On-Ship Massage , How to Politely, yet Firmly, Decline Additional Offers?

LEMJMcC

I've literally stopped going to the spa because of the constant upsell.   I'm not on the ship to address the issues on my back that I am fully aware of and have a physio, chiro, and RMT working on at home.

All I want is to work a couple knots out from the flight and get on with my trip - and the pressure at the end completely undoes all the relaxation from the massage. 

And it's funny because I don't have trouble saying no - but the last woman I had tried to give me a lesson in lactic acid buildup in my muscles...  no ma'am.  You literally don't know what you're talking about, and please don't give people incorrect information like this, it's causing more harm than good and shame on you.  

Never Again

Total opposite of an upsell.

12 hours ago, Daghis said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable when starting the session to set expectations by letting the crew member know that you're aware they're supposed to recommend products but you're really not interested and you thought you'd save them the trouble and time. By acknowledging their situation (it's not like they necessarily want to be upwelling), I think it becomes quite non-confrontational.

Seems a reasonable and considerate approach.

12 hours ago, Daghis said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable when starting the session to set expectations by letting the crew member know that you're aware they're supposed to recommend products but you're really not interested and you thought you'd save them the trouble and time. By acknowledging their situation (it's not like they necessarily want to be upwelling), I think it becomes quite non-confrontational.

While we haven't gone quite that far, we've simply put "no sales pitch please" on our questionnaire, whether it was the old paper ones or the newer tablet based ones. I feel the wording is non-confrontational.

And if we're lucky, we'll get an extra couple minutes of massage that they would have taken up with the sales pitch.  

• Like 1

Had this yesterday on the Adventure…🙄. I told her that I did not have the extra money to keep up the regiment she was suggesting 😬. I had just finished the massage and mini facial..

At the front desk on the way out the receptionist told me that I “qualified “ to meet with the Med doctor to discuss facial rejuvenation 😳. It blew her mind when I declined the special invitation 🤯🤯. Talk about upsell…😡

14 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

There is one decline reason that sales pitches don't have a response for.    "I am really not interested."  Normally people give an excuse thinking that is more polite.   They have a memorized response to every possible excuse.  

NO is shorter and works better

20 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Their tip is already included in the price...

Many passengers tip extra, from what I've read on these boards.  So, the statement should be adjusted to reflect the situation.  For instance, ask that the included tip be removed so a cash gratuity can be paid at the end of the service, and adjust that based on the upsell.

• Like 1

I only had 2 services on RCCL spa.  First was a massage Nov 2021 on the Adventure where the masseuse put something resembling Ben Gay on my back during the massage to remove lactic acid.  It was awful.  I jumped off the massage table and they had to put me in a room with a shower.  My skin was red and stinging for at least 30 minutes after.  I was furious and left.  I went back the next day and tried to get the spa to remove the charge but they wouldn't because I was already 20 minutes into a 50 minute massage.  I had GS take it off.  2nd time was a pedicure in October on the Allure where even though I said I dont want to buy anything, please just paint my toenails, the girl just kept saying you need this and that.  I finally just stopped answering her and started reading my phone.  I don't find the spa relaxing.  I get massages at home.  I had to get a pedicure because we had been vacationing pre cruise and my toenail polish had gotten chipped.  My husband said let's just save 100s and I'll paint your toes next time and give you a massage.  Perhaps he has a point!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

My husband said let's just save 100s and I'll paint your toes next time and give you a massage.  Perhaps he has a point!

Your husband could easily change careers and be a professional negotiator or marriage counselor. Sounds like a win-win situation. Smart Man. 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, sailor moon said:

At the front desk on the way out the receptionist told me that I “qualified “ to meet with the Med doctor to discuss facial rejuvenation 😳.

You should have responded with, "Is something wrong with my face???"

• Like 1

OK, here's an upsell moment that I won't ever forget. I am a very plump (LOL) gal and have trouble walking for long distances and/or standing for a long time, so I sometimes use my scooter or just a cane to alleviate some of "the load". When we were on a ship sitting at Schooner's bar, I had my cane with me. A nice looking man, who works on the ship which I didn't know at the time cause he didn't even introduce himself, said to me, "Excuse me. Are you in pain? I can help you with your pain." I was surprised by his question and replied, "No, I'm not in pain and, after a few more drinks, may need this cane to find my way back to my room!" With that, he left and I later found out that he was one of the people performing acupuncture on the ship! Whew! Avoided that one! I know that some of the specialty restaurants send out staff to upsell but the acupuncture guy was a first for me!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

OK, here's an upsell moment that I won't ever forget. I am a very plump (LOL) gal and have trouble walking for long distances and/or standing for a long time, so I sometimes use my scooter or just a cane to alleviate some of "the load". When we were on a ship sitting at Schooner's bar, I had my cane with me. A nice looking man, who works on the ship which I didn't know at the time cause he didn't even introduce himself, said to me, "Excuse me. Are you in pain? I can help you with your pain." I was surprised by his question and replied, "No, I'm not in pain and, after a few more drinks, may need this cane to find my way back to my room!" With that, he left and I later found out that he was one of the people performing acupuncture on the ship! Whew! Avoided that one! I know that some of the specialty restaurants send out staff to upsell but the acupuncture guy was a first for me!

And your response was spot on. 

• Thanks 1

After a good massage with the goop all over their hands and the hot stones cooling on the bed comes the usual up-sell. Your answer and an easy way out is:  No Thank You, that product in the past has aggravated my  Leprosy.  As your leaving you will hear the Rocks landing in the bottom of the trash can and see your masseuse run for their break and a quick shower.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As long as your wife doesn't have a problem saying no, it's pretty simple.  My wife felt bad saying no and paid $200 for stuff. She said she felt pressured and I said, "did you say no?"  She has seen me say no.  I politely say no, I am not interested and I have never been pressured beyond that.  I told her, "see how easy that is".  She said she felt like a chump LOL.  Now she politely says no and that's it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, time4u2go said:

You should have responded with, "Is something wrong with my face???"

To which they would respond somethink like "no, you have a really exceptionally beautiful face, BUT due to weather, climatechange, aging (whatever) you will need to take care of that face with this special lotion that is actually on sale right now for only $99.99 +tax and 18% excluded gratuites...

But I will not judge anyone that find it hard to resist the sales pitch, my wife went for the "sale" of some face lotion for "only" $70 dollar when she had a leg waxing on Freedom a few years ago... (what ever facelotion has to do with legs, I don't understand..)

• Like 1