Cruising at Christmas

Fletcher

I have only done one Christmas cruise with Seabourn and that was on the Quest to Antarctica and South Georgia.  It was a very civilised affair with well behaved passengers.  I am now considering another Christmas cruise on the Quest but this one is 30 days around the Caribbean, sailing from Miami to Miami and back again. I am slightly concerned that this considerably 'softer' itinerary in warm waters might be a wholly different experience.  By that I mean, lots of children, lots of partying on deck, loud music, even rowdiness, big family groups, that sort of thing.  We would absolutely hate that.  

Can people here give any advice, warnings or even reassurance?  Many thanks.

We did a Christmas/NY Aust/NZ 4 years ago and loved it. 16 days great vibe, all adults with Ross Roberts (did I say adults? 🙈). Classy, fun, relaxed. Would do it again in a heartbeat. We were surprised there were quite a few Americans on board escaping family demands/awkward get togethers and the timing suited their limited holiday allowance. All in the best of spirits. Thinking of lining up again this year.

The Caribbean will definitely have the party vibe,  I’m reading B2B with a return to Miami in the middle ? which may attract families for a shorter trip. We would find that something to avoid too. In 2014 we did the small Regent Navigator 12 day Caribbean after Quest BA to FTL. Perhaps it was going from the sublime to the ridiculous. It was overrun with loud multigenerational families - all having a good time eating and drinking everything in sight, but not our scene. Still can’t look at chicken wings. 

Hope it works out for you as Christmas away is a joy.

Before Covid we took a Christmas cruise with Seabourn most years. We have had great experiences on Caribbean cruises at that time of year, but they are rather more lively than the rest of the year. There have been children onboard every time, most frequently young e.g under 10 years old. There were fewer children on a 21 day cruise, as BasandSyb pointed out a back to back is likely to attract more families than a longer cruise.

However a Singapore to Hong Kong cruise on Ovation offered up all of the negatives you mentioned. Large rowdy multigenerational groups, children running wild and so on. It was challenging to find a peaceful space to work, or read, or just relax. It definitely didn't feel like Seabourn. I felt as if I needed a holiday afterwards.

I would reiterate what the previous two posters have said. In 2012 We did a late transatlantic with a B2B 7 day Caribbean from 17th to 23rd Dec on the Spirit. The TA was  great, all adults, very civilized, but a 'Xmas party' crowd embarked for the Caribbean, with children and spoilt teenagers while the ship's bars felt like a rowdy end of the week party in NYC's Financial District.

Two weeks over Christmas and the New Year on the Legend in the Indian Ocean the previous year was altogether more refined, but great fun, though a short bout of fisticuffs was attempted by one tired and emotional passenger at the New Year Eve's party.

I think you need to choose an itinerary that does not involve any B2Bs, preferably one departing before the school holidays begin.

Edited by Flamin_June

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I have only done one Christmas cruise with Seabourn and that was on the Quest to Antarctica and South Georgia.  It was a very civilised affair with well behaved passengers.  I am now considering another Christmas cruise on the Quest but this one is 30 days around the Caribbean, sailing from Miami to Miami and back again. I am slightly concerned that this considerably 'softer' itinerary in warm waters might be a wholly different experience.  By that I mean, lots of children, lots of partying on deck, loud music, even rowdiness, big family groups, that sort of thing.  We would absolutely hate that.  

Can people here give any advice, warnings or even reassurance?  Many thanks.

We would absolutely hate it too!  And this is why we have never cruised at Christmas.  We are friendly, but sedate and quiet.  We started cruising late in life because we thought all cruises would be the raucous groups of partiers.  Finally, some friends convinced us to try Silversea  years ago and we saw how civilized cruising could be.   While Miami to Miami would be easy for us, I am more than slightly concerned.  

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

We would absolutely hate it too!  And this is why we have never cruised at Christmas.  We are friendly, but sedate and quiet.  We started cruising late in life because we thought all cruises would be the raucous groups of partiers.  Finally, some friends convinced us to try Silversea  years ago and we saw how civilized cruising could be.   While Miami to Miami would be easy for us, I am more than slightly concerned.  

Yes,you and Fletcher stay away from these Christmas Caribbean Cruises.

They are far too jolly for sedate folks and no snow,ice or smelly penguins for Fletcher to photograph.

Seriously they are a joy and sometimes have a few children on board but I have never had any issues or bad behaviour from them.

The atmosphere is great especially if Ross Roberts is the CD.

Dip a toe in and book.

This life that we live is not a dress rehearsal.

• Like 6

We once did a B2B Caribbean with the second week over Christmas on Spirit. The 2nd week a large family group came on and pretty much took over the ship … bars, restaurants and pool deck. Dynamic changed completely and not in a good way. We vowed never again. Be prepared for anything cause its luck of the draw.

8 minutes ago, Cantara24 said:

We once did a B2B Caribbean with the second week over Christmas on Spirit. The 2nd week a large family group came on and pretty much took over the ship … bars, restaurants and pool deck. Dynamic changed completely and not in a good way. We vowed never again. Be prepared for anything cause its luck of the draw.

Yes those smaller lovely old ships could be taken over by even a small group in the dining room.

I remember getting involved with a Russian group who were drunk and obnoxious and rude to staff.

Security were called and we ushered them from the dining room to avoid more trouble.

The captain dealt with them the next day and they were given another room for private dinners from then on.

Having done the most recent holiday season on Sojourn.   Do not recall seeing children.   But I've never seen so many adults with walking assisted or mobile devices on any cruise ever.  Also, a very high percentage appeared to have been recruited from a homeless encampment.   Nothing about this 16 day cruise was favorably memorable.   This was the third holiday cruise in four years on this itinerary and the first that I did not see a familiar passenger face and very few among crew.

Most unfortunate was having to see the pretend piano player in observation bar for third time on a SB ship.   She was a last minute replacement for this segment.   Well, what piano player worth two cents can be recruited for a holiday cruise?

5 minutes ago, saminina said:

Having done the most recent holiday season on Sojourn.   Do not recall seeing children.   But I've never seen so many adults with walking assisted or mobile devices on any cruise ever.  Also, a very high percentage appeared to have been recruited from a homeless encampment.   Nothing about this 16 day cruise was favorably memorable.   This was the third holiday cruise in four years on this itinerary and the first that I did not see a familiar passenger face and very few among crew.

Most unfortunate was having to see the pretend piano player in observation bar for third time on a SB ship.   She was a last minute replacement for this segment.   Well, what piano player worth two cents can be recruited for a holiday cruise?

I hear Barry Manilow is available 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, saminina said:

So you are saying the guests were poorly dressed.  

I've mentioned to Mr. SLSD that jeans can now be worn in the main dining room.  He is not impressed.  I just don't like the picture you are paining saminina.  I seem to recall that we were on a cruise with you, but you didn't identify yourself so we missed meeting (I think).  

Edited by SLSD

Overall, a very unSeabounish experience.    On the bright side, excellent navel oranges delivered daily with my preferred water.     Unlike SS, they have not tossed the fish knives overboard.

I'm in the process of forgetting this ever happened.   A milestone award covered most of the cost, so we escape SB even.   

2 hours ago, saminina said:

This is an example of how two people on the same cruise can have diametrically opposed views. 

I felt that this was an outstanding cruise, combining a cheerful holiday atmosphere with the lighthearted joy of cruising the Caribbean.  I am baffled that a "very high percentage appeared to have been recruited from a homeless encampment."  This in entirely contrary to what I saw. 

There were multiple (almost daily) poolside parties with caviar, sushi, drinks, etc., accompanied by live music.  I'm not a big party person, in fact I generally shun them, but I was won over by the excellence of these experiences.  If you truly don't want a party atmosphere, you could merely avoid the pool deck for 45 - 60 minutes at ~ 5:00PM on the days of the parties and you will have solved your problem.

Getting back to the OP's concerns, there were exactly two children on this cruise, so this was not an issue at all.

If you pick a cruise that is at least two weeks long (this one was 16 days) and not back-to-back one week cruises, my guess is that you'll be ok. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

This is an example of how two people on the same cruise can have diametrically opposed views. 

I felt that this was an outstanding cruise, combining a cheerful holiday atmosphere with the lighthearted joy of cruising the Caribbean.  I am baffled that a "very high percentage appeared to have been recruited from a homeless encampment."  This in entirely contrary to what I saw. 

There were multiple (almost daily) poolside parties with caviar, sushi, drinks, etc., accompanied by live music.  I'm not a big party person, in fact I generally shun them, but I was won over by the excellence of these experiences.  If you truly don't want a party atmosphere, you could merely avoid the pool deck for 45 - 60 minutes at ~ 5:00PM on the days of the parties and you will have solved your problem.

Getting back to the OP's concerns, there were exactly two children on this cruise, so this was not an issue at all.

If you pick a cruise that is at least two weeks long (this one was 16 days) and not back-to-back one week cruises, my guess is that you'll be ok. 

I enjoy the poolside parties and always attend.  We may be sedate and quiet, but love parties--as long as there are not raucous coarsely loud people giving the party a flavor that is not pleasant.  I also don't mind children as long as they are well behaved.  Family groups are also fine as long as they are well behaved and understand that they should not stand out and overpower the rest of the passengers as a group.  

I still want clarification from Saminina about the homeless encampment.  I assumed she/he was referring to dress.  Perhaps it was something else.  

11 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

With the new, downgraded dress code passengers may dress exactly how the refugees outside the hotel in Manhattan.   They all wore jeans and sport shirts so they could have easily dined in the Seabourn Restaurant.   I fully understand the homeless encampment.

The Holiday Cruise on Sojourn was prior to the change in dress code, so the earlier comment regarding a homeless encampment would not relate to the new dress code. 

The things I care about, most do not.  And what most care about, I do not.

Used to enjoy caviar on SB. Wouldn't touch what they serve today.   Of course, most passengers load theirs with condiments and have no idea of the underlying product.

I do not attend social functions.   Pool parties, whatever happens on this deck is avoided.

I'll stick with my opinion of seeing too many slobs on this cruise.  And this is not a reference to people wearing jeans.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, saminina said:

Used to enjoy caviar on SB. Wouldn't touch what they serve today.   Of course, most passengers load theirs with condiments and have no idea of the underlying product.

I do not attend social functions.   Pool parties, whatever happens on this deck is avoided.

I'll stick with my opinion of seeing too many slobs on this cruise.  And this is not a reference to people wearing jeans.

Don't see you going back if it's this bad then.

• Like 2

Bad?   It's different.   Never say never.   But I would say not this year.  SB has been a disappointment and I'd rather try newer.     There is zero excitement entering the same old SB suite.   Explora, Mozart river, crossing on Dawn, and Endeavor to Norway is enough for this year.    So three of four are first time experiences.

16 hours ago, saminina said:

Bless your heart.  Life is so difficult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Thanks for all the amusement and insights on this thread.  I have nixed the idea of a Caribbean cruise over Christmas.  Whenever I see a post from @Mr Luxury I think of Charles Dickens and a legal firm called Snide, Sneer and Pithy.  

I've retired from the firm now but still have the controlling interest.😁

Ebenezer says he taught you well Fletch

we were on w/ Flecther for the Quest to Antartica (Markham was also on that sailing) - a great trip.  Have also done a few Christmas /New Years cruises on Seabourn including thru the Panama Canal.  Definitely a different experience but all were a great time.  This year we will be joining long time Seabourn friends on a different cruise line over the holiday.