How are airports doing now?

lesters

There was a post specific to Pearson but it’s divulged into COVID status checks so I am trying a fresh post!

My daughter leaves for Ottawa on Friday via westjet for the weekend (not cruise related but asking) and we leave next Saturday for Orlando via Toronto for our cruise out of Miami. 

AirTags are in place and I am checking bags.  Just not manageable otherwise.  

Any recent experiences?  I haven’t heard or seen pictures of mass chaos lately so hoping things have improved!

We were leaving from Toronto to LA (West Jet) on Dec 30th when all the chaos was happening...went out and bought carry on cases as we didn't want any issues for our cruise. Going they said they couldn't guarantee checked luggage would be on the plane and everyone had carry on.

Coming back when we walked through the baggage area at Toronto there were still masses of suitcases lying around. Not heard of any major issues lately but who knows. Air tags sound like a good idea.

I'm a firm believer in AirTags, but this story and several similar ones suggest that they don't guarantee the return of your bags, even when you tell the airlines where they are: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/what-gives-air-canada-the-right-to-donate-that-luggage-traveller-shocked-lost-baggage-allegedly-obtained-by-charity-1.6243225

• Like 1

I wonder what happens  if you have your  address information inside the bags  as well as outside ?

With the mess they had this year  they are just too lazy to check the bags for I.D. or what

I saw  a story like above where they went to the facility & they would still not give them their bag

• Like 1

I know that the frigid temperatures in December exacerbated the baggage issue here in Calgary because it was just too cold for the baggage handlers to be out on the tarmac. With another polar vortex heading our way, I suspect there will be issues again. 

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm a firm believer in AirTags

We have not tried those yet but all reports seem to be well worth while.  So next time we go travelling we'll get them.  In the meantime, I have always put two labels on our checked bags: one on the top handle and one on the side handle.  Labels do get ripped off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrgabriel said:

I know that the frigid temperatures in December exacerbated the baggage issue here in Calgary because it was just too cold for the baggage handlers to be out on the tarmac. With another polar vortex heading our way, I suspect there will be issues again. 

Lots of other ground crew members have to work outside when the temperature drops. Baggage handlers must have a powerful union if they can refuse to work 'cause it's too cold.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

We have not tried those yet but all reports seem to be well worth while.  So next time we go travelling we'll get them.  In the meantime, I have always put two labels on our checked bags: one on the top handle and one on the side handle.  Labels do get ripped off.

Since I switched to these luggage tags a few years ago, I've never had one go missing. Well worth the low price: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/home/travel/68875-security-style-luggage-tags?item=09A0430

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

I also put  a note inside with cell #/ email address  & itinerary  

if my case has a outside pocket one in there as well

no excuse  for the airline not to reunite a bag  then

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Lots of other ground crew members have to work outside when the temperature drops. Baggage handlers must have a powerful union if they can refuse to work 'cause it's too cold.

The recent Pearson issues were caused by the outdoor use baggage conveyor belts freezing, I believe, rather than an issue with the handlers themselves.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

The recent Pearson issues were caused by the outdoor use baggage conveyor belts freezing, I believe, rather than an issue with the handlers themselves.

Yes, that's true, but the person to whom I was responding was referring to cold weather issues with baggage handlers in Calgary, not Toronto.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

It wasn’t a Union directive, it was a combination of people not showing up and managers having some consideration for thise whose jobs required them to work in -35C temperatures. 

18 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

It wasn’t a Union directive, it was a combination of people not showing up and managers having some consideration for thise whose jobs required them to work in -35C temperatures. 

Judging by the response to my post, I think that@LHT28 understood that my union comment was tongue-in-cheek.

• Haha 1

We have air tags, but these won't stop a bag from disappearing but may help in retrieving it.

We have traveled internationally through Pearson several times over the past 2 months.  We see all the media scandal of what a mess Pearson is/was, but we have not experienced this at all.  We have sailed smoothly through checkin, security, and boarding and had no issues.  

I am not saying that chaos has not happened, but I do believe the media grabs a picture of chaos and then it goes viral, but this is a moment in time.  

3 times through Pearson in the last two months - round trips - and we saw none of this chaos.

Pack necessary one or two days of clothes / shoes in your carry on.  Be prepared for the worst.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We have air tags, but these won't stop a bag from disappearing but may help in retrieving it.

We have traveled internationally through Pearson several times over the past 2 months.  We see all the media scandal of what a mess Pearson is/was, but we have not experienced this at all.  We have sailed smoothly through checkin, security, and boarding and had no issues.  

I am not saying that chaos has not happened, but I do believe the media grabs a picture of chaos and then it goes viral, but this is a moment in time.  

3 times through Pearson in the last two months - round trips - and we saw none of this chaos.

Pack necessary one or two days of clothes / shoes in your carry on.  Be prepared for the worst.

Thank you @CDNPolar for the info I was looking for!   That is exactly our plan.  

On 1/24/2023 at 7:59 AM, lesters said:

There was a post specific to Pearson but it’s divulged into COVID status checks so I am trying a fresh post!

My daughter leaves for Ottawa on Friday via westjet for the weekend (not cruise related but asking) and we leave next Saturday for Orlando via Toronto for our cruise out of Miami. 

AirTags are in place and I am checking bags.  Just not manageable otherwise.  

Any recent experiences?  I haven’t heard or seen pictures of mass chaos lately so hoping things have improved!

We’re expecting snow again before Friday, and around -16 to -19C overnight. The warm weather may cause fog delays, and the snow… so far so good.  Flight Aware is a useful tool as it tracks not only where your plane is currently, but also shows where its flight path originated. Bon voyage. 

• Like 1

We connected through Pearson Jan 7th on our way to San Juan - no real issues other than lines at US CBP preclearance. Made it through in under an hour gate to gate👍

We did not check any bags so cannot comment on that aspect...

• 2 weeks later...

Left for FLL on Monday a couple of weeks ago. Fast and as painless as 4 AM is going to be.

Came back yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. Held on airplane, then Customs packed solid (I wasn't the only person saying "NEXUS is the best $50 I ever spent").

We live in Saskatoon but will be flying from Calgary to Vancouver for our cruise in July. Does anyone have any idea how it's going in Van these days?  We'll only have 1 checked bag but really don't care to be separated from it flying in early the day we sail. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back home after the trips and thought I would share that we had zero problems flying there and back.  Delayed by a few minutes on flights but nothing of note.  Bags all arrived safe and sound and things looked fairly normal in all airports.

Hopefully things continue that way for spring break travels! 

• Like 3

Flew from Halifax via Montreal to Fort Lauderdale 3 days ago, pleased to report that both flights were on time and luggage made it also. Busy in Montreal but used MPC and bypassed a long queue. We flew Air Canada and it is the first time since 2020 that flights were on time. 

• Like 2

Flew YUL-FLL a week ago and returned yesterday. The outbound flight to FLL was mid-day and YUL was deserted, fastest checkin/security experience we've had in years, essentially no waiting at any point up until the pandemonium of boarding.

FLL to YUL was the opposite. Something's amiss at FLL Terminal 2, and Air Canada refuse to let people even check in until 2.5-3 hours before the flight. Delta, in the same terminal, won't let people checking until 2 hours or less before departure. The result is that the pre-check in concourse at T2 is a zoo, with hundreds of people sitting on their suitcases, having arrived to early and unable to check in. Once you actually check in and drop your suitcase(s), security with TSA-Pre-Check is a breeze.