New Crystal - the Good, the Bad and the Indifferent

claudiaYVR

34 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Having sailed on the Crystal Symphony July 2008 and enjoyed the Baltics/Russia exploring with them, I did look at the detailed itinerary offerings that are now posted on their new website.  My initial impression was that it was a lots of the "same-old, same-old".  Nothing too much that unique, special or very interesting compared to many of the "same old thing" ports and stops we have done in the past with various cruise lines.  

But, I did find a MUMBAI-SINGAPORE, 13 night, Nov. 8-21, 2023, sailing on the Crystal Symphony that could be of serious interest to fit for a new area of the world where we want to explore.  Silversea does offer a Feb. 11-29, 2024 Mumbai to Singapore, 18 nights, Silver Moon, that is somewhat comparable. This SS India, etc., option is longer, has more port stops, higher price, etc. There are differences, various pro/con factors to consider, but I would seriously compare BOTH good options, if and if.  

My big question?  With nothing "perfect" after the Covid re-start, what will be more predictable and at a higher service level for food, staffing, etc., in comparing the new Crystal versus the more established Silversea??  Where am I more comfortable for the financial risks in putting down the required advance payments?  

Overall, with Crystal only having two ships to cover this very large and diverse world, it is harder to compete against Silversea's larger number of offerings, options and locations.  

Will be watching with interest.  I just tried to call Crystal for more info on the payment requirements/timing on their Mumbai to Singapore late 2023 sailing, but they are only open for calls Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm.  Will try to check back next week.  

What else should I consider in comparing Crystal vs. Silversea for this part of the world on our future, to-do listing?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,097 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

I don't think you compare anything until the New Crystal has sailed.  Right now no one can tell you what it will be like -- they can guess -- but until there is a sailing or two no one can be sure.

BTW -I am on Silversea Mumbai to Athens (Silver Spirit) March 20, 2024 -- finally going to see the Golden Triangle pre cruise.  Very excited

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

Having sailed on the Crystal Symphony July 2008 and enjoyed the Baltics/Russia exploring with them, I did look at the detailed itinerary offerings that are now posted on their new website.  My initial impression was that it was a lots of the "same-old, same-old".  Nothing too much that unique, special or very interesting compared to many of the "same old thing" ports and stops we have done in the past with various cruise lines.  

But, I did find a MUMBAI-SINGAPORE, 13 night, Nov. 8-21, 2023, sailing on the Crystal Symphony that could be of serious interest to fit for a new area of the world where we want to explore.  Silversea does offer a Feb. 11-29, 2024 Mumbai to Singapore, 18 nights, Silver Moon, that is somewhat comparable. This SS India, etc., option is longer, has more port stops, higher price, etc. There are differences, various pro/con factors to consider, but I would seriously compare BOTH good options, if and if.  

My big question?  With nothing "perfect" after the Covid re-start, what will be more predictable and at a higher service level for food, staffing, etc., in comparing the new Crystal versus the more established Silversea??  Where am I more comfortable for the financial risks in putting down the required advance payments?  

Overall, with Crystal only having two ships to cover this very large and diverse world, it is harder to compete against Silversea's larger number of offerings, options and locations.  

Will be watching with interest.  I just tried to call Crystal for more info on the payment requirements/timing on their Mumbai to Singapore late 2023 sailing, but they are only open for calls Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm.  Will try to check back next week.  

What else should I consider in comparing Crystal vs. Silversea for this part of the world on our future, to-do listing?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,097 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Terry,

The Seabourn Encore is in that area March 2024

15 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Terry,  The Seabourn Encore is in that area March 2024

Appreciate the very good info and follow-ups from bitob and Mr Luxury.  Will check out that Seabourn Encore option for March 2024.  As Keith would say, it great to have options and various choices.  Will keep researching and considering the potentials.  

Agree 100% for the smart wisdom of "I don't think you compare anything until the New Crystal has sailed."

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

FWIW. Posted on the Crystal Society FB page: 

“Last night the dance hosts received emails from Compass saying that the dance host program is back in operation on Crystal, they will send 4 hosts on each cruise and Compass will manage the program.“

There will also be dance instructors as in the past.

Keith

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Terry, 

The first thing to remember is when Crystal ended in 2022 it was very much different than the Crystal you sailed and I think mainly for the good.

It is inclusive.  Not as inclusive as SS (no included excursions and a few other differences) but it does include items which were not included in 2008.  There is open dining.  There is more dining choice than in 2008.  Some of the venues were updated.  So please keep that in mind.

Some seem to think it will be radically different and that you can't make a decision until it sails. I totally disagree.  As you look at the web site and look at  the date that is in place with a lot more to come I see lots of similarities to Crystal.  Name of restaurants are the same other than one.  Bringing back Tastes which you didn't experience but many of us did an loved to replace the Asian restaurant which got mixed reviews.  

The crew will be very much Crystal. They are not robots. They won't change.

The person running entertainment is not the person from 2008 but the person who has been there the past several years and is busy  working on enrichment and entertainment. Ambassador Hosts return as do a couple offering dance instruction.

The person who developed the shore excursion program has returned.  So has the President..

And many of the society members are returning too.

So while there is a minority of people saying I have to know exactly what it will be like most of us expect it to have a lot in common with the old Crystal. Will it be the same?  Of course not but as I am saying it was already different than 2008.  It evolved and will continue to do so.

I have asked some questions of Crystal that come up on tihis forum and another one and it's interesting that often the answer is we are doing this in the same manner as old Crystal.  As information is added to the website that will become very apparent.

Similarly there was the fear when Crystal came back after COVID that the experience would be a lot different.  Having been on six of those sailings it was not.

I can't compare it to SS as I've done two of their cruises.  I have my views and everyone has there own.

The other thing you do know is he size of the ships. For some they prefer smaller while others prefer larger so you need to figure that out. Larger means more options from my experience across all cruise lines.

Good luck with your decision but I do not believe you need to wait for the restart to decide.

Keith

18 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Terry, The first thing to remember is when Crystal ended in 2022 it was very much different than the Crystal you sailed and I think mainly for the good.

So while there is a minority of people saying I have to know exactly what it will be like most of us expect it to have a lot in common with the old Crystal. Will it be the same?  Of course not but as I am saying it was already different than 2008.  It evolved and will continue to do so.

I can't compare it to SS as I've done two of their cruises.  I have my views and everyone has there own.

Good luck with your decision but I do not believe you need to wait for the restart to decide.   Keith

As always, the above information and background from super-star Keith is first-rate and well worth considering.  Keith also helpfully shared on the Silversea board certain of this info.  For us, the room size, caviar, etc., are not the major deciding factors.  Much for us is about timing (November 2023 versus February 2024), how pre-cruise options within India for Agra, etc., would fit, etc.  

For Keith or any others, we know the Silversea founder is deeply involved in the New Crystal.  But, how deep and solid is his financial commitment, backing and support?  Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidiohas has significant wealth, but he got there by being very smart and covering his "bets" with extreme personal care.  With Manfredi and Geoffrey Kent as Co-Chairman, is it reported publicly as to if any other major investors are supporting and backing up these borrowing required to buy and fix up these two older Crystal ships?  How long can the Crystal cash-flow support ALL of the major start-up costs and sustain the operational costs for the next two to three years?

If the New Crystal was listed on a major stock exchange with SEC, etc., disclosures required, it would make certain financial background more "transparent".  Right?  Is there any other way to know more for their longer-term financial support and depth? 

Look forward to continuing to research and learn more.  Appreciate knowing ALL of the many and fascinating details.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,772 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TLCOhio said:

As always, the above information and background from super-star Keith is first-rate and well worth considering.  Keith also helpfully shared on the Silversea board certain of this info.  For us, the room size, caviar, etc., are not the major deciding factors.  Much for us is about timing (November 2023 versus February 2024), how pre-cruise options within India for Agra, etc., would fit, etc.  

For Keith or any others, we know the Silversea founder is deeply involved in the New Crystal.  But, how deep and solid is his financial commitment, backing and support?  Manfredi Lefebvre d'Ovidiohas has significant wealth, but he got there by being very smart and covering his "bets" with extreme personal care.  With Manfredi and Geoffrey Kent as Co-Chairman, is it reported publicly as to if any other major investors are supporting and backing up these borrowing required to buy and fix up these two older Crystal ships?  How long can the Crystal cash-flow support ALL of the major start-up costs and sustain the operational costs for the next two to three years?

If the New Crystal was listed on a major stock exchange with SEC, etc., disclosures required, it would make certain financial background more "transparent".  Right?  Is there any other way to know more for their longer-term financial support and depth? 

Look forward to continuing to research and learn more.  Appreciate knowing ALL of the many and fascinating details.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 241,772 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

Terry I wouldn't want to venture on anyone's stability. Personally I am not concerned but I would never ever give advice on this because at the end of the day even with disclosure I have seen some situations even with what we thought was full transparency where it was not as people thought. 

What I would say is as many learned Travel Insurance is your friend but the key is to get the right insurance.  I also feel that American Express Card was also a friend.

In terms of the itinerary I know this will be part of your research but be sure to look at the weather.  I also know that often you like to do pre and post cruise stays so look at that as well as you factor in whether or not you do a 13 day or 19 day cruise.  Consider do you want to see more of India via ship on the 19 day itinerary or do you want to see more with a land program before you board.  I would extend your time at the end in Singapore as there is a good deal to see as well.

Due your due diligence as I know you will. 

Keith

21 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Terry I wouldn't want to venture on anyone's stability. Personally I am not concerned but I would never ever give advice on this because at the end of the day even with disclosure I have seen some situations even with what we thought was full transparency where it was not as people thought. What I would say is as many learned Travel Insurance is your friend but the key is to get the right insurance.  I also feel that American Express Card was also a friend. I also know that often you like to do pre and post cruise stays so look at that as well as you factor in whether or not you do a 13 day or 19 day cruise.  Consider do you want to see more of India via ship on the 19 day itinerary or do you want to see more with a land program before you board.  I would extend your time at the end in Singapore as there is a good deal to see as well.  Due your due diligence as I know you will.   Keith

Great, added insights and suggestions from super-savvy Keith for the varied aspects to consider with insurance, pre- and post-cruise options, etc.  Will keep researching!!  Many, many factors involved for such an adventure where we need to fly these long, long distances to India and back from Singapore.  

Lots of people love Singapore and I need to consider how much time is needed there for our interests after doing India and this long cruise.  And flying back from Singapore, what is best for getting back from that location to our Midwest home?  Going east or west?

On "financial transparency", YES, that can be challenging as even with a few stock market-listed and SEC-filing companies, things do not aways turn out accurate and secure. Lots of "sharks" out there in the corporate worlds these days.  

Especially in this post-Covid cruise re-building period, there are many "Mystery Meat" questions out there for the financial challenges with so much in debt loads for all companies involved.    

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,594 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Some seem to think it will be radically different and that you can't make a decision until it sails. I totally disagree.  As you look at the web site and look at  the date that is in place with a lot more to come I see lots of similarities to Crystal.  Name of restaurants are the same other than one.  Bringing back Tastes which you didn't experience but many of us did an loved to replace the Asian restaurant which got mixed reviews.  

We should appreciate that a cruise operation is complex with many moving parts. It may be the same ships essentially. But, how sophisticated is the cabin experience? Do they have infrared sensors for the lights? How extensive is the AV library on the TV?

There may be the same staffers in some of the jobs. But, what is the emphasis? Quality or speed? Will there be the little touches and the wow factor?

I'm not surprised that the new itineraries are repeats of the tried and true. But, how quickly will I tire of just two ships in the fleet?

The cruise experience is highly personal. Some aspects of the New Crystal will be similar to the Old. But, many aspects will be better or worse. We won't know how it affects us, until the first few cruises are done and how NC responds to the complaints and shortcomings.

Nothing is cast in stone. There may not be enough sustained demand at this high price level. Price discounting would change the cruise dynamics entirely. Stay tuned.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

We should appreciate that a cruise operation is complex with many moving parts. It may be the same ships essentially. But, how sophisticated is the cabin experience? Do they have infrared sensors for the lights? How extensive is the AV library on the TV?

There may be the same staffers in some of the jobs. But, what is the emphasis? Quality or speed? Will there be the little touches and the wow factor?

I'm not surprised that the new itineraries are repeats of the tried and true. But, how quickly will I tire of just two ships in the fleet?

The cruise experience is highly personal. Some aspects of the New Crystal will be similar to the Old. But, many aspects will be better or worse. We won't know how it affects us, until the first few cruises are done and how NC responds to the complaints and shortcomings.

Nothing is cast in stone. There may not be enough sustained demand at this high price level. Price discounting would change the cruise dynamics entirely. Stay tuned.

Of course we won't know.

And the same was true year after year.

Inclusive what would that be like? A major change.

Open dining what would that be like?  A major change.

Additional dining option what would that be like? A major change.

So of course there will be changes because there always were.

I am willing to find out without hesitation.

How can it be bad with spruced up ships, less guests on board, the same crew and if you look at the ratio of guests to crew I have no fears of service being degraded and with so many returning crew you know what to expect. We always had new crew as well so I have no fears of any new ones as well.

You have the same people planning entertainment and excursions with the latter benefiting from A&K. I have taken A&K tours through our travel agency and never disappointed.

One will never know until they experience it for themselves.  I have seen nothing that tells me anything will be "dumbed down" and I guess as someone who welcomes change I am open to that as well.

I can understand those who want to wait but for those of us who are ready to go I  don't see any downside to that.

Will everything be perfect?  No.  But it never was nor is any cruise line perfect.  

I guess for me I would prefer to experience something myself.  And the good news is we will sail with so many people we know and that in itself for me is a major plus or simple 1+++++++++++++++

Keith

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Great, added insights and suggestions from super-savvy Keith for the varied aspects to consider with insurance, pre- and post-cruise options, etc.  Will keep researching!!  Many, many factors involved for such an adventure where we need to fly these long, long distances to India and back from Singapore.  

Lots of people love Singapore and I need to consider how much time is needed there for our interests after doing India and this long cruise.  And flying back from Singapore, what is best for getting back from that location to our Midwest home?  Going east or west?

On "financial transparency", YES, that can be challenging as even with a few stock market-listed and SEC-filing companies, things do not aways turn out accurate and secure. Lots of "sharks" out there in the corporate worlds these days.  

Especially in this post-Covid cruise re-building period, there are many "Mystery Meat" questions out there for the financial challenges with so much in debt loads for all companies involved.    

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,594 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Thanks for your posts Terry in Ohio. They were refreshing and you brought important points to consideration.

In relation to Singapore, I do like that city. I would stay there at least three nights to have time to get a feeling of this interesting city. Considering what might be better, going East or West from Singapore, I have gone West when I was going to Berlin, but I have gone East when going to Los Angeles. 

Enjoy your travels.

Ivi

• Like 1

Here’s my take on this.  After experiencing what we all experienced in 2020 onwards, we should have learned something.  I personally learned that any cruise ship company will promise you the moon and possibly not deliver, either intentionally or unintentionally.  Even the old Crystal Cruises failed to deliver what it promised their loyal guests multiple times.

We have not seen the actual pictures of the refurbished ships or even a preview of it.  Many cruise lines show pictures/videos of the ongoing work to encourage booking.  Even the old Crystal Cruises have done it a few times.  I personally have not seen any of that.  I find that extremely odd.  I’m not saying that this is a big fraud, but seems really strange that everything sounds/looks so “preliminary.”  My best guess is that renovations are, at best, “in progress,” if not even not started.

I know some of us will want everything to be perfectly wonderful with the new Crystal and is willing to even try them out assuming that “there’s nothing to lose” by putting their faith in a partially (or mostly?  you decide!) unknown cruise line.  I personally have no problem with it.  If one is in a position to be able to gamble with their money/time in this manner, that’s great!  I am not in that position, unfortunately.  I also understand those who might be “afraid of missing out” for various reasons who is willing to risk a little.  That’s also understandable.

I am looking forward to see and hear from those who will be trying out the new Crystal.  Hopefully A&K will create something really good out of this.

But remember, some of us will promote Crystal (new or old) regardless of what he/she is promoting.  Is that irresponsible?  I certainly think so. Remember when old Crystal tried desperately to sell a bunch of holiday Caribbean cruises in August 2020, when the infection numbers were still going up?  At that time Iwarned people here (not that people really needed to be warned…those with a clue knew exactly what I was warning them about) that it is rather risky to commit your time and money for something like this, when we have no idea if some or all of the itineraries would even sail.  It turned out that most of these itineraries were cancelled, leaving a bunch of people scrambling for alternative plans, which were not easy to find at the last minute in middle of a pandemic.  I distinctly remember one of the cheerleaders saying that I was just being “negative,” and that we have to “help Crystal” by taking these cruises.  LOL.  Cruise lines, like any other for profit entities, make business decisions, and as long as the bottom like “makes sense” for the corporation AT THAT TIME, whatever decision will prevail.

So, I applaud those who wants to and is willing to try the new Crystal for a spin this year.  I wish you good luck and I am looking forward to hear your reports.

Edited by Psoque
changed a bit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Even if the new Crystal exceeds expectations there are still 2 issues that many prioritize when booking a cruise.

1.  old ships with small cabins -- despite the fact that many regulars love the ships and do not care about cabin size because "they are never in the cabin with so much to do," that is not true of most cruisers.  They like newer ships with larger cabins and all those extra dining venues.

2. only 2 ships -- limited itineraries to choose from -- you want to cruise in March 2024 for 2 weeks -- you have probably 4 itineraries at most.  For well travelled cruisers (other than Crystal diehards) that can be an issue.  Also, many cruisers find it boring to be on the same ship over and over -- not Crystal diehards i understand -- but trying something new is often fun and exciting.

Even when we sailed Crystal and it was our cruise line of choice we could never sail Crystal exclusively because with only 2 ships there was not much itinerary choice.

with SS, Regent and Seabourn together we have lots of itinerary choice.  We might add Explora after we hear honest reports.

The only way for the new Crystal to overcome those obstacles is to build new ships.  That will likely make prices rise even higher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Terry, I am with Ivi. If you can I would spend three days there because you have to ask yourself will you be back.  Some of the highlights are:  Gardens By The Bay, Chinatown, Little India. believe it or not the Zoo (seems silly but it was really great), Botanical Gardens, experiencing the street food, some might say shopping but not on my list other than Jim Thompson, Sentosa, and a few other sites.d

But I know you want to balance that with the length of cruise and what you do ahead of time in India.

Tip, in India everyone wants to take you to their friends and relative stores.  If you do a taxi be prepared for that. I was warned about it so the first time we were taking a taxi back to the pier in Mumbai. The driver said he wanted to take us shopping. We were just at the Taj Mahal Hotel. Full disclosure we didn't buy anything but I told the driver my wife bought so much clothing which they were going to deliver to the ship that I was out of money.  It worked. I do know a crew member who almost did't get back in time as the driver would not accept no when it came to shopping.  

Keith

15 minutes ago, CryptOkicker5 said:

What exactly is the new ratio of guests to crew? They have been very vague about giving the number of crew - did I read about 1 crew every passenger - or maybe they are generously rounding up that number so it looks better?

Yes on their web site. I am sure they are rounding up a tad.

Something which has not been promoted as much is the space to guest and I know they have it on their site but both ships were designed for a much higher number of guests and that number came down before now as regular rooms were converted to suites and come down again with more conversions so the public areas will feel ever more spacious which is a nice plus.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

I am willing to find out without hesitation...

I guess for me I would prefer to experience something myself.  And the good news is we will sail with so many people we know and that in itself for me is a major plus or simple 1

That shows how different we are. I have money to burn and too little time to do it. So, I have to be careful about dead-end streets.

There's so much choice in 2023-4. Explora will be sailing. Viking is expanding its ocean fleet and offering promotions. MSC will be expanding in North America, and the ship-in-a-ship setup is interesting. 

Then, there's quirky Ponant with their 10k ton ships (with just @100 cabins). Cruising to places less travelled, and the annoying habit of changing embarkation ports at the last minute. Still, I suppose that one day, I'll have to get into their zodiac rafts in Antarctica!

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

That shows how different we are. I have money to burn and too little time to do it. So, I have to be careful about dead-end streets.

There's so much choice in 2023-4. Explora will be sailing. Viking is expanding its ocean fleet and offering promotions. MSC will be expanding in North America, and the ship-in-a-ship setup is interesting. 

Then, there's quirky Ponant with their 10k ton ships (with just @100 cabins). Cruising to places less travelled, and the annoying habit of changing embarkation ports at the last minute. Still, I suppose that one day, I'll have to get into their zodiac rafts in Antarctica!

BY all means -- get in those zodiacs in Antarctica -- life changing!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bitob said:

Even if the new Crystal exceeds expectations there are still 2 issues that many prioritize when booking a cruise.

1.  old ships with small cabins -- despite the fact that many regulars love the ships and do not care about cabin size because "they are never in the cabin with so much to do," that is not true of most cruisers.  They like newer ships with larger cabins and all those extra dining venues.

2. only 2 ships -- limited itineraries to choose from -- you want to cruise in March 2024 for 2 weeks -- you have probably 4 itineraries at most.  For well travelled cruisers (other than Crystal diehards) that can be an issue.  Also, many cruisers find it boring to be on the same ship over and over -- not Crystal diehards i understand -- but trying something new is often fun and exciting.

Even when we sailed Crystal and it was our cruise line of choice we could never sail Crystal exclusively because with only 2 ships there was not much itinerary choice.

with SS, Regent and Seabourn together we have lots of itinerary choice.  We might add Explora after we hear honest reports.

The only way for the new Crystal to overcome those obstacles is to build new ships.  That will likely make prices rise even higher.

But for those who liked the old Crystal they know the ages of the ships and they also know the size of the rooms.  i thought that was the question here rather than comparing to other lines.

They have indicated they do plan to expand but that won' happen overnight.

What I can say is on those Nassau Cruises and I know you did some I met several first timers to Crystal who were blown away and wanted to come back.  I agree the challenge is getting people to take the plunge because of the age of the ships but that is for Crystal to figure out.  In the meantime I just plan to enjoy them as I did in the past.

Keith

5 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Not sure what you are saying.

Are you saying you have so little time so you can't wait till the restart.  Have you cruised Crystal before?  Just not following your point.

1 hour ago, bitob said:

1. Or to look at it differently, refurbished ships with great layouts and the majority of cabins now comparable to the newer ships. The majority of the cabins are now Aquamarine or Sapphire with several new Jr CPs. 

Hopefully when they do build the new ships they don’t get rid of the central core, or the walking track. What i do not like about these new ships is how all the areas seem so compartmentalized. Not as open a feel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for your posts Terry in Ohio. They were refreshing and you brought important points to consideration.   In relation to Singapore, I do like that city. I would stay there at least three nights to have time to get a feeling of this interesting city. Considering what might be better, going East or West from Singapore, I have gone West when I was going to Berlin, but I have gone East when going to Los Angeles. Enjoy your travels.   Ivi

Appreciate from travelberlin this follow-up and kind comments.  Will be digging deeper as to Singapore and its best, most important options to consider for this fast-rising city that has become such a major economic force in the world.  Lots of research and added checking to do.  Great insights from those on these Cruise Critic boards.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Terry, I am with Ivi. If you can I would spend three days there because you have to ask yourself will you be back.  Some of the highlights are:  Gardens By The Bay, Chinatown, Little India. believe it or not the Zoo (seems silly but it was really great), Botanical Gardens, experiencing the street food, some might say shopping.   I know you want to balance that with the length of cruise and what you do ahead of time in India.   Tip, in India everyone wants to take you to their friends and relative stores.  If you do a taxi be prepared for that. I was warned about it so the first time we were taking a taxi back to the pier in Mumbai. The driver said he wanted to take us shopping. We were just at the Taj Mahal Hotel. Full disclosure we didn't buy anything but I told the driver my wife bought so much clothing which they were going to deliver to the ship that I was out of money.  It worked. I do know a crew member who almost did't get back in time as the driver would not accept no when it came to shopping.  Keith

Awesome added details and specifics for Singapore from Keith and a correct understanding for needing to make the "overall trip plan" work and fit.  There is so much to see and do in India, Myanmar, Singapore, etc., that our limited budget and timings available cannot make ALL THINGS possible to do.  Have to make choices and set correct priorities.  

Super LOVED Keith's little white lie about him and his wife running out of money.  Cute and fun fib!!!!  Great tip to understand for visiting India.  Looking forward to exploring India with its great culture and history, plus a massive population in a relatively small geographic area.  Am copying and saving in my trip file these specific suggestions from Keith and others.  Keep it coming!!  Great to learn more.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,608 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

31 minutes ago, CryptOkicker5 said:

If it's not too much trouble, can you ask your source for something more specific, please?

They really need to be out in front on the ratio of passengers to crew or else it appears that they are obfuscating about it. There would be nothing wrong if it were 1.6 passengers to each crew member, give or take a tad, so really no reason not to be specific.

Crew staffing varies by occupancy — not exactly by cruise, but as the crew periodically depart and arrive, they will time the returning crew based on need (and sometimes even the departing crew, though less frequently, based on need).  So the “crew capacity” number posted on websites is a maximum, which may or may not be applicable on any given cruise.  For that reason, I wouldn’t get too hung up on exact numbers, because they are rarely accurate to that degree.

Crystal hasn’t fleshed out several product aspects that will vary the number of crew slightly — I suspect they’ll delay committing to an exact maximum until they know exactly which product elements make the cut…. But as Keith said, the rounded number should be within range of the practice all cruise lines use to give an estimate.

Vince

• Like 2

While we were waiting for the New Crystal, we booked a cruise with Seabourn.  I heard that they were honoring Crystal Society status so I checked them out and they are asking for  a "screenshot of Crystal Cruises account, showing membership level". Can anyone tell me IF or how I can get that?

Thanks

Hubert

Booked on Serenity , Nov, 22 day B2B trip Miami. NO AIR needed YAY! , plenty of sea days, the ship IS the destination.

13 minutes ago, CryptOkicker5 said:

But it goes to the level of service, and if they can state the passenger counts, 606 and 740, they should be able to state the number of corresponding crew.

Even if the exact hypothetical maximum capacity vs. hypothetical maximum crew were definitive of something (which within the degree of rounding it’s not, for the reasons I explained above), there are a couple of service aspects that are still being finalized that will drive that exact final count…. Like what kind of venue goes into to the casino’s spot.  (A casino will up headcount significantly, a bar will up headcount slightly, and an unstaffed space will up headcount by zero.)  Same goes for what kind of dining venue goes in where Umi Uma was to a smaller degree, and other service aspects still being decided.

Again, I get the importance of passenger-to-crew ratios, but I stress again not to get too hung up on an exact number because you’d need real occupancy and real crew numbers, all of which vary wildly, to get that fine a point on it.  The posted numbers can be 1:1, which is a good baseline of comparison, but one cruise will have a way higher ratio of crew, another cruise will have a slightly higher ratio of crew, and a third cruise may in rare cases actually have a higher ratio of passengers than that.  Sometimes the rounded numbers are the best ones to use.

Vince

• Like 1