Solo to couple cabin update?

Bxc53

I’m looking to book a cruise next fall as my first solo cruise. The DW has a schedule conflict at the time, but could possibly make it at the last minute .  So, for anyone who has done this or the TA’s that hang out here, is this possible/ common/ easy to convert a solo reservation to a 2 pax in the same cabin? 

27 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

I’m looking to book a cruise next fall as my first solo cruise. The DW has a schedule conflict at the time, but could possibly make it at the last minute .  So, for anyone who has done this or the TA’s that hang out here, is this possible/ common/ easy to convert a solo reservation to a 2 pax in the same cabin? 

Never had an issue in getting a second guest added for just the taxes and fees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have, they repriced my whole cabin. I'd been monitoring the price and it was significantly less, and then *bam* new, inflated, close to end pricing.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

@Ourusualbeachwill know. 

Can book as TBA and name later too. But might not get solo pts. 

I was told that if there's a no show, you do get the points.  Am i mistaken on that?

If that is so, your best bet is to book both of you, and then have your hubby be a no show.  You will get the taxes and port fees back, which is usually (but not always) the difference between a solo fare and a couple fare unless the solo supplement is waived or reduced.

Otherwise, you run the risk of it getting repriced higher to the current price.  Or, a lower price might present itself, and you might get OBC for the difference.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

That is correct.  It changed within the past 6 months

I was told that back in 2019.  There was a slight chance my wife could not join me on an Allure cruise back then and I was told that if she was a no-show, then I would get the bonus points for sailing solo in our room.

Just now, Rogueperson said:

I was told that back in 2019.  There was a slight chance my wife could not join me on an Allure cruise back then and I was told that if she was a no-show, then I would get the bonus points for sailing solo in our room.

I edited my reply as I misread yours.

You no longer get double points for a no show.  Changed recently.

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The lifeboats need to have the capacity.

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

@mjkacmom I was coming to say just that. If you don't book as a couple from the beginning you may not be able to add another guest if the muster station is full. Otherwise, it's super easy you just pay fees & taxes as @Ourusualbeach stated.

This is incorrect. 

Lifeboat/muster capacity is ONLY an issue for third or fourth person added to a room.  Even if booked solo in a double occupancy room, they will always maintain the two-person assignment for that room's lifeboat/muster.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What about studio balcony Ken?

I have studio solo booked on ovation and a friend may want to come.

It was only a $100 deposit,we would have to change cabin .

Would that be a cancellation and rebooking?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I've always been told that a room / category change isn't a cancel/rebook -- if you don't change the sailing date or ship, it's just a room change.  

So you should be able to change from a studio room to a double occupancy room without penalty, then add the second person.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

No extra fees to change cabins on the same sailing, you would just pay the prevailing rate for 2 guests in the new cabin.

You can't have 2 in a studio

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No extra fees to change cabins on the same sailing, you would just pay the prevailing rate for 2 guests in the new cabin.

You can't have 2 in a studio

One more question , I know this is getting technical but you are the man.

It was a C&A promotion for a solo studio balcony.

11 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@brillohead Apologies for providing incorrect information. I was passing along what I was told by a phone rep when I booked as a solo and inquired as to what the process was to add someone. Thanks for the correction.

That's why I always get my info from a reputable travel agent... the phone reps have never even been on a cruise, let alone know all the ins and outs of how bookings happen. 

They've probably only ever run into that situation trying to add on a third/fourth person, and just "assumed" it worked the same way for all rooms.  That's one of the reasons I love Cruise Critic.... so many people have taught me so much about the little details that I couldn't learn on my own!

• Like 3

Just now, Ned11 said:

I got double points when my sister couldn't come last October.

With RCI there's usually three outcomes to any issue: the policy outcome, what most people encounter and the exception - I'll let you figure which one of those you experienced.