do I have the right to be upset with TA room assigment

dencord7

Good evening, checking to see if I am in the right here or am I the one to blame. Last February, I had my TA book several cabins for this April 2nd MSC Mervillia cruise, and sixteen of us are all going together in eight cabins. Two cabins were for me and my husband, our daughter, her boyfriend, and two teen grandkids. I asked for two Fantastic balcony cabins with the free drinks and wi-fi connecting or near each other. After some back and forth, my TA sent me the paperwork and said she was able to get us two cabins next to each other. let her know if it was ok to move forward. I looked at paper work and saw the price and it said Fantastic balcony room 9095 & 9079 and had our free drink & wifi Then I checked names and dates of birth. I never looked at the very bottem of the papwer work were she says it says Deluxe Balcony (physicial Challenged) I never looked at deck plans until last night, as I never thought to untill my husband asked last night, but when looking at deck plans, it said HC, so I looked at several other deck plans to be sure I was seeing it correctly. I went into full pantic mode when I saw a video and it has no couch just a pullman bed. I contacted my TA as I never asked for a HC room and thought that was something we would have discussed. She said she got me what I asked for, and I never said a couch was important. She granted my request for two rooms near each other. I told her I now have two rooms with no couch, and I have rather tall and large kids, and they will not be able to fit on a pullman. She told me I should of saw it and not approved for her to move forword. I told her she should have asked me if I was okay with a handicapped room, which I am not. Further, no other room is open for us to move into, so I got stuck. I called MSC but they said only she can speak to them. She said its a spring break cruise and is sold out for my category.  

Personally I would not give up 9095 the balcony alone is awesome. 
HC rooms and their bathrooms are larger 

Thats a great room. 

The other room has sleeping for 3rd and 4th with a sofa and Pullman to make a bunk bed (that’s what the key says)

I would take 9095 and

give your daughter and family the room that sleeps 4. 

• Like 3

Was this a travel agent you have used in the past or just someone who handled the transaction at an online site?  It’s always important to specify anything that is important, such as a sofa, when booking through a travel agent or directly with a Cruise representative.

I usually book directly and choose my cabin, but I recently used a travel agent and she messaged me with the cabin options available while she was booking, so I was able to look at the deck plan and make sure it was ok. I also check the confirmation of the booking when received to ensure it matches the cabin I agreed to. The closer it gets to the cruise date, the harder it is to correct any errors.

From part experience on other lines, HC rooms are usually larger and have much larger bathrooms than regular cabins. I was assigned one on Carnival with a guarantee rate and it was great.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

Totally agree with @styles27  HC rooms are HUGE, as are the balconies.  You take that and the other is for the family with the teens.  

But to answer your first question, no, you had the option to review the cabin choices at the time of booking with your TA.  If you didn't understand the deck plan you could have asked for assistance at that time.  In fact, he/she probably shouldn't have booked a HC cabin that far out as it technically should have been for HC use only. (These cabins do open up for general sailing about 60 days out if not already booked)

• Like 5

I'm gonna go against the grain and say it's fair to be miffed. Could/should you have paid closer attention? Probably, but an HC room is extremely different from a regular room and I would expect my TA to draw attention to that fact and make extra sure it's okay. My TA even asked if I was okay with an aft-facing family balcony on Mera because the bunk beds changed the layout in a manner he felt was material enough to bring up. Does that mean I'm spoiled? Maybe, but these are the expectations I've developed based on the service I've received. I book with a TA because he helps ensure I don't overlook something important when I'm trying to book a school break sailing and am scared I'll get stuck with dregs. If your TA doesn't do that or think it's necessary, that's their prerogative, but I have confidence you can find one who would if that's what's important to you.

• Like 1

Your TA asked you if the rooms were ok. At that point it was incumbent upon you to take a look on the deck plans and decide for yourself. Additionally, often times you can find a YouTube video tour of the stateroom in question either on the exact ship or a sister. In this case I would say you are in the wrong and your TA actually did you a solid by reserving you a larger room and balcony. My experience with kids on vacation is that they are resilient and often the problems we think exist actually turn out to be only in our heads. I think you’ll be happy with this one. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

In fact, he/she probably shouldn't have booked a HC cabin that far out as it technically should have been for HC use only. (These cabins do open up for general sailing about 60 days out if not already booked)

You've highlighted a potential problem.  If the OP or TA does not send in the special needs form (which they probably can't if there is no "need'.), that room can be taken by a client who needs it.  That is something my sister did last year.   HC rooms were showing as sold out.  She told the MSC rep on the phone about her need, and with a few minutes, someone who had a HC room was moved.  I think her TA may have gone too far.

• Like 1

I’m confused because the two cabin numbers you listed are not next to each other. Did you perhaps mean 9095/9097, and not 9095/9079?  9095/9097 are both HC cabins with a Pullman.  Pullman beds are exactly the same size as the main bed is when separated into twins.  EM

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JAGR said:

You've highlighted a potential problem.  If the OP or TA does not send in the special needs form (which they probably can't if there is no "need'.), that room can be taken by a client who needs it.  That is something my sister did last year.   HC rooms were showing as sold out.  She told the MSC rep on the phone about her need, and with a few minutes, someone who had a HC room was moved.  I think her TA may have gone too far.

This.

From traveling with another couple that needed the an accessible stateroom, I know that MSC will accept a reservation for an accessible stateroom.

However, the reservation confirmation includes the statement that additional information  demonstrating need  that give the particulars of the need including a signed doctor's note of fitness to travel, must be received by MSC within a certain time period.

If the required information is not received by the deadline, the passengers may be moved to a non accessible cabin.

33 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I’m confused because the two cabin numbers you listed are not next to each other. Did you perhaps mean 9095/9097, and not 9095/9079?  9095/9097 are both HC cabins with a Pullman.  Pullman beds are exactly the same size as the main bed is when separated into twins.  EM

I thought that as well but she didn’t correct herself and the two rooms are in the same area 

I don’t think the agent would have put 4 people in a room that can only accommodate 3 like the 2 handicap rooms you mentioned 

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

This.

From traveling with another couple that needed the an accessible stateroom, I know that MSC will accept a reservation for an accessible stateroom.

However, the reservation confirmation includes the statement that additional information  demonstrating need  that give the particulars of the need including a signed doctor's note of fitness to travel, must be received by MSC within a certain time period.

If the required information is not received by the deadline, the passengers may be moved to a non accessible cabin.

I may not have said it correctly, but that was the point I was trying to make.  If you demonstrate the need for an accessible cabin, MSC will try and accommodate you.  You should not need a doctor's note unless you declare a potential problem with traveling.  The Special Needs request should be enough.  

37 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The OP requested connecting or "near each other". I guess the travel agent did the best that he/she could.

On one side, the agent might not have known that the stateroom was wheelchair accessible. MSC doesn't see a distinction when booking so anyone (by accident or intentionally) could book one of them. It sucks because someone who needs one will see that stateroom as already booked/sold out.

For the OP, I would consider it a lesson learned. I'm very particular with stateroom choice and wouldn't trust anyone else to select my stateroom. If I was assigned something, I would immediately check the details/location of the assigned room. The travel agent did ask before moving forward and the OP agreed. Waiting nearly a year and then checking is too long to expect the travel agent to get new staterooms near each other for a Spring Break cruise.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The OP requested connecting or "near each other". I guess the travel agent did the best that he/she could.

On one side, the agent might not have known that the stateroom was wheelchair accessible. MSC doesn't see a distinction when booking so anyone (by accident or intentionally) could book one of them. It sucks because someone who needs one will see that stateroom as already booked/sold out.

For the OP, I would consider it a lesson learned. I'm very particular with stateroom choice and wouldn't trust anyone else to select my stateroom. If I was assigned something, I would immediately check the details/location of the assigned room. The travel agent did ask before moving forward and the OP agreed. Waiting nearly a year and then checking is too long to expect the travel agent to get new staterooms near each other for a Spring Break cruise.

Yes, but the OP stated that the TA said she was able to get two cabins ‘next to each other’.  EM

31 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Agree. 

It’s hard to believe some people don’t check their reservations weekly (or daily lol) like I do. 

I’m actually surprised that the HC room assignment hasn’t been changed to someone with a need. It’s been a year since the agent picked the room. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

I think you are correct about the room number being wrong, since she said they were next to each other.  The bigger problem, I think, is that there is no real pullman bed in the HC deluxe rooms.  There are a number of videos of Meraviglia Deluxe HC balcony cabins, and none show beds.  OP should really check those rooms.

33 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, but the OP stated that the TA said she was able to get two cabins ‘next to each other’.  EM

Oh, ok. I see what you're saying. If the OP meant to type "9097" instead of "9079", both would be accessible. 

I read it as the grandparents (2) would be in one stateroom and the daughter/boyfriend & grandkids (4) would be down the hall. That's why I thought that 9079 would make sense since it sleeps 4. 

If it's 3 + 3, that's probably a problem no matter what the stateroom type. 

I see...

15 hours ago, dencord7 said:

I asked for two Fantastic balcony cabins with the free drinks and wi-fi connecting or near each other.

After some back and forth, my TA sent me the paperwork and said she was able to get us two cabins next to each other.

She granted my request for two rooms near each other.

...so we need some clarification from the OP. 

Could the travel agent have gotten 2 standard staterooms next to each other a year in advance? Probably. 

Could the travel agent have gotten 2 wheelchair accessible staterooms a year in advance?

Probably.

I'm guessing that the travel agent put more emphasis on the rooms being "connecting or near each other" than on anything else. 

...more info needed but at this point, it is what it is as far as stateroom assignment. 

4 minutes ago, JAGR said:

I think you are correct about the room number being wrong, since she said they were next to each other.  The bigger problem, I think, is that there is no real pullman bed in the HC deluxe rooms.  There are a number of videos of Meraviglia Deluxe HC balcony cabins, and none show beds.  OP should really check those rooms.

According to the deck plan (we know how accurate they are 🤪) there is a pullman in both accessible staterooms.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

11 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

According to the deck plan (we know how accurate they are 🤪) there is a pullman in both accessible staterooms.

I know what you are saying about the pullman being listed.  The three videos that had only the one main bed also show a pullman.  Never knew that MSC IT has expanded into deck plan design! 😉

The same thing happened to me on Norwegian a few years ago. I had a cabin right by the elevator because we have some trouble walking long distances now and shortly before the cruise they "upgraded" to another cabin which gave us a long walk to anywhere.

We asked for our original cabin back and they refused saying "it was already booked". I said "Mine was originally booked too, but you took it away from me and gave it to them. If you can take mine away and give it to them, why can't you take theirs away and give it back to me? I was Platinum then and expected a little more than a first time cruiser but they refused to give us another cabin.

9 hours ago, styles27 said:

The TA is correct I looked at that sailing and only YC and Interior rooms are available all other categories are sold old. 

@dencord7 please let us know how this works out. 

11 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On one side, the agent might not have known that the stateroom was wheelchair accessible. MSC doesn't see a distinction when booking so anyone (by accident or intentionally) could book one of them. 

MSC actually does see a distinction when booking.  When booking , number of passengers , etc are selected. Two areas must be selected to be able to see Accessible Cabins available.

MSC also charges more for HC cabins, whether this is legal is above my pay grade.

We were looking for cruise for couple who required HC cabin. 
Contacted TA and gave him  all info for their Booking for HC cabin.

He had to call MSC and get supervisor to OK final booking.

Stateroom 1 

(18+)Adults
+
(12 - 17)Teens

+
(2 - 11)Children

+
(0 - 1)Infants

+
disabled-signinfo-circle

One must select reduced Mobility and wheelchair icon.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, phissy said:

MSC actually does see a distinction when booking.  When booking , number of passengers , etc are selected. Two areas must be selected to be able to see Accessible Cabins available.

This must be rather new because I have (accidentally) booked a wheelchair accessible stateroom for someone on MSC. I later corrected it when the website was corrected and the deck plan was updated.

Over on the NCL boards, this topic comes up occasionally and I remember checking Celebrity, RCCL, MSC, Carnival, and NCL to see if it could be done without checking any box indicating wheelchair access is needed.  MSC was one of the lines that didn't need a box to be checked along with NCL.  

I just tried a mock booking on MSC and now see that the box needs to be checked. 👍

That makes the OP's situation even more disturbing. 

If the travel agent had to intentionally check the accessible box, it is no longer a simple accident. It's possible that a year ago, a check wasn't needed...?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:41 AM, JAGR said:

Hi Sorry I had the wrong room number 9095/9097 are the correct rooms. We have three in each room

• Like 1