Cabin Stewards Gifts

*Fudge*

Some people still do this, and of course, your steward would graciously accept it, since being courteous  is part of their job. But realize that not everyone likes or can eat chocolate or sweets, and souvenir trinkets from your home will likely go directly in the nearest bin once out of your cabin. 

The best gifts are courtesy, a positive comment card delivered to Guest Relations, and/or an extra tip at the end of your cruise. However on port calls we will usually ask our steward if there is anything we can pick up for them while we are ashore.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, mom says said:

Some people still do this, and of course, your steward would graciously accept it, since being courteous  is part of their job. But realize that not everyone likes or can eat chocolate or sweets, and souvenir trinkets from your home will likely go directly in the nearest bin once out of your cabin. 

The best gifts are courtesy, a positive comment card delivered to Guest Relations, and/or an extra tip at the end of your cruise. However on port calls we will usually ask our steward if there is anything we can pick up for them while we are ashore.

This. Some people treat crew as if they’re pets or little children. They are adult professionals. Be positive and kind but not condescending.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Occasionally , if I know our stateroom attendant plans to go ashore at the port, i will ensure he/she has access to our stateroom early so he/she can get off early. As well I will sometimes give cash and tell them to have lunch ashore on us.   Those things they appreciate .   They don't exactly have hoards of storage room in their cabin for gifts.

• Like 5

I don’t understand why anyone would think bringing “something from home” would be a good idea.  It’s condescending at best.  I don’t get paid in sweets, or hats. or local team tshirts so why should they? Agree with other folks that cash is king. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I agree that cash is best, and certainly go that route.  If a crew member is not going ashore in a port, I try to ask if they need anything from a store.  9 times out of 10 they say no, but occasionally they will ask, and I'm happy to pick up any thing they request.  In that case one knows it's truly something they have a use for. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The only time we ever gave a gift. We were on a cruise that stopped in New York City. Our MDR waiter was not in the group getting shore time so he asked us to get hm an "I ❤️New York" shirt. Not really a gift I suppose, but we declined his offer to pay.

• Like 1

Op I say you do whatever makes you feel good. You certainly don’t need permission or approval from anyone here. If you offer a sweet or something from home that ends up in the trash or more likely, up for grabs among fellow crew, then so be it. You’ll never know but you’ll have the endorphins associated with doing something nice and your steward will be touched that you thought of them. Having said that, a cash tip at the end will go a long way to help line the wallet of a deserving professional as they eek out a living like the rest of us. 

As a retired middle school principal, I can’t tell you how many gifts I’ve received over the years from students, parents, and teachers. I was a professional and certainly nobody’s pet. Did I want/need all those goodies and trinkets?  Lord knows I didn’t. But I was touched by the thought as any gracious and appreciative person would be.  The things I didn’t keep went to our church and local retirement home. Nothing ever went to waste, I can tell you that!  Perhaps your gift is just the thing your steward can’t wait to send off to a family member back home. Bottom line… you just don’t know. An act of kindness in the form of giving should never be discouraged. Do what’s in your heart. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Op I say you do whatever makes you feel good. You certainly don’t need permission or approval from anyone here. If you offer a sweet or something from home that ends up in the trash or more likely, up for grabs among fellow crew, then so be it. You’ll never know but you’ll have the endorphins associated with doing something nice and your steward will be touched that you thought of them. Having said that, a cash tip at the end will go a long way to help line the wallet of a deserving professional as they eek out a living like the rest of us. 

As a retired middle school principal, I can’t tell you how many gifts I’ve received over the years from students, parents, and teachers. I was a professional and certainly nobody’s pet. Did I want/need all those goodies and trinkets?  Lord knows I didn’t. But I was touched by the thought as any gracious and appreciative person would be.  The things I didn’t keep went to our church and local retirement home. Nothing ever went to waste, I can tell you that!  Perhaps your gift is just the thing your steward can’t wait to send off to a family member back home. Bottom line… you just don’t know. An act of kindness in the form of giving should never be discouraged. Do what’s in your heart. 

Some people go out of their way to spend time/money for a custom screened TShirt with their US hometown; at best, they may use it as a rag

It's most likely EXTREMELY expensive to send things back home

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Some people go out of their way to spend time/money for a custom screened TShirt with their US hometown; at best, they may use it as a rag. And that’s their prerogative. It doesn’t diminish the gesture. 

It's most likely EXTREMELY expensive to send things back home

In that case, they can leave it on a crew table for someone else to enjoy. 

I follow a lot of content creators including some that were or are crew, this is what they want:

1)  If you have a say in the hiring process, a land job in the US, Western Europe, etc

2)  CASH

3)  Prepaid wi-fi card

The sad truth is, almost any trinket you give will most likely turn into population via the ships incinerator

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I follow a lot of content creators including some that were or are crew, this is what they want:

1)  If you have a say in the hiring process, a land job in the US, Western Europe, etc

2)  CASH

3)  Prepaid wi-fi card

The sad truth is, almost any trinket you give will most likely turn into population via the ships incinerator

I believe you. But where it ends up isn’t the point of giving. That’s my point. 

pre-paid wifi card is good to know. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

But where it ends up isn’t the point of giving. That’s my point. 

I respectfully disagree. What is the point of giving trash? The point should be to give something meaningful, not meaningless.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, RichYak said:

I respectfully disagree. What is the point of giving trash? The point should be to give something meaningful, not meaningless.

Ok agreed. Maybe I should have said that better. @NutsAboutGolf mentioned that some people go out of their way to make a silkscreen shirt of their home town. While I don’t doubt that happens, I would never do that. If I was entertaining the notion of giving a gift beyond my usual tip, I would make every effort to make sure it was useful and needed (like a wifi card). But it’s a shot in the dark and I might miss. If I miss and it ends up In The incinerator, does that diminish my gesture?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ok agreed. Maybe I should have said that better. @NutsAboutGolf mentioned that some people go out of their way to make a silkscreen shirt of their home town. While I don’t doubt that happens, I would never do that. If I was entertaining the notion of giving a gift beyond my usual tip, I would make every effort to make sure it was useful and needed (like a wifi card). But it’s a shot in the dark and I might miss. If I miss and it ends up In The incinerator, does that diminish my gesture?

It depends on the gesture. A wifi card probably won't end up in the incinerator. A $20 bill definitely won't. A tee shirt from Anytown, USA just might. So skip the tee shirt. Play the odds. Give cash, or something fungible. Skip the cute feel-good items. In other words, if there's a chance it might miss, it's not a worth gift.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

Ignorance is bliss...Odds are any souvenir/trinket anyone gives them will end up in the incinerator.  Main reasons are, the crew quarters are small and crew and change rooms at any time.  They won't send it back home as often it will cost more than the cost of the gift

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 2

Just now, RichYak said:

It depends on the gesture. A wifi card probably won't end up in the incinerator. A $20 bill definitely won't. A tee shirt from Anytown, USA just might. So skip the tee shirt. Play the odds. Give cash, or something fungible. Skip the cute feel-good items.

Agreed!  A very good compromise for someone seeking ideas for gifting to their cabin steward. Personally, I’m just going to stick with cash. 😊

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Deleted

Wasn't calling out any individual, was a generalization.  It should be noted, as one can imagine this has been asked hundreds of times since the beginning of cruising.  Has always been thumbs up to cash and thumbs down to souvenirs

I saw a video from a staff member that emphasized that storage is so limited that a lot of things are useless.  We are from an NBA city, so we have brought Spurs t-shirts or Texas centric t-shirts, but after that video, I'm rethinking it.  We usually leave a healthy tip, too.

Edited by jbcallender