Motion sickness medications thoughts and insights

slidebite

I know motion sickness has been touched on in the past, but I thought it might be worthwhile revisiting especially since we have a good mix of posters from other countries here.

I've heard that a UK drug called Stugeron is quite effective and sworn some say its almost magic its so good. Anyone here familiar with it? Comparison to, say Gravol/Dramaine? The active ingredient does seem to be different.

Stugeron=Cinnarizine
Gravol/Dramamine=Dimenhydrinate

Is an equiv to it available in North America?

If not I was thinking we *might* be able to buy some in Bermuda (2-3) days into our cruise in a couple months trip (assuming its over the counter and not a script?) But if we can get something that is the same on this side of the ocean beforehand that would be more ideal. Mrs. Slidebite can be impacted from time to time on rough seas and gravol/dramimine has mixed results. Other home type remedies like ginger and similar seem to be pretty much a placebo to her.

I recommend Meclizine (available as Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula) in the USA.

It is available OTC and can be purchased inexpensively on Amazon (or Walgreens Pharmacy) in the generic form.

The pill is 25mg and you might consider starting with a half pill once per day.  My wife gets drowsy with a full pill, so she uses a half.  Start taking it 24 hours before you get on the ship to give it time to take effect.

I am not familiar with Cinnarizine.  Dimenhydrinate seems to make most people drowsy.

Edited by Nachosdelux

From the UK. Cinnarizine is often prescribed for vertigo but is available over the counter in the UK for seasickness as Stugeron and yes I use it twice a day whilst onboard. I usually have the odd bout of seasickness even with this but, on our recent Caribbean cruise, I also used sea bands which are the accu pressure bands (and it may have been psychosomatic) and despite some quite rocky seas I didn't feel sick once - result 😁😁. They do recommend no alcohol but the print on the leaflet is so small I can't read it 😜😜😜

Edited by Techno123
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, slidebite said:

I've heard that a UK drug called Stugeron is quite effective and sworn some say its almost magic its so good. Anyone here familiar with it? Comparison to, say Gravol/Dramaine? The active ingredient does seem to be different.

Stugeron=Cinnarizine

We tried Stugeron on our 100 passenger expedition ship to Antarctica on our moderately rough Drake Passage crossing.  An acquaintance owned a very large yacht (!) and that is indeed what the crew use if required. We're also in Canada and he just gave us some.  We found it was .... OK.  Not nearly as sedating as Gravol and reasonably effective.

Depending on any meds you're on or any medical conditions,  as mentioned above, NOTHING beats a scopolamine patch. It will make your mouth dry and can affect vision but it was truly remarkable.

On the worst day, out of 100 passengers only about 20 weren't "indisposed" and the patch was a lifesaver. As bottles of alcohol launched from the bar and went sailing through the air smashing against the wall, we both thought: "Fascinating. We really should be hurling our guts at this point!"

Meclizine is also excellent and superior to Gravol but no longer available in Canada. Not for safety reasons - just not enough of a market.

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

21 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

Meclizine is available for no charge at Reception onboard.

They will give you a couple at a time.

I am a real believer in the generic Motion Sickness meds from WalMart.  They contain Dimenhydrinate Tablets, 50 mg.  They come in bottle of 100 tabs.

I get motion sick quite easily, I even need to be careful in a movie theater with a fast drive scene etc.  The WalMart tabs do not make me dizzy.  I will take one a couple times the first couple of days, and unless the water gets rough I am OK for the rest of the cruise.  But after many sea days I have gotten motion sick for a short period after we stepped on solid ground, so take a tab for that now.

21 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

I recommend Meclizine (available as Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula) in the USA.

Also known as Bonine in USA. Most pharmacies have a generic store brand also. It is OTC.

Agree with @Nachosdelux on taking daily starting 2 or 3 days before boarding (I usually start it on the day I fly out to the port city). If it makes you sleepy, take at night. If it keeps you awake (like me) take in the morning. Continue taking 2 or 3 days after disembarking (I usually start cutting back to half dose when I get home for a couple days).

On 1/27/2023 at 5:29 AM, forgap said:

Scopolamine patches work well cut into quarters and changed every two days.  

I have never heard of cutting the patches. They are tiny, and are worn behind the ear. They work a charm!

2 hours ago, slidebite said:

Thanks, I don't think we'll have a consult with a US doctor in that day so Mrs. will want to stick with something OTC.

I'm editing as I'm writing .... I was going to say just get it at Shoppers, Rexall or Costco but it seems to have been discontinued in Canada this past year. It was for business, not quality or health reasons.  Some pharmacies may still have some old stock ....

image.png.8227b7471b473998906032ba05d1f709.png

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

On 1/26/2023 at 3:18 PM, slidebite said:

I've heard that a UK drug called Stugeron is quite effective

Yes Stugeron (Cinnarizine) is our go-to if rough seas are forecast. As with all motion sickness medications it is best taken in advance; no good waiting until you are feeling queasy.

It is available over the counter in the UK and many other countries but is not available in North America.

I'm a meclizine fan. My brother has a prescription for it for vertigo, but it's sold OTC as Bonine, and there are store brands as well. It was offered free at reception on 2 different cruises we were on, on 2 different cruise lines, when we had high seas for the size of our ship. My husband needed to take it both times. It's the only 2 times he's ever been seasick in his life. We had boated on our own for just over 30 years, including offshore. I started my boating experience with Dramamine which I took for car sickness. As a passenger in a car, drowsiness isn't a bad side effect. But as the only other person onboard our boat, I switched to Bonine since it didn't make me  drowsy. I take it on cruises any time the Captain announces bad weather is likely.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

"I have never heard of cutting the patches."

Transdermal patches should only be cut under the direction of one's healthcare provider. As far as I'm aware, the FDA has approved only only one transdermal medication, Lidoderm, for cutting. These patches are designed with division in mind. Others, including Transderm Scop, are not made for cutting and dosage errors may occur.

• Like 2

I've never been seasick myself, but 2 years ago I developed out of the blue a nasty ocular/vestibular issue which hit me like a ton of bricks. NOT fun.

It gave me appreciation for those who get badly seasick or suffer from vertigo. I do not wish it on anyone.

As someone who deals with serious motion sickness, I use both Dramamine (at night) and Meclizine (daytime).  I can't use the transderm patch because of reactions. 

When the ride becomes very choppy, I also wear an electric band that is called Reliefband.  You wear it on your wrist and it regularly sends electric pulses.  You can change the intensity of the pulses if needed. 

Edited by Post it
  • Like 1