The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday January 31st, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Backward Day, Inspire Your Heart with Art Day, and National Plan for Vacation Day

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.--Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

Meal Suggestion for today - Green Chili Clam Chowder
Drink of the Day - Yellowhammer
Wine of the Day - Black Estate Pinot Noir North Canterbury Home 2020
Destination of the Day - Kodiak Island, Alaska

Eurodam

Cartagena Colombia 07:00 - 13:00

Koningsdam

San Diego, California 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puerto Plata-Amber Cove, Dominicana 09:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 17:00

Oosterdam

Montevideo, Uruguay 07:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 - 23:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 2-06
Edited by Sandi to say Volendam is in Drake Strait destination Dallmann Bay, Antarctica 1/31/23

Zaandam

Cartagena Colombia 12:00 - 18:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Picton, New Zealand 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Drydock Malaysia until 2/2

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Auckland, New Zealand eta 2-02

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLy7qrKVT2fdTTuPeloED1TaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675159889

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJGWeceXv5Ne9l14NuLppWfrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1675160457

Sandi for Roy and Rich

• Like 22
  • Thanks 17

Today's Care and Celebration lists for Roy

Today’s care list:

Tyre Nichols funeral 2/1 RIP

Roy in hospital with pneumonia and low sodium

Luvteaching DH in hospital with infection
Kazu awaiting bone clinic visit & X-rays
StLouisCruisers neighbor Rudy awaiting bypass surgery 1/31

Seasick Sailor recovering from oral surgery

From the rotation:
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement

Marshhawk DH eye issues.

Status of Scrapnana
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Aliaschief leaving for Cancun 1/31
Redneck Bob in Vegas until 2/1
Cruzn single in Hawaii until 1/31
1 day for Kochleffel (Norwegian Getaway 2/1 to 2/6)

4 days for 0106 (Rotterdam 2/4 to 2/15)

7 days for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Sirena 2/7 to 2/19)

DeeniEncinitas, and sailingdutchy (Koningsdam  to 1/31), Cruising sister (Disney Dream to 2/4), lindaler and ottahand7 (Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty ,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  Ahh, I see Roy is up early.  I hope you got some sleep last night.  Probably about as much as I did as I wake up off and on all night long.  I will be waiting for further news from you today and hope it is all good!

It's quite foggy outside and about 50 degrees.  We're not expecting much in the way of weather today so nothing great to talk about there.  As for the Daily today we have several interesting days to celebrate.  Backward Day.  I'll have to think of how to celebrate that.  Maybe wear something backwards?  Doesn't sound too comfortable.  Inspire your heart with art.  I'm not a great artist but appreciate those who are.  And finally national plan for vacation day.  Maybe I'll look for some shore excursions for my summer cruise on Zaandam.  The quote by Seuss is very popular and rightly so.  I wouldn't eat the menu suggestion but DH likes clam chowder.  The drink and wine would be a no from me.  

Today we have Kodiak, Alaska as our port.  It was here twice before on Dec. 5, 2021 and July 18, 2022.  I was busy at a soccer tournament in Dec. 2021 so didn't get any real pictures posted but there were plenty from all of you, so here are the links to those dates so you can all post them again today.  And thank you in advance for the photos you do post because we all enjoy them.

Here is the one photo I posted on July 18, 2022, and why.

Kodiak, Alaska was our port last Dec. 5, 2021 and in looking back I posted one photo late in the day of a darling baby otter we saw.  We had driven home from Orlando on Dec. 5 after the raucous youth soccer nationals down there, which besides July heat may be a good reason we are not down there this week for the nationals.  Too stressful.  Therefore I didn't post a whole large batch of photos of Kodiak. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKLPpnFZpedy0hx7z9eY7kP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1568232859

Prayers for all those listed on our Care list today.  In addition we can always say a prayer for the people of Ukraine who are still fighting for their lives and country.  I'm hoping and praying my neighbor Rudy and his surgeons have a very good day during and after his bypass surgery.  It's been a week since his heart attack but they had such a busy schedule he had to wait this long!  🙏  Cheers for those traveling and cruising and anyone else having a happy event.  🥂  Time to go walk my 2.5 miles.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion.   I’d like to plan a vacation today but I’ll be in the office and the boss would notice.  Although I did book Volendam for 2024 last week, maybe I celebrated early?  We’ve been to today’s port once on the Maasdam.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.309b2b41d0d4a19c5e5bc33078c46000.png

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

Day Backward is Today. Celebrate all Let’s.

Today is our final day to cruise the strip of Los Wageous. We will be heading way south to an unknown museum called the Explosion/Implosion Museum of Las Vegas. It should be a real blast! Included are all the many hotels that have been imploded and the blast from the nuclear testing just north of town. Hope there will be no fallout from our visit. 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

Hope you had a good night Roy.

It's cold and snowy here this morning.  Currently -11°C (13°F). 

Since it's Backward Day, maybe Bertie and I will walk in a different direction than usual.  He'll find someplace different to sniff and make yellow snow.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, not sure about the drink but hope the wine is good.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Good morning and thank you Sandi for getting our daily started for us.   Prayers for all on our Care list, Roy, Jacqui, Kathi and Tana and for Sandi's neighbor Rudy. Prayers for the people of Ukraine. 

We may see land today in the evening. It appears from our ship's location we will approach the South Shetland Islands. We are overcast and the Drake winds remain constant.   Lots of staggering walking around the Lido this morning. 

Our Canaletto dinner was a flop last night. I brought one special bottle of Italian wine from home to enjoy with Osso bucco and brought it there to have Carl or Fernando decant it in advance.  We arrived at 6 for our reservation with Carl there to pour our first glasses.  So far so good.  The only thing is we didn't get our soup until 6:50 and by that time I was checking my watch.  Our fine wine was meant to be enjoyed with our dinner but it was gone when our meal arrived at 7:05.  I asked for a bottle from cellar 2 with a screw cap so we could have a single glass with our osso bucco but another Pinot Noir was delivered so I waved that off.  I had booked and prepaid that dinner before boarding to avoid a dressy night that John is not fond of. They had booked a private party for a private travel company at 5:30. I thought they would have had the decency to tell us to come back at 7 but no they seated us and we had to watch all the meals from that large group be paraded in front of us. I saw they refunded our dinners but it doesn't make up for a special bottle being enjoyed minus food.  I am going to complain on the Navigator next. If they get a large group cancel the others in that time frame.IMG_20230130_185318289_HDR.thumb.jpg.d699ed5a7ca3ca659ca7b2c5c9370ec9.jpg

IMG_20230130_183856327_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230130_191248399_HDR.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Yellowhammer cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Pinnacle® Vodka
1 part Cruzan® Aged Light Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Amaretto
2 parts Orange Juice
2 parts Pineapple Juice
Garnish with Maraschino cherry

Instructions
Build over ice in a tall glass. Stir, garnish and serve.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 7.37.27 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

Sandi, thank you for today’s Report & Daily, map and the Care/Celebration lists. Praying that Roy had a good night, I see that he posted, but hasn’t shared how he is doing - yet. @Seasick Sailor, Joy, hope today is a bit more comfortable for you. 

It is a lovely morning here. 63 and the sun is just about to crest the trees, so it will warm up fast. Off to my annual mammogram then Bindi walks and the gym.  Maybe we will sit out on the pool deck this evening. 

4284E230-7FD3-4361-AB07-83E167EF7B85.jpeg.9af69058f9e8cbb43dbb852e901e517f.jpeg

A917604F-B88C-4E2C-9E7A-D9E914091693.jpeg.ddc52e20f2337c05c31d0ed5668e140d.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support: especially Roy, Jacqui, Kathi, Sarah and Tana. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Get well & stay well everyone!

Black Estate Pinot Noir North Canterbury Home 2020

Another elusive New Zealand entry that sounds lovely and I would love to try it. I could only find info and critic reviews for the 2019 vintage, which works out because there currently are no distributors that ships the 2020 to North America. And you have to go back to the 2018 vintage for North American distributors that ship. The online 2019 price starts at $29.17 before shipping. 

Winemaker Notes

Fire brick hue. Compelling fresh and complex aromas of wild forest berry’s, wild rose petal, and humid earth. Silky mouth coating tannins that gradually melt to reveal rich berry fruits, red current, and spice. The balance gives a clear impression of the soft, fertile and highly mineralized sedimentary clay soils of the Home Vineyard. This is an unfiltered wine with small amounts of sediment. Please allow the bottle to stand and settle before pouring. Decanting will allow maximum expression of aroma and purity of fruit to emerge.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

Nicholas Brown and Penelope Naish are part of the new wave of talent in North Canterbury, making organically farmed wines with minimal intervention. There's a lovely vibrancy of color to this vintage of Pinot, and a raw energy. Oodles of crunchy fresh strawberry notes are backed by cinnamon, clove, flower stalks and stone. The sappy tannins have a surprising bite but an easy, natural presence rather than being oak-driven. There's beautiful fruit purity and an overall cool climate, unadulterated vibe.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 5

Good morning all.  Getting colder here and we will be back to overnight single digits over the weekend.  Makes it a bit harder to get in a walk when temps drop that much.

Prayers for all in need.  Roy — we are all anxiously awaiting the news that you have left the hospital and are home.  Get well!

Starting to think about next voyage at the end of February.  Twin sister making her first trip since Covid.  I had forgotten how much fun it is to plan with someone — clothes, walks off the ship, dinner plans, etc — other than DH.  He’s not much into those things — just goes with the flow.  DS Karen is going through clothes she hasn’t worn in at least 3 years and I am searching for clothes that I haven’t worn in a while since the low carb plan is working for me.  Such fun we are having.

Thanks to all who post.  You are all wonderful.  I never thought I would have a must read daily blog — but here I am!  Have a great day.  Katherine 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

National Plan for Vacation Day

Does it count if I'm starting a vacation? I plan to be off for New York around 10:00 a.m. It is majorly inconvenient that snow fell overnight, but chiefly because I have to take out trash before I leave. The roads will be clear.

I'll pass on clam-anything. Don't think I would like the drink but at least it doesn't claim to be a martini. I would probably like the wine. I haven't been to Kodiak but I see that it's on the itinerary for some TPAC cruises using a northern route, and I'm looking for one for 2024.

1907719283_spacecomments.thumb.jpg.d3f8389fe0ec2ffab6ad265066f48a92.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Does it count if I'm starting a vacation? I plan to be off for New York around 10:00 a.m. It is majorly inconvenient that snow fell overnight, but chiefly because I have to take out trash before I leave. The roads will be clear.

I'll pass on clam-anything. Don't think I would like the drink but at least it doesn't claim to be a martini. I would probably like the wine. I haven't been to Kodiak but I see that it's on the itinerary for some TPAC cruises using a northern route, and I'm looking for one for 2024.

1907719283_spacecomments.thumb.jpg.d3f8389fe0ec2ffab6ad265066f48a92.jpg

Bon Voyage,hope the drive is ok.The snow is so far only on the grass and parked cars and I am about 9 miles north if your ship.

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 21

Thank you Sandi for posting today's lists and reports.

3 interesting days and an excellent quote.

I will give the food and drink a miss but my Fillet Mignon (photo) last night was delicious.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

IMG_20230130_185622.jpg

• Like 23

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily @StLouisCruisers!  Backward day is fun for kids; adults, not so much.  The best I can do is back talkwards - that's where my dyslexia actually helps me.  I'm not an artist, but can knit up a storm, so will inspire my heart with my knitting; currently I'm working on blankets for children and youth who are in foster care.  We've been advised by the hospitals that they have enough "Angel Blankets", so will focus on others in need.

It looks like we'll be waiting for vacation planning, because yesterday we were in touch with a company and have ordered a new door and sidelights for our front entry.  That's going to be approximately the cost of a cruise, so . . . . 

We had a skiff of snow overnight, which means the temperatures have moderated somewhat (at least warmed up enough to snow).  We are expected to have temps in the -25C to -30C for the next couple of days, then it will warm up to more bearable temps.  Yay!  Despite the cold, we went out and bought another supply of Gatorade for DH to help with his leg cramps (when his electrolytes are out of balance, he gets awful cramps), and more food for Sochi.  We are a hardy bunch here on the "frozen tundra"!

Not a lot on the agenda today; DH is going for a haircut before someone mistakes him for an ageing Beatle, my main task is to vacuum and dust.  Our young house-sitter did a good job of keeping the house clean, but, well, you know.  

I like clam chowder and will order it in a restaurant once in a while, but have never made it at home.  We have more leftovers from yesterday, so we'll enjoy a hearty bowl of beef stew and crusty buns again at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need - especially the people of Ukraine who are enduring a seemingly endless barrage of shelling.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations.  Safe travels to those with trips today.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 29

Good morning,

I was up at the crack of dawn today.  My Doctor at the Mayo Clinic had me get blood work this morning at Quest Diagnostics to check the inflammation level.  i was their first customer this morning.  

My doc will have the results by tomorrow.  Meanwhile I am starting on 10 mg of Prednisone to alleviate the symptoms for the PMR.  

On the way home I stopped at the bagel shop and bought some fresh bagels for breakfast.  Now I am just waiting for Jim to wake up.  He has another 10 minutes before I get him out of bed.  I’m hungry.

Thank you @StLouisCruisers Sandi for getting us going this morning with the Daily and the Cares and Celebration lists.   

It looks like Roy @rafinmdis up early, but he has not given us an update on his condition.  Hope we hear good news soon.  

Thank you for all that post here.  You make my day.

Lots to do before the week is over.  Tomorrow we get a new HVAC system.  

Take care everyone.,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 26

Hmmm...  I think Graham and Pauline are on  vacation somewhere.  Maybe onboard a ship.

Thank you everyone for your contributions to the Daily Report! 

It snowed a tiny bit here yesterday.  Nothing that needs to be shoveled though.  

Absolutely no plans for today. 

• Like 23

21 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Bon Voyage,hope the drive is ok.The snow is so far only on the grass and parked cars and I am about 9 miles north if your ship.

Thank you. I think you might be farther north of the Getaway than that, because embarkation is tomorrow. I have a ticket to see Leopoldstadt tonight.

• Like 21

I've only been able to sleep about two hours in my bed...before my shoulder pain forces me to move to a recliner for another few hours...

Yesterday...my new adjustable bed arrived...I put the mattress pad and fitted sheet on...then tried it out...

Only had one problem....I elevated the head and turned on the massage...and didn't want to get out and finish making my bed.....😅

And....success....I slept all night and even had a little massage before getting up this morning...........doesn't cure the shoulder pain...but it sure made things better.....!!!

Thinking of all those going thru tough times right now....take care....
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is cold here.  For some reason, knowing how cold it is outside makes me cold inside, yet the house is the same temperature as it was yesterday.  Maybe I just need to move more.  Nothing much planned for today.  After the gym I plan to hit the grocery store and that is pretty much it.  

Our first recipe comes from Delish, who decided to give me a free article last night when I was looking for recipes.  I hope they gift the rest of you with a free article.   https://www.delish.com/cooking/a38964800/green-chili-clam-chowder-recipe/

144726880_greenchiliclamchowder1.thumb.jpg.2f24fb0dc3f0d8f799f6fb8e8fa6719e.jpg

This recipe adds in the all time favorite, bacon.  It also has you scurrying all over for grass fed ingredients.   I noticed that find sustainably caught clams was crossed out.  https://www.foodrenegade.com/clam-chowder-with-bacon-and-green-chiles/

1383040548_greenchiliclamchowder2.jpg.62b3c1293aaf0c1ff0557bc33f2c587e.jpg

Most of the recipes were the same ones on different pages.  So, we're branching out a bit in this last one to seafood chowder.  It contains more than just clams and looks pretty good!  https://cookingwithcocktailrings.com/green-chili-corn-seafood-chowder/

101530017_greenchiliclamchowder3.jpg.c16ffde0813e4c3b35944cbfe0b90c74.jpg

Here's hoping @rafinmd Roy gets the green light today so he can return home.   Healing thoughts go out to @kazu Jacqui for decreased pain in the elbow.  I hope we get a status update on @Scrapnana Kathi soon.  Bon Voyage to @kochleffel.  Safe travels to NYC today.  Hoping that Tana and Sarah are continuing to improve.  @Seasick Sailor I hope your dental surgery has improved and the pain is gone.  @Cruzin Terri Hope the prednisone does the trick!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 12