Vaping on quantum of the seas

Kitalion

5 minutes ago, Kitalion said:

Well I am simply suggesting that it’s happening anyway and my experience has been that it’s not being enforced on at least one ship/line.  The reason for it not being enforced because I think the cruise lines can’t be bothered taking harsh actions against someone for vaping in their private cabin - They would probably not win in a court and they know it 🙂

However I do promise that on our next upcoming cruise if we do get shunted off at some random port I will be sure to let everyone here know - but I cannot see that ever happening to be honest.  whilst some vapes are dodgy, made god knows where, and do have dubious ingredients and are illegal to supply in Australia -  Having a legitimate prescription by a doctor along with a device approved and dispensed by a pharmacist - it is not the same at all.  They need to be thought of and treated differently.

I would happily be a test case and actually kind of I hope I do get kicked off the cruise for simply being in a cabin where someone is using a device prescribed and supplied under Australian law by the same cruise line who doesn’t provide an alternate area except around smokers which is harmful to the success of a someone trying to stop smoking.  If that’s what it takes to bring light to the issue and have the rules formally reflect what is happening anyway - I’m happy to do it.   Im not sure id be so confident in other jurisdictions but can’t see any action being taken against us on a cruise operating round trip from Australia - will make for a great post though if it does tho I’m sure!!!  My friend is also planning on writing to the cruise line a head of time to advise of her situation with the supporting evidence and it will be very interesting to see what the response will be.  🙂

Humm... I would not bet against Royal if they decided to force the issue. You knew the rules and you signed the contract. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kitalion said:

Well I am simply suggesting that it’s happening anyway and my experience has been that it’s not being enforced on at least one ship/line.  The reason for it not being enforced because I think the cruise lines can’t be bothered taking harsh actions against someone for vaping in their private cabin - They would probably not win in a court and they know it 🙂

However I do promise that on our next upcoming cruise if we do get shunted off at some random port I will be sure to let everyone here know - but I cannot see that ever happening to be honest.  whilst some vapes are dodgy, made god knows where, and do have dubious ingredients and are illegal to supply in Australia -  Having a legitimate prescription by a doctor along with a device approved and dispensed by a pharmacist - it is not the same at all.  They need to be thought of and treated differently.

I would happily be a test case and actually kind of I hope I do get kicked off the cruise for simply being in a cabin where someone is using a device prescribed and supplied under Australian law by the same cruise line who doesn’t provide an alternate area except around smokers which is harmful to the success of a someone trying to stop smoking.  If that’s what it takes to bring light to the issue and have the rules formally reflect what is happening anyway - I’m happy to do it.   Im not sure id be so confident in other jurisdictions but can’t see any action being taken against us on a cruise operating round trip from Australia - will make for a great post though if it does tho I’m sure!!!  My friend is also planning on writing to the cruise line a head of time to advise of her situation with the supporting evidence and it will be very interesting to see what the response will be.  🙂

You should read your cruise contract one more time before threatening to "lawyer-up". I would also talk to a "maritime" lawyer and ensure you know the rules of the country where your ship is registered. The rules and laws onboard a ship are completely different than on land. I give you little or no chance of successfully suing them since you were aware of the policies before you boarded.

In my opinion, you should send "all of the prescriptions" and expert medical opinions to RCI before booking your cruise in writing via certified mail and tell them that you plan to "vape" in your stateroom. If you believe so strongly that you are right, why not? If RCI gives you permission, you are good to go.

I give you no odds of winning any court case or obtaining "bad publicity" without previous approval of your intended actions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kitalion said:

In Florida where we live you need a prescription from a doctor for medical marijuana. People can then buy marijuana legally and not get arrested for having it as long as they carry their card - which is their prescription- with them at all times.  But even with that, royal does NOT allow marijuana to be brought on a ship! Of course people do break the rule and bring it onboard, just like your friend is doing by vaping in the stateroom. I’m sure some have been taken off the ship when caught.

I think you’re trying to justify your friend breaking the RCCL rule by waving the prescription around and saying this is my “get our of jail free card”.  Royal is a private corp and can make whatever rule they want, and if people choose to ignore the rule by saying I’m special, so I’m allowed, they can nicely ask you to leave. I don’t want to be around any smoke at all, so I kindly ask that your friend follow the rules and smoke where it’s allowed or find another cruise line. It’s not all about them. 

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

In Florida where we live you need a prescription from a doctor for medical marijuana. People can then buy marijuana legally and not get arrested for having it as long as they carry their card - which is their prescription- with them at all times.  But even with that, royal does NOT allow marijuana to be brought on a ship! Of course people do break the rule and bring it onboard, just like your friend is doing by vaping in the stateroom. I’m sure some have been taken off the ship when caught.

I think you’re trying to justify your friend breaking the RCCL rule by waving the prescription around and saying this is my “get our of jail free card”.  Royal is a private corp and can make whatever rule they want, and if people choose to ignore the rule by saying I’m special, so I’m allowed, they can nicely ask you to leave. I don’t want to be around any smoke at all, so I kindly ask that your friend follow the rules and smoke where it’s allowed or find another cruise line. It’s not all about them. 

Agree.

Also agree as long as it's not Celebrity and Princess. 😉

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ret MP said:

When I quit smoking, 2008, I used SNUS,

When I quit I went cold turkey. No nicotine pacifiers required. Whatever was available in 1991. I quit for me and not because everyone else wanted me to. I was surprised how easy it was for me. I never jones for another cigarette. As long as smokers, vapers are doing their thing in the designated smoking areas... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

When I quit I went cold turkey. No nicotine pacifiers required. Whatever was available in 1991. I quit for me and not because everyone else wanted me to. I was surprised how easy it was for me. I never jones for another cigarette. As long as smokers, vapers are doing their thing in the designated smoking areas... 

A few years earlier, I had a medical scare that actually turned out to me nothing.  However, it scared me enough to quit smoking.  I did, I quit on my birthday, cold turkey, for exactly one year.  I went for that year without smoking and no adult beverages.  Well, just before my next birthday, is when I found out that my medical scare was a big nothing sandwich.  I went to the NCO club to celebrate my birthday and medical freedom, had a ton of adult beverages, asked a buddy for a smoke, the rest is history.

So, I felt I needed a crutch for the second attempt.  It worked!  15 years smoke free!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

A few years earlier, I had a medical scare that actually turned out to me nothing.  However, it scared me enough to quit smoking.  I did, I quit on my birthday, cold turkey, for exactly one year.  I went for that year without smoking and no adult beverages.  Well, just before my next birthday, is when I found out that my medical scare was a big nothing sandwich.  I went to the NCO club to celebrate my birthday and medical freedom, had a ton of adult beverages, asked a buddy for a smoke, the rest is history.

So, I felt I needed a crutch for the second attempt.  It worked!  15 years smoke free!

I agree. Everyone's different. I'm in a small group that quit cold turkey and never looked back. I took it one day at a time and as a challenge to myself never to smoke again. Couple of our friends would say, you can drink without smoking. Yep. I never and still don't drink coffee so I never had to have that morning smoke with coffee. But after 32 years of not smoking, I know if I ever light up again I'd be hooked again. I enjoyed smoking.  I congratulate all that have kicked the addiction, no matter how they have to do it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I agree. Everyone's different. I'm in a small group that quit cold turkey and never looked back. I took it one day at a time and as a challenge to myself never to smoke again. Couple of our friends would say, you can drink without smoking. Yep. I never and still don't drink coffee so I never had to have that morning smoke with coffee. But after 32 years of not smoking, I know if I ever light up again I'd be hooked again. I enjoyed smoking.  I congratulate all that have kicked the addiction, no matter how they have to do it. 

And corngrats to you.  Another success story, for sure.

I drink coffee now because I'm not supposed to drink carbonated beverage (but, damnit, I'm still going to have my beer, nobody is going to take that away from me LOL).  Back when I did smoke, I'd have a diet coke (12 to 18 a  day) for breakfast, it was another addiction, and a smoke.  

Again, corngrats!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You should read your cruise contract one more time before threatening to "lawyer-up". I would also talk to a "maritime" lawyer and ensure you know the rules of the country where your ship is registered. The rules and laws onboard a ship are completely different than on land. I give you little or no chance of successfully suing them since you were aware of the policies before you boarded.

In my opinion, you should send "all of the prescriptions" and expert medical opinions to RCI before booking your cruise in writing via certified mail and tell them that you plan to "vape" in your stateroom. If you believe so strongly that you are right, why not? If RCI gives you permission, you are good to go.

I give you no odds of winning any court case or obtaining "bad publicity" without previous approval of your intended actions.

Totally agree....

And if indeed the OP is vaping due to "medical"...which also sounds fishy....there is no reason she can't adhere to the designated smoking areas to do so.  No excuse to vape in the cabin.  None.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

1000% with this. US Laws don't apply on cruise ships, a cursory search of cruise lawyers will tell you that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

1000% with this. US Laws don't apply on cruise ships, a cursory search of cruise lawyers will tell you that. 

I agree with your premise.

But, there are lots of laws of U.S. laws and regulations that apply to cruise ships.  Otherwise, the USCG would not be allowed on them.  The various Board of Health/Health Departments would not be able to inspect them.  If a crime is committed on them (U.S. Based cruises, that is) then there wouldn't be a need to report it to the FBI, which is required.  Law suits for trips and falls wouldn't be tried in U.S. Courts.   

My intent:  Just to clarify. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:22 PM, Ret MP said:

I smoked at home up and until I quit in 2008 I started in circa 1964.  My family, thankfully, suffers no ill effects. My parents smoked just like your adult family did.  So, did I except for the bed part.  I don't remember any fires though.  Lucky I guess.  

Please keep in mind that I said that I don't remember knowing of any cigarettes causing a major fire on a cruise ship and "That doesn't mean that I'm saying there were none, I'm not a student of smoking on cruise ships".

But, you are probably right, there may be lots of incident of minor fires in cabins that were extinguished by the occupants or crew, little to no damage and not reported any higher than the hotel manager or reported to the ship's Captain but not reported any higher.  It wouldn't be great public relations if that info got off the ship and into the public realm

I was born in 1966.  My father died, and my mother stopped smoking in 1982 -- maybe 1983? -- when she started dating my rabidly anti-smoking stepfather.  So 16-17 years of second-hand smoke for me, and I do have lung issues today; any respiratory thing that's going around, I'm the first to catch it.  I don't know how many times I've had Pneumonia; I finally got the shot -- had to pay out of pocket because I wasn't "old enough" to have it.  Totally worth it:  I absolutely love NOT having Pneumonia.  

Agree that no cruise line would willingly report small fires that were put out quickly and easily -- and I think that's what a typical cigarette fire is.  

On 1/26/2023 at 10:27 PM, TopoChico said:

Oh reallyyyyy, you can smell it outside the car….when the windows are closed?  It sounds like he might not be just vaping propylene and glycerine in the car 😂 ...

I can tell you which of my students smoke (or come from homes with heavy smokers).  This is especially easy in the winter, as the stench sticks to their jackets.  

And, yes, I can often tell when someone in a car ahead of us is smoking.  

On 1/27/2023 at 8:05 AM, WheresWalter said:

Vaping is honestly worse than smoking in some regards when you look at the micro plastics in the materials that can be trapped in your lungs. Vape in the smoking sections of the ship or just don't bother cruising. 

I didn't know that vaping contained plastics, but I am wary of the plethora of plastics in our world.  I look for ways to reduce plastic use in my life, but it's so ... everywhere.  

On 1/27/2023 at 8:23 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

My mom smoked probably most of her life…..until she got lung cancer, which by the way she didn’t believe was caused from smoking ...

Yeah, my alcoholic father didn't believe his Cirrhosis of the Liver came from drinking.  He said a small percentage of people get Cirrhosis from other sources, and he was one of those.  

He is right that this happens to some people -- particularly people of Irish descent who have Hemochromatosis.  My family is Irish on both sides and that blood condition runs rampant through our family, but even as a child I knew he was lying to himself.  

Guest TopoChico
On 1/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I was born in 1966.  My father died, and my mother stopped smoking in 1982 -- maybe 1983? -- when she started dating my rabidly anti-smoking stepfather.  So 16-17 years of second-hand smoke for me, and I do have lung issues today; any respiratory thing that's going around, I'm the first to catch it.  I don't know how many times I've had Pneumonia; I finally got the shot -- had to pay out of pocket because I wasn't "old enough" to have it.  Totally worth it:  I absolutely love NOT having Pneumonia.  

Agree that no cruise line would willingly report small fires that were put out quickly and easily -- and I think that's what a typical cigarette fire is.  

I can tell you which of my students smoke (or come from homes with heavy smokers).  This is especially easy in the winter, as the stench sticks to their jackets.  

And, yes, I can often tell when someone in a car ahead of us is smoking.  

I didn't know that vaping contained plastics, but I am wary of the plethora of plastics in our world.  I look for ways to reduce plastic use in my life, but it's so ... everywhere.  

Yeah, my alcoholic father didn't believe his Cirrhosis of the Liver came from drinking.  He said a small percentage of people get Cirrhosis from other sources, and he was one of those.  

He is right that this happens to some people -- particularly people of Irish descent who have Hemochromatosis.  My family is Irish on both sides and that blood condition runs rampant through our family, but even as a child I knew he was lying to himself.  

I was speaking about VAPING.  You quoted me and talked about smoking cigarettes. 

You can absolutely NOT  tell when a person comes from a home where there is vaping. No way. No how. Just Nope. 

Edited by TopoChico

On 1/30/2023 at 12:28 AM, island lady said:

Totally agree....

And if indeed the OP is vaping due to "medical"...which also sounds fishy....there is no reason she can't adhere to the designated smoking areas to do so.  No excuse to vape in the cabin.  None.  

In Australia medical vapes (these are not not any old vape - I stress) are prescribed by DOCTORS to patients for smoking cessation.  Under the law in Australia.  It’s legal and is part Austalias commitment to becoming a smoke free (tobacco) country.  These vapes are medical devices and can only be acquired on prescription from a PHARMACIST! (I point out that this is nothing like marijuna dispensaries - so don’t even bring it up). The attitude seems to be in this forum that if it doesn’t happen in the USA and if its not advertised on US television then it can’t be right or it just couldn’t be possible.  OMG there is a world outside of the US.   In Australia, medical doctors also prescribe rehabilitating heroin addicts under their care MEthODONE on prescription dispensed by a PHARMACIST.  We don’t tell rehabilitating heroin addicts to go take their medication in a room full of people shooting up heroin - why should we tell people with medically prescribed vapes who are actively trying to cease smoking tobacco to use their medical vapes in a room full of smokers?????

Edited by Kitalion

On 1/30/2023 at 12:28 AM, island lady said:

Totally agree....

I’ve just noticed in ur signature block that you’re on Serenade of the Seas for the first leg - I’ll be sure to invite you to the cloud chasing party in our cabin!!! (I couldn’t resist - its in my Australian DNA to “take the piss”.  Look it up if you don’t understand that slang).  We are well on the way to getting it confirmed in writing that my dear travel companion can use her medically prescribed vape in the cabin.  Happy sailing!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 10:56 PM, Kitalion said:

Just off quantum of the seas.  I can definitely attest that they do not enforce the no vaping (e cigs) in cabins.  My best friend and I shared a balcony room and she vaped the entire week in the room (not on the balcony or anywhere else).  I didn’t mind - I kind of like the very subtle smell.  No alarms went off or anything as the smoke deter was not set off by the very small amount of vape. AND the room attendant even saw her do it and he said as long as she doesn’t do it anywhere else like on the balcony shell be fine!!!!  So, if you have a low smoke, low smell vape you are more than likely going to be fine vaping in your cabin.  Discrete is the word tho. 🙂

Your body; your lungs; your decision.  Me? I grew up with 2nd hand smoke until I was 18, so I'll pass on the vaping cabin mate.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pcur said:

Your body; your lungs; your decision.  Me? I grew up with 2nd hand smoke until I was 18, so I'll pass on the vaping cabin mate.

I also grew up with second hand smoke.  Which is why I support vaping and especially the medical vapes prescribed in Australia.  It isn’t smoking.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kitalion said:

In Australia medical vapes (these are not not any old vape - I stress) are prescribed by DOCTORS to patients for smoking cessation.  Under the law in Australia.  It’s legal and is part Austalias commitment to becoming a smoke free (tobacco) country.  These vapes are medical devices and can only be acquired on prescription from a PHARMACIST! (I point out that this is nothing like marijuna dispensaries - so don’t even bring it up). The attitude seems to be in this forum that if it doesn’t happen in the USA and if its not advertised on US television then it can’t be right or it just couldn’t be possible.  OMG there is a world outside of the US.   In Australia, medical doctors also prescribe rehabilitating heroin addicts under their care MEthODONE on prescription dispensed by a PHARMACIST.  We don’t tell rehabilitating heroin addicts to go take their medication in a room full of people shooting up heroin - why should we tell people with medically prescribed vapes who are actively trying to cease smoking tobacco to use their medical vapes in a room full of smokers?????

Once again, Vaping in your cabin is against the rules.   There are designated smoking areas around the ship for your use.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kitalion said:

In Australia medical vapes (these are not not any old vape - I stress) are prescribed by DOCTORS to patients for smoking cessation.  Under the law in Australia.  It’s legal and is part Austalias commitment to becoming a smoke free (tobacco) country.  These vapes are medical devices and can only be acquired on prescription from a PHARMACIST! (I point out that this is nothing like marijuna dispensaries - so don’t even bring it up). 

That's not the way it is.

Due to early concerns about their safety, any ecigarette containing nicotine was moved to prescription only status, so it no longer could be legally sold in shops and other retailers. This change wasn't anything to do with a "commitment to become a tobacco free country" but to restrict access to them. So yes, legally, that is now the only way it can be acquired, but that's to give a remnant of justification to use one, given uncertainty on safety, not that it's recommended or approved.

In fact, not a single e-cigarette has been medically approved by our regulator, again due to the same safety concerns. The regulator is explicit that all e-cigarettes are "unapproved" as they have have not been assessed by the TGA for safety, quality and efficacy. They also explicitly state: "The long-term health risks of unapproved nicotine vaping products, even those that comply with TGO 110, are still unclear and the evidence of their potential efficacy for smoking cessation is currently mixed."

OTOH, other smoking cessation aids such as patches and gums have been assessed for the above, and are Approved.

Thus, for those that want them the only way they can get them is to plead a case from a friendly doctor for a prescription, in spite of the lack of medical evidence, approval or support of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, Ret MP said:

My RCCL invoice still has it on it.  I just got and update yesterday, in fact.  

image.png.dcb9dd224d23601bf1462b6b91b6c552.png

image.thumb.png.199daf7145de8444f93ab4fba2cc7d31.png

Not that I agree with it or plan to obey it.

So it's "OK" to disobey "rules" because you don't agree with them?    And if you use the argument about Royal not enforcing the dress code, if they don't enforce "no vaping in cabins", what's the difference? 

12 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So it's "OK" to disobey "rules" because you don't agree with them?    And if you use the argument about Royal not enforcing the dress code, if they don't enforce "no vaping in cabins", what's the difference? 

1. Apples and Oranges argument.

A. When guests do not dress according to a dress code, my potential for having that violation affect my health (except my eyesight 🤔) is nonexistent.

B. There have been no long-term studies of the effects of vapor particulate on those who inhale secondhand vapor. The possibility of my health being affected by secondhand vapor does exist.

Lack of cruise etiquette, such as chair hogs, dress code violations, etc., etc., does not affect my health. 

You are grasping at straws to justify your actions. 

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
grammar
  • Like 1