Mexican Food on RCCL Ships (Specifically Tacos)

Ret MP

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

A person who is 74 was born in the 1940’s.Count the decades:

1940’s,50’s,60’s ,70’s ,80’s

1990’s,2000’,2010 and 2020’s -Nine decades.

Yep, you are counting the whole decade you were born in, no matter when you were born in it, and the decade you are in no matter when your birthday is in that decade.  

Example:  If I'm 2 day old, I was born on December 31st, 2022 and today is Jan 1st, 2023, I've lived in 2 decades.  3 decades if it's Jan1st if it's 2024, but I'm only 367 days old.  And according to our system, I'm only 1 year old on Jan 1st 2024.  But, I've completed one year and am now in my 2nd year.  

LOL, it can all be twisted with math and words. LOL

23 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

It was here in the US until Kellogg's came along.  That was the general consensus, corn was for pigs and cattle.  It fattens them up...kinda like us.😉

fairly sure corn was grown for human consumption in North America long before Kelloggs, or pigs or cattle arrived

• Like 2

On 1/23/2023 at 12:43 PM, Tatka said:

P.S. Our son was stationed in Vilseck in 2011-2013. He was supposed to be in Grafenwöhr, but due to last minute change was sent to Vilseck. 🙂

That's exactly what happened to me.  Glad, too.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, Ret MP said:

... I haven't seen a "Fish Taco" in any Americanized Mexican Restaurant off of a RCCL ship.  Which is a good thing.  I don't think I'd like a "Fish Taco" unless it is a "Fish N Chips" type of fish ... 

I've seen fish tacos in LOTS of Mexican restaurants; we also like shrimp tacos.  They're very good.  I also love fish-n-chips, but they are nothing like fish tacos.  I'd have a hard time choosing between the two meals.  

On 1/22/2023 at 1:45 PM, Kellie in Texas said:

@Ret MPif you didn't try the fish tacos on the ship, here's the difference: a crispy taco is what most people think about when you say tacos -- a crispy corn taco shell with seasoned ground beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and salsa. Fish tacos are most often made with soft corn tortillas, so they are not crispy. They are often some kind of pan-seared or grilled fish -- not breaded fish sticks or fish and chips but fish filets that may be seasoned. Fish tacos (at least in central Texas) are usually served with chopped cabbage, maybe some red onion, sometimes even chopped mango. And then there's breakfast tacos, which are soft flour tortillas with scrambled eggs, cheese, sausage or bacon, maybe some shredded potatoes, and of course, more salsa. 🙂 

That's exactly what I think of when you say fish tacos.  In my experience, the fish is usually spicy, but that spice is offset by the veg. I'll add one thought:  the fish is usually broken up into bite-sized pieces, not served as a whole piece in the shell.  

On 1/22/2023 at 3:51 PM, John&LaLa said:

Sandbar in Cocoa Beach 😁

Screenshot_20230122-154918_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f04e59703a460df04944972b52598ee7.jpg

Grilled, Blackened, or Baja. You can also get shrimp. Awesomeness on Taco Tuesday when they're half price and $3 domestic drafts. Good luck finding a table😉

I know grilled, and I know blackened -- but just what is Baja?  

On 1/23/2023 at 11:52 AM, Ret MP said:

... I'm not savvy enough to have three or four tacos in front of me, all basically the same, and told to taste each and indicate what region of the country(ies) they came from.  Nope, can't do it ... 

I think you're in the majority in this.  I pretty much love all tacos, but I can't discuss their origins intelligently.  Don't much care either.  

The BEST tacos in my area come from ... wait for it ... the Citco Station.  Yes, the gas station.  They have a little restaurant /grill inside, and that's some seriously delicious food.  It's run by a Mexican family, and the tacos aren't what we Americans have come to expect; they're mostly meat with a red sauce or a green sauce on the side -- no lettuce, tomato, sour cream.  When a co-worker first told me to go get tacos from the gas station, I thought she was pulling my leg.  Nope.  Every single day they sell out by 4:00 or 5:00; people literally take off work early to be able to get tacos from this place.  

• Like 1

Up in Alaska {and at home} we eat fish tacos frequently. Bite size pieces of Halibut beer battered and deep fried, soft flour shell, shredded cabbage and cheese , black beans, sour cream and salsa. Wash it down with a Margarita. ORGASMIC!!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Up in Alaska {and at home} we eat fish tacos frequently. Bite size pieces of Halibut beer battered and deep fried, soft flour shell, shredded cabbage and cheese , black beans, sour cream and salsa. Wash it down with a Margarita. ORGASMIC!!!!!

Oh man, here I am on a diet and you are talking/typing like that.  Stooooooop, you're killing me. :classic_biggrin:

On 1/24/2023 at 12:19 PM, BecciBoo said:

Also, If you're in Cozumel, Nachi Cocom has some of the best Fish Tacos ever fresh out of the water!

We always have lunch at Pancho's Backyard whenever we are in Cozumel.   My wife loves their tortillas and I am a big fan of their large margarita!  Their fish taco's are also excellent. 

That being said, the best fish taco's I have had were in 1973 at Rubio's in San Diego, the original location near old town, not the newer locations. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 1

Irma's at Deming, NM some good MX food and we came from the CA central valley with a lot of great MX food places.  We are now living in Baja California, MX with plenty of fish taco places I can see from my balcony window.  But when we drive to our house in San Antonio; Deming is our waypoint.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Irma's at Deming, NM some good MX food and we came from the CA central valley with a lot of great MX food places.  We are now living in Baja California, MX with plenty of fish taco places I can see from my balcony window.  But when we drive to our house in San Antonio; Deming is our waypoint.  

Where do you cross. We usually cross at Tacate,  tried once to go south  thru San Felipe. The road was no good  

On 1/22/2023 at 1:09 PM, Ret MP said:

I'm a huge huge huge fan of Mexican Food, Americanized Mexican Food.

Avoid the El Loco Fresh. I would rate it below Taco Bell if I'm being honest, at least the one on Symphony last month. BlueIguana on Carnival Mardi Gras was so much better. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Avoid the El Loco Fresh. I would rate it below Taco Bell if I'm being honest, at least the one on Symphony last month. BlueIguana on Carnival Mardi Gras was so much better. 

This isn't directed directly towards you @WheresWalter.  You just happened to bring up the subject.  And your experience is your experience.  

We were on the Symphony just after she was active for 6 months to a year.  El Loco Fresh was kinda new to the system then.  We found it to be limited in it's verity of options. But, I don't have anything bad to say about the quality of food or its teste.   On a few cruises on Rustbucket Cruise Lines, and a few occasions to visit the Blueiguana the food was tasty but the condiment bar was always a mess and the less that appropriate handling of food by too many, not all passengers was inexcusable. Staff/crew doing nothing about it and not cleaning it up, not for a long time after it needed to be cleaned up.

Does it happen on RCCL's condiment bars?  I'm sure it does. But, other than kids doing it, I haven't observed adults hand pick things off of the bar(s) and in some cases taste and then return the item(s). 

These are my experiences, they don't have to be anybody else's.  These are my opinions, they don't have to be anybody else's.  

BTW, the food at the El Loco Fresh could be great today as the management could have changed, the crew may have changed, the kitchen staff could have changed.  So, my take is, I don't blame the ship or venue.  Everything on a cruise ship changes, often.  

On 1/26/2023 at 5:13 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Where do you cross. We usually cross at Tacate,  tried once to go south  thru San Felipe. The road was no good  

We cross either at Otay or San Yisdro.  We use our Global Entry and most days it's fairly quick.  I don't think Tecate has GE and isn't open 24/7.  

On 1/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, Ret MP said:

I'm a huge huge huge fan of Mexican Food, Americanized Mexican Food.  But, I only started eating Mexican Food in 1980 when I got stationed at Ft. Hood, TX., we used to go to a great Mexican Restaurant in Temple, TX., The Monterrey House.  I've traveled and lived all around the Southwest.  Including New Mexico.  That's the back story.

On my first cruise on a Royal ship was Oasis of the Seas in circa 2017.  On the menu was "Fish Tacos.  Never heard of a "Fish Taco" before that.  Have I lived a sheltered Mexican Food life and they have always existed in the U.S. Mexican Food Restaurant Market or is/was it an RCCL innovation?  Our local two or three Mexican Restaurants don't have 'em.  I haven't seen a "Fish Taco" in any Americanized Mexican Restaurant off of a RCCL ship.  Which is a good thing.  I don't think I'd like a "Fish Taco" unless it is a "Fish N Chips" type of fish.  

This is an important subject so please take it seriously.   :classic_rolleyes:  :classic_laugh:

I'm a southern California girl.  We have access to every variation of fish taco, at most, if not all, of our plethora of Mexican restaurants.  You can even get some delicious fish tacos at chains such as Rubios.  It is also easy enough to make your own.  That said, you will not find great Mexican food on cruise ships...but that's just my opinion. But, many people do love it- I put that down to not having the access that we do here.  And that's a good thing.  Bon appetit! 🌮🍺

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

On a few cruises on Rustbucket Cruise Lines, and a few occasions to visit the Blueiguana the food was tasty but the condiment bar was always a mess and the less that appropriate handling of food by too many, not all passengers was inexcusable

Witnessed multiple guests doing the hand grab thing in the Windjammer and putting things back in December. You can have a bias towards Carnival and that's fine but bad passengers exist on every cruise line. We've sailed NCL, Disney, RCCL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Virgin, HAL and the hand grabbers are everywhere at the buffets and anywhere self serve exists. This is why I wish all buffets were served by the staff as they were when we first started re-sailing. 

6 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Witnessed multiple guests doing the hand grab thing in the Windjammer and putting things back in December. You can have a bias towards Carnival and that's fine but bad passengers exist on every cruise line. We've sailed NCL, Disney, RCCL, Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, Virgin, HAL and the hand grabbers are everywhere at the buffets and anywhere self serve exists. This is why I wish all buffets were served by the staff as they were when we first started re-sailing. 

I hope you read this in my post: 

"Does it happen on RCCL's condiment bars?  I'm sure it does. But, other than kids doing it, I haven't observed adults hand pick things off of the bar(s) and in some cases taste and then return the item(s)". 

AND

"This isn't directed directly towards you @WheresWalter". 

You're damn right I have "bias" towards Rustbucket!  However, if the same things happened to me on any other cruise lines (I've only experienced Rustbucket and RCCL), I'd be "bias" towards them too.   Fortunately, so far I haven't experienced the same things, or to the scale of what I've witnessed on Rustbucket.  If RCCL gets to that level and I experience it, I'll turn on RCCL as well.  But, I'm just a little guy, I can't change the world.  But, I can try and I can feel good about it.  Nobody else has to participate in my journey. 

Servers at a buffet, I disagree, if you don't serve yourself, it ain't a real buffet.  If I want 10 or 15 pieces of bacon or links or anything, for example, I don't want to have to ask 3 or 4 times for more and/or I don't want to have to return to the buffet 3 or 4 times to get my desired quantity, of anything.  If I only want just a little scrambled eggs and only the well done eggs or wet eggs or whatever, I don't want to explain it to someone that probably doesn't fully understand my language, etc.   There are reasons why there is a lure to buffets, one of which is the "self serve' aspects of it.  Servers at the buffet (other than the carving station, cooked to order station, et al) is a ramification of the COVID era.  Let's get over it.  

On 1/26/2023 at 7:51 AM, DaKahuna said:

That being said, the best fish taco's I have had were in 1973 at Rubio's in San Diego, the original location near old town, not the newer locations. 

I used to work next door to the original Rubio's! All this talk about Tex-Mex and other places that have fish tacos. Fish tacos in the US got its start in Southern California. Baja style is breaded and deep fried.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, Ret MP said:

I'm a huge huge huge fan of Mexican Food, Americanized Mexican Food.  But, I only started eating Mexican Food in 1980 when I got stationed at Ft. Hood, TX., we used to go to a great Mexican Restaurant in Temple, TX., The Monterrey House.  I've traveled and lived all around the Southwest.  Including New Mexico.  That's the back story.

On my first cruise on a Royal ship was Oasis of the Seas in circa 2017.  On the menu was "Fish Tacos.  Never heard of a "Fish Taco" before that.  Have I lived a sheltered Mexican Food life and they have always existed in the U.S. Mexican Food Restaurant Market or is/was it an RCCL innovation?  Our local two or three Mexican Restaurants don't have 'em.  I haven't seen a "Fish Taco" in any Americanized Mexican Restaurant off of a RCCL ship.  Which is a good thing.  I don't think I'd like a "Fish Taco" unless it is a "Fish N Chips" type of fish.  

This is an important subject so please take it seriously.   :classic_rolleyes:  :classic_laugh:

Fish tacos are a west coast thing. California and Baja mostly. The fish can be grilled or breaded and fried. Quality varies greatly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Z0nker said:

Fish tacos are a west coast thing. California and Baja mostly. The fish can be grilled or breaded and fried. Quality varies greatly. 

Had some fantastic fried fish, made with cod, tacos with homemade corn tortillas a few years ago in Kensington   south London. Went in as it was a takeaway fish and chips, I could smell the corn tortillas cooking. Had fish and chips or fish tacos everyday for three days.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Never could tolerate what California does to mexican food!  I have relatives in AZ and NM, in my opinion there is CalMex, SouthWestMex, i.e.AZ & NM, and TexMex.  I guess you always prefer what you grow up with.  But I do like the SouthWest Mex. Love the red sauce and green sauce going on there, but it doesn't compare with our TexMex.  I have also never been a fan of fish tacos, although I'll eat them.  I like street tacos, ala San Antonio street food and Sandra's Cantina..OMG.  I'll eat downtown at Cadillac Bar and Mi Tierras but I consider it tourist food.