Rhine water levels 2023 and similar topics

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Looking good. I think Maxau gauge stay below 750cm. It is 739cm now.

notamermaid

Thankyou for these updates. We leave Amsterdam on 10th for Basel. Hoping there aren't further issues along the way. 

• Like 1

The forecast was spot on. The level at Maxau peaked at 740cm late last night. Now back down to 718cm. The level will remain high but fine. The rainy weather has gone, a dry crisp day today. Some sunshine. Around zero Celsius with me. Hills colder, sheltered towns and other areas of the valley potentially warmer.

notamermaid

• Like 3

The next clouds are sweeping over the Rhine valley and this time they are bringing snow! ❄️

It is not enough to make a snowman but Deutsches Eck has got a white dusting:

deutsches-eck.jpg

Or you can enjoy the feed of the Rüdesheim webcam:

https://www.feratel.com/webcams/deutschland/ruedesheim-am-rhein.html

notamermaid

• Like 4

That did not go as planned... In my post above there should have been a screenshot of a timestamp in the afternoon. I mistakenly copied the link to the photo page. Now you get a regularly updated photo of Deutsches Eck. Sorry.

It snowed more during the evening but in the valley snow has turned to sleet and black ice in parts. Dangerous driving conditions.

I had 1.5cm of snow on my dustbins before it got just that tiny bit too warm for the snow in that sheltered spot to stay.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

That did not go as planned... In my post above there should have been a screenshot of a timestamp in the afternoon. I mistakenly copied the link to the photo page. Now you get a regularly updated photo of Deutsches Eck. Sorry.

It snowed more during the evening but in the valley snow has turned to sleet and black ice in parts. Dangerous driving conditions.

I had 1.5cm of snow on my dustbins before it got just that tiny bit too warm for the snow in that sheltered spot to stay.

notamermaid

Black ice is scary - and I was just reading that studded (spiked) tires have not been permitted in Germany in many years, but I have not driven in the winter in Germany since 1972. My old VW had spiked tires all around when I drove in the winter in the Bayerwald and I could go about anywhere. They were so much help when the freezing fog would coat the asphalt with ice.

• Like 1

These days we have winter tyres on. They help. Every autumn and spring the repair shops and dealers get busy. Good business, but of course you can do it yourself if you have the skill and tools. Could have it done by a friend but it is more convenient to have the car dealer store our summer tyres.

I have just returned from higher ground, but also there the snow has gone. We now have wetting rain.

Rising water levels of note are anticipated but not within 48 hours. Things at Maxau will get interesting - not in a good sense - from the 10th.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The situation at Maxau gauge this morning. Basel is expecting a high volume of water passing through from the 10th. While this is still a bit far into the forecast to know details, the level will most likely rise substantially. At Maxau gauge in the Upper Rhine valley we still have fairly high levels. 652cm means that the area is still marked as being on mild flooding status. A yellow dot on the map, rather than green. The level will most likely rise during the course of 10th. The rise will be substantial but the computer keeps changing its mind as to how high this will be. As we are getting closer to the 10th now, for the time being I can say that the 12th looks to be a decisive day. Hopefully for the good.

Kaub gauge by the way remains on a relative high for this time of year, far above the mean. This is not good for things to come.

But enough of that. Today is Nikolaus! On the patron saint's day children get chocolate, nuts and other nice things in their boots - they have to be clean for that of course, the boots I mean. I have read in past years that river cruise ships on the Rhine have picked up the tradition for the big children. Hope your crew has acted as Nikolaus for you with a tiny present this morning.

notamermaid

• Like 1

According to news/police reports the river at Bacharach in the Rhine Gorge is currently blocked by a tanker. River traffic is suspended. The plan is to pull the ship back into the navigation channel.

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/mainz/tanker-liegt-quer-im-rhein-bacharach-102.html

If I interpret the data correctly (weak signal) on marinetraffic. com a tugboat is at the scene.

notamermaid

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

According to news/police reports the river at Bacharach in the Rhine Gorge is currently blocked by a tanker. River traffic is suspended. The plan is to pull the ship back into the navigation channel.

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/mainz/tanker-liegt-quer-im-rhein-bacharach-102.html

If I interpret the data correctly (weak signal) on marinetraffic. com a tugboat is at the scene.

notamermaid

Wow! In Cologne today and scheduled to be passing through there tomorrow.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Looking at the tug and barge in the video...the current looks quite stiff.  

2 hours ago, 2inSETexas said:

Wow! In Cologne today and scheduled to be passing through there tomorrow.

It really is annoying for those who were scheduled to sail the Rhine Gorge today. Tomorrow looks a bit awkward as regards a morning sailing, but things could go okay. We will see. The problem: the tugboat was unsuccessful. A barge or tanker for relief is now the next option. A "Leichter", meaning here a ship that can have some of the Diesel pumped into its hull, the authorities will need. As of 1.10pm local time (a good hour ago) it was not clear if a ship that fits those requirements could be there in daylight.

Update: https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/rheinland-pfalz/mainz/tanker-liegt-quer-im-rhein-bacharach-102.html

38 minutes ago, moonriver54 said:

Looking at the tug and barge in the video...the current looks quite stiff.  

Yes, the Rhine is fast anyway and the level is relatively high.

notamermaid

Bad news. The ship that is supposed to take the load - Diesel - of the tanker will not arrive before tomorrow.

The traffic jam is already in full swing. Bingen opposite Rüdesheim has 30 ships anchored. Basically, the car park is full...

Ships will now anchor further upstream or if they are sailing upstream anchor at Koblenz and other places. River traffic remains suspended between Bingen and Kaub.

notamermaid

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Bad news. The ship that is supposed to take the load - Diesel - of the tanker will not arrive before tomorrow.

The traffic jam is already in full swing. Bingen opposite Rüdesheim has 30 ships anchored. Basically, the car park is full...

Ships will now anchor further upstream or if they are sailing upstream anchor at Koblenz and other places. River traffic remains suspended between Bingen and Kaub.

notamermaid

My wife and I were fascinated by the amount of shipping traffic on the Rhine during our river cruise in early October.  It was like night and day compared to the Danube during our river cruise last May.  We were told the war in Ukraine had essentially shut down most shipping on the Danube because nobody wanted to risk passing through the Black Sea that the Danube flows in to.  So almost all the traffic we saw on the Danube was other river cruise ships!  The video below was taken during our "Rhine Gorge" day heading north towards Amsterdam.

Edited by moonriver54
Added Rhine Gorge video.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

notamermaid

Cant catch a break this year

drought, flood, unscheduled disassembly of a lock gate, now this.

8 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

Cant catch a break this year

drought, flood, unscheduled disassembly of a lock gate, now this.

And these are only the things I report. I have left out the minor mishaps.

Depending on how this goes tomorrow, there may have to be a fast run for the odd ship to Basel before the level gets too high. I look at Maxau gauge forecast twice a day. Even the best case scenario is not looking too brilliant. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

notamermaid

You'd think rising water would make it easier to free the ship....hell for it not to have gotten stuck in the first place.

the article says only the stern is in the channel, isnt the Rhine even through there multiple lanes?

Obviously what I remember coming up on deck and seeing ships 6 wide isn't the Gorge but still....

The "car park" at Bingen and Rüdesheim:

image.thumb.png.8258ab03aa3d8ecbdbe671947f31e798.png

A bit enlarged, just Bingen:

image.thumb.png.b045ff8b7498cb06b961b75f7b74eada.png

Viking has a rare appearance at Bingen with the Viking Ve.

You can look up the Bingen dock with the Viking Ve at the far left corner in the webcam here:

https://heimatzeithotels.panomax.com/bingen

As this is a webcam that archives the material you can go back to this tomorrow for example.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

the article says only the stern is in the channel, isnt the Rhine even through there multiple lanes?

I think it is one up and down in that area, further on there is a traffic lights system. It is quite narrow, but I admit I am bit surprised the authorities do not allow slow sailing past of one ship at a time. It must be too dangerous, especially during the rescue effort.

notamermaid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I think it is one up and down in that area, further on there is a traffic lights system. It is quite narrow, but I admit I am bit surprised the authorities do not allow slow sailing past of one ship at a time. It must be too dangerous, especially during the rescue effort.

notamermaid

Having spent several years aboard ships in the US Navy...I view river cruises much the same as I did deployments in Navy.  They're an adventure.  An itinerary is merely the place where you begin the adventure.  The itinerary invariably changes, adding to the adventure.  Go with the flow and enjoy it!  One way or the other, your cruise ship company is going to ensure you get to your original destination.  And you'll have many wonderful stories to share regarding how that evolution occurred!!

Edited by moonriver54
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Having spent several years aboard ships in the US Navy...I view river cruises much the same as I did deployments in Navy.  They're an adventure.  An itinerary is merely the place where you begin the adventure.  The itinerary invariably changes, adding to the adventure.  Go with the flow and enjoy it!  One way or the other, your cruise ship company is going to ensure you get to your original destination.  And you'll have many wonderful stories to share regarding how that evolution occurred!!

We have just reached Lahnstein, and are now moored.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

I guess when you book a cruise to see Christmas markets along the way, the destination isn't the goal of many who book a cruise. 

As water is fluid and apart when frozen always in motion - moonriver54 has hit the mooring buoy on the head it’s all an adventure so you have to go with the flow. Looking at the angle of that barge its length and load I’m just wondering if they are concerned it might break its back. Fingers crossed they sort it soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Great. We are supposed to sail on Viking from Amsterdam on Kara. Looks like it's parked and stuck at Rudesheim. 

I am afraid so.

Water levels are high but fine. Rise at Basel and Maxau still expected for the 10th and 11th respectively.

The ship has arrived at Bacharach to lighten the tanker. The rescue operation has started. As per news report of an hour ago things are going well. River traffic remains suspended till the tanker is completely freed.

notamermaid

• Like 1