HUGE Price Drops on X Right Now

Cruzinforpeace***

Friends cruised on Summit from NJ to Bermuda last July.  The ship was at about 50% capacity.  The following 6 cruises were sold out.  I love to cruise, but unless I lived close to Newark a cruise to only Bermuda?  Then 2 nights in Bermuda?

Not sure this is representative of what is happening.

If you are saving anything with the current offers and prices, tbh your previous price was even more ridiculous than the rates now.

Celebrity are reaching luxury cruise line price levels. Celebrity are good - really good... but not luxury level good.

8 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

Actually it looked lower in all categories on all July cruises to Bermuda from Cape

Liberty 

Not the July 16 one. Rates are the same - maybe the interiors are cheaper, but the rest are the same. I looked on an incognito browser yesterday with NO history of looking at cruises.

17 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I just saved $500 more on a July Summit cruise I booked months ago. I received the last discount on 1/10.  It was originally $4967.00  when I first booked in November and now it’s $4163.00 including tips and vacation protection and a $400 OBC (fully refundable deposit rate) .  Shocked to see such deep discounts even during “wave season”. I do believe there are cancellations due to the food cuts and new charges/increases on board.  Looks like they’re having a tough time filling the Summit during peak season.  Wonder if the rest of the fleet is as deeply discounted.  We still may cancel if things don’t change for the better, even with the basement prices.

I should also add this rate included 3 passengers.

18 hours ago, Cruzinforpeace*** said:

I just saved $500 more on a July Summit cruise I booked months ago. I received the last discount on 1/10.  It was originally $4967.00  when I first booked in November and now it’s $4163.00 including tips and vacation protection and a $400 OBC (fully refundable deposit rate) .  Shocked to see such deep discounts even during “wave season”. I do believe there are cancellations due to the food cuts and new charges/increases on board.  Looks like they’re having a tough time filling the Summit during peak season.  Wonder if the rest of the fleet is as deeply discounted.  We still may cancel if things don’t change for the better, even with the basement prices.

Thank you!  I have a friend with a June sailing on the Summit.  They are in an OV.  Thanks to your post they saved $$.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Celebrity are reaching luxury cruise line price levels. Celebrity are good - really good... but not luxury level good.

This!  Especially in the Retreat--at the Oceania and sometimes even Silversea price point. Crazy.  I just can't bring myself to pay $8k for a SS to Bermuda.  I should be able to get a CS for that price.....'should' being the operative word.

20 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

This!  Especially in the Retreat--at the Oceania and sometimes even Silversea price point. Crazy.  I just can't bring myself to pay $8k for a SS to Bermuda.  I should be able to get a CS for that price.....'should' being the operative word.

Some 11 night Med cruises are now 7-8 k in a regular veranda stateroom. Ridiculous! 
We booked cruises for reasonable prices until mid 2024. We’ll see after… 

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

Some 11 night Med cruises are now 7-8 k in a regular veranda stateroom

That's around what I paid for a regular veranda on 12 night Summit NJ to Iceland this coming August. Even crazier, they want $20k... for a Sky Suite. I could have done Oceania NYC to Reykjavik in a PH for thousands less than that but Celebrity has the better itinerary for me.

All this goes back to "what the traffic will bear" The definition of That is -"The Maximum amount that customers are willing to Pay"

It's  what happened to Used Cars Prices  during  Covid when the lack of computer chips to build New Cars  sent the price of Used Cars skyrocketing. I bought a new car in June 2020 when the dealer took my offer of $5000 Off sticker price and 2 years later, he called and offered me More than I paid for it.

Thats another example of WTTWB.

The point is the resurgent Demand for Cruising and the Massive Debt that the Cruise industry took on to Survive is creating a marketplace that has changed the dynamic of cruise pricing.

Things like the reduced levels of cruise Content  like Cabin cleaning, Meal choices and Gratuity increases were all bound to happen.

Some of us could see this coming and acted preemptively.  Probably the best cost saving tactic for the near future will be watching the 90 day Ticker for reduced prices closer to sailing but probably with fewer options for cabin choice?

Also I think MSC can offer low Basic Cruise fares because it is a privately owned company with deep pockets and probably not saddled with Loan Debt to service?

Edited by D. B.
added content.
  • Haha 1

Well -- With the exception of an upcoming B2B2B2B which is past final payment date (I never check cruise fares on cruises past final payment) I checked our upcoming cruises.  

We have a B2B2B in the fall of 2023 which is from Civitavecchia to Sydney.  All segments significantly higher in price than what we booked.

The B2B Asia pair in the spring of 2024 also significantly higher.

The North America to Iceland B2B in August of 2024 is also significantly higher.

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

That's around what I paid for a regular veranda on 12 night Summit NJ to Iceland this coming August. Even crazier, they want $20k... for a Sky Suite. I could have done Oceania NYC to Reykjavik in a PH for thousands less than that but Celebrity has the better itinerary for me.

You should check out Viking Ocean pricing for that route, they also go 'around' Iceland rather than just to Reyk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

You should check out Viking Ocean pricing for that route, they also go 'around' Iceland rather than just to Reyk.

Thanks. Unfortunately I’m pretty locked in to what I have between flights and private tours. Booking this trip was a “carpe diem” moment of weakness, possibly fueled by a little bit of alcohol and definitely not enough research. I should have read more before pulling the trigger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Booking this trip was a “carpe diem” moment of weakness, possibly fueled by a little bit of alcohol and definitely not enough research.

The good news is that two wrongs can make a right...just continue that alcohol-fueled carpe diem mindset and have a great trip!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

The good news is that two wrongs can make a right...just continue that alcohol-fueled carpe diem mindset and have a great trip!

Thanks, and I just re-read what I wrote above and it made it sound like I have regrets. To be clear, I don't. I haven't regretted booking that cruise--not even for a second.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Thanks, and I just re-read what I wrote above and it made it sound like I have regrets. To be clear, I don't. I haven't regretted booking that cruise--not even for a second.

I would have been really surprised if you regretted it...I didn't read it that way...

• Thanks 1