both are included in fare. Alfredo's is a sit down casual eatery, whole pizzas, salad, antipasto, pasta, etc. Slice is on the pool deck, by the slice pizza . 

What is the difference between World Fresh Marketplace and International Buffet? Are they both "included" at no charge?   

**** World Fresh Market Place, Horizon Court are the buffet. International Cafe is a 24/7 small bites option - sandwiches, soup, salads, desserts, breakfast items at breakfast time.. 

What is the Pastry Shop? Is a station with desserts at the buffet and is it "included" at no charge? 

**** Pastry Shop is part of the buffet, where the desserts are located. 

Is Salty Dog Grill "included"? In one place I read it was included and another place saw a menu with prices.

**** Salty Dog grill is included. Salty Dog Gastropub is extra cost. 

Is the Retreat pool and regular loungers (non cabana) "included" at no charge?  **** Included for all guests 16 and up, no charge, 

This ship looks beautiful and I'm sure we will enjoy it. 

I just don't want to enter a pool area that is no open to us and would like to know where to pop in for a snack or grab something to eat.   **** Anything that's extra cost is clearly marked. The Sanctuary, for instance, you can't just "wander in", it's behind manned doors, etc. Specialty restaurants have the menus posted up front, with charge. And so forth.. 

Also considering adding the New Grounds Coffee Package.

Thanks so much!

**** Answers follow questions.. 

PS: the ship page at the website is a wealth of info.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you're at all a coffee drinker, I find the ground package worth it. I don't know how many are included these days, so I may be in error.  It used to be 15 drinks.  As a plus one also gets free brewed coffee and tea at the International Café.  

ReedP did a great job with answers above!  You should fine most things are free on the ship.  There are a few costs, but ReedP got most of them.

Sounds like you should really be able to enjoy the cruise.  

PS.. I'm a huge fan of Alfredos.. try it at least once!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, reedprincess said:

**** Answers follow questions.. 

PS: the ship page at the website is a wealth of info.. 

THANK YOU Reedprincess! you really answered everything and I really appreciate it! 🙂 This seems like many more options than we previously had. Looking forward to our cruise!!! 

14 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

If you're at all a coffee drinker, I find the ground package worth it. I don't know how many are included these days, so I may be in error.  It used to be 15 drinks.  As a plus one also gets free brewed coffee and tea at the International Café.  

ReedP did a great job with answers above!  You should fine most things are free on the ship.  There are a few costs, but ReedP got most of them.

Sounds like you should really be able to enjoy the cruise.  

PS.. I'm a huge fan of Alfredos.. try it at least once!

Thank you for your reply. We will definitely try Alfredos and will be adding the coffee package. 🙂

In regards to the Coffee Package.

The package is great if you drink specialty coffees (cappuccino; expresso, caramel latte, etc.).  You do not need to buy the Coffee Package just for the brewed coffee as the Horizon Court machines on this ship have brewed coffee.

• Like 2

Everything @reedprincess said!! The only thing I would add is that Sky Princess doesn’t have the extra-charge Salty Dog Gastropub (my understanding is that this has replaced the Vines wine-bar on some ships, but Sky Princess still has Vines). The extra-charge speciality dining venues are Crown Grill, Sabatini’s and Bistro sur La Mer. We’ve only sailed on Sky Princess once and we did try all 3 speciality restaurants. I have my opinions but I’d advise that you try them if you want to and then you can make up your own mind.

The only other thing I’d add is that there are items on the room-service menu that are included but there are others (such as pizza) that are extra-charge. 

As I said we’ve only sailed on Sky Princess once so that are many more CC contributors that are far more knowledgable, but if you need an indication of our opinion we’re sailing on her again in Sept 2023. I hope you have a great vacation. 

• Like 1

My wife and I are booked on Sky for a Norway cruise in June. We have a few questions… We see there is no Crooners on Sky, what venues have nightly live music? Where are they hosting the nightly Suite/Elite/Platinum lounge? Is there a late night DJ anywhere?  -Thanks

Edited by The_Force

2 hours ago, famski740 said:

In regards to the Coffee Package.

The package is great if you drink specialty coffees (cappuccino; expresso, caramel latte, etc.).  You do not need to buy the Coffee Package just for the brewed coffee as the Horizon Court machines on this ship have brewed coffee.

Spot on, but I admit that in the evening, we tend to be around the IC than up top by the buffet.  It's not an only reason, but having the CCard allows one to score those coffees for "free" at the lower deck.

• Like 2

My DH and I consider our very recent Sky Princess Cruise to be one of our very best! The ship is beautiful…so elegant and classy. Our beds were so comfortable. Our room was kept clean and neat two times a day. We were given all the items we requested on the first day…extra hangers, extra pillows, two bathrobes, shower chair. No complaints there. I thought the singing in the Princess Theatre at night was top notch…Broadway quality really. Costumes and choreography were also wonderful. We loved every dinner meal we had in the MDR…lamb, veal, duck, beef tenderloin and my fave coq au vin…and we were able to walk right in to the Soleil Dining Room with no wait at our requested time of 5:40. We finished our meals in time to leave our table by about 7pm to get seats in the theatre for the 7:30pm show. We were always seated near other MDR tables for two and we were able to have some nice socially-distanced discussions while waiting for meals to be served. (We had a fascinating chat night one evening with a man who has done most of those fighter jet maneuvers that you can see in Top Gun: Maverick. I learned what I suspected to be true…many of those pilots like to live on the edge in most other aspects of their lives. Makes sense.)

Our cruise took us to the Dominican Republic where we signed up for a Princess catamaran excursion which was exactly what we were hoping for. Most attendees did the snorkeling but we were just happy being on the catamaran, meeting new people, feeding the fish with bread from the captain, enjoying the breezes, the rum drinks and the gorgeous views along with a delicious lunch. Perfect day of relaxation! We highly recommend! 

I am a big coffee lover, we had the Plus drink package so I definitely made use of it by ordering several cappuccinos a day. Even though I had ordered them in the MDR and also Sabatini’s, nothing beat the taste of the cappuccinos in the International Cafe. Just as strong/robust as any you would have in Italy. The best! And of course they just taste better in a ceramic cup and saucer with decorated foam (not a throw away cup) when you sit at a nearby Piazza table mid-afternoon on a port day, nibbling on a few warm almond cookies and listening to the smooth sounds of a lone trumpet player from the ship’s band playing “You Send Me”. Heaven, I tell you…heaven.

You are going to have a fabulous trip, Larsen. Enjoy every minute.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The_Force said:

My wife and I are booked on Sky for a Norway cruise in June. We have a few questions… We see there is no Crooners on Sky, what venues have nightly live music? Where are they hosting the nightly Suite/Elite/Platinum lounge? Is there a late night DJ anywhere?  -Thanks

We found that there was usually live music in the piazza in the evening (you could hear it if you could find a seat on decks 5, 6 or 7). There was also live music in Take Five (we didn’t go in there but understand from friends that it was mainly jazz), in the Crown Grill bar (we saw a superb classic guitar player there) and we were told that there was also some live music in the Vista Lounge. The only nights we were still around to see a late night DJ we were in the Vista Lounge… we probably stayed till about 12:30 but how much later than that it carried on I couldn’t tell you. 
It was our first cruise with Princess so I can’t help with information about Elite/platinum etc (although I feel like I saw the vista lounge was reserved so that may have been why!) 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 8:37 AM, minnesotasisu said:

you are on the same cruise as us. We are being joined by two other couples for this cruise so I created this website for them so they could become familiar with Princess Cruises and the Sky Princess. You may also find it useful.

https://sites.google.com/view/caribbeancruise2023/home

Thanks, you have some great information on your website.

We cruised for 20 years with another couple, but sadly we have gone different directions in life and they no longer travel. I'm sure your friends will love this cruise!

See you onboard!

On 1/22/2023 at 11:37 AM, minnesotasisu said:

you are on the same cruise as us. We are being joined by two other couples for this cruise so I created this website for them so they could become familiar with Princess Cruises and the Sky Princess. You may also find it useful.

https://sites.google.com/view/caribbeancruise2023/home

Aloha. Thank you so much for your website!

Chatter on another site (via info at a Captain's Circle party onboard Sky Princess last week) that her dry dock in April/early May this year will result in:

- Bistro Sur le Mer is being turned into Crooners Bar ,

- The bar at Crown Grill being renamed to Wheelhouse Bar

- New carpets and furniture

Will be interesting to see if this actually happens!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:31 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

No reservations needed for Alfredo's.

Also this is an excellent option for lunch on boarding day. Usually not crowded at all for 1st day. as people find out it exists it gets busy later on in cruise.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, christraveller said:

It looks like the app is used to sign in for twice daily housekeeping. Does the cabin staff leave chocolates on the pillow, or should I add that to the packing list?

I think you will find that they just automatically do housekeeping twice without asking.  And...no more chocolates! 🙄